Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
derilictor
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:02 am 

The new Rotting Christ album is a hint at what I’m looking for. “Litourgiya” by Batushka is possibly an even better example. It can also be found in parts of “Nattestid ser porten vid” by Taake and “Arntor” by Windir. Perhaps something like the Nordland albums by Bathory but with some faster more Blind Guardian-esque elements. I’m also a fan of epic/symphonic/cinematic music producers like Immediate Music, Two Steps from Hell, and E.S. Posthumus.

TheUnhinged
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:56 pm 

On the off-chance you aren't already familiar with Ulver's Bergtatt album, the clean vocals on that album are very ethereal and chant-like.

Youtube: show

If you are willing to dip into some symphonic sounding doom, Virgin Black's Mezzo Forte features very operatic and choral vocals.

Youtube: show

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:50 am 

I second Virgin Black.

Also check out Epta Astera and Hesychast.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:17 am 

French Amphitryon fits the description, as well as Orphaned Land, I guess.

sperma_draconis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:33 pm 

An artist that alternates between cinematic and operatic and touches on metal that most have never heard is the band MELTED SPACE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzQ_1PmFi44
A very strange group but one I think should get a lot more attention than it does.

I personally dont like Batushka. I think their idea is a gimyck until they can prove to me that their chant lyrics are not just simply standard orthodox chant over metal praising god... or doing it ironically. I also think they might be trying to avoid being too theatrical and that is kind of pointless do when youre going for a full choir.

You did not specify are you looking for specifically black metal with chant music? Cause that is harder to find. Have you tried the new Dimmu Borgir? Eonian? I know a lot of people like to shit on Dimmu for their popularity but Eonian focused really heavily on the choir in its work and that band was a big essential to black metal back in its day.

Satyricon also released a live album with a choir so you should try that out too.

If youre open to more than just black metal bands, there is of course Therion... they kind of started that idea of operatic extreme metal. A good album for them would be "Vovin" or "A'arab Zaraq" which features a theatrical film score

sperma_draconis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:38 pm 

Kerrick wrote:
I second Virgin Black.

See THIS is why I dont like Batushka! Now thanks to them were going to have a huge influx of christian white-BM bands doing the whole Orthodoxy thing and polluting the scene with their religious shite.

ambientsorrow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:48 pm 

sperma_draconis wrote:
Kerrick wrote:
I second Virgin Black.

See THIS is why I dont like Batushka! Now thanks to them were going to have a huge influx of christian white-BM bands doing the whole Orthodoxy thing and polluting the scene with their religious shite.

Just ignore them. Easy done.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:50 pm 

^But that'd be too easy!

Also, both Epta Astera and Hesychast were doing their thing looong before Batushka. I have demo songs from Hesychast from 2011 and Epta Astera's first album came out in 2008. According to this site, Batushka didn't even form until 2015.

Reply to topic