TomaszZamek
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:52 pm 

Maybe someone know lite band for Northgard game

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:30 am 

Kerrick wrote:
You are very welcome! I hope you enjoy. Here's a song off of their latest full-length which gives a pretty good indicator of their sound:

Keep an eye out for their upcoming album which is supposedly going to be a fair bit darker and more intense.

Long time ago but just thought it was funny that s christian band got recommended in pagan rec thread.

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:32 pm 

Hello folkies, what's the closest thing to the folkier side of classic 92/93-era Skyclad? Songs like "Spinning Jenny", "Emerald", "Thinking Allowed", "Cry Of The Land" and "Earth Mother, The Sun And The Furious Host". Powerful and well-played tunes with strong folky melodies (violin a bonus). Not too fussed about the vocals, as they were my least favourite aspect of Skyclad. I haven't followed folk-metal for years, so there may be something out there. I remember quite liking Otyg, apart from the one-dimensional drumming. Any suggestions?

YesIam
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:55 pm 

balbulus wrote:
Hello folkies, what's the closest thing to the folkier side of classic 92/93-era Skyclad? Songs like "Spinning Jenny", "Emerald", "Thinking Allowed", "Cry Of The Land" and "Earth Mother, The Sun And The Furious Host". Powerful and well-played tunes with strong folky melodies (violin a bonus). Not too fussed about the vocals, as they were my least favourite aspect of Skyclad. I haven't followed folk-metal for years, so there may be something out there. I remember quite liking Otyg, apart from the one-dimensional drumming. Any suggestions?

This is mostly likely not quite what you're looking for, but I highly recommend Grendel's Sÿster. They lean way more towards epic/traditional heavy metal and classic 70's folk rock, rather than the thrash of Skyclad, but they're easily among the best new folk metal bands around if you ask me. They just sound so incredibly classy and unique.

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:52 pm 

^ Thank you for the suggestion. You're right, they're not really what I'm looking for, but interesting nonetheless. They do actually remind me a little of Otyg, but I only really mentioned them as an aside. There's something about that Skyclad material that I've not heard elsewhere, I can't quite put my finger on it.

Thanks again though, I appreciate the effort.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:34 pm 

Isengard fans:

https://hexencave.bandcamp.com/album/taje-skal

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:52 pm 

Hi, I was looking for some raw gritty sounding pagan black metal with folk elements, kind of like the rec in the post before me but less isengardy and a bit more 2nd wave. Heavy in the paganism theme too if possible.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:18 am 

Southern Freeze wrote:
Hi, I was looking for some raw gritty sounding pagan black metal with folk elements, kind of like the rec in the post before me but less isengardy and a bit more 2nd wave. Heavy in the paganism theme too if possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Cy6vdZOkkI

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:36 pm 

Is Pagan metal even distinctly different from viking, folk, black or melodic death metal?

I've heard Viking metal like Einherjer which really can't be classified in any other way, but not Pagan metal.

Can someone give me a couple examples of some pagan metal bands which MUSICALLY, not lyrically, really sound so different from viking or folk metal that we couldn't possibly classify them under those terms?

Because otherwise, I somewhat question the legitimacy of this sub-genre.

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:10 am 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
Southern Freeze wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Cy6vdZOkkI

Cheers! This is very...very isengardy

SanctuaryCat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:49 am 

I'm looking for some songs to welcome spring. Songs about rebirth, nature, growth, life and hope. Any recommendations on these themes?

yungstirjoey666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:13 pm 

I don't know if it's already been discussed here, but I started a discussion on Reddit regarding folk metal bands that play a folk style not from their location. For example, a band from Russia playing Spanish folk metal, or a band from Tunisia playing Irish folk metal. Wondering if you guys can provide other examples?

https://www.reddit.com/r/folkmetal/comm ... olk_style/

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:57 am 

yungstirjoey666 wrote:
I don't know if it's already been discussed here, but I started a discussion on Reddit regarding folk metal bands that play a folk style not from their location. For example, a band from Russia playing Spanish folk metal, or a band from Tunisia playing Irish folk metal. Wondering if you guys can provide other examples?

https://www.reddit.com/r/folkmetal/comm ... olk_style/

I'm not on reddit, so I'll add my contributions here:

Triddana, From Argentina and play Celtic folk metal.

Mago de Oz, from Spain and play Celtic folk metal (I have the suspicion that this band is the reason there is so much Celtic folk metal from Latin America).

Not on the archives and don't know why, but BaK from Australia play progressive Middle Eastern folk metal.

yungstirjoey666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:27 pm 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:

Mago de Oz, from Spain and play Celtic folk metal (I have the suspicion that this band is the reason there is so much Celtic folk metal from Latin America).

Celts historically existed in Iberia during the final BCE centuries, though they were eventually conquered by the Romans. It was such a long time ago, so it's kind of a gray area.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:13 pm 

I recently stumbled upon Warna who has an album coming out next month. They sound very good IMO. As a general recommendation, check 'em out!
https://www.facebook.com/warna.metalband/

Spoiler: show

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:10 am 

Any other bands similar to Arkona and Dalriada? As in folk metal bands with female singers?

Hellbeast11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:22 am 

Festivus wrote:
Any other bands similar to Arkona and Dalriada? As in folk metal bands with female singers?

Alkonost, Natural Spirit, Evenoire

sjal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:08 pm 

Hello.
Maybe someone knows any metal albums/songs where vocalists (preferably only female vocalists, but songs where there are both female and male vocalists also fit) sing in Lithuanian in a way that is (close to) polyphonic singing on "sutartinės", i.e. where there are several vocalists, especially songs where there are more than two vocalists (i.e. songs with three singers who sing in strict canon, or songs with two pairs of singers (and each pair sings lead and additional (refrain) vocal lines), etc.)?
If there are any metal albums that have non-metal parts/songs with this kind of singing (also with female vocals and in Lithuanian), they also fit.
I would be very grateful for any help.

Examples of the singing on non-metal songs:
https://dangus-pro.bandcamp.com/track/d-no-up
https://dangus-pro.bandcamp.com/track/rimo-rimo-t-ta
https://dangus-pro.bandcamp.com/track/jau-rytelia-i-ta
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS3AmuC ... D&index=13

Edit: There's also a band Aistvara who has a metal/rock EP, but unfortunately the style of their music is a bit too "modern" for me.
I will just post examples of this kind of singing (but at a bit faster tempos, - I like it too, although I like it the most when these types of songs are sung more slowly) by Aistvara from some live non-metal performance/festival (but it seems most of the singers from there are not in the line-up of the current metal band):

TikrasTamsusNaktis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:32 am 

Have you listened to He Lela or Zpoan Vtenz? Both older Lithuanian bands from the 90s. Unfortunately no actual sutartinės but it is rather similar in feeling. I personally love sutartinės and I would be just as interested to hear lithuanian bands incorporating that singing style. But I also feel like its a very ethno-centric appeal. If you can't understand the words or you are not Lithuanian(I am) it would be harder to enjoy as it is a very un conventional(to weatern ears) sound.

Maybe also Žalvarinis would be interesting to you although its more rock than metal. Excellent examples you have shown though. Kūlgrinda is not just casual music to me. Its more spiritual than anything. I'm glad to see someone else showing appreciation.

Altoriu šešeliai is also an excellent lithuanian folk black band that had a perfect rustic rural vibe to them.

sjal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 5:14 pm 

TikrasTamsusNaktis, thank you very much for your message and for the recommendations.
And I'm very sorry that I couldn't reply earlier.

Kūlgrinda is great, I am very glad for you and for Lithuania in general that you have such an amazing band. Yes, I read about them and how much the founders of the band contributed to discovering/exploration and keeping of history and folklore+traditions of Lithuania. And I think it's also good and important that the band's founders always involved younger people - and that many young people take part in the recordings and live performances of these songs.
I found out about Kūlgrinda thanks to Dangus label and this compilation - https://dangus-pro.bandcamp.com/album/m ... is-rinktin . I only have the "Ugnies Apeigos" album, but I also want to get some of their other albums, and, hopefully, to find some of the albums in physical format. "Ugnies Apeigos" is an amazing album, I love all the singing (sutartinės are favorite, but I also love other kinds of singing) and the music, as well as the overall atmosphere and concept of the album.

Unfortunately, I don't know Lithuanian, but there is information about meanings of the songs and also English translations of the songs in the album's booklet, and it's interesting to explore it.
I've also found English translations of a few other sutartinės (including those songs from the examples - from live performance by Aistvara).
I understand that it doesn't even come close to that unique listening experience and feeling when you are a Lithuanian, know the language, and when you are a native speaker (and when, most likely, you listened to these songs in early childhood).
But I really enjoy these songs - both the styles of singing and the sound of the language, and I also find singing of sutartinės very emotional.
I'm from Ukraine, and even if Lithuanian and Ukrainian languages don't have much in common, I've found that it's relatively easy for me to perceive sounds of singing in Lithuanian and to memorize (as well as to pronounce) the words of songs solely by the sounds of the words - especially if songs have repeating words/lines and are not too complex/fast/long.
But there are also certain sutartinės that are very interesting to listen to but that are more difficult to pronounce/to sing along for me - like the song "Skranc bitela", for example.
I hope you, as a Lithuanian, do not mind that someone from Ukraine listens to sutartinės and sometimes even tries to sing along these songs.

I also like all the singing on the album "Žalio Vario" by Žalvarinis that I've checked out, but the style of their music on the album, as on the rock/metal EP by Aistvara, is also a bit too unusual for me. I will try to listen to other albums by Žalvarinis.
I've also found out that there is the album "Žalvarinis" (by Ugnėlakis su Kūlgrinda), and the music on most of the songs there is slower, less "modern"/progressive and closer to what I usually listen to in folk-related music/subgenres, and I enjoy all the singing on the album as well.

I've also checked out "Pabudimas" by Ha Lela, and it's also an interesting album, and the music in general sounds like a style I can get into. And I love the singing of the female vocalist. The male vocals are also good.
I heard the song "Siratėlis" that was on that compilation from Dangus label, and I liked it, but I did not know that there are metal albums where there are a few songs with Vilma Čiplytė because I've only just started to explore bands from the compilation in more detail.
It's sad and tragic that the vocalist died.
I've also listened to the album "Gimę Nugalėt" by Zpoan Vtenz. The vocal performance by the female vocalist on this album is especially beautiful and very emotional. I love the singing and the music on the non-metal songs/parts on the album, these songs are some of the saddest ones I have ever heard. I also like the style of metal songs on the album, and the male vocals on the second part of "Pavirtys unt ąžuolų" are also very emotional. I hope I will find and get the CD.

And I haven't checked out Altorių Šešėliai yet, but the sub-genre of music and your description look very much in the direction that I can get into and enjoy, and a rural vibe is a plus. I will look for an album by this artist too.

Thanks again so much for your help, I will continue to discover and to explore Lithuanian artists and bands, both metal and non-metal.

poormouth100
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:13 am 

looking for music in this style that sounds like hammerheart/the more epic manowar songs like bridge of death, blood of my enemies, etc. i've heard bands like doomsword, moonsorrow and scald already. it can be any blend of folk/pagan/viking metal but i'm specifically searching for something that has that mighty, huge sounding riffage.

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:47 am 

Early Ereb Altor is pure mid-tempo Viking-era Bathory worship. Check their first album.

poormouth100
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:31 am 

coupdebleus wrote:
Early Ereb Altor is pure mid-tempo Viking-era Bathory worship. Check their first album.

i've heard of them but never listened, will check 'em out!

Spiderlix
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:46 pm 

Hi guys.I only listened some Skyclad discography (Not everything) and all Bathory viking era.I listened some Burzum too.But you know the most essential pagan,viking and folk artists,excepting these already mentioned artists?Or some of them are nazi like Nokturnal Mortum and Burzum (Besides Burzum topics aren't nazi,Varg considers himself one)?

sjal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:45 am 

^
I don't know about "essential", but there was an interesting thread on MA where people shared and discussed their favorite folk(-inspired/influenced) metal styles/bands - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=130204 Maybe you'll find it interesting/informative to explore too.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42