Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:34 pm 

Very cool death doom here, gritty, grim and mostly very slow.
it's free!
https://transylvaniantapes.bandcamp.com ... ay?from=hp

Of_This_Night36
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:13 pm 

Morphine1873 wrote:
Very cool death doom here, gritty, grim and mostly very slow.
it's free!
https://transylvaniantapes.bandcamp.com ... ay?from=hp

Ooooooh holy shit
I thought I would mind the growls (I love growls, but they aren't in the song I linked) but in reality, they make it even better!
Thank you so much for the recommendation!!
Annihilated Pentagram Productions - Kvlt unblack for dark hearts and the left-hand path, not the saved (Luke 5:32). Several releases are free download.
Christ is Lord, there is no other. 2 Peter 3:9, John 14:1-3, Revelation 20:10, Revelation 22:20

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:42 am 

Of_This_Night36 wrote:
(I love growls, but they aren't in the song I linked) but in reality, they make it even better!
Thank you so much for the recommendation!!

That wasn't a response to your request, mind you. Just a spontaneous rec.! :D

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:57 pm 

spiritus mortis just dropped another behemoth:

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:56 am 

Good song indeed. Who's that singer? He brings a lot more of expression that Sami. His voice is more common tough.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 12:33 pm 

Morphine1873 wrote:
Good song indeed. Who's that singer? He brings a lot more of expression that Sami. His voice is more common tough.

https://www.metal-archives.com/artists/ ... %A4ki/2510 previously and currently in several finnish bands. he also made the SM video above...

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 12:14 pm 

Anyone know any bands that sound like early Church of Misery?

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 9:25 pm 

The Disease Concept - Pain Clinic has a similar feel to Church of Misery.

Paka01
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 9:20 am 

In your opinion, what are essential stoner rock albums?

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 12:38 pm 

Paka01 wrote:

far ahead, and I think everyone will agree:

Kyuss/ Blues for the Red Sun

and behind:

Acid King/ Busse Woods (fat one this one, stepping on doom) edit: if too heavy I'd switch it for Colour Haze/ Tempel
Monster Magnet/ Dope to Infinity
Truckfighters/ Gravity X
Dozer/ Through the Eyes of Heathens

That's the ones I really like. I guess Fu Manchu and Orange Goblin are deemed essential.. and others; but to each his own.

Last edited by Morphine1873 on Thu May 05, 2022 5:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 3:58 pm 

Morphine1873 wrote:
Paka01 wrote:

That's the ones I really like. I guess Fu Manchu and Orange Goblin are deemed essential.. and others; but to each his own.

I used to like Fu Manchu in high school and my partner really enjoys Orange Goblin. I would personally rate them higher than Monster Magnet but I've not listened to any of these bands in a while. Still, your taste is always excellent.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 3:56 am 

Morphine1873 wrote:
Paka01 wrote:

far ahead, and I think everyone will agree:

Kyuss/ Blues for the Red Sun

Ehhhhhhh, I thought the general consensus, that I would agree with, is that Welcome to Sky Valley (aka s/t) is the quintessential Kyuss album.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 4:54 am 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:

Ehhhhhhh, I thought the general consensus, that I would agree with, is that Welcome to Sky Valley (aka s/t) is the quintessential Kyuss album.

I'd say this album and the reactions to it coined the term 'Stoner'. But I agree about the S/T being as important to the scene and Rock in general. However as far as I am concerned, BFTRS is an album that impressed me more, emotionally, I discovered it first when I was 20, when it came out.
So, yes, everyone will probably not agree, I'm pushing it, but to me it was an epiphany! I have more connections to it.

Point remains that KYUSS is the ever best Stoner Rock band in the universe. On that we can agree?

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 5:17 am 

Morphine1873 wrote:

I'd say this album and the reactions to it coined the term 'Stoner'. But I agree about the S/T being as important to the scene and Rock in general. However as far as I am concerned, BFTRS is an album that impressed me more, emotionally, I discovered it first when I was 20, when it came out.
So, yes, everyone will probably not agree, I'm pushing it, but to me it was an epiphany! I have more connections to it.

Point remains that KYUSS is the ever best Stoner Rock band in the universe. On that we can agree?

I actually have little to no experience with stoner rock that isn't stoner METAL. I do like Kyuss, I did not care for Nebula when I bought one of their albums..... I may have heard a song or two here and there by Fu Manchu or Masters of Reality and if I did, I wasn't impressed.... I've tried at least three Monster Magnet albums and didn't care for any of them..... so yeah I'd probably agree Kyuss is the best stoner rock band, but I haven't explored the genre much either.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 5:36 am 

What kind of bands would you tag "stoner metal"?.. I don't know that style.

You mean something like..... Black Sabbath? :D

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 5:46 am 

Morphine1873 wrote:

Orange Goblin (maybe not Frequencies From Planet Ten, but generally), Sheavy, and of course stoner/doom hybrids like Church of Misery and Sleep.... a lot of the female fronted "occult doom/rock" bands are very stonerish to me.... 90s Trouble, mid-period Cathedral.... stuff like that.

As far as Black Sabbath go, Master of Reality I think may be the genesis of stoner/doom metal..... But I think not much of their other stuff qualifies as stoner.

a_s315
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 8:30 am 

Morphine1873 wrote:

You dont understand, stoner metal is mostly sabbath sounding scams, bunch of robert plants. doom metal is where you need to go (Witchfinder General, Candlemass). Budgie is the founder.

a_s315
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 8:33 am 

important: DO NOT GET MIXED UP WITH STONER AND DOOM.

why? because 9/10 bands are just sabbath sounding scams, bunch of woodstocks with the brand Robert Plant on their forehead, Doom is where you need to go, budgie founded the brand and sabbath named it(hand of doom).

a_s315
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 8:35 am 

thetrueevil wrote:
Warning From United Kingdom

i absolutely love that song from sabbath, long live the blues!

a_s315
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 10:56 pm 

I like black metal and blues put together, Black'n'Blue.

a_s315
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:30 pm 

a_s315 wrote:
I like black metal and blues put together, Black'n'Blue.

'Although Black Sabbath were one of the first bands to popularize this type of music, they were not the first to produce it, nor can they be accurately described as a stoner band.'

https://web.archive.org/web/20090225050 ... toner_rock

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:28 am 

Gave it a try on the band ID thread but the thread seems to be rather dead, so I'm throwing it out here too in case anyone can be of help.

Here's a request for the most hardened of veterans; one so difficult that, even knowing the name, I can't find the band:

It was called . (with a clarifying (dot) besides it, IIRC)
The genre was drone/funeral doom metal
Likely from Russia, though it might have been another Slavic country
Around the myspace and lastfm era
99% sure it was a solo project
No, it's not the Japanese sludge band listed here on the archives.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:41 am 

coupdebleus wrote:
Gave it a try on the band ID thread but the thread seems to be rather dead, so I'm throwing it out here too in case anyone can be of help.

Here's a request for the most hardened of veterans; one so difficult that, even knowing the name, I can't find the band:

Is it either of these?

(Cyber].ocalypse) .. . .. (a.k.a. (-].o), [Cyberocalypse], (Cyber].ocalypse), Cyberocalypse) Doom metal/Rock from Russia.

(((...))) (a.k.a. Three Black Dots in the Brackets, ...) Drone/Doom metal/Noise from Indonesia

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:20 am 

Nope, but thanks for trying. I tried all the “.” related bands on the archives, it doesn't seem to be listed here. While it fiddled a bit with drone and ambient, the main genre was decidedly funeral doom.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:16 pm 

coupdebleus wrote:

you searched on discogs? If it exists (I have doubts to be honest), you will likely find it there, since they hhave pretty much everything on sale, even the most obscure stuff.

there's that Finnish Funeral doom band that released an album called Dissonance of Thought (DOT).. :D

edit: found this bandcamp page of "." pronounced "Zero". It's ambient though, maybe there're traces of drone too. The oldest track dates back to 2012.

https://zeroinfo.bandcamp.com/album/--3

This as well; it's tagged 'drone', but I cant' find any kind of samples...

https://www.discogs.com/artist/1320290-_____

this one, a French composer:

https://www.discogs.com/artist/450273-

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:07 pm 

Should have mentioned, I already looked on discogs too, sorry for wasting your time on that. The thing is, I don't know if the guy ever put out any physical album(s), which is probably why it isn't properly archived on any of the usual sites. He might have released something digitally, but at the time M-A excluded non-physical releases from the archive.
IIRC, all his tracks were on myspace or one of the equivalent sites at the time.

That it existed, and it was called that way, I'm 100% sure because I recall agreeing with the friend that introduced me to the band that it was a pretty idiotic name, as it made it difficult to search. The songs did have normal titles, though I can't recall any in particular.

To clarify, the style was based on guitar riffs (and keys, and programmed drums, like most funeral doom I guess), the ambient/drone part was more of an added color.
I remember having liked it enough that I downloaded and backed it up… in CDs that I lost like over a decade ago.

Other stuff I've already tried:
Looking in myspace. No dice. Perhaps it's not where it was hosted, perhaps it got lost in the shutdown from way back. There's also like a hundred other dumbasses that had the same clever idea for a band name, apparently.
Asking my friend. He's not answering the ouija board.
Lastfm “.” returns unknown artist. “Dot” directs to a more proficient electronic artist.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:56 am 

coupdebleus wrote:
Should have mentioned, I already looked on discogs too, sorry for wasting your time on that. The thing is, I don't know if the guy ever put out any physical album(s), which is probably why it isn't properly archived on any of the usual sites. He might have released something digitally, but at the time M-A excluded non-physical releases from the archive.
IIRC, all his tracks were on myspace or one of the equivalent sites at the time.

That it existed, and it was called that way, I'm 100% sure because I recall agreeing with the friend that introduced me to the band that it was a pretty idiotic name, as it made it difficult to search. The songs did have normal titles, though I can't recall any in particular.

To clarify, the style was based on guitar riffs (and keys, and programmed drums, like most funeral doom I guess), the ambient/drone part was more of an added color.
I remember having liked it enough that I downloaded and backed it up… in CDs that I lost like over a decade ago.

Looking in myspace. No dice. Perhaps it's not where it was hosted, perhaps it got lost in the shutdown from way back. There's also like a hundred other dumbasses that had the same clever idea for a band name, apparently.
Lastfm “.” returns unknown artist. “Dot” directs to a more proficient electronic artist.

Have you tried looking on Amazon Music or Apple Music/iTunes? Those I think were the most popular avenues to purchase digital-only music during the myspace era. Although both those sites' search algorithms aren't particularly great....

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:27 pm 

As a general recommendation, I have been really enjoying Omegashift's CD titled Doctrine Of Dust. These Norwegians play melodic and somewhat experimental female-fronted doom.

https://omegashift.bandcamp.com/album/doctrine-of-dust

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:39 pm 

Kerrick wrote:
As a general recommendation, I have been really enjoying Omegashift's CD titled Doctrine Of Dust. These Norwegians play melodic and somewhat experimental female-fronted doom.

That is really good, cheers!

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:55 am 

Right on; enjoy!

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:56 pm 

Kerrick wrote:

Yeah, this is good. Nice chilly melodic doom, makes me think of the early doom works of Madder Mortem and The 3rd and the Mortal.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:48 pm 

Kerrick wrote:
These Norwegians play melodic and somewhat experimental female-fronted doom.

How do you play female-fronted doom? Do you just put any female in front of you? I'd like to try it some day.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:28 am 

TheUnhinged wrote:
makes me think of the early doom works of Madder Mortem and The 3rd and the Mortal.

Spot on. TTATM, only on In this Room then, which is their masterpiece album on top of it. But the voice and music is more akin to Madder Mortem debut, on the whole, It's a band that's so little talked about, it's a shame.

The band Sidhe came to my mind as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xR3fHwvsyI

ok, the video is lame, but the music is good!

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:29 pm 

TheUnhinged wrote:
Kerrick wrote:

Yeah, this is good. Nice chilly melodic doom, makes me think of the early doom works of Madder Mortem and The 3rd and the Mortal.

Fully agreed! You might dig another Norwegian hidden gem called Leonov if you're not already familiar. They're not doom metal though still quite "doomy" - maybe more akin to Painting on glass era The 3rd And The Mortal mixed with some post-metal. Regardless of genre, their two albums are really excellent IMO.

Opus wrote:
How do you play female-fronted doom? Do you just put any female in front of you? I'd like to try it some day.

Dad-joke level 6000.

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:24 pm 

coupdebleus wrote:

Have you tried looking on Amazon Music or Apple Music/iTunes? Those I think were the most popular avenues to purchase digital-only music during the myspace era. Although both those sites' search algorithms aren't particularly great....

Excuse the late reply. Those I didn't consider because I never used their services. Fortunately, one guy on the Band ID thread actually found it! Now I'm gonna try to contact the artist to get a hold of the music and come with news once I do.
Thanks for your help and patience!

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:39 am 

coupdebleus wrote:
Excuse the late reply. Those I didn't consider because I never used their services. Fortunately, one guy on the Band ID thread actually found it! Now I'm gonna try to contact the artist to get a hold of the music and come with news once I do.
Thanks for your help and patience!

I completely forgot about this project, and anyways, I was unaware of his previous moniker. I used to listen to sabazius' productions though...

Dronehouse opened a dedicated thread on the doom-metal board in 2007. Maybe you'll catch there some extra bits of info.
http://www.doom-metal.com/phpbb2/viewto ... dronehouse

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:53 am 

Thanks! Dunno why of all his projects I had to recall the most obscure one, the search would have been much easier otherwise :p

Anyway, the man behind the bands was Maciej Koper, and the different projects’ names were:
. (later became dronehouse)
Life Curse
Black Hive
Inanition
V12140

Most of it, contrary to my memory, is rooted more in ambient and drone than actual doom, though Inanition edges more towards Funeral Doom. I’ve been finding some tracks and albums here and there, but very few. I’ll gather as much as I can and then upload everything (he was very firm about releasing everything for free, so no issues there).

Crazy how as soon as I heard the first second of a track I could recall the entire album. Hope I can find all of his stuff. Haven’t been lucky about finding the artist himself.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:10 am 

Hey, I do have a tape by INANITION, it's called Eternal Beauty of the End. Wow, it's ages that I have bought it, and I don't remember at all what it sounds like. it was out on Bubonic prods which was a Portuguese label if I am not mistaken, very into extreme doom, raw black etc...

I'd like to share it with you, but I can't see how. I'mnot equipped with the right gears...

edit:
Terrific FD. But why on earth only one side recorded? A tape has two sides damnit! It wouldn't cost a peanut to duplicate the recording on both sides...!

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:14 am 

Yup, that’s why I’m trying to recover his stuff. I recall it was pretty simple stuff, mostly power chords+melody, all coated with bad early 00s digital distortion and synths, and which he insisted on uploading at 128kbps… yet he made it all work into really cool music, good enough that over a decade later I remember it.

I’ve created a Gdrive folder which I’ll update as I find stuff. When I feel I’ve gathered as much as it’s possible, I’ll host it on other sites/streaming services.
LINK will be shared on a latter post after getting approval from the site admins.

Last edited by coupdebleus on Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:50 am 

I see a video that explains how easy it is to plug a tape player to your computer and convert the music into mp3 with a basic software. I'll try this asap.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133  Next