Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
natelien
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:10 am 

try Goatsnake. Or old school saint vitus which is way better

Stijn
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:03 am 

Maybe someone would also suggest a doom-metal band which is similar to Draconian? Please, do not name Doom:VS, it is already known.

I like the vocals of Draconian, both male and female, especially on Arcane Rain Fell and Where the lovers mourn albums.

Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:31 am 

Saturnus is a doom metal band with some gothic metal influences. They are quite similiar to Draconian. Then there's Tristania which is somewhat similiar, and they also use female vocals, but they're mostly gothic metal and not so much doom.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:08 pm 

Doom fans help yourself, listen to Pentagram's Be Forewarned album, one of the best doom albums ever. I'm going to re-review it soon.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:21 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Doom fans help yourself, listen to Pentagram's Be Forewarned album, one of the best doom albums ever. I'm going to re-review it soon.

Not much of a doom fan if you haven't heard it already! :P
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Weerwolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:16 pm 

Looking for slightly melodic, melancholic sludge doom, while still keeping all the heaviness intact. I like my sludge heavy, so keep that in mind when you rec. me something.

Thanks!

A good reference point would be for example RWAKE Voices of Omens, excellent stuff!

Last edited by Weerwolf on Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:02 pm 

Stijn wrote:
Maybe someone would also suggest a doom-metal band which is similar to Draconian? Please, do not name Doom:VS, it is already known.

I like the vocals of Draconian, both male and female, especially on Arcane Rain Fell and Where the lovers mourn albums.

Not entirely similar, but good nevertheless. I was wracking my brains trying to think of the name of this band to recommend you and finally, I remember it ... Lethian Dreams. French atmospheric doom with both male and female vocals, the latter being very good. Male vocalist growls, primarily, and the female vocalist uses clean vocals. Melodic, mid-paced and free flowing doom. :)

Unholy_Asar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:16 pm 

Can anyone reccomend some more obscure quality traditional doom? Basically, where should you turn to find the best and most memorable trad. doom that isn't widely known (or mentioned in Reverend Bizarre's "Goddes of Doom" :P)?

For soundwise preferance, my favourite trad (ish). doom bands would be Reverend Bizarre, Electric Wizard and Solitude Aeternus.

yogibear
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:41 pm 

checked out rockadrome?

http://www.rockadrome.com/superstore/in ... Path=24_31

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:36 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
Recommendation: Since I seem to have a proverbial love affair with Shape Of Despair's "Angels Of Distress", I was wondering if there were other funeral doom bands that incorporate this same style. What I'm basically after is:

-growled vocals (preferably no clean, but I can tolerate a small amount)
-sparse female vocal lines
-VIOLINS! A big plus if violins are used
-a sad and depressing atmosphere
-Decent-good production

Or basically, any "Angels Of Distress" clone bands. :P

I already have Comatose Vigil, Remembrance, Ahab, Doom:Vs, and Depressed Mode.

Thank you all in advance! :)

Bumping this. Just to clarify, I'm not really looking for gothic doom, despite wanting violins. So, just any depressing funeral doom with good production. Thanks. :)

And thanks to Unser for the recommendations.

Weerwolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:19 am 

Unholy_Asar wrote:
Can anyone reccomend some more obscure quality traditional doom? Basically, where should you turn to find the best and most memorable trad. doom that isn't widely known (or mentioned in Reverend Bizarre's "Goddes of Doom" :P)?

For soundwise preferance, my favourite trad (ish). doom bands would be Reverend Bizarre, Electric Wizard and Solitude Aeternus.

http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=90206

Weerwolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:28 am 

MikeyC wrote:
MikeyC wrote:
Recommendation: Since I seem to have a proverbial love affair with Shape Of Despair's "Angels Of Distress", I was wondering if there were other funeral doom bands that incorporate this same style. What I'm basically after is:

-Decent-good production

Bumping this. Just to clarify, I'm not really looking for gothic doom, despite wanting violins. So, just any depressing funeral doom with good production. Thanks. :)

Mistress of the Dead
http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=50195

Pantheist
http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=3698 (start with O Solitude)

Wraith of the Ropes (Ada)
http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=23756

Production may be an issue with MotD. I don't exactly remember, been too long since ive had a listen. WotR has a more horror approach.

I would also recommend this release:
http://www.metal-archives.com/release.php?id=1295

It's no funeral doom, but it sometimes borderlines on it and it portrays everything you'll want, I guess.

Weerwolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:32 am 

O Solitude is the best funeral doom you'll ever find, by the way. ;)

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:27 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

-Decent-good production

I can recommend you Lament Christ, especially for the "violins" + the "depressive" part, but the production isn't really good. The band is worth checking, so don't let the somewhat bad production ruin it for you.

Wijlen Wij, if you already like Pantheist and Stijn Van Cauter's works.

Reido or Intaglio, they might please you too. I can't remember how 'clean' the production is, but I remember it being good.

monochka
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:03 pm 

I'm not even sure if this applies here... but I LOVE the sound of Type O Negative's 'Red Water'

You know, really epic, doom-y, clean vocals- almost vampiric sounding. Any bands similar to that sound?

Thanks for the help.

avrlabel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:33 pm 

I need something like Nigro Mantia?Anyone have similiar bands?I need some more obscure ones.

Stijn
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:55 am 

Perplexed_Sjel wrote:
Not entirely similar, but good nevertheless. I was wracking my brains trying to think of the name of this band to recommend you and finally, I remember it ... Lethian Dreams. French atmospheric doom with both male and female vocals, the latter being very good. Male vocalist growls, primarily, and the female vocalist uses clean vocals. Melodic, mid-paced and free flowing doom. :)

Thanks I shall get it. I prefer growling to tha clean vocals, I found it more expressive.

Have recently got an album of The art of Dethronement (now; The dethroners) - Not as good without growling...

lastdodobird
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:04 am 

I just spent a lot of time listening to Esoteric's "The Maniacal Vale" and... OMG 100 minutes of funeral doom. O_o

Funeral doom isn't exactly my favorite subgenre of doom metal. It's one of the subgenres I hate actually. I'm more of a traditional doom person.

Listening to the first track of this record got my hopes up a tiny bit though. It gave me the sense that it wasn't all extended drones at snail-paced progressions. Too bad I was still disappointed eventually.

I guess for a 100-minute funeral-doom album, you're sure to get a healthy chunk of thick, boring, repetitively plodding noise...

I found the record interesting in parts and satisfyingly brutal, but that's just around 20% of its entirety I'd say.

I still definitely prefer traditional doom... and speakin of trad doom... and good releases this year? Is Sahg - II any good?

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:32 am 

Esoteric is hardly representative of what a typical funeral doom band sounds like.

Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:08 am 

I agree, Esoteric's music is pretty diverse.

Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:05 am 

lastdodobird wrote:
I still definitely prefer traditional doom... and speakin of trad doom... and good releases this year?

Try Revelation - "Release".

unclevladistav
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:40 pm 

Looking for some good funeral doom, I already own both releases by Catacombs, and 2 albums (including the newest one) by Esoteric.
I'm considering getting Ahab's "The Call of the Wretched Sea", how was that? Any others anyone can suggest?

MikeyC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:43 pm 

unclevladistav wrote:
Looking for some good funeral doom, I already own both releases by Catacombs, and 2 albums (including the newest one) by Esoteric.
I'm considering getting Ahab's "The Call of the Wretched Sea", how was that? Any others anyone can suggest?

Ahab is alright if you're into the Moby Dick themes and such. I recommend Shape Of Despair's "Angels Of Distress" for excellent funeral doom. My favourite doom album I've ever heard so far. Comatose Vigil's "Not A Gleam Of Hope" is a good choice, also. :)

unclevladistav
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:57 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
unclevladistav wrote:

Ahab is alright if you're into the Moby Dick themes and such. I recommend Shape Of Despair's "Angels Of Distress" for excellent funeral doom. My favourite doom album I've ever heard so far. Comatose Vigil's "Not A Gleam Of Hope" is a good choice, also. :)

Sounds good, I'll check em out. thanks.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:58 pm 

unclevladistav wrote:
MikeyC wrote:
unclevladistav wrote:

Sounds good, I'll check em out. thanks.

No problem. Let me know what you think. :)

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:00 am 

I need more epic trad doom like:

Candlemass
Doomsword
Grand Magus (don't wanna hear about how they're not doom anymore)
Solitude Aeturnus (even though I hate Rob Lowe)
Solstice
Isole
Witchfinder General (not that epic but meh)
Reverend Bizarre

any ideas? and does this count as listing? It seems to get my point across: big chunky riffs, has to have a good singer, mid to slow paced, epic lyrics and themes a plus.

How about that band Scald? I still haven't given them a listen, think I heard a sample and it seemed underdeveloped (the production rather than the music) and that turned me off. Should I reconsider?

ikuturiso
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:02 am 

Not exactly epic, but check out Warning (UK) if you haven't already; excellent vocalist and very emotional. I'd also recommend you to check out Minotauri. Scald I've never heard so can't comment on that. :)

caspian
Wanderer of the Wastes

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:05 am 

It's really starting to confuse me- whenever people ask for a funeral doom band basically no one recommends Thergothon. WHY??? They are easily the best funeral doom band out there. None of that female vocals/violins crap here, just the most otherworldly and awesome thing ever (really should redo my review sometime).

Everyone: The answer to your recommendations, no matter what they are, is Thergothon's Stream From the Heavens. Nahsil, check 'em out. You too, MikeyC. Unklevladistav, forget Mikey's recs and listen to this album.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:09 am 

I found Stream from the Heavens pretty damn dull.

caspian
Wanderer of the Wastes

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:12 am 

You like Mayhem?

I AM SORRY, YOUR OPINION HAS JUST BEEN INVALIDATED.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:20 am 

You're Christian?

I AM SORRY, YOUR OPINION HAS JUST BEEN INVALIDATED.
(Sorry about the low blow, but you started this game!)

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.ph ... 1078#99317

According to this, Sunn O))) Kicked started the whole drone doom movement. "Popularised" it? Maybe (as far as drone goes), but kicked started? Hur hur hur no.

caspian
Wanderer of the Wastes

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:26 am 

Bad grammar aside, it's not that inaccurate. Before Sunn O))) it was basically Earth and Boris. There were other bands that were close (teeth of lions, thrones,Thorr's Hammer etc..) but Sunn definitely made the genre bigger.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:29 am 

Hmm, good point. Oh well.

LISTEN TO PENTAGRAM'S DAY OF RECKONING. Best doom production ever, plus Evil Seed rules and Broken Vows has what is officially known as Sexiest Riff Ever. Not the most awesome or overall best, but definitely sexiest.

unclevladistav
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:23 am 

caspian wrote:
It's really starting to confuse me- whenever people ask for a funeral doom band basically no one recommends Thergothon. WHY??? They are easily the best funeral doom band out there. None of that female vocals/violins crap here, just the most otherworldly and awesome thing ever (really should redo my review sometime).

Everyone: The answer to your recommendations, no matter what they are, is Thergothon's Stream From the Heavens. Nahsil, check 'em out. You too, MikeyC. Unklevladistav, forget Mikey's recs and listen to this album.

I already ordered that online, should've mentioned it, but it hasn't arrived yet. I figured the best place to start was near the beginning of funeral doom.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:43 pm 

caspian wrote:

I know Thergothon ;)

ikuturiso
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:59 pm 

Thergothon are indeed great. Got the demo but no Stream From the Heavens yet (though of course I have heard it), gotta fix that! Certainly the best band to come out of my hometown.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:01 pm 

For epic trad doom, check out Dantesco. It's maybe a bit fast (by doom standards, of course), but it has great leads to compensate for it. Good riffs are a given, as well as great vocals.

BlackFairies
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:30 pm 

Don`t know the Doom genre that well, but my favourite will always remain Worship`s "Last Tape Before Doomsday". Bought it in Czech Republic and I was blown away while I drove back home...

Visionary
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:19 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

-Decent-good production

Have not paid attention to this thread but check out Forest stream. Also Forest of shadows - Where Dreams Turn to dust. Oh and The Eternal - The somber Light of Isolation. The second two have violins and no female vocals while the first has no female vocals and is fantastic.
Because they are not considered metal? This is not fare!!!

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:47 pm 

I'm looking for Traditional Doom Metal in the vein of Iron Man, The Wizar'd, and Black Sabbath.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 126  Next