Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Crepuscular
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 6:34 am 

Yes, another one, inspired by the black, thrash, and power metal help threads.

This time, it's all about folk/viking. Ask for recommendations and me as well as other members will help. I have good knowledge of the genre and I'm sure others on this forum do as well. So ask away.

Also, I want to add that I made this thread becuase I've seen a lot of folk rec threads, and so I thought I would make a place where everyone could ask without the whole metal discussion overflowing.

Last edited by Crepuscular on Sun May 18, 2008 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 6:36 am 

...are you fucking kidding me right now...

doomlover
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:21 am 

I'm looking for some folk/viking that is depressing, i really don't like the bands that just sing about drinking mead and having a jolly time.

i like Bathory's "Blood Fire Death" and Moonsorrow's stuff that ive heard on their myspace

cheers in advance :wink:

Crepuscular
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:29 am 

doomlover wrote:
I'm looking for some folk/viking that is depressing, i really don't like the bands that just sing about drinking mead and having a jolly time.

i like Bathory's "Blood Fire Death" and Moonsorrow's stuff that ive heard on their myspace

I think you might like Temnozor's stuff, but only their newest album. Agalloch is also there, even though I would only rec "The Mantle" and "Pale Folklore".

I really recommend Temnozor though, Folkstorm of the Azure Nights is a genius record. Unless you wanted only screaming, then it's probably not for you.

Thyrfing, great dark and gloomy viking metal.

And Finntroll newest album isn't depressing, but it's easily not as 'fun'. Rok on Nattfodd is a really sad and depressing acoustic piece.

schwuppe
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:39 am 

i'm looking for an album similar to enslaved - vikingligr veldi
i've never heard anything that's even close to it ...

Spenot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:39 am 

doomlover wrote:

I would recommend:

Einherjer - they're similar to Bathory, but to Hammerheart, not Blood Fire Death in their atmosphere (somewhat slow, but epic), with clean/harsh vocals.

Thyrfing - they are faster than Einherjer, have more folk elements (more acoustic passages, flutes) and have growling vocals.

But I wouldn't call them depressive, but they certainly don't have the happy atmosphere the bigger bands have.

If you're interested in just depressive folk music, check out Nest (ambient folk) and Uaral (acoustic folk with quite guttural vocals)

Crepuscular
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:43 am 

schwuppe wrote:

That album is one of the best viking albums ever, but unfortunately, it is a one of a kind album. I'll take a look at my collection though, and I'll get back to you.

Spenot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:46 am 

schwuppe wrote:

Have you heard Windir? Any album is good from them, but my personal favorite is "1184".

schwuppe
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:50 am 

Crepuscular wrote:
That album is one of the best viking albums ever, but unfortunately, it is a one of a kind album. I'll take a look at my collection though, and I'll get back to you.

I wish Enslaved would have kept their sound and not changed into progressive black

Spenot wrote:
Have you heard Windir? Any album is good from them, but my personal favorite is "1184".

Of course
All albums are great, my personal favorite is "Arntor" by far

SFM
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:15 am 

Feel free to check my site out as I have hordes of rare folk/black metal listed.

FOR A COMPLETE LIST OF THOUSANDS OF RARE/OBSCURE EXTREME TITLES AT VERY LOW COSTS! SUPPORT THE UNDERGROUND!

ALL CDRS ONLY 2 BUX EACH!!

Call_From_The_Tower
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:47 am 

Spenot wrote:
schwuppe wrote:

As good as Windir are, they bear little resemblance to Enslaved, let alone Vikingligr Veldi. I'm still undecided about their best album though. It's between Soknardalr and Arntor for me.

As for the rec, I have to agree with the others here in saying that Vikingligr really is a one of kind album. At least to my knowledge. The closest thing I could think of would be maybe early Kampfar or Varg's Wolfszeit, although they're still not that similar.

Call_From_The_Tower
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:02 am 

doomlover wrote:

Well, you should also get Bathory's other Viking output. Get Hammerheart, Twilight of the Gods, Blood on Ice and both Nordland's. Also, definitely get all of Moonsorrow's albums. Verisäkeet is easily their best IMO. Absolutely incredible album.

Other bands:

Windir: Melodic Viking/folk, which is incredibly beautiful and emotional. Also can be quite 'depressing' (as you put it) in some songs. Like I said, melodic, but not in a 'bouncy' Fintroll-esque kind of way.

Borknagar: Get their s/t. Aggressive and folky black/Viking metal.

Enslaved: Fantastic, epic black/Viking metal. Vikingligr Veldi and Frost are both quite raw, if you're into that sort of thing. They changed their sound later on to a more progressive black metal sound.

Kampfar: Melodic black/Viking metal. Brilliant, brilliant band. Any of their three albums are great, but my personal favourite (and also one of the best black/Viking albums ever) is Mellom Skogkledde Aaser. Melodic, soaring riffs and extremely emotive vocals.

Sorgsvart: Black/folk metal. One of my favourite bands. His debut, Fortapt Fra Verden I Vakkert Selvmord, is an astonishing release. Ripping black metal fused with very well-crafted folk interludes/elements. His sophomore release, Vikingtid og Anarki, is just as good, if not better. Much better production and just more complex in general, with a much fuller sound.

Storm: Viking/folk side project of Fenriz and Satyr from the mid-90s. Very folk influenced and quite unique. Nordavind is an extremely good release.

And that's about all I can be bothered with right now. Might add some more later.

doomlover
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:24 am 

Thanks for the bands, ive got a nice haul to go check out :D

Khroshan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:40 am 

Crepuscular wrote:
doomlover wrote:

I think you might like Temnozor's stuff, but only their newest album. Agalloch is also there, even though I would only rec "The Mantle" and "Pale Folklore".

I really recommend Temnozor though, Folkstorm of the Azure Nights is a genius record. Unless you wanted only screaming, then it's probably not for you.

And Finntroll newest album isn't depressing, but it's easily not as 'fun'. Rok on Nattfodd is a really sad and depressing acoustic piece.

Rok isnt sad and depressing at all. It has a very positive vibe. Like chilling out after a great party, or looking forward to what the future will bring.

Khroshan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:11 am 

Ive got a couple of questions. I loved Enslaveds Vikingligr Veldi, and am in the process of checking out Hordanes Land. But I dont like rock music. Are there any other Enslaved albums I should check out? Which album was their last black metal release?

Also, I love Bathorys Blood Fire Death, but think Hammerheart sucks donkey balls. Any other release I should listen to?

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:01 am 

doomlover wrote:

All of Morrigan's albums seem to be inspired by "Blood Fire Death," and contain a mixture of faster, thrash-like metal and slower, epic metal with occasional clean vocals. "Celts" is an especially good album of theirs.

If you're looking for more "sad" Viking and folk metal, there are some more doom metal-style bands that remind me of Bathory's more epic style: Ereb Altor just released their first album, and it's very Bathory-esque. Also Scald, from Russia, who only released one album, is inspired quite a bit by Bathory, though the vocals are in a different style. [Edit: Graveland as well.]

One of the darkest folk metal bands I've heard is Vo Skorbyah. They have one album out so far, and it's awesome. The lyrics are all taken from Russian funeral texts, and the songs are all very slow and melancholy. Highly recommended.

Last edited by samekh on Sun May 18, 2008 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:53 am 

Khroshan wrote:
Ive got a couple of questions. I loved Enslaveds Vikingligr Veldi, and am in the process of checking out Hordanes Land. But I dont like rock music. Are there any other Enslaved albums I should check out? Which album was their last black metal release?

Check out the Yggdrassil demo. Essential Enslaved release.

And if you like Enslaved, you may like Helheim. Viking black metal.
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

Call_From_The_Tower
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 12:02 pm 

Khroshan wrote:

Also, I love Bathorys Blood Fire Death, but think Hammerheart sucks donkey balls. Any other release I should listen to?

Enslaved started to incorporate more progressive stuff into their music around the time they released Eld. But really, anything up to Blodhemn is still black metal-y. Frost is quite raw, and more in the vein of Vikingligr Veldi.

As for hating Hammerheart, I can't really help you. Blood Fire Death is really a one off for Bathory. His first two are dirty thrash albums which hint towards black, Under the Sign... is a true black metal record, and Hammerheart and Twilight of the Gods are much in the same vein. You might want to check out his later Viking stuff though, namely Blood on Ice and both Nordland releases. They're not quite as hard to get used to as Hammerheart.

Edit: Second Kruel's rec of Helheim. Furious Viking black metal. The vocals are quite extreme, especially on the first album, but for me that's a plus.

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:04 pm 

Kruel wrote:
And if you like Enslaved, you may like Helheim. Viking black metal.

Also, the band Orlog is very good pagan metal in a black metal style. They remind me of Immortal or early Enslaved.

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:05 pm 

As for newer folk/Viking bands, anyone know of any bands similar to Eluveitie, Turisas, or bands of that sort. Bombastic, epic and still a bit folky as well as metal.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:10 pm 

The best Borknagar album is by far The Olden Domain, and every fan of metal should already have it.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:27 pm 

The_Boss wrote:
As for newer folk/Viking bands, anyone know of any bands similar to Eluveitie, Turisas, or bands of that sort. Bombastic, epic and still a bit folky as well as metal.

I'm not sure there's another band that sounds close to Eluveitie (except for the Celtic influences, in which case bands like Cruachan, Hordak, Heol Telwen, etc. might fit the bill), but you could probably get a ton of suggestions for bands that sound close to Turisas. Moonsorrow and Ensiferum are probably the most obvious choices.

Caerb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:29 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
The best Borknagar album is by far The Olden Domain, and every fan of metal should already have it.

Every female fan of metal should, yes. Borknagar is an incredibly weak band.

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:51 pm 

samekh wrote:
The_Boss wrote:

I'm not sure there's another band that sounds close to Eluveitie (except for the Celtic influences, in which case bands like Cruachan, Hordak, Heol Telwen, etc. might fit the bill), but you could probably get a ton of suggestions for bands that sound close to Turisas. Moonsorrow and Ensiferum are probably the most obvious choices.

Thanks, though I've already heard of the obvious recs for the more famous bands. I would like to know though if more bands incorporate melodeath and folk like Eluveitie though.

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 3:08 pm 

The_Boss wrote:
Thanks, though I've already heard of the obvious recs for the more famous bands. I would like to know though if more bands incorporate melodeath and folk like Eluveitie though.

You might want to check out Minhyriath, also from Switzerland like Eluveitie. He just released a really good death/folk metal album. It's not quite Eluveitie, but you might like it.

Suidakra doesn't use folk to anywhere near the same extent as Eluveitie, but their album "Caledonia" is worth checking out. I think some of their older albums as well, but I haven't heard those yet.

Littlewolf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 4:47 pm 

Falkenbach - not 'happy' Viking band, but more like Bathory...

Incinerated_Glory
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:35 pm 

Huldrefolk or Sacrilegium or any Pagan BM is good.

Crepuscular
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:43 pm 

The_Boss wrote:
samekh wrote:
The_Boss wrote:

You'd really like Svartsot...well I think. They are death/folk. Not really melodeath, but it's still got some melody and really low growls.

HeavyMetalSteve
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:52 pm 

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Primordial. They are really depressive and have some celtic elements.

I definitly recomend Temnozor's Folkstorm of the Azure Nights.

Maybe check out Skyforger, not all of their material is happy and they do use some aggresive vocals.

Crepuscular
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:54 pm 

Khroshan wrote:
Crepuscular wrote:
doomlover wrote:

Rok isnt sad and depressing at all. It has a very positive vibe. Like chilling out after a great party, or looking forward to what the future will bring.

It's all very opinionated I guess. :)

Last edited by Crepuscular on Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:54 pm 

Boss, you may like Falchion. They're better than their reviews say, believe me. You could also try Elivagar from Germany. Their latest full-length could use alot of work, but it's certainly interesting..

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:33 pm 

Snowgrave wrote:
Boss, you may like Falchion. They're better than their reviews say, believe me. You could also try Elivagar from Germany. Their latest full-length could use alot of work, but it's certainly interesting..

Lol, I was one of the ones who gave them a negative review on a demo. Their full lengths are decent though. :lol:

And Svartsot is downloading now, thanks!

mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:05 am 

samekh wrote:
One of the darkest folk metal bands I've heard is Vo Skorbyah. They have one album out so far, and it's awesome. The lyrics are all taken from Russian funeral texts, and the songs are all very slow and melancholy. Highly recommended.

Vo Skorbyah are great, but I consider them to be funeral doom with folk influence. Although they might appeal to folk metal fans as well.

Another folk/doom band I haven't seen mentioned here is Mael Mórdha from Ireland, also very recommended.

Speaking of skuforger, they don't have any happy songs, they're either agressive or doomy, with little to no exceptions. Might try also Grindmaster Dead - the pre-Skyforger, when they played death/doom with some folk influences. That is, if you are lucky enough to find it anywhere for download.

Crepuscular
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:06 am 

I have pre-skyforger, and I must say I like it more then Skyforger now. I guess I could never really get into them.

Crepuscular
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:24 pm 

My turn, I'm looking for Atmospheric Folk/Black, like Negura Bunget. Anything?

JWalker
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:10 pm 

For those of you that like Eluveitie, Equilibrium, from Germany, play Epic Folk/Viking Metal that is absolutely amazing. They only have one album out now, but another is coming in June.

Call_From_The_Tower
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:08 pm 

Crepuscular wrote:
My turn, I'm looking for Atmospheric Folk/Black, like Negura Bunget. Anything?

Temnozor: Atmospheric folk/black from Russia.

Darkestrah: Excellent folk/black from Kyrgyzstan that is quite atmospheric. They have released three albums, of which my personal favourite is Epos. I believe they have another album coming out soon.

Wyrd: Finnish band that employs quite a lot of folk elements with fairly raw black metal, especially on their early albums. Heathen and Huldrafolk are my favourite albums from them and are both excellent releases.

Altorių Šešėliai (also known as Altar Shadows): Lithuanian band which plays mainly slow-tempo ambient/atmospheric black metal but also incorporates a number of folk elements and uses a number of traditional folk instruments. His album 'Margi Sakalai' (Speckeldy Falcons) is fantastic.

Imperium_X
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:30 pm 

Is there any band that does:

1. Really good solos (I know I keep asking this :( )
or
2. The voice is its own instrument (Ex: Tyr) and brings an amazingness to the music

I'm familiar with Tyr, Ensiferum, Lost Horizon, Turisas, Enslaved, Amon Amarth if that helps cancel out recommendations.

Crepuscular
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:05 am 

Imperium_X wrote:
Is there any band that does:

1. Really good solos (I know I keep asking this :( )
or
2. The voice is its own instrument (Ex: Tyr) and brings an amazingness to the music

I'm familiar with Tyr, Ensiferum, Lost Horizon, Turisas, Enslaved, Amon Amarth if that helps cancel out recommendations.

Windir, you'd love them, they are more black metal oriented, but they have folk influences. So you might want to give them a try if you haven't already.

Hmm, try Temnozor..I keep recommending that, but they have a vocalist that is weird at first, but it grows on you and meshes with the music so well.

Also...tryyyyy Eluveitie.

Moonsorrow, they don't really have guitar soloes, but they have such an atmostphere that...it's just...something you have to listen too.

I'm sure you've heard of Moonsorrow and Eluveitie, but their new albums rock ass.

I'll get back to ya ;d

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:08 am 

JWalker wrote:
For those of you that like Eluveitie, Equilibrium, from Germany, play Epic Folk/Viking Metal that is absolutely amazing. They only have one album out now, but another is coming in June.

I'm assuming you've heard the obvious Wintersun and Turisas, but if you haven't that might work. Also possibly Tverd by Pagan Reign.

Cadacross might work.

Falchion's full lengths might work, but they're nothing too special.

Thyrfing's Farsotstider is in the similar vein.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 42  Next