Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:27 am 

While I'm not too sure about the whole 10 min epic part, newer bands like Virvum, Virulent Depravit, First Fragment, Schoenberg Automaton, Veil of P'nath etc. play proggy tech death more or less with extended sections of instrumental wizardry. Let me know if any of these bands is what you're looking for.

MJS71
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:23 pm 

Yes, I have listened to all of those guys except Schoenberg Automaton, which I will definitely check out. Thanks for the recommendations, but I'm definitely going to keep hunting down those long epics!

Edit: 5 minutes after this post, and I just started the album "Apus" on Youtube. It is pretty awesome!

MJS71
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:01 pm 

Ok, for anyone else who may be interested in prog/tech death, I just discovered Ingurgitating Oblivion, whose third album just dropped yesterday. It is amazing! My search has been fulfilled! Also, I got further into the Schoenberg Automaton album and discovered that I did not really like it. It got sort of boring and repetitive.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:12 pm 

How about Inferi, Spawn of Possession, Atrocity, Inanimate Existence, Dissonance in Design, Decrepit Birth? I'm guessing you've heard most of these but just throwing it out there. Also found IO recently, solid stuff. Check out the worthwhile albums & most anticipated albums threads, plenty of new tech death to go around.

MJS71
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:22 pm 

I have heard of those bands, but haven't listened to all of them. I am definitely going to find time to listen to some of those more. I am a big Spawn of Possession fan and I like some of Inanimate Existence's stuff. I will check out some of those other bands when I get the time. Thanks again!

celldweller
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:54 am 

Hi. I think I'd like some of this. A lot of music I've been listening to at present is technical and syncopated.

I find progressive metal is often used to describe one of three things.

1) Dream Theater/Queensryche/Fates Warning -- I am not looking for anything like this.

2) Weird on purpose stuff, like "Whoa, here's some metal with lyrics that don't rhyme, and heyyyy check out this accordion that we threw into the middle of this song! Pretty weird huh?"

3) Metal that's really disjointed and technical.

I am mostly looking for #3 type stuff, preferably without keyboards.

I love bitchin' guitar solos, and while I'm not against harsh vocals (prefer clean), they have to be really good for me to listen for extended lengths.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:22 pm 

celldweller wrote:
3) Metal that's really disjointed and technical.

Examples of bands/songs that sounds like what you are looking for would help narrowing it down.

celldweller
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:02 am 

Alright. I have the three following songs in a playlist, and I kind of play them through again and again. They're not all in the same genre, but there's a kind of noisy chaos they all share (without going too overboard).

These first two are punk.

This third one kind of sums up what I'm looking for musically, at least in the first 90 seconds or so. If you're seeing the band name and recoiling in horror, know that as far as using the song to show what I mean, one need only listen to 0:25 - 0:52 to understand.

I wish I had better examples. One might look at these three and think "Friend, what you need is The Dillinger Escape Plan!", which I have already listened to. And like I said in my post before this one, I'm looking something more metal.

MJS71
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:05 pm 

You need some tech death stuff probably. Maybe Atheist? Gorguts?

celldweller
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:32 pm 

MJS71 wrote:
You need some tech death stuff probably. Maybe Atheist? Gorguts?

Well, I don't know that I'm looking for death metal. I like Extol and the first Arsis record as far as tech death go, but I wouldn't say either has the disjointed feel I'm looking for. I'm looking for some syncopation, not just technicality.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:29 am 

Try these:
Fronterier
Coma Cluster Void
Car Bomb
Gigan
Psyopus
Pyrrhon

Mostly dissonant, jagged tech death with some mathcore thrown in. Is this what you're looking for?

celldweller
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:03 pm 

IamDBR wrote:
Try these:
Fronterier
Coma Cluster Void
Car Bomb
Gigan
Psyopus
Pyrrhon

Mostly dissonant, jagged tech death with some mathcore thrown in. Is this what you're looking for?

So I went through these one by one, and they are all pretty challenging to listen to. I wound up liking Car Bomb (I think. The album (Meta) is still playing). Coma Cluster Void came close, the rest either were a little too without direction, or the vocals killed it for me. I'm pretty picky about harsh vocals, and I almost always hate real low gutteral stuff. I prefer more normal sounding to shrill types. Having said all this, thanks for Car Bomb. It'll prove a manageable challenge to listen to, and it's a fun name to say.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 4:56 pm 

How about Behold the Arctopus?

Blotted Science?

celldweller
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 5:17 pm 

Behold the Arctopus -- I knew who these guys were before I came here, and they're a joke. No offense. If a number of the above bands were too much for me, I'm not sure why you'd recommend these guys. The three songs I initially posted all have some kind of disjointedness to them, but I can still remember them when I stop listening.

Blotted Science -- Pressed play on the Youtube you posted, and that was a pretty bitchin' opener. I will listen more and respond later. EDIT -- Oh, they're instrumental. Hope they're able to change things up enough to be interesting. Eliminates vocal concerns I guess.

Still really liking Car Bomb. The harsh vocals aren't gutteral, songs have just enough structure that I can identify their various parts, but there's still a technical, stop-start nature to much of it as well. Clean vocals sprinkled into various places. It seems like this band could do whatever they like, and it would be natural, and still sound like them. Not to say I'm humming their songs yet or anything, it's still a challenging listen, but one I understand more of the more I hear.

RNG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 6:51 pm 

Listen to Unexpect. Maybe The Faceless, BTBAM, and Native Construct, but Unexpect are the only band that does disjointed right for me.

agent_fist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:44 pm 

I've been binging Nevemore's middle-late albums and Communic's debut. Does anybody else come close to this sound? Intricate, bottom-heavy riffs, sinister melodic vocals, a strong sense of dramatic storytelling. I also enjoy the extreme metal influences and the long, intricate songs.

I'm familiar with Mercenary but they're a touch more heartfelt than I'm looking for right now. Thanks!

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:39 pm 

I'm looking for some non cheesy prog metal bands, the ones on a bit darkly trail...any leads?

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:07 pm 

Any examples of bands in this vein that you like? That's a pretty vague description.

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

Fromage_Qui_Pue
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:29 am 

For people interested in Voivod-like bands (in their progressive period), there is Thought Industry with a bit more Thrash riffs. Pretty interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf14wg__Rxs

Amber Gray
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:22 am 

what's some of the most Ved Buens Ende-y stuff out there? Thing is, I listen to a lot of avant-garde metal and all the usual prog metal subjects that come up alongside VBE, but their music is just a beast all of its own. So I'm not expecting stuff that replicates their style completely, but stuff that comes closer than your Sighs and what have you. VBE's guitar chops are untouchable though.

The most applicable choices I can think of right now are Omnio by In the Woods, which I love, and Virus, which I've listened to before passively but didn't get too immersed, though I'd give th another shot if I should. Fleurety is probably a good choice too, and I seriously love that.

[New release] Noosefiller - Noosefilller (Technical/Progressive Black Metal)
Q'uq'umatz (Avant-garde/progressive metal/psychedelic/noise rock)

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:11 pm 

Amber Gray wrote:
what's some of the most Ved Buens Ende-y stuff out there? Thing is, I listen to a lot of avant-garde metal and all the usual prog metal subjects that come up alongside VBE, but their music is just a beast all of its own. So I'm not expecting stuff that replicates their style completely, but stuff that comes closer than your Sighs and what have you. VBE's guitar chops are untouchable though.

The most applicable choices I can think of right now are Omnio by In the Woods, which I love, and Virus, which I've listened to before passively but didn't get too immersed, though I'd give th another shot if I should. Fleurety is probably a good choice too, and I seriously love that.

I somewhat recently purchased Gire's album and play it pretty regularly. It's fantastic.

If you like In The Woods... you might like Drawn. Their album A New World? is pretty decent.

You might also like Santifica's second album. (Their first album is more Emperor-style black metal and nothing like Negative B.)

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:25 am 

agent_fist wrote:
I've been binging Nevemore's middle-late albums and Communic's debut. Does anybody else come close to this sound? Intricate, bottom-heavy riffs, sinister melodic vocals, a strong sense of dramatic storytelling. I also enjoy the extreme metal influences and the long, intricate songs.

I'm familiar with Mercenary but they're a touch more heartfelt than I'm looking for right now. Thanks!

Hmm, Evergrey's fantastic 'In Search of Truth' might meet your requirements. At least at times.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:24 am 

Interested in songs/albums that sound similar to the Dream Theater song "Space-Dye Vest" seeing as how it is the only song Dream Theater have themselves that sounds like that. It is so unlike them and it is so good. Subtle yet engaging and very Pink Floydian with its movements. But also a slight King Crimson like grace. Very traditional prog rock format but with enough heaviness to remove it from that era.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:44 pm 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
Interested in songs/albums that sound similar to the Dream Theater song "Space-Dye Vest" seeing as how it is the only song Dream Theater have themselves that sounds like that. It is so unlike them and it is so good. Subtle yet engaging and very Pink Floydian with its movements. But also a slight King Crimson like grace. Very traditional prog rock format but with enough heaviness to remove it from that era.

This may not be a great recommendation but maybe Superior - "Why?"

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:22 am 

Not quite as good. Space Dye-Vest is very subtle and this doesn't hit me the same way. I get a strong X Japan vibe from this instead.

ab12
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:10 pm 

I'm kinda odd I guess when it comes to prog, but does anyone know bands in the vein of Tool? I haven't explored prog stuff really, I've listened to all the new djent prog stuff like AAL, Chon, Polyphia etc. and it's all cool, but nothing really reminds me of Tool, just wondering if there was anything similar to them.

Azrael44
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:34 pm 

Im looking for something unusual, as progressive as it can get. Ive been listening to Obscura, Necrophagist, Gorguts, BTBAM, Cynic, Dream Theater etc. but I cant find anything that would be Progressive and technical enough for me. Im looking for something more complex than the bands I mentioned

Last edited by Azrael44 on Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:16 pm 

Azrael44 wrote:
Im looking for something unusual, as progressive as it can get. Ive been listening to Obscura, Negrophagist, Gorguts, BTBAM, Cynic, Dream Theater etc. but I cant find anything that would be Progressive and technical enough for me. Im looking for something more complex than the bands I mentioned

Try these:

Planet X, Meshuggah, Spastic Ink (Second album), Blotted Science, maybe Necrophagist, maybe Spiral Architect

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:59 pm 

ab12 wrote:
I'm kinda odd I guess when it comes to prog, but does anyone know bands in the vein of Tool? I haven't explored prog stuff really, I've listened to all the new djent prog stuff like AAL, Chon, Polyphia etc. and it's all cool, but nothing really reminds me of Tool, just wondering if there was anything similar to them.

If you don't mind the other 50% of their sound being very Opeth, Soen definitely qualify as a Tool soundalike at times. They've gotten sort of big so you very well may already know them.
https://soen-sweden.bandcamp.com/album/lykaia

Azrael44 wrote:
Im looking for something unusual, as progressive as it can get. Ive been listening to Obscura, Necrophagist, Gorguts, BTBAM, Cynic, Dream Theater etc. but I cant find anything that would be Progressive and technical enough for me. Im looking for something more complex than the bands I mentioned

Well, there's always Scholomance, but uh good luck; they're a bit of an acquired taste. I just have a soft spot for all those weird early The End Records bands.
https://jimmypitts.bandcamp.com/album/t ... ity-murder

RNG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:27 am 

Azrael44 wrote:

Lye By Mistake - Fea Jur
The Fractured Dimension - Towards the Mysterium
Unexpect - Fables of the Sleepless Empire
Cleric - Retrocausal
Gonin-Ish - Naishikyo Sekai
Journal - Unlorja
Psyopus - Ideas of Reference
Amogh Symphony - Vectorscan
Discus - Tot Licht!
Q'uq'umatz - Tepeu
Pryapisme - Diabolicus felinae pandemonium

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:18 pm 

Is there a band like Dream Theater but with a good singer and keys non-existent or in a purely supporting role ala late 70's Rush? No key solos or such stuff.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:30 pm 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
Is there a band like Dream Theater but with a good singer and keys non-existent or in a purely supporting role ala late 70's Rush? No key solos or such stuff.

Spiral Architect's demo?
Fates Warning - Perfect Symmetry?
Power of Omens - Eyes of the Oracle?
Toxik - Think This?
Twisted into Form - Then Comes Affliction to Awaken the Dreamer?
Psychotic Waltz - A Social Grace?
later Mekong Delta?
Helstar - Nosferatu?
Antithesis - s/t?

MikeCryptodira
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 10:14 pm 

Cryptodira - The Devil's Despair (Post Metal, Progressive Death Metal)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PJnM6DwVmI

Rolo Tomassi - Time Will Die & Love Will Bury It (Progressive Metal / mathy)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhcF-3wBlEw

xenon8247
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:48 pm 

levasty wrote:
I'll start I'm looking for some Progressive metal band that have harsh vocal and uses High-Tempo, also If the sound is very intricate then kudos for you.

Shit, where do I start? lmao
I'm gonna post everything in the form of spotify playlists bc its the easiest way and you should follow them so I can feel better about myself
https://open.spotify.com/user/xenon82/playlist/0oNqt3irfXpAWhzxNeXrGS?si=N874EbgoSAqPRQLgzO3pqw
https://open.spotify.com/user/xenon82/playlist/42Ydmv1Ez4rhTOA95rofFX?si=VqWYfXGDTKypvswFd9TP4Q
https://open.spotify.com/user/xenon82/playlist/64dTmtwEdBI2pmdEObSifI?si=PGqhF4LATym-SbW3bsX3cg
https://open.spotify.com/user/xenon82/playlist/5EtTmlfuibp7etIiS6bZux?si=Xvn9InbgTH21DWx3SkiKeg
https://open.spotify.com/user/xenon82/playlist/4Jt68A59DuNTPPEXq1gT0k?si=cBfGO9KCQdaeG6XC2JZZ4g
https://open.spotify.com/user/xenon82/playlist/5WZTCgS5TOwwnyGarcq2c4?si=dE8RdhV8TMqY73wj0ywroQ
https://open.spotify.com/user/xenon82/playlist/5NE6lajNaLv5f8vy9PPzr9?si=8HybzixFSKuDpKPApUa1AQ

Happy hunting!

TheMeh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:38 pm 

Alright, I'm just gonna throw this up, since... what the hell, I could use new music. I probably like progressive metal more than most genres of metal, so learning about new stuff is always welcomed in my eyes.

So far, my tops with the genre have been Ayreon (anything Arjen makes is pretty much good... most the time), and Devin Townsend (...same), among a few others, but I could definitely go for some heavier groups, and some hard hitting stuff, like Ne Obliviscaris, and so on. Anyone got any suggestions?

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:49 am 

Bit of a different request, but I need a couple bands that use 7 string guitars that I can jam to? (stuff like Between The Buried And Me).

Cudnoredje
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:57 pm 

2 blacklisted, 3 whitelisted and one never submitted band if you prefer trip into the unknown and experiencing musical adventure above memorability and catchiness:

Lye By Mistake - "Arrangements for Fulminating Vective" (mostly polyrhythmic mathcore/tech metal madness, but contains jazz/fusion and some melodic moments)

The Crinn - "Dreaming Saturn" (dissonant, creepy, but sophisticated mathcore/jazz metal epilepsy)

Ephel Duath - "Painters Pallete" & "Pain Necessary To Know" (jazz metal on acid)

Dawn Of Dementia - "Immolation of Avernis" (tech/prog death, amazing bass player, similar to Beyond Creation, but even more technical and insane)

Psyopus - "Odd Senses" (pretty unique conceptual mathcore album, movie atmosphere, one hour of insane horror musical)

Between the Buried and Me - "Colors" (the most flawless prog metal masterpieces ever made... an amazing mix of mathcore, death metal, black metal, jazz, prog rock...and the list goes on...they even have some country and cabaret parts...melody, dissonance...they have everything)

Virulent Depravity (one of the most non-generic and inimitable tech death metal ever made...probably even more technical than Spawn Of Possession...amazing guitarwork, the album sounds pretty much like a neverending solo, lots of notes and kind of jazzy harmonics...also including some keyboard parts)

Paka01
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:49 am 

Are there any good new, young metal bands (formed in the past 7-8 years) that play classic prog metal? Something in the vein of Dream Theater, Symphony X, Shadow Gallery, Pain of Salvation, etc... So nothing with death growls and harsh vocals, nothing rooted in djent, metalcore or similar.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:59 pm 

Paka01 wrote:
Are there any good new, young metal bands (formed in the past 7-8 years) that play classic prog metal? Something in the vein of Dream Theater, Symphony X, Shadow Gallery, Pain of Salvation, etc... So nothing with death growls and harsh vocals, nothing rooted in djent, metalcore or similar.

There was a young band (IIRC called Summoning or something like that) that opened for Sons of Apollo on tour that would fit that bill.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:48 pm 

Days of Ashes. Huge Pain of Salvation fans, by the sound of it.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next