Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:16 am 

BleedingMoon wrote:
Can anyone recommend something in the vein of OM? More meditative, introspective and quieter stoner type atmospheric stuff?

ZAUM first two albums. They've been reproached to reproduce the sound of OM without any original view. I read a few comments in that sense, but I disagree strongly.
The third abum is a let-down though.

https://zaum.bandcamp.com/album/oracles

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:13 pm 

in those hard times of endless struggle, one's faith is tested, and a prophet will soon come forth to give warning... Phil Swanson has a new album out tomorrow: https://thecultofvestalclaret.bandcamp. ... tal-claret

edit: technically, only 2-3 tracks would qualify as "doom", but thats still Phil Swanson doing an album... :)

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:26 am 

Excellent one-man death doom band here, a newcomer that's only released two pay-what-you-want eps and is already making a big impression:

https://triglathena.bandcamp.com/album/the-vile-silence

Oheao
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:19 pm 

I love Acid Bath's two albums, Down's NOLA, Crowbar's self-titled and Odd Fellows Rest and Eyehategod's Take As Needed For Pain. Acid Bath in particular being my favourites. However, other than those major bands I haven't delved much, so I'd like some recommendations!

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:23 am 

Oheao wrote:
I love Acid Bath's two albums, Down's NOLA, Crowbar's self-titled and Odd Fellows Rest and Eyehategod's Take As Needed For Pain. Acid Bath in particular being my favourites. However, other than those major bands I haven't delved much, so I'd like some recommendations!

Check out Grief/ Come to Grief, the doomiest of the early Sludge bands. Mandatory imo.

More recent are both Starkweather/ Croatoan and Fange/ Pourissoir, this latter being very punk-ish, similar to EHG.

pronouncedshawn
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:03 am 

Oheao wrote:

I definitely second Grief. I'd also recommend Dystopia for equally miserable sludge.
If you haven't listened to 'em yet, check Melvins and Iron Monkey for more sludge/grunge/noise rock akin to Acid Bath (just with a bit more humor). Harvey Milk and Indian are also essential listening if you need that heavy-heavy shit (I'm talking borderline drone in there).

pbarb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:25 am 

Can anyone recommend me more atmospheric funeral doom similar to shapes of despair? Preferably with growls and clean vocals. Anything that mixes heavy dismal doom with majestic beauty

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:01 am 

pbarb wrote:
Can anyone recommend me more atmospheric funeral doom similar to shapes of despair? Preferably with growls and clean vocals. Anything that mixes heavy dismal doom with majestic beauty

Try Colosseum, Remembrance, Lethian Dreams, Aeonian Sorrow.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:42 pm 

I would add Hallatar and Ahab. Also Ataraxie and Evoken, though they don't have cleans. And depending on how strict you are about the "funeral" speeds, and how close it needs to be to Shape of Despair, there's also stuff that you may or may not already know like Virgin Black, Draconian, Daylight Dies, Swallow The Sun, Doom: VS, Raving Season, Hamferd, Evadne, Mourning Beloveth, Helevorn, When Nothing Remains, Nox Aurea, and Triptykon, who occasionally have pretty slow songs, and generally have that mixture of harshness and prettiness.

pbarb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:37 pm 

Thanks folks. Ahab, evoken and swallow the suns slower stuff is definitely what I’m after. Can’t wait to check out the other recs

Azrael44
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:13 pm 

Im looking for Gothic stuff can be Death metal/Deathdoom/ heavy metal/doom metal but two conidtions:
1. only releases Before 1994, but dont go obvious like MDB, Paradise Lost, Katatonia, Anathema,Tiamat - they are popular, im looking for RARE albums/demos,
2. must have at least 1 gothic element present in their style, like certain guitar melodies or usage of piano/keyboards (or other typical instruments), vocals can be growled or clean (for example Saviour Machine) or mix, whatever.
Thanks to anyone who will provide me something

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:31 am 

Azrael44 wrote:
Im looking for Gothic stuff
... releases Before 1994,
... must have at least 1 gothic element present in their style,

I first see
Thorns of the Carrion - genius band: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEWWwwjRJyg
Then:
Left Hand Solution : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8cJQOx_678
Cemetery of Scream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRTHtWREEpM

Some have put out albums just after the time limit you indicates, with demos before though. Among them, Monumentum's 1995 In Absentia Christi is mandatory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-kPtyJSRDc

Azrael44
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:07 pm 

Thanks @Morphine1873 for a reply, I actually know all of those bands :-D but I havent looked into Left Hand Solution that much, neither Cemetary Of Scream so thats gonna be a nice refresher
Monumentum though is from 1995, I aimed for little bit earlier stuff just to track Gothic sound more to its core, mostly some overlooked records that didnt contibute as much then (but now I could put them next to foundaments of genre) as for Thorns Of The Carrion - that is an excellent album, got me hyped for like 2 months straight but their 1994 release was kinda weird because they did muffled keyboards. Well, I cant be too needy, we all know that early 90's quality wasn't usually the best, but that is ok for me. Good call overall, I hope we can dig more.

On the side note, I was lately really surprised about Tiamat 1991 release, they presented there some Gothic elements, its a huge deal I would say just to look it was 1991 when the Paradise Lost released their groundbreaking album and now we can point out that Tiamat was there at this very time. So many people mention Tiamat only for "Clouds' and 'Wildhoney', of course for a good reason but we need to look at the full picture if we are going to talk about Gothic EARLY development. I just felt like sharing that, I am the one that overlooked this stuff for years.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:45 pm 

Azrael44 wrote:
Im looking for Gothic stuff can be Death metal/Deathdoom/ heavy metal/doom metal

Listen to Stillborn's Necrospirituals.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:48 am 

Azrael44 wrote:
I aimed for little bit earlier stuff just to track Gothic sound more to its core,

I have to point tou to As Divine Grace/ Morpheus; they put out two demos in 91 and 92 and their proper album only came a few years after, under the name As Divine Grace - their Gothic features really emerge around the time they changed moniker:
Morpheus - 1992: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pen5UJf6VJg
As Divine Grace - 1995 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsXq6QaEdks (nice vintage and rough gothic vibe)

And if you're curious about
Quote:
mostly some overlooked records that didnt contibute as much then
, then, I'll bend for a second time your specifications and recommend this, from 1995:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JcCT1l-Tug

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:03 pm 

Azrael44 wrote:
Im looking for Gothic stuff can be Death metal/Deathdoom/ heavy metal/doom metal but two conidtions:
1. only releases Before 1994, but dont go obvious like MDB, Paradise Lost, Katatonia, Anathema,Tiamat - they are popular, im looking for RARE albums/demos,
2. must have at least 1 gothic element present in their style, like certain guitar melodies or usage of piano/keyboards (or other typical instruments), vocals can be growled or clean (for example Saviour Machine) or mix, whatever.
Thanks to anyone who will provide me something

I always liked Celestial Season's 1993 debut, Forever Scarlet Passion. Gothic doom death similar to MDB complete with violin.

Their next album seems to be their most popular, but I've never been much a fan of it. They mixed in some stoner influences and after that album they went full on stoner.

Azrael44
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:49 pm 

Morphine1873 wrote:
Azrael44 wrote:
I aimed for little bit earlier stuff just to track Gothic sound more to its core,

As Divine Grace/ Morpheus;two demos in 91 and 92 and their proper album only came a few years after, under the name As Divine Grace - their Gothic features really emerge around the time they changed moniker:
Morpheus - 1992: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pen5UJf6VJg
As Divine Grace - 1995 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsXq6QaEdks (nice vintage and rough gothic vibe)

from 1995: Eterne - Still Dreaming

@Morphine1873, Man thanks again for reply but you missed a point. I look specificily into early 90's because 1995 was the year when *Old Gothic* was already established and Mid-wave gothic Death Doom was starting to get popularity with bands as Katatonia and October Tide. So 1995 was a great year but I don't care about demos because there are like hundreds of them. It was the year which changed it all but towards that some other milestone records guide. Generally up to this point it was consider that Paradise Lost spawned the gothic in metal first. I can aven make video talking about the timeline and how each year from 90 to 94 contibuted greatly in arly development in gothic. And Btw. I saw some comment on Last.Fm where some user said "Gothic metal is like Tristania and Theatre Of Tragedy, before that it was Melodic Death/Doom" that indicated that 1995 is a breakthrough year for gothic widely considered. But that last.fm claim was not true, Paradise Lost dictated the *Old Gothic* Themes, their early contibution in 1990 and 1991 became widely known, as for less known releases in was a good timing, many bands were intoduced to demo taping and up the 90's point many metal bands started to gain different influnces, jsut not to be straight forwad for example: Melodic Death metal, born in 90's, 2nd wave Black Metal: started in early 90's, Atmospheric/ Symphonic Black metal, or metal over all only began after 1990, dungeon synth was born in 1994. Progressive Death metal was also born in the 90's because of Cynic - Focus from 1993 and Death records. So if we would like to progress in 90's then for period from 1994-1997 would be very generous in genres variety. With that knowledge we can guess that in 80's the genre-mixing and adding non metal elements was not often-seen, 80's mainly developped NWBOHM and Thrash Metal, 80's spawned Death metal, established Doom Metal (with early Pagan/Epic Influences which is a good foreground for later gothic development) also 80's were rich on Power metal records, to simply put Gothic element could be only find in some doom metal records,I mean If we would like to find anything, ANYTHING. every record that has a track of those elements is rare. Gothic rock to be honest didnt influence antyhing in Gothic Metal, Gothic Rock only influenced Metallica black album and Post-Punk, There are some tracks that tries to mix some metal sound with gothic rock dating to 1985 with Sisters Of Mercy, and then again = it is more post-punk, Fields Of Nephilim another gothic rock band would be known in 1990 release, again proving that gothic rock didnt pair with gothic metal, it is NOW KNOWN that they didnt influence each other the most. Gothic metal was born after Development of Death Metal, It was a simultaneus act with Doom and Death metal mix, therefore it started as a whole new wave along with typical Cover arts. Metal then became something really different with a huge meaning, Melodic Death metal also influenced Gothic develompent, and I could prove it on timeline, thats why it is so important for me to fing something from 1991-1993 because it is a huge add to this whole stack you know.

I listened to Eterne - Still Dreaming and it was quite good but obviously from 1995 so that doesnt add anything (demo) and it was more of doom metal, I could shout Scald for example, many similar acts already were introduced to genre, but nice remendation overall.
about As Divine grace, again - album is good but its from 1995, I already know both Eterne and As Divine Grace, I didnt know about the Morpheus Demo, It was the most valuable but It Didnt brought enough of the mentioned INFLUENCE, nonetheless its a rare demo.
I was kinda disappointed, most of it was 1995 and I specificely said about 1990-1994 era. Now you know why it is so important for me, In this disappointment I went on an online crusade searching for gold stuff and I can share with you my 7 finds that actually suits my conditions + released in good time era. Check it out.
1992 Nightfall - Parade Into Centuries
1993 Cemetary - Godless Beauty - Gothic Death metal
1993 Horrified - In The Garden of Unearthly Delights (Progressive Melodic Death metal)
1993 Parade Of Souls - Empyreum EP (Keyboard Gothic Death metal)
1993 Sad Whisperings - Sensitive To Autumn (Atmospheric Death Metal)

1993 Anthropomancy - Demo 1993 (very good gothic Death Doom)

1994 Absurd Existence - Angelwinds (melodic death doom metal)

thats 7 records, I need similar stuff thanks. I will find them all aeventually but I would be thankful if you guys would save me some time and share names with me so I can find it earlier :evil:

Doomsday wrote:
Azrael44 wrote:
Im looking for Gothic stuff can be Death metal/Deathdoom/ heavy metal/doom metal

Listen to Stillborn's Necrospirituals.

I did, nice pick - 1989 but tbh it was more of gothic rock influences but 0 Death metal or Death doom, btw some themes were visible yet no so much.
I found different demo from that year

TYRAN - Demo 89's Experimental Heavy metal with melodic elements.

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
I always liked Celestial Season's 1993 debut, Forever Scarlet Passion. Gothic doom death similar to MDB complete with violin.
Their next album seems to be their most popular, but I've never been much a fan of it. They mixed in some stoner influences and after that album they went full on stoner.

1993 Celestial Season - Forerver Scarless Passion
Thanks for reply! I agree with what you said, but i wouldnt compare it with MDB, I think it was Obvious that Turn Loose The Swans was just better xD, but this one, FSP by celestial Seaon - it was a good debut but little bit murdered on production side + instruments inducing gothic elements are bit repetitive it is very raw to mix death metal like that. The Ideas tho are excellent, very much in fornt of that time, solidyfing Death Doom record, doing it more consisent than Katatonia on their 1993 record. Less agressive than Disembowelment and also 1 year before Septic Flesh. Overall it is a nice recommendation but 2nd tier, it would be groundbreaking when released 1 year earlier in 1992 when Amorphis had their Debut with 'Karelian Isthmus" from 1992. With comparison from MDB 1993 release being 1st tier. Celestial Seaon 2 years later woud prove they quit gothic to chase stoner doom metal, but yet they left a solid footprint on Gothic scene.

Last edited by Azrael44 on Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:17 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:26 am 

@Azrael44:
your point and long demonstration about 1995 as turning point is interesting, I never thought of that.

I won't tread the fragile path that separate gothic rock and gothic-tinged metal as I feel the relation between both scenes is more complex than what you implie, but rather inextricable too. But anyway, to come up with a more accurate reference, I'd suggest Sadness/ Ames de Marbre. It's a perfect example of early ninties Gothic doomy metal album - but I suppose you know them already!

Azrael44
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:39 pm 

Morphine1873 wrote:
@Azrael44:
your point and long demonstration about 1995 as turning point is interesting, I never thought of that.

I won't tread the fragile path that separate gothic rock and gothic-tinged metal as I feel the relation between both scenes is more complex than what you implie, but rather inextricable too. But anyway, to come up with a more accurate reference, I'd suggest Sadness/ Ames de Marbre. It's a perfect example of early ninties Gothic doomy metal album - but I suppose you know them already!

Yeah, I know the relations are mixed but I approve the statement about 1995 as a turning point for Gothic Death Doom, I can show you why. Simply we start from 1991 with Paradise Lost right?, then we take next year as for the albums that went along with Paradise Lost debut; then we expect 1992 to be important but its not the GOLDEN era yet, 1992 was a year when Gothic seedlings started to grow, knowing that we should expect another year to be the 'blooming year' and it was, 1993 was exactly the cummulative year for Gothic influenced records, so there we see the first big step - the children of Paradise lost growing up, from then it gets better like wine, year later (1994) we see the development and spread through the world and plenty of tries to mix it with different genres like black metal etc. So if 1994 was the time when things got mixed up a little bit we can see forward to 1995 when 'Children' of 1993 records started to come up, So it took 4 years from 1991 to see the 2 generations of gothic metal evolve - as I said 1993 and 1995-> 1995 being the most creative of them all obviously and bringing many new features to the genre hence in 1995-and-after Gothic metal became much more variable -> symphonic, industrial, female fronted - those styles were presented after 1995, before that it was mainly growled or B&B style as presented up to 1993. It all can be confusing but when we would look at every year from 1990 to 1996 it would make way more sense, its like witnessing a child's first steps.
Here - the video I mentioned, presenting what was spawned in 1992, gothic influenced death metal & Death doom moments, the children of Paradise lost debut.
16 records

~Guest 881392
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:24 am 

Just listening to Slow - V - Oceans for the first time.... how have I missed this band/release? Fantastic Belgian funeral doom. Highly recommended for fans of the genre. Thergothon with the morning coffee and reading felt quite right today as well.

pbarb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:52 pm 

naudr wrote:
Just listening to Slow - V - Oceans for the first time.... how have I missed this band/release? Fantastic Belgian funeral doom. Highly recommended for fans of the genre. Thergothon with the morning coffee and reading felt quite right today as well.

I just recently discovered this fantastic band myself. Been on a real atmospheric funeral doom kick lately, it just feels like the natural soundtrack for these shit times. Clouds and Shape of Despair have also been standouts that I’ve only recently heard for the first time.

Can anyone recommend some similar bands? I’m looking for melancholic funeral doom with harsh vocals mixed with clean singing/ethereal vocals and keyboards. I love heavy depressing/beautiful atmosphere.

Thanks

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:55 pm 

pbarb wrote:
naudr wrote:

I just recently discovered this fantastic band myself. Been on a real atmospheric funeral doom kick lately, it just feels like the natural soundtrack for these shit times. Clouds and Shape of Despair have also been standouts that I’ve only recently heard for the first time.

Can anyone recommend some similar bands? I’m looking for melancholic funeral doom with harsh vocals mixed with clean singing/ethereal vocals and keyboards. I love heavy depressing/beautiful atmosphere.

Thanks

You're pretty much summing up The Slow Death from Australia.

Spoiler: show

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:54 am 

I come with a request for the specialists in obscure bands.
There was this Russian (at least I think so) one-man funeral doom/drone project from the myspace/lastfm era (not sure if actually hosted on ms but from those years) with some superb tracks that went under the incredibly stupid name of . (dot). You'll understand why I'm having such a hard time finding anything on the net. If anyone's got some info on it it'd be much appreciated.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:33 am 

coupdebleus wrote:
I come with a request for the specialists in obscure bands.
There was this Russian (at least I think so) one-man funeral doom/drone project from the myspace/lastfm era (not sure if actually hosted on ms but from those years) with some superb tracks that went under the incredibly stupid name of . (dot). You'll understand why I'm having such a hard time finding anything on the net. If anyone's got some info on it it'd be much appreciated.

This is a start - unless there was another band named (.), it seems it was from Japan, and it would be more af a Sludge Doom project too:

http://www.doom-metal.com/bands.php?band=76

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2JQxL4uDFU

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:22 am 

Nope, though I appreciate the effort. That's another issue, there's this Japanese project of the same name, dammit :-(

kaku3
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:05 pm 

REQUEST: Looking for funeral doom viking bands (say OAK + Amon Amarth + Ahab + Summoning)

I can very well just settle for Ahab but was wondering if there are any more music down this rabbit hole I wish to go.

Thanks in advance!

kaku3
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:28 pm 

What would you recommend?

Thanks! \m/

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:27 pm 

Vinking Funeral? Can't be. Total oxymore! Although I see what you mean...
true that Ahab can be described as epic, at least on the first album. But they're more death doom to me...

I don't know anything similar. :O

Not similar, but epic in mood and introspective as FD must be, I see this:
https://eirdhmusic.bandcamp.com/album/rituals-2018

maybe Abyssic too, in a more uplifting, proggy way:
https://youtu.be/Cl4w9i4rgWg

kaku3
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:31 pm 

Yeah throw in some Summoning in there too...

I'm checking Eirð out now... seems promising :)

kaku3
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:38 pm 

ok sounds good... now can we throw some death into the Eirð mix?

pbarb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:21 pm 

kaku3 wrote:
REQUEST: Looking for funeral doom viking bands (say OAK + Amon Amarth + Ahab + Summoning)

I can very well just settle for Ahab but was wondering if there are any more music down this rabbit hole I wish to go.

Thanks in advance!

Ereb altor comes to mind

kaku3
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:42 pm 

Ah yeah! That's a good one. Any others?

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:10 pm 

It's something so oddly specific that you might as well jump in and be the first to do it. These miss the mark in some aspects but might work for ya nonetheless:

Arcana Coelestia (Almost as keyboard heavy as Summoning and epic, though approaching it from a different angle, something more ethereal)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4gbo_xrgNI

Morkheim (funeral + viking themes. Sound's closer to Nortt tho)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN57AhxaCLg

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:32 am 

kaku3 wrote:
ok sounds good... now can we throw some death into the Eirð mix?

Incidentally, The guy behind Eirð has an epic - at times "death-ish" - doom project too, at least in the beginning: Spirit Descent:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mLN5kxp2Cw

edit: come to think of it, already before Spirit Descent, there was Cold Embrace, it's a tad rougher, and the wailing voice reminds of Ahab's.. It was a good project - and it's all about Odin in there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNKVkepeNtk

The sole Viking-like Death Doom I can think of is more Conan-inspired. it's Keen of the Crow - nothing like Ahab though and not a trace of Funeral doom in it; but still, it's slow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1sA2SZlVZs

ps: Ereb Altor have turned melo Black after their sophomore I think. It's still some good mournful epic doom on By Honour. That's the one I recommend.

Another track for you, totally like late Ahab in spirit. It's their singer that's invited by the band (Echo):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw6hadcq4gM

NbleSavage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:40 pm 

New 'Graves at Sea' track.

Heavy shite.

funeralravens
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:22 pm 

Have requests for two kinds of doom metal:
1. Doom metal with a calm, funereal feel, spoken vocals and gothic ambience. Best example is Evoken — Descent Into Chaotic Dream. It's quite similar to the first three songs on the album The Burning Halo by Draconian. Don't really know any other examples of this style.
2. Looking for blackened funeral doom metal or at least funeral doom metal with blackened vocals. The music could be either funereal/mournful, sort of similar to the first request (think Hedengangen by Nortt), or more evil/satanic/occult (Glemt by Nortt or Tragedy Eternal by Evoken) or a mixture of the two (Ligprædike by Nortt). I prefer the music to be blackened or at least to have blackened vocals (for example Evoken is not black metal, but the vocals on Tragedy Eternal sound blackened compared to the deep growls they generally use). The best example of what I want is the album Gudsforladt by Nortt, the music after that is also good, but it became less riffy and a little bit boring. I also like Elysian Blaze, even though his music is more on the black metal side rather than doom. Already know about Funeral Mourning (sounds fine, need to listen more) and Abyssmal Sorrow (a little bit boring honestly, lacks the funereal/evil punch of the bands I mentioned).

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:34 pm 

to your request number one, there's one rec I see: Mournful Congregation, their vocals are half way between spoken words and grunts. It's very singular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PM36fPavP4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXFfAPAjI08

in_the_sign_of_metal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:05 pm 

I don't normally go out of my way to listen to doom metal (one of the last subgenres I have to crack, so to speak), but I stumbled upon this band and was blown away. Not blackened or overly aggressive; rather it's dismal, introspective and super heavy. The samples from Bukowski are no small help there. If there are any other doom metal bands with such a bittersweet sound, I'd like to hear them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWfEsv0ukGA

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:53 am 

Opium Doom Cult bring to mind a combination between Mournful Congregation and Skepticism.
Check out also pthe band Profetus' Coronation of the Black Sun.

Ckcb1
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:58 am 

Hey there,

First time on a metal message board. Looking for something sludgy, but with that fuzzy sounding guitar like electric wizard or uncle acid & the deadbeats. Not generally a fan of clean vocals, but the styles of both bands are an exception for me. Any help?
Thanks in advance \m/

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130 ... 133  Next