Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
mikaelhkrist
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:09 am 

secretninja wrote:
anything thats a balance of melodic and brutal. please.
im sure you've heard of into eternity. They are both brutal and melodic. And stu block is a metal mastermind.

The_Orphanizer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:21 am 

Apathys_Requiem wrote:
I'm looking for something in the vein of new cynic, its hard to explain but I love the almost new age atmosphere, jazz influence is not a must.

I haven't heard anything quite like Traced in Air, to be honest, but you might want to try Aghora's debut.

Bryce288
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:40 pm 

Could anyone recommend something like between the buried and me or becoming the archetype

Krafty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:02 pm 

Bryce288 wrote:
Could anyone recommend something like between the buried and me or becoming the archetype

If you can get past the vocals (which I love), give Protest the Hero's latest a shot.

An album that has several albums contained in it?! holy cow thats awesome.

newcultqueen
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:51 pm 

I didnt know if i should put this request in death or progressive but... i really like Misanthrope's music, like the instrumental part and stuff, but the guy's voice is fucking annoying and gay. Does anyone know of a good band that sounds like Misanthrope (cds like Libertine Humiliations/Misanthrope Immortel/Misanthro-Therapie) minus the weird French vocals? Thanks!

PeachPit
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:04 pm 

newcultqueen wrote:
I didnt know if i should put this request in death or progressive but... i really like Misanthrope's music, like the instrumental part and stuff, but the guy's voice is fucking annoying and gay. Does anyone know of a good band that sounds like Misanthrope (cds like Libertine Humiliations/Misanthrope Immortel/Misanthro-Therapie) minus the weird French vocals? Thanks!

Check out Control Denied's The Fragile Art of Existence, but it uses more frequent cleans instead of a more Misanthrope-y growl.

The one you should really look into is Imperanon's stained, a really good album with proggy, catchy guitars and a melo-death growl on vocals.

yogibear
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:27 pm 

Apathys_Requiem wrote:
I'm looking for something in the vein of new cynic, its hard to explain but I love the almost new age atmosphere, jazz influence is not a must.
gordian knot- emergent and s/t are both sort of like this. they mix progressive stuff with some very nice guest musician featured bits. Gordian knot is the band started by the bassist of Cynic.

newcultqueen
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:30 pm 

PeachPit wrote:
newcultqueen wrote:

Check out Control Denied's The Fragile Art of Existence, but it uses more frequent cleans instead of a more Misanthrope-y growl.

The one you should really look into is Imperanon's stained, a really good album with proggy, catchy guitars and a melo-death growl on vocals.

LOVE Imperanon already i really really like their album.
Haha, thanks for the suggestion but i'm just not digging the vocals for Control Denied either.

angelmk
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:53 pm 

anyone into Agalloch here? i love this band, supreme music, Cult of Luna,Pelican.,Opeth .. Riverside, Pain of salvation, October falls.. all great bands

cahuich
Chemical Sexican

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:28 pm 

Apathys_Requiem wrote:

You should try Cronian, not exactly like Cynic but is the closest band I can think of

DevilishTerror85
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:41 pm 

Any Prog metal band with black metal styled (shrieks/rasps) vocals?

I've already tried out Akercocke and Ikuinen Kaamos, and to be honest I was pretty disappointed with the vocals.

PeachPit
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:55 pm 

DevilishTerror85 wrote:

I've already tried out Akercocke and Ikuinen Kaamos, and to be honest I was pretty disappointed with the vocals.

There is this Melodic Black/Progressive band with some shriek-ier vocals called Lingua Mortua that you could try out. They also mix some cleans and some odd backing operatics in there, but it's a pretty good listening experience, although not my particular favourite brand of progressive.

http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=77994

I don't really know of any other bands that do this :\

angelmk
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:58 pm 

DevilishTerror85 wrote:

try Secrets of the moon, they are great. Kathaarsys - awesome band.. ; Wolves In the Throne Room ; Cobalt, Negura Bunget(well not shrieks but band is superb) , Fen, Ensalved, Woods of Ypress, Borknagar, Deathspell omega

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:38 pm 

DevilishTerror85 wrote:

Check out Im Nebel, from Georgia (the country, not the state. Yeah...where the fuck is it anyway?)

DevilishTerror85
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:59 am 

PeachPit wrote:
DevilishTerror85 wrote:

There is this Melodic Black/Progressive band with some shriek-ier vocals called Lingua Mortua that you could try out. They also mix some cleans and some odd backing operatics in there, but it's a pretty good listening experience, although not my particular favourite brand of progressive.

http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=77994

I don't really know of any other bands that do this :\

Thanks mate! Checked them out and liked them. Thats exactly the kind of band that I was looking out for :)

@ others
Thanks for the recommendations, checking them out one at a time. :)

DevilishTerror85
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:45 pm 

angelmk wrote:
DevilishTerror85 wrote:

try Secrets of the moon, they are great. Kathaarsys - awesome band.. ; Wolves In the Throne Room ; Cobalt, Negura Bunget(well not shrieks but band is superb) , Fen, Ensalved, Woods of Ypress, Borknagar, Deathspell omega

Loved Kathaarsys! What a band! Just what I wanted!! Perfect mixture of black and prog! Will check out Secrets of the Moon tomorrow. Have already heard the other bands that you've mentioned. Thanks a ton for the recommendations :)

angelmk
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:09 am 

guys , what do you think of new Isis? IMO album is good, not a masterpiece, it has some very good moments hand of the host,20 minutes 40, ghost key ,i like it

Mawen
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:09 pm 

angelmk wrote:
guys , what do you think of new Isis? IMO album is good, not a masterpiece, it has some very good moments hand of the host,20 minutes 40, ghost key ,i like it

I think that is awesome, definitely in my top 10 of this year

plasticpope
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:34 pm 

probably the best prog band with harsh vocals is opeth, a lot of bands that could be concidered harsh and prog may just teeter on prog and are generally just technical, like necrophagist or death, suffocation and nile also fit into that catagory... but the best straight out prog metal band is Dream Theater

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:45 pm 

Since when have Isis been considered progressive metal? Odd.

saintinhell
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:11 am 

plasticpope wrote:
probably the best prog band with harsh vocals is opeth,

Um...Atheist? Opeth is a good place to start for prog with harsh vocals though, especially if you are a Camel fan.

angelmk
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:16 pm 

Perplexed_Sjel wrote:

what do you consider Isis to be, if not prog metal?

c6ss6t6
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:51 pm 

looking for something in the vain of redemption, pain of salvation, riverside, latterday fates warning. dark depressing, intospective lyrics with killer music.

any ideas? not looking for dream theater or symphony x

PeachPit
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:27 pm 

c6ss6t6 wrote:
looking for something in the vain of redemption, pain of salvation, riverside, latterday fates warning. dark depressing, intospective lyrics with killer music.

You might want to check out Scariot's Momentum Shift, I found it to be a really solid album with some really tight musicianship.

Bobby_Typhoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:46 am 

I'm looking for something similiar to Dream Theater's Train of Thought and Systematic Chaos. That darker, heavier sound is awesome. Thanks for any help.

LoDebar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:16 am 

angelmk wrote:
Perplexed_Sjel wrote:

Sludge metal, dude.

c6ss6t6 wrote:

Spheric Universe Experience, Circus Maximus (Nor) and Zero Hour (US) will fit your bill. Also check out OSI, since practically the whole Fates Warning from 1997-2000 are in it.
For something more Pain of Salvation-like, check out Wastefall.

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:19 pm 

LoDebar wrote:
angelmk wrote:
Perplexed_Sjel wrote:

Sludge metal, dude.

This. :)

I'm wondering where to start with Beyond Twilight ... 'The Devil's Hall of Fame' or 'Section X'? Given the recent praise that has been heaped on Outworld on this site of late, I've decided to listen to Beyond Twilight, who seem to be neglected, though they do have some really positive feedback on here.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:20 pm 

BT is not by any means neglected around here.

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:40 pm 

I don't think I've ever seen them mentioned, but that's good to hear! :)

MetalFRO
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:51 pm 

Bezerko wrote:
Hmm, I might ask a question here myself.

Basically, I've always hated prog metal, it's just turned me off whenever I'd heard it. With my recent interest in power metal, I'm looking for some "gateway" bands that could introduce me to the genre. I know people seem to mention a number of bands all the time, but even these "popular" bands in the genre often have a huge amount of releases, and the wrong choice could put me off forever! I'm willing to give the genre a try though, so here we go...

Not quite sure if this is what you're looking for, but Menahem from Brazil is an excellent band that sits squarely in between Dream Theater and Symphony X stylistlically. They have Symphony X styled guitars and there's some resemblance between their vocalist and Russel Allen, but they have some odd time signature stuff and drum pyrotechnics (not on the Portnoy level, but I assume that's not what you're after). They have some faster songs that are somewhat power metal in style, but are also quite progressive in the traditional time signature/off-kilter sense. Their 2008 debut CD has quickly become one of my favorite albums of the current decade.

PeachPit
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:13 pm 

Perplexed_Sjel wrote:
LoDebar wrote:
angelmk wrote:
I'm wondering where to start with Beyond Twilight ... 'The Devil's Hall of Fame' or 'Section X'? Given the recent praise that has been heaped on Outworld on this site of late, I've decided to listen to Beyond Twilight, who seem to be neglected, though they do have some really positive feedback on here.

Lande kicked heaping amounts of ass on The Devil's Hall of Fame, but if you are transitioning from Outworld, you should probably start with Section X. I think Carpenter gives a better performance than he does on Outworld's S/T, and I think you might feel a little more at home here.
If you dig that sound, do not hesitate to get The Devil's Hall of Fame either! Both are phenomenally crushing albums either way.

Beyond Twilight are too amazing to be mentioned, clearly!

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:35 pm 

Wasn't sure if this would go here or the black metal thread, but I've been really really enjoying Sigh lately. Anything else I should check out?

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:45 pm 

AppleQueso wrote:
Wasn't sure if this would go here or the black metal thread, but I've been really really enjoying Sigh lately. Anything else I should check out?

I'd imagine that would belong in the black metal thread.

VaeFUCKINGVictus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:46 am 

I'm kinda new to prog metal, but I'm mainly looking for a band with an epic, uplifting, even heavy atmosphere that makes you wanna sing along, but not cheesy to the point of power metal. I don't really have any examples of it, unfortunately...

'extreme' instrumentalization is a plus. That meaning in the vein of death metal/black metal level of extreme playing. As mentioned, not needed.

slavonic777
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:48 pm 

VaeFUCKINGVictus wrote:
I'm kinda new to prog metal, but I'm mainly looking for a band with an epic, uplifting, even heavy atmosphere that makes you wanna sing along, but not cheesy to the point of power metal. I don't really have any examples of it, unfortunately...

'extreme' instrumentalization is a plus. That meaning in the vein of death metal/black metal level of extreme playing. As mentioned, not needed.

Maybe Dol ammad, Kalisia... maybe...

TH322
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:37 am 

I really love Tool, and they're classified as prog metal. They may be a bit closer to jazz metal though. Very good, talented band. Don't really fit into any other genres than this, so this is where I always categorize them.

obZen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:47 pm 

I'm too lazy to name all the bands I like. And much to my own chagrin regarding my helplessness, I will just name Pain of Salvation. Tired right now to rack my brain for much other than PoS.

I am looking for something that isn't obvious. New or old, doesn't matter. Although if it's anything at all to do with how PoS sound, I would assume that newer bands would be more relevant.

Things I don't want:
-pointless instrumental interludes, long or short. I hate when they're just there in attempts to make the album feel more complete. These either drag on and/or are pointless
-Little to no variability between the songs in the album
-Pansy ass power progressive. I like fairly ballsy prog. But I also like Pain of Salvation, which aren't 100% ballsy, but still pretty damn ballsy. When I say pansy ass, I'm trying to avoid cheese. I'm trying to avoid falsettos. Having said this, I love Symphony X as well.
-This is rather redundant since I already said I don't want the absence of variability between the songs on the album. Well, I am saying it again. I'd like the songs to speak to me by being unique and memorable.

Maybe I came off as a douche. I apologize. Just recommend me some prog that's not obvious and doesn't suck cheese with memorable, yet non-cheesy riffs.

PriestofSadWings
Bishop of Dark Spaces

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:07 pm 

VaeFUCKINGVictus wrote:

I'm going to recommend Pagan's Mind - Celestial Entrance, since I hear some of their other albums are more cheesy. Celestial Entrance is the only one I own, however, and it's got some killer stuff on it. Check out the song "Dimensions of Fire" in particular.

They're not really a "sing-along" band, but all the other elements you mentioned are there - epic, uplifting, and heavy.

PureNegativism
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:45 am 

Could I ask someone to recommend progressive metal metal similar to Katatonia's "The Great Cold Distance"? Something with very heavy modern productions and tone, a similar "listenable" vocal, and a focus on fantastic satisfying simpler compositions. I realize that might be somewhat contradictory of progressive. The only other progressive metal I've enjoyed without a heavy extreme metal element was To-Mera. So something like that would be welcome. I know very little admittedly so don't hesitate to mention something you may think of as "obvious."

ScourgeOfDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 4:29 am 

Can anyone suggest prog metal bands stylistically similar to Pain Of Salvation. Something with both accoustic, soft and heavy tracks within the same album. The vocals should be good in the vein of Riverside and not anything harsh or overtly heavy. I usually listen to Dream Theater as well. So similrities with them are also welcome. But it should not be outright copying (Think of the case bet Opeth and Farmakon, outright copying!!)

Thanx in advance..

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 23  Next