* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Benedelos
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:44 pm 

jackwestjr wrote:
Deathakon wrote:
So lately, i've been getting off that emo garbage music because its horrible. but im lacking some great metal. mostly im into iced earth, manowar, and sabaton. any suggestions to what great bands are out there?

If you haven't heard of them already, Ensiferum is one of my personal favorites. Some other great viking metal bands include Thyrfing, Manegarm, Asmegin, and Moonsorrow.

Good for you, Deathakon!

INdeed, Ensiferum, Thyrfing and Moonsorrow are amazing. I'd also throw in Finntroll, Enslaved and Falkenbach in the bands to check out.

Aoc
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:23 pm 

Check out Arvinger - Helgards Fall, excellent viking metal though they're christian. They have proven that religion has nothing to do with music after all!

MaDTransilvanian
Caravan Beyond Redemption

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:16 pm 

I just recently bought Einherjer's last album Blot and it's pretty awesome although does need a certain amound of patience to listen to (this isn't a flaw since those albums which are harder to get into tend to be richer in content). Which of their other albums are worth checking out and are there any bands who play like them?

DeadGein
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:26 pm 

MaDTransilvanian wrote:
I just recently bought Einherjer's last album Blot and it's pretty awesome although does need a certain amound of patience to listen to (this isn't a flaw since those albums which are harder to get into tend to be richer in content). Which of their other albums are worth checking out and are there any bands who play like them?

If I would have to recommend an Einherjer album, I would recommed Norwegian Native Arts since it's my favorite one by them.

Aoc
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:49 pm 

MaDTransilvanian wrote:

I recommend to you the Aurora Borealis demo, Dragons of the North and Odin Owns ye All.

Mark777
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:11 pm 

what are some good Folk/black metal bands? I'm looking for something heavy on flutes and folk drums with good black metal elements as well.

Aoc
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:40 pm 

Mark777 wrote:
what are some good Folk/black metal bands? I'm looking for something heavy on flutes and folk drums with good black metal elements as well.

Try Cruachan - Tuatha Na Gael (1995)

Zhuinden
Slow on the Uptake

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:21 pm 

Kamaedzitca uses lotsa flutes, I'd say you should check out their 2008 album. Velimor uses flutes too...

gomorro
Too Slow to Owl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:36 pm 

Is there any folk-metal band with strong Irish influences? or any metal band a la Dropkick Murphys?

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:06 pm 

You mean like Celtic folk metal? Yeah there are a bunch.

gomorro
Too Slow to Owl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:14 pm 

Snowgrave wrote:
Yeah but with some ballsy fiffs, bagpipes, fast sollos, violines, and manly vocals or harsh

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:29 pm 

So like...Eluveitie (minus the fast solos).

DeadGein
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:31 pm 

this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F5faztB ... re=related

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:12 am 

Mark777 wrote:

I can think of a ton of bands with flutes and black metal elements but not so many with folk drums. Arkona's newest has a lot of flutes (among other traditional instruments) along with great varied drumming that occasionally sounds like folk-style drums.

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:14 am 

gomorro wrote:
Snowgrave wrote:
Yeah but with some ballsy fiffs, bagpipes, fast sollos, violines, and manly vocals or harsh

The newest Waylander is quite good.

Generally I'm disappointed with Celtic folk metal. As beautiful as traditional Irish music is, you think the market would be saturated with great Celtic metal bands, but there are very few I like.

Negru_Voda
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:58 pm 

Negru_Voda wrote:
Anyone know any folk metal bands with Eastern European folk influences? Something in the vein of Arkona (Rus) or Nokturnal Mortum's song "Weltanschauung", with that kind of melody and tonality.

Bumping this, I didn't get any recs from this thread yet.

DeadGein
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:12 pm 

you could try Kroda

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LhEGFGG1Ig

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:32 pm 

Negru_Voda wrote:
Negru_Voda wrote:
Anyone know any folk metal bands with Eastern European folk influences? Something in the vein of Arkona (Rus) or Nokturnal Mortum's song "Weltanschauung", with that kind of melody and tonality.

Bumping this, I didn't get any recs from this thread yet.

Kamaedzitca's "Pyarune," Pagan Reign (especially "Tverd"), and the band Tverd (founded by Vetrodar of Pagan Reign).

I just got Tverd's debut CD and it's amazing. If you like a lot of clean vocals and traditional instruments but with the aggression of Pagan Reign, this is one to look out for.

teruist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:46 pm 

gomorro wrote:
Snowgrave wrote:

Suidakra.

the end.

trier36
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:18 am 

I would like to recommend Trollfest. Good for drinking, and they are using a lot of folk instruments.

And then Sigtyr, Feigd and Mistur. Those three bands are from Sogndal, so you may know what that means.

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:23 am 

trier36 wrote:
And then Sigtyr, Feigd and Mistur. Those three bands are from Sogndal, so you may know what that means.

Sigtyr is quite awesome. The spirit of Windir is strong in that one.

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:44 am 

Are there any good Italian folk metal bands?

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:54 am 

Slag wrote:
Are there any good Italian folk metal bands?

Folk Stone's recent full-length is pretty good, may be worth checking out.

There's also Elvenking, but I only suggest getting their debut Heathenreel.

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:00 am 

Thanks I'll check them both out.

vero665
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:55 pm 

i kinda need help here u__u

ok the thing is that i'm about 99% sure that viking and folk are completely different subgenres but, they seem to be so commonly confussed that at some point i actually started wondering if i had gone wrong. i started listening to both folk and viking a bout a year ago and i still have a lot of trouble trying to tell the difference.

so, as far as i know, folk pretty much demands lyrical and instrumental influences from general european folklore (wether it is scandinavian, celtic or whatever the case is).

then viking metal, is more oriented to the epic, glorious battles contempted in either history or folklore. instrumentally, the have a lot more keybords to make it sound more powerful, epic and majestic, and they do not necessarilly have to have folkloric instrumentation.

therefore my conclussion is that they go so good together that a great deals of bands have taken inspiration from both subgenres at the point that to some people that have less knowledge they have become synonyms.

now here comes my question, what do you guys think? is it possible that i finally got it? [i'll take comments, suggestions, corrections, ideas and whatever you've gotta say]

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:57 pm 

vero665 wrote:
now here comes my question, what do you guys think? is it possible that i finally got it? [i'll take comments, suggestions, corrections, ideas and whatever you've gotta say]

In my experience, I've found that the terms folk metal and pagan metal (I tend to not use the term Viking metal anymore) are interchangeable a large percentage of the time. There are folk metal bands without pagan themes and pagan metal bands without any folk, but there's a lot of overlap.

I think most of the time it comes down to what a band wants to call themselves. Many bands use both terms to describe themselves.

Crushader
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:42 am 

vero665 wrote:
now here comes my question, what do you guys think?

I see the difference between folk and viking metal very much the same way as you. To be more specific, viking metal-bands naturally need to take their themes from Nordic viking-era, Norse mythology etc. whereas folk metal-bands can draw their inspiration from any country's/area's folklore in the world. Often the definition "folk/viking metal" seems to be the only correct term to describe bands making this kind of music because of the diversive elements of their work.

samekh wrote:
I think most of the time it comes down to what a band wants to call themselves.

This is important, naturally.

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:02 pm 

Crushader wrote:
I see the difference between folk and viking metal very much the same way as you. To be more specific, viking metal-bands naturally need to take their themes from Nordic viking-era, Norse mythology etc. whereas folk metal-bands can draw their inspiration from any country's/area's folklore in the world. Often the definition "folk/viking metal" seems to be the only correct term to describe bands making this kind of music because of the diversive elements of their work.

This is why I use the word "pagan" (or "heathen") instead of "Viking" because what do you call a band that uses their own (non-Norse) folklore yet does not employ the use of folk melodies or instruments in their music?

Crushader
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:19 pm 

samekh wrote:
This is why I use the word "pagan" (or "heathen") instead of "Viking" because what do you call a band that uses their own (non-Norse) folklore yet does not employ the use of folk melodies or instruments in their music?

I don't see pagan metal as a metal sub-genre the same way I see viking metal. The reason behind this is that when I see the term viking metal in a band's description, I basically know what kind of music it's going to be but pagan metal isn't so clear definition. Pagan metal can be black metal, folk metal, viking metal etc. but viking metal is viking metal. For me pagan metal is like a layer on the essential genre (or sub-genre) and viking metal is a sub-genre intrinsically. So, I would call your example pagan black metal, pagan death metal etc. or simply black metal, death metal etc.

Did I express myself clearly enough? :)

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:25 pm 

So Enslaved isn't black metal?

Crushader
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:52 pm 

Kruel wrote:
So Enslaved isn't black metal?

You clearly missed my point. Viking metal can be mixed with other genres 'cause it is a sub-genre by it's own right. Pagan metal is a kind of specification, not a real sub-genre so it cannot be mixed with other genres in the same sense as viking metal. But remember that this is only my two cents to the subject.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:47 pm 

Well, I don't see it that way. Bands like Enslaved (I mean early Enslaved, by the way) play pure black metal with a certain approach which makes them Viking (black) metal, rather than consciously mixing two genres.

Negru_Voda
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:27 am 

I've been listening to Falkenbach's Heralding: The Fireblade all day on repeat. It's been a while since I listened to an album like this, totally immersing myself in it and reading the lyrics along to it as opposed to just using it as background music to whatever I'm doing on the computer. The book layout with a snapshot related to the songs is a great idea. A great and inspiring and very special album. It reminds me of playing Rome: Total War somewhat.

Count_Grazadh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:29 am 

doomlover wrote:
I'm looking for some folk/viking that is depressing, i really don't like the bands that just sing about drinking mead and having a jolly time.

i like Bathory's "Blood Fire Death" and Moonsorrow's stuff that ive heard on their myspace

cheers in advance :wink:

depressing folk and viking metal...what the fuck are you talking about man?????

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:35 am 

Count_Grazadh wrote:
doomlover wrote:
I'm looking for some folk/viking that is depressing, i really don't like the bands that just sing about drinking mead and having a jolly time.

i like Bathory's "Blood Fire Death" and Moonsorrow's stuff that ive heard on their myspace

I think he stated it pretty clearly in his post, and even mentioned examples of folk/viking metal bands that he considers depressing. Now, depressing probably isn't the right word for Bathory's viking metal stuff, or even later Moonsorrow. Melancholic and dark, surely.

Other examples of such bands are Enslaved and their viking metal, Thyrfing's later stuff and Primordial. Even Finntroll has their darker material, especially on the last two full-lengths. It does exist, believe or not.

Negru_Voda
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:55 pm 

Count_Grazadh wrote:
doomlover wrote:

Check out Sig:Ar:Tyr's two albums. They're very melancholy overall and you might even say depressive. Primordial - The Gathering Wilderness is also more of a "downer" folk metal album, and a good one.

mordecai66696
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:38 pm 

there's a lot of viking/folk that you gonna like.
Falkenbach
Einherjer
Ashen light
Trollech

Krav
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:17 pm 

Does anyone know of any bands that use a real trumpet(s) in their songs? I don't mean synth that sounds like a trumpet, but an actual one. Preferably throughout an entire album, but a song or two is ok as well. Also preferably only a trumpet and not any other brass along with it. An example of the sound I'm looking for would be Turisas - Among Ancestors and Rex Regi Rebellis, only with actual trumpet instead of trumpety sounding synth. Thanks.

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:22 pm 

vero665 wrote:
i kinda need help here u__u

Here is a rant about Amon Amarth and why they aren't Viking Metal, which explains exactly what Viking Metal in within it. Feel free to re-use this if you wish, it's free for anyone to use. I originally created it here: http://www.new.facebook.com/home.php#/g ... 104&ref=ts

Quote:
I am compelled, whilst headbanging away in my chair to a thunderous, majestic viking soundtrack consisting of Bathory, Thyrfing and others, to set straight certain mis-conceptions in the modern Metal scene of Amon Amarth and to what specific sub-genre their music pertains to.

And to get to this, we have to delve into a considerable amount of history.

Amon Amarth play a brand of extreme Metal ultilizing a vocalist, two guitarists (though only a single guitarist on their first full-length record 'Once Sent from the Golden Hall'), a bass guitar player and a drummer. The vocal style is of a standard Death Metal variety, with deep, “Cookie Monster” vocals interspersed with the occasional, more high-pitched Black Metal scream along with various bellows, shouts, and other gutturals. Under the moniker of 'Scum', Amon Amarth was first formed in 1988, playing a fairly standard brand of Death Metal on a single demo, and then, with a name change sometime in 1992, they assumed their now-familiar mantle of Amon Amarth.

In 1993, something happened in the Death Metal scene which resonates to this day – Carcass, a UK band already reknowned for creating the Deathgrind sub-genre of Goregrind in their early career, released 'Heartwork', which was a complete divergence from their previous records into something which could only be later identifyed as the first Melodic Death Metal album.

Soon thereafter, this new brand of “Melodic” Death Metal was quickly picked up by various Swedish bands – At the Gates, Dark Tranquillity and In Flames being the founding fathers of this movement, hailing from Gothenburg, Sweden. Tumba, the hometown of our buddies Amon Amarth is geographically on the opposite end of southern penisula of Sweden, but it is in the south. We can only assume in the years from the name change in 1992 to the release of the full-length 'Once Sent from the Golden Hall' in 1998 that Amon Amarth were exposed to this growing scene, and that they thereafter were a part of it. Their sound, musically, is without a doubt Death Metal with a large, melodic, “splash” of flavour. Not to be under-emphasized, Amon Amarth have also frequently used the decidedly Black Metal style of guitar riffing called “tremelo picking” which is a repiticious style of picking focusing on a few cords and the like (admittantly, I am no expert on exact guitar terminology, but I can pick out tremelo picking as well as the next guy – probably better, actually). In short, Amon Amarth have always had a certain “Blackened Death Metal” style to their music, alongside their more important (and more prominent) Melodic Death Metal style.

In any case, now that we have the history of Amon Amarth down-pat, we need to focus on why people seem to always want to call them “Viking Metal” or “Odinistic Viking Metal” or something else entirely mis-leading. Another history lesson coming right up!

Viking Metal all began with Bathory; more specifically the founder, song-writer, and master-mind Tomas “Quorthon” Forsberg. In 1988 he released what was to be the start of Viking Metal: 'Blood Fire Death.' An epic, driven album; it notably has three main elements which can be traced to all later works in his “Viking Metal” discography:

1) an extreme metal element, specifically of the Black Metal variety, which Quorthon also helped found, alongside bands such as Venom, Mercyful Fate, Sarcófago and Hellhammer/Celtic Frost.
2) a Folk music element, specifically that of a Norse/Scandinavian variety. Quorthon essentually romaticised him heritage through his music, using his native styles to accuentuate and take hold of his music.
3) an epic atmosphere and feel to the music. Emotionally charged and inspired, Quorthon's music stands the test of time even today as a staple of extreme metal – and an Epic, bombastic one at that.

Now, we must define certain other things before we go on.

Folk music, combined with Heavy Metal, had never been done before Bathory came along and did it, and indeed this inspired the next generation of musicians. However, what Bathory did was not, in the sense of what we define Folk Metal as today, “Folk Metal”. That title is reserved for the 1991 release of Skyclad's full-length 'The Wayward Sons of Mother Earth', which was the first true merger of Folk music and Metal music. What Bathory did with an Epic, Folky version of Black Metal is DISTINCT from Skyclad's fusion of Heavy Metal and Folk Music.

Now, with all of THAT in mind, let us reconcile Viking Metal with Amon Amarth.

Amon Amarth play a style of (slightly Blackened) Melodic Death Metal. They do not use Folk melodies or instruments in their music whatsoever. They are from the Death Metal school of music, whereas Viking Metal is certainly descended from Black Metal, and while they have their Epic moments in their music, Amon Amarth are most certainly not Epic in that certain atmospheric, melancholic way that Bathory was.

Amon Amarth are fucking fantastic! I can't stress this enough. I was lucky enough to check them out live in concert last year at Winnipeg's very own Royal Albert bar, and what with a thunderstorm raging outside, with pouring rain and a great crashing of lighting bolts and wanton clouds, even I felt like we were there with Oden at our sides ( :P ). Without a doubt in my mind, without a shred of regret, I can say THAT will be the defining metal concert of my life. Fucking EPIC!

But, I can also say, as one who loves a good debate and the dissection of Heavy Metal and it's plethora of off-shoots, fusions and otherwise tangled web of genres and sub-genres, I cannot NOT speak out when someone foolishly trys to pass off Amon Amarth as Viking Metal. They simply don't fit the bill. Stylistically, the only thing they mirror Bathory in is their slight Black Metal leanings, and the use of Vikings in their lyrics. That's all folks. Nothing more.

So, feel free to go ahead and enjoy Heavy Metal, Folk music and whateverotherkindof music you enjoy, but if you've taken the time to read through this diatribe of Amon Amarth and that bands supposed connection with Viking Metal, perhaps you have learned something not entirely un-useful for the day. As Aristotle put it “everything in moderation - except for knowledge.”

Also appropriate at this time would likely be a word of wisdom from Amon Amarth themselves, wouldn't you think? From the frontman himself, here's Johan Hegg's (rather cheeky) words of wisom, from this (http://www.themetalweb.com/amonamarthinterview.html) The Metal Web interveiw:

“We play Death Metal. We write about Vikings so therefor some refer us to Viking metal, but I have no idea what that is. I can't imagine the Viking’s veer into metal at all except on the swords and stuff. And musically, I guess they only played these strange lip instruments and some bongos or whatever.”

cheers,
--N

----------------
Now playing: Static-X - Transmission
via FoxyTunes

Airflla
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:47 pm 

I really can't see that 'Viking Metal' can stand alone as a subgenre. I just treat the Viking descriptor as additional qualifier in the same way as melancholic, nationalist, technical, celtic etc. The majority of 'Viking Metal' IS folk metal, and if I had to I'd sub-categorize it as viking folk metal. Just as Amon Amarth could be called viking melodeath and Enslaved's Frost is viking-flavoured BM. There's just not enough mutual exclusivity between folk metal and so-called Viking metal for the latter to have any legs as a stand-alone subgenre. The same applies to 'Pagan'... it's pagan folk metal or pagan black metal; it just seems to fit better in the metal 'tree'.

gomorro wrote:
Snowgrave wrote:
Mael Mordha is what you're looking for, both full-lengths are great, the latest one having slightly heavier & ballsier fiffs.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 42  Next