Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:25 am 

I want me some raw folk metal/pagan metal. Not the cringy drinkhorn larpy bullshit. Raw and evil as shit.

Cudnoredje
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:03 am 

First snow this year. It means: time to open viking/black/folk metal season.
I need more stuff like Manegarm (from 2005.), Einherjer (from 2000.) or even Vintersorg (all phases I guess).

Ingredients: screaming, singing, scandinavian folk melodies (full time or occasionally), distortion-clean changes,
occasionally violin or woodwinds, guest female vocals (not necessary included)...all in one pot (album).

Not too raw and noisy (the lowest borderline is Thyrfing "Farsotstider" for example),
but also not too prog/heavy like Tyr. Obligatory: no nazi stuff.

emax
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:44 pm 

Any recommendations for folk/viking/pagan metal that is also able to cross into symphonic and power metal, and possibly adapt the songwriting used by the progressive metla greats (Symphony X, Dream Theatre, Fates Warning, Mastodon, Tool etc), intricate drumming and soloing, and do so effectively? Bonu8s is they are able to mix in death/black and progressive power vocals (there is of course Ensiferum, Suidakra at one point and others who mix vocal styles but I was looking at those that utilize progressive, symphonic and/or power metal aspects as well).

Hellbeast11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:51 pm 

emax wrote:
Any recommendations for folk/viking/pagan metal that is also able to cross into symphonic and power metal, and possibly adapt the songwriting used by the progressive metla greats (Symphony X, Dream Theatre, Fates Warning, Mastodon, Tool etc), intricate drumming and soloing, and do so effectively? Bonu8s is they are able to mix in death/black and progressive power vocals (there is of course Ensiferum, Suidakra at one point and others who mix vocal styles but I was looking at those that utilize progressive, symphonic and/or power metal aspects as well).

Borknagar - Epic and Cronian maybe?

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:26 am 

Attempt two: I want some raw folk metal/pagan metal. Not the cringy drinkhorn larpy bullshit. Raw and evil as shit.

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:59 pm 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
Attempt two: I want some raw folk metal/pagan metal. Not the cringy drinkhorn larpy bullshit. Raw and evil as shit.

Temnozor - Sorcery Of Fragments
Temnozor - Sorcery Is Strengthening The Black Glory Of Rus'

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:04 am 

TheConqueror1 wrote:
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:

Temnozor - Sorcery Of Fragments
Temnozor - Sorcery Is Strengthening The Black Glory Of Rus'

Familiar with those, thanks! Super cringy how they have two albums starting with 'Sorcery', haha

projectfear22
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:32 pm 

Any new releases akin to Eluveities Helvetios album.

miskatonic79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:53 pm 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:

I got something good for you: Frostmoon

Metal_Kitty
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:04 pm 

Why is the Folk Metal genre screwed up now? Thanks!

"I'm metal 24-7" - Halford

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:49 pm 

miskatonic79 wrote:
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:

I know it, thank you.

~Guest 375902
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 12:25 pm 

Epic pagan BM, bring it on. I'm thinking Pagan Throne, though they are not really epic.

deopisi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 6:12 am 

Macabre omen

~Guest 375902
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 3:47 pm 

and you'd rec I begin where?

deopisi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 4:13 pm 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:

Maybe Aq'ab'al by Volahn

putrevomitory wrote:
and you'd rec I begin where?

From their second and last full-length, Gods of war - at war

~Guest 523229
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:26 am 

Does anybody have any recommendations for viking metal that is doomy and based upon traditional heavy metal compositions (as opposed to black metal based compositions)? Preferably something with sung vocals instead of growls or shrieks. I'm thinking of stuff like Scald and Bathory's Hammerheart and Twilight of the Gods albums; I really love these albums and it would be interesting to get turned onto bands/albums similar to this.

deopisi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:39 am 

You can try Ereb altor, Primordial and Mael mordha

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:31 am 

putrevomitory wrote:
Epic pagan BM, bring it on. I'm thinking Pagan Throne, though they are not really epic.

Hahaha, this comment made me laugh

Getitback2u
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:26 pm 

I'm looking for Middle-Eastern folk metal bands. I already know about Orphaned Land and Myrath, so some more obscure ones would be good.

~Guest 502755
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:00 am 

What exactly is pagan metal, is it a real genre? Viking metal is stuff that is similar to Bathory's Hammerheart and their further albums, and I hear these influences in bands like Falkenbach and Manegarm. With pagan metal, I can't find any description of sonic characteristics or progenitors of this genre. Moonsorrow is labelled as pagan metal, but I only hear folk, black and viking metal riffs in them. Is pagan metal just a version of viking metal that deals with different versions of paganism?

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:31 am 

So, I'm dipping my toes in the neofolk genre, and after listening to Sol Invictus, Death in June, Rome etc, I am just amazed at how much influence Agalloch took from these groups (especially on The Mantle).

Are there any other bands with that blatant neofolk influence combined with metal? Keep in mind, I'm not talking about folk metal (flutes, violins, Jew harp etc), but rather the integration of acoustic guitars into the songwriting in the way Agalloch does it on The Mantle and Bathory on Twilight of the Gods, and maybe like Pink Floyd on Wish you were Here(?).

deopisi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:01 am 

raumr wrote:
So, I'm dipping my toes in the neofolk genre, and after listening to Sol Invictus, Death in June, Rome etc, I am just amazed at how much influence Agalloch took from these groups (especially on The Mantle).

Are there any other bands with that blatant neofolk influence combined with metal? Keep in mind, I'm not talking about folk metal (flutes, violins, Jew harp etc), but rather the integration of acoustic guitars into the songwriting in the way Agalloch does it on The Mantle and Bathory on Twilight of the Gods, and maybe like Pink Floyd on Wish you were Here(?).

Falls of rauros, Skagos, October falls, Petrychor, Alda, Fauna

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:44 am 

You might also dig Vials Of Wrath.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:11 am 

deopisi wrote:
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:

Maybe Aq'ab'al by Volahn

Noooo

deopisi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:22 am 

Haha ok, sorry.
I know nothing more raw and evil than those barbaric rituals, I surrender

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:32 pm 

deopisi wrote:
Falls of rauros, Skagos, October falls, Petrychor, Alda, Fauna

Kerrick wrote:
You might also dig Vials Of Wrath.

Thanks for the recs. I checked out the first 2 Falls of Rauros albums, and it's definitely what I was looking for.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:03 pm 

You are very welcome! I hope you enjoy. Here's a song off of their latest full-length which gives a pretty good indicator of their sound:

Keep an eye out for their upcoming album which is supposedly going to be a fair bit darker and more intense.

Warviking
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:46 pm 

VintermaneOfficial wrote:
Does anybody have any recommendations for viking metal that is doomy and based upon traditional heavy metal compositions (as opposed to black metal based compositions)? Preferably something with sung vocals instead of growls or shrieks. I'm thinking of stuff like Scald and Bathory's Hammerheart and Twilight of the Gods albums; I really love these albums and it would be interesting to get turned onto bands/albums similar to this.

Sounds like we might like similar stuff. I think you might like Tyr.

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:57 am 

raumr wrote:

Not exactly metal but she does use black metal shrieks and a dark atmosphere.

https://youtu.be/0rF53CTmjDs
Hmm, I actually wouldn't mind buying him a sauna if it would reduce the odds of me getting infected by his excess sensitive-skin flakes that get blown off in the wind. I don't want to turn into a cunt.

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:31 am 

raumr wrote:

Harrow

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:33 am 

VintermaneOfficial wrote:

Three bands come to mind, all are doomy enough imo.

Mael Mordha: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKgB_1wnqMc
Doomsword: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWKaI9XKBlg
Ereb Altor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PihRtglTYHA (they turned Black at half course of their carreer but their started as an epic doom project)

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:00 pm 

So, I listened to Hammerheart for the first time in years yesterday, and loved it more than ever. Right now I am listening to Ereb Altor and digging that as well. Can I get some viking metal that's in the same vein as Hammerheart. As in, less harsh vocals. I love Quorthon's voice, it's very unique. So I don't necessarily want super polished vocals either. I want crushing riffs above all.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:35 am 

miskatonic79 wrote:
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:

By the way, did you know that Frostmoon is done by Frostein S. Arctander, who recorded Nattestid with Taake?

vindfukk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:37 am 

rec stuff like vindland ancestors age

or the viking vibe omnipresent in havamal's draugers march

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 5:51 am 

sortalikeadream wrote:
So, I listened to Hammerheart for the first time in years yesterday, and loved it more than ever. Right now I am listening to Ereb Altor and digging that as well. Can I get some viking metal that's in the same vein as Hammerheart. As in, less harsh vocals. I love Quorthon's voice, it's very unique. So I don't necessarily want super polished vocals either. I want crushing riffs above all.

Morrigan's album Celts channels really well Bathory's viking era, while not being thematically about vikings. Some songs are more akin to Blood Fire Death, but you'll find the crushing riffs for sure!

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 10:41 am 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
sortalikeadream wrote:

Morrigan's album Celts channels really well Bathory's viking era, while not being thematically about vikings. Some songs are more akin to Blood Fire Death, but you'll find the crushing riffs for sure!

Thanks, this was a great rec! One of the best metal albums I've heard in years to my ears. And even though it lacks clean vocals it hits almost the exact spot I was aiming for.

YevX
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:56 pm 

To me, most “Viking” Metal is just death metal with lyrical themes relating to Vikings. On that note, I’d like something similar to Bathory’s Viking Metal albums. Thunderous drums, not too polished of a production, No Shrieks or BM vocals, If possible.

Is there anything like that?

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:19 pm 

Falkenbach. He does harsh vocals every now and then though. Big riffs, stomping drums.

Towards the Hall of Bronzen Shields
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2QcMIJNH38

Vanadis (probably my fave, it has harsh vocals, but it's not the focus of the song)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEbnxcgw6HA

SSatanicSSatan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:12 am 

Can anyone recommend me folk metal with a Turkish or former Yugoslav/Balkan sound? I kinda like turbofolk. All the folk metal I have heard from Croatia and Serbia sounds like the Russian stuff. It does not sound like turbofolk. I have heard a little bit Anatolian rock and I think it is cool music. But I am not familiar with Turkish metal.

YesIam
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:32 pm 

sortalikeadream wrote:

Have you heard Apocalypse? It's basically a clone band writing original songs. His second album album, "Odes", is just a perfect Twilight of the Gods-clone IMO. The vocals is a bit rougher for most part, but he carries a lot of the same passion as Quorthon, and everything really reeks of viking-era Bathory here. And I truly don't mind.

Spoiler: show

His first album, "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum", was more akin to the most epic tracks of Blood Fire Death and his latest album, "Collapse", is a more brutal, thrashier album in the vein of "Requem" with some elements from "Destroyer of Words".

Apocalypse is a band that maybe touches a bit too close to its inspiration for most, but I absolutely love it. Phenomenal band.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42  Next