Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:17 pm 

Which of the later era Paradise Lost albums do sound like "Draconian Times"?

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:20 am 

Thexhumed wrote:
Which of the later era Paradise Lost albums do sound like "Draconian Times"?

Tragic Idol would probably be your best bet. I would say it leans closest to the 'gothic metal with heavy/doom elements' approach that Icon and Draconian Times did.

I actually heard their albums are just field recordings of penguin colonies slowed down 99%

Amosofnlm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:43 am 

Present unto me thy most crushingly heavy doom!
Doom to rend heaven and earth!
Doom to raise lost cities from 'neath the oceans!
Doom to shatter the fragile minds of men!!!

Amosofnlm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:32 am 

Amosofnlm wrote:
Present unto me...

Kodiak are a good point of reference.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:01 am 

Amosofnlm wrote:
Present unto me thy most crushingly heavy doom!
Doom to rend heaven and earth!
Doom to raise lost cities from 'neath the oceans!
Doom to shatter the fragile minds of men!!!

One hundred possible answers to that request. Some points of reference could help. Sludge, Funeral, Drone, Death Doom, Post-doom, instrumental or not have all given birth to earth-shattering songs, but the moods in display can be drastically different.

Amosofnlm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:48 pm 

I'm looking for whatever the words "crushingly heavy doom" mean to you.

Edit: see above for point of reference but really whatever you consider crushingly heavy.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:29 am 

Omega Massif is another instrumental post-doom band that is less bleak than Kodiak, with richer tones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlHp2sxN4Mc

All year of No Light's productions are certainly crushing and exciting. For instance, check out Tocsin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBFYTNXaP5U

I must recommend Löbo as well; instrumental, desolate kind of doom. Crawling atmospheres full of subtle shades. This one is something more akin to Kodiak perhaps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9NPCwsOF6s

this is crushing by my standards, mostly sludge doom:

https://thelosthours.bandcamp.com/album ... the-divine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cmtl74bfEs
https://greywidow.bandcamp.com/album/ii
https://forn.bandcamp.com/album/demo-tape
https://offerstigen.bandcamp.com/track/solens-in-lvor

and some others in the FD field..

Amosofnlm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:21 am 

Checking them out, thanks you.

So far I've enjoyed Omega Massif. I'd actually heard them years ago and forgotten about them.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:57 am 

Amosofnlm wrote:
Checking them out, thanks you.

So far I've enjoyed Omega Massif. I'd actually heard them years ago and forgotten about them.

Be sure to check out Moss Sub Templum as well. It's one of those cult beacons in Heavy Doom.

Last edited by Morphine1873 on Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
In_Zane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:20 am 

Any Atmo/Funeral Doom akin to ''Shape of Despair''?

AuthorOfWoh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:11 pm 

Can someone recommend Doom/Death songs that have soaring Epic Doom-style cleans? I'm thinking of this Mourning Beloveth track as an example. The claens sound out of Solstice or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMP4g6DcYiM

Amosofnlm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:21 am 

Morphine1873 wrote:
Year of No Light

Löbo

this is crushing by my standards, mostly sludge doom:

Year of No Light I like in large parts but then some parts don't do it for me. I'll have to listen to them further to make up my mind about them completely.

Löbo are cool though I found myself wishing at times that they'd speed up a bit and bring things to a massive crescendo(crushendo!) Will be listening to them more though as well.

Of the others I like Fórn and Grey Widow so I be checking out more of their work.

Thanks Morphine!

Edit: I have Sub Templum on cd actually and while I like parts of it other parts tend to drag. To me one chord every ten seconds does not a riff make.

P.S. Also, I've sent you a PM.

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:03 pm 

AuthorOfWoh wrote:
Can someone recommend Doom/Death songs that have soaring Epic Doom-style cleans? I'm thinking of this Mourning Beloveth track as an example. The claens sound out of Solstice or something.

The 11th Hour should be exactly what you're looking for.

Spoiler: show

Arcane Sun (also from Ireland) played doom/death with a mix of grunts and really powerful, melodic epic cleans.

Hamferð are a bit on the more melodic side, but overall play a mix of doom/death with passionate, beautiful clean singing and gnarly grunts.

In_Zane wrote:

Remembrance are where its at. They're pretty much as close as you can get to Shape of Despair without actually being SoD.

Consummatum Est are a good fit musically, though they're a lot more lo-fi than SoD and don't have the same lush, ethereal sounding production.

Colosseum released three really solid atmo/funeral doom albums in the vein of SoD.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:21 am 

AuthorOfWoh wrote:

There's this band, The Living Fields, which mixes doom growls and some over-the-top histrionic epic vocals. A very tasty mix I think, and a band that should have had more success (note that MB are far more sinister-sounding though, this one I recommend is more energizing)

This is their second full-length album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzWkKmB8aKQ

~Guest 881392
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:04 am 

A bit obvious but still... doom/death with cleans is the realm of My Dying Bride. Morgion have some as well but nothing close to more classic doom. Later Novembers Doom also have quite a few clean vocals.

dm0978
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:20 pm 

I'm been obsessed in finding a song or band. I used to have a cassette that I recorded from a radio station, but I lost it.
When I was between 20 and 22, I listen to a song that really made an impression on me, and now that I'm back into black metal, death, doom... I'm trying to find it. If somebody can help me to narrow down my options. This is what I have; It got to be from the 90's, funeral doom with the deepest growling and clean female vocals some sort of beauty and the beast, The voice was really evil, deep, demonic and spooky, alternating with a clean and beautiful female voice, the guitars really heavy and low but at the same time really raw! the atmosphere was malignant like a good 90's black metal. I general the song was more like an epic story with cinematic feeling. I heard "Tragedies" from Funeral, but no luck, the voice is not so deep and satanic like what I heard. If somebody can help me I would appreciated.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:06 am 

and how old are you now? :D when was it that you listened to it, and do you think it was new at the time?

A date, even vague, between two or three years, could help.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:16 am 

dm0978 wrote:
I'm been obsessed in finding a song or band. I used to have a cassette that I recorded from a radio station, but I lost it.
When I was between 20 and 22, I listen to a song that really made an impression on me, and now that I'm back into black metal, death, doom... I'm trying to find it. If somebody can help me to narrow down my options. This is what I have; It got to be from the 90's, funeral doom with the deepest growling and clean female vocals some sort of beauty and the beast, The voice was really evil, deep, demonic and spooky, alternating with a clean and beautiful female voice, the guitars really heavy and low but at the same time really raw! the atmosphere was malignant like a good 90's black metal. I general the song was more like an epic story with cinematic feeling. I heard "Tragedies" from Funeral, but no luck, the voice is not so deep and satanic like what I heard. If somebody can help me I would appreciated.

Funeral doom on the radio in the U.S.??????

Morphine1873 wrote:
and how old are you now? :D when was it that you listened to it, and do you think it was new at the time?

Recording songs form the radio onto cassettes was popular in the 80s, but since he thinks this band/song must be from the 90s, I'm going to guess the 90s was when he recorded it from the radio. Although funeral doom on the radio is too weird for me to imagine.

dm0978
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:42 am 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
dm0978 wrote:

Funeral doom on the radio in the U.S.??????

Morphine1873 wrote:

Recording songs form the radio onto cassettes was popular in the 80s, but since he thinks this band/song must be from the 90s, I'm going to guess the 90s was when he recorded it from the radio. Although funeral doom on the radio is too weird for me to imagine.

Yes, it is weird in the US, but I recorded it from a radio station in Guadalajara Mexico. between the years 94 and 97.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:17 pm 

yeah, but ten years (almost) of Funeral Doom is a long period to search!

I'd suggested Paradise Lost' Gothic... not too-deep growls though, and not FD, but old memories can easily deceive.

or more fitting to the description, Thorns of the Carrion' The Scarlet Tapestry - it ticks all the boxes - although the FD tag is questionable.

edit: I'm listening to it, and I don't hear female vocals.. so, it is not that.

re-edit: Paramaecium - Exhumed from the Earth of 1994 or the follow-up from 1996, Within the Ancient Forest, which has more female vocals might be the album you 're looking for- although it is not funeral doom but plain gothic death doom.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ5M1-opt4k

Darkmann
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:05 pm 

Hey, I've been listening to Acid Mammoth's album Under Acid Hoof recently, and I'm wondering if there's anything more or less the same I can find from different bands? Cheers

dm0978
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:42 pm 

Morphine1873 wrote:
yeah, but ten years (almost) of Funeral Doom is a long period to search!

I'd suggested Paradise Lost' Gothic... not too-deep growls though, and not FD, but old memories can easily deceive.

or more fitting to the description, Thorns of the Carrion' The Scarlet Tapestry - it ticks all the boxes - although the FD tag is questionable.

edit: I'm listening to it, and I don't hear female vocals.. so, it is not that.

re-edit: Paramaecium - Exhumed from the Earth of 1994 or the follow-up from 1996, Within the Ancient Forest, which has more female vocals might be the album you 're looking for- although it is not funeral doom but plain gothic death doom.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ5M1-opt4k

Thank you for the recommendation! I really like them, they are pretty close to what I heard. I can definitely enjoy those voices from The scarlet tapestry, and the atmosphere of Exhumed from Earth

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:32 pm 

Hey everyone, can anyone recommend me albums/bands that sound like Thergothon's Stream from the Heavens? Thanks in advance!

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:34 am 

MRmehman wrote:
Hey everyone, can anyone recommend me albums/bands that sound like Thergothon's Stream from the Heavens? Thanks in advance!

funny. As mentioned in a thread about Funeral, their album Tristesse sounds quite alike. Check out also Cathedral's In Memorium and Forest of Equlibirum.

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:14 am 

Morphine1873 wrote:
MRmehman wrote:

funny. As mentioned in a thread about Funeral, their album Tristesse sounds quite alike. Check out also Cathedral's In Memorium and Forest of Equlibirum.

Those albums weren't quite what I was looking (I think I'm looking for funeral doom with more keyboards and lots of flange in the guitar tone) for but they were nonetheless very good. I've never enjoyed Cathedral much but that EP of their was great and I'm glad I gave it a shot.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:11 am 

MRmehman wrote:
Those albums weren't quite what I was looking (I think I'm looking for funeral doom with more keyboards and lots of flange in the guitar tone) for but they were nonetheless very good. I've never enjoyed Cathedral much but that EP of their was great and I'm glad I gave it a shot.

I guess I see what you mean: that "swept" sound, low and stretched? Funeral's Tristesse similarities to Therothon, I hear them mostly in the raspy, kind of chopped vocals, the overall pace and the occult atmosphere.

That sound you're after, the flanger stuff, Esoteric do it a lot.

I guess the demo of Profetus would be something you'd like too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=favgdKLB110

Funeral Moth is worth checking out also for something as ugly and primitive as Thergothon. But it's not the same overall vibe I get from it, at all in fact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPUXHPZbt0g

thses two recs given with caution... :)

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:03 pm 

That Profetus demo is very interesting, I had never heard of them.

How about Katatonia's 92 rehearsal? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Apj6lFto000
It's faster in tempo, but fits the vibe and sound imo

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:20 am 

Yeah, Profetus were once interesting.

I've found out this morning about this band, SMOKE that plays a nice, laid-back stoner doom, melo and ethereal. Not super personal by any means, but a very pleasant trip:

https://thecultofsmoke.bandcamp.com/album/groupthink

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:40 pm 

Morphine1873 wrote:
I guess the demo of Profetus would be something you'd like too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=favgdKLB110
Funeral Moth is worth checking out also for something as ugly and primitive as Thergothon. But it's not the same overall vibe I get from it, at all in fact.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPUXHPZbt0g
thses two recs given with caution... :)

No caution needed, that Profetus album was exactly what I was looking for. Fuzzy and lo-fi - like the cassette it was recorded onto is falling to bits in the tape deck. It's just great shit, I'll have to check out more from those guys. I'm also very impressed that they came out with that track in 2007; it sounds way older, more like something recorded in the 90's than modern funeral doom.

Funeral Moth seem pretty cool too and there's never not a reason to go listen to early Esoteric.

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool
Edgy Metal Noob Catchphrase Dispenser

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:22 pm 

Does anyone have any recommendations for symphonic atmospheric sludge?

recyclage wrote:
Anyone who writes "The Deftones" isn't trustworthy.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:59 am 

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool wrote:

Atmo sludge, I can see what it can sound like, but symphonic sludge.. this is so antithetic..! never heard any project that uses symphonic elements and still can boast the sludge tag; curious to see if anyone has something to suggest.

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:53 pm 

Morphine1873 wrote:

Atmo sludge, I can see what it can sound like, but symphonic sludge.. this is so antithetic..! never heard any project that uses symphonic elements and still can boast the sludge tag; curious to see if anyone has something to suggest.

Atmosludge has already been a thing for a while, but a lot of people call it "Post-Metal". I recommend checking the "(is x a real genre?)" thread to learn more about it.

What I'm asking for is "post-metal" with symphonic elements.

recyclage wrote:

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:41 am 

It's clearer when speaking of post-metal. ;) Sludge to me is another thing.

I was recommending in the "post-metal rec thread" a couple of weeks ago a post-bm bands which uses lots of sci-fi-sounding synths, the whole conveying a real symphonic vibe: https://caelestra.bandcamp.com/album/black-widow-nebula , and his voice has some sludgy inflections...

we agree that there's no link whatever to the sludge scene per se which is dirtier, grittier, heavier...

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:01 pm 

The absolute closest I can think of would be SubRosa or Dead to a Dying World, but neither are precisely "symphonic" in the typical sense of the word. Moreso, violin or viola are featured prominently in the mix. On top of that, SubRosa were very stoner/doomy rather than straight sludge, while Dead to a Dying World also feature post-rock and black metal elements.

That being said, both bands combine gorgeous violin melodies over sludgy riffs, if that at least resembles something you're looking for.

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:09 am 

Can anyone recommend some quality Doom Metal. I have been into the genre off and on for years. Some bands I like are

Doom:VS
Comatose Vigil
Mourning Beloveth

I am basically looking for really slow crushing sound

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:17 am 

Doom:VS -> Remembrance - Fall, Obsidian Night
Comatose Vigil -> Red Moon Architect - kuura
Mourning Beloveth -> Crypt Of Silence - Awareness Ephemera

Hope you'll be satisfied with these. ;)

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:55 pm 

What are the best beginning albums for Pentagram, Trouble, and Saint Vitus?

recyclage wrote:

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:31 pm 

What are the best beginning albums for Pentagram, Trouble, and Saint Vitus?

Pentagram - Relentless
Trouble - Psalm 9
Saint Vitus - Saint Vitus (1984 album...... they reused the name for their 2019 album) or Born Too Late

AuthorOfWoh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:44 pm 

TheUnhinged wrote:
AuthorOfWoh wrote:

The 11th Hour should be exactly what you're looking for.

Arcane Sun (also from Ireland) played doom/death with a mix of grunts and really powerful, melodic epic cleans.

Hamferð are a bit on the more melodic side, but overall play a mix of doom/death with passionate, beautiful clean singing and gnarly grunts.

In_Zane wrote:

Remembrance are where its at. They're pretty much as close as you can get to Shape of Despair without actually being SoD.

Consummatum Est are a good fit musically, though they're a lot more lo-fi than SoD and don't have the same lush, ethereal sounding production.

Colosseum released three really solid atmo/funeral doom albums in the vein of SoD.

Thanks. Pretty cool bands there. The 11th Hour is pretty cool.

Of_This_Night36
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:38 pm 

Bands that sound like "Chipmunks on 16 Speed"? Some lunatic took Chipmunks cover songs and slowed them down and it sounds AMAZING. I need more of this mood / atmosphere (/ guitar tone!) in my life
Annihilated Pentagram Productions - Kvlt unblack for dark hearts and the left-hand path, not the saved (Luke 5:32). Several releases are free download.
Christ is Lord, there is no other. 2 Peter 3:9, John 14:1-3, Revelation 20:10, Revelation 22:20

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133  Next