Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
asd27
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:12 pm 

I'm a Dream Theater fan, so I have been thinking about checking out Fates Warning. What album should I get first?

yogibear
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:02 pm 

Audioslave666raj wrote:
I dont know if classifying Devil doll as progressive metal is justified or not, but does anyone here know of a band that incorporates such diversified styles and genres of music in one album as Devil doll? I first listened to this band 4 or 5 months ago, i liked it and then completely forgot about it.Just rediscovered it to realise what a brilliant piece of art Dies Irae is!!!

PS - Please, dont recommend weird sounding or highly technical bands, I just want stuffs similar to this.If you have heard it, you must be knowing what exactly i am lookign for.
Italian band Deus ex Machina

yogibear
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:13 pm 

Zero Hour side project is pretty good. They are called "Death Machine".
they are more straight forward metal but very heavy and have some good vocals somewhat similar to Phil Anselmo

Misty_Lake
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:13 pm 

Ihsahn is exactly what your looking for.

PeachPit
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:33 pm 

ScourgeOfDeath wrote:
Can anyone suggest prog metal bands stylistically similar to Pain Of Salvation. Something with both accoustic, soft and heavy tracks within the same album. The vocals should be good in the vein of Riverside and not anything harsh or overtly heavy. I usually listen to Dream Theater as well. So similrities with them are also welcome. But it should not be outright copying (Think of the case bet Opeth and Farmakon, outright copying!!)

Thanx in advance..

obZen wrote:
I'm too lazy to name all the bands I like. And much to my own chagrin regarding my helplessness, I will just name Pain of Salvation. Tired right now to rack my brain for much other than PoS.

I am looking for something that isn't obvious. New or old, doesn't matter. Although if it's anything at all to do with how PoS sound, I would assume that newer bands would be more relevant.

Things I don't want:
-pointless instrumental interludes, long or short. I hate when they're just there in attempts to make the album feel more complete. These either drag on and/or are pointless
-Little to no variability between the songs in the album
-Pansy ass power progressive. I like fairly ballsy prog. But I also like Pain of Salvation, which aren't 100% ballsy, but still pretty damn ballsy. When I say pansy ass, I'm trying to avoid cheese. I'm trying to avoid falsettos. Having said this, I love Symphony X as well.
-This is rather redundant since I already said I don't want the absence of variability between the songs on the album. Well, I am saying it again. I'd like the songs to speak to me by being unique and memorable.

Maybe I came off as a douche. I apologize. Just recommend me some prog that's not obvious and doesn't suck cheese with memorable, yet non-cheesy riffs.

You guys should check out Scariot and Seventh Wonder. If you only have time for one, Seventh Wonder is the better band, especially on the album Mercy Falls, although Scariot is no let down.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:33 pm 

I'm really looking for something similar to early Symphony X. More specifically, I really enjoy all their awesome guitar/keyboard noodling, and their audible use of a bassist.

Efilnikufesin17
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:30 pm 

asd27 wrote:
I'm a Dream Theater fan, so I have been thinking about checking out Fates Warning. What album should I get first?

I only have No exit and Perfect Symmetry, they are both good but if your want a heavier, thrashy Fates Warning get No Exit but if you want more progressive then check out Perfect symmetry. Both really good though and if you like DT then you will definetly like Fates Warning. Also, if you don't know much by Queensryche, you should check out their first three albums and the Queensryche EP, similar to Fates Warning as in early Prog Metal.

asd27
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:20 pm 

Efilnikufesin17 wrote:
asd27 wrote:

I only have No exit and Perfect Symmetry, they are both good but if your want a heavier, thrashy Fates Warning get No Exit but if you want more progressive then check out Perfect symmetry. Both really good though and if you like DT then you will definitely like Fates Warning. Also, if you don't know much by Queensryche, you should check out their first three albums and the Queensryche EP, similar to Fates Warning as in early Prog Metal.

Thanks for your recommendations. I already am a huge fan of Queensryche's earlier stuff, so I guess that helps.

2Eagle333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 12:24 pm 

asd27 wrote:
Either 'Awaken the Guardian' or 'The Spectre Within'. Flip a coin or something.

Castian
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 1:35 am 

Is Wuthering Heights considered progressive metal? I'm a big fan of their stuff, especially their folk sound. I'm just breaking into prog metal and I'm trying to find stuff that doesn't sound like death or power metal, and it's almost impossible. Any suggestions?

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 1:42 am 

I would say that it is quite fitting for the classification.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:23 pm 

im a big fan of shit like Queensryche, FW Savatage and the like. does anyone know any fairly unknown 80s shit in this vein i might enjoy. i like Letter X, but dont care too much for Dream Theatre. i could list you more band i have but dont have my music with me.

Efilnikufesin17
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:53 pm 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:
im a big fan of shit like Queensryche, FW Savatage and the like. does anyone know any fairly unknown 80s shit in this vein i might enjoy. i like Letter X, but dont care too much for Dream Theatre. i could list you more band i have but dont have my music with me.

They are not from the 80's but by those bands I have a feeling that you might like Symphony X. They are great Power/Progressive metal, I would suggest getting The Odyssey by them if you are interested.
Also, in August i'm going to the progressive nation tour and I was wondering if anyone could recommend which Pain of Salvation album would be the best to buy first? I have never heard anything by them and would like to get familiar with their material before the show.

PeachPit
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:05 pm 

Efilnikufesin17 wrote:
Also, in August i'm going to the progressive nation tour and I was wondering if anyone could recommend which Pain of Salvation album would be the best to buy first? I have never heard anything by them and would like to get familiar with their material before the show.

Entropia is from what I have heard their cut and dry best, very solid stuff. Their newer album Scarsick I also found to be very good, although a lot less metal. So if you want their more progressive metal stuff, definitely check out Entropia or One Hour by Concrete Lake, OHBCL has a really cool concept with it too. The more poppy kinda more crooning less metal Scarsick is by no means a bad album, though I found it had some filler and drawn out sections. Check out Disco Queen and Flame to the Moth from that album just to see some fun highlights.

Efilnikufesin17
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:51 pm 

Entropia is from what I have heard their cut and dry best, very solid stuff. Their newer album Scarsick I also found to be very good, although a lot less metal. So if you want their more progressive metal stuff, definitely check out Entropia or One Hour by Concrete Lake, OHBCL has a really cool concept with it too. The more poppy kinda more crooning less metal Scarsick is by no means a bad album, though I found it had some filler and drawn out sections. Check out Disco Queen and Flame to the Moth from that album just to see some fun highlights.[/quote]
Cool thanks! I'll probably check out Entropia, i had heard that Pain of Salvation was a great band so I figured I'd like to know a little of their stuff before seeing them live. I'll probably get OHBCL as well because I love concept albums so i'll probably love it!

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:16 am 

Efilnikufesin17 wrote:
DeathRiderDoom wrote:

They are not from the 80's but by those bands I have a feeling that you might like Symphony X. They are great Power/Progressive metal, I would suggest getting The Odyssey by them if you are interested.

yeah i listened to Symphony X about 4-5 years ago and didnt really care for it. it seemed a bit bland, kinda "too drawn out" or something. didnt like the vocals, and seemed like a bit of a lack of balls. dunno, that was a long time ago. would appreciate more recs though. cheers

Vinvm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:07 pm 

I don't know if this was posted already, But If you're really into Progressive/classic jazzy type metal all i have to say is WINDS.

Winds is basically Pink Floyd with heavy guitars and Hellhammer on drums

in_human_form
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:34 pm 

Vinvm wrote:
I don't know if this was posted already, But If you're really into Progressive/classic jazzy type metal all i have to say is WINDS.

Winds is basically Pink Floyd with heavy guitars and Hellhammer on drums

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm really enjoying The Imaginary Directions of Time. It has some nice string arrangements.

Castian
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:29 am 

I'm looking for good progressive metal, stuff that sounds like Vanden Plas, Shadow Gallery, or Circus Maximus. Any suggestions?

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:44 am 

still after good, lesser known 80's progressive stuff if anyone's got recs

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:01 pm 

Prog fans should check out Stygma IV's Solum Mente Infirmis, as it is compelling, addictive, elaborate and just downright great. Here's a band that never got their dues.

Hybrid_Thing
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:33 pm 

I'm looking for stuff like Threshold. Any recommendations?

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:08 pm 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:
still after good, lesser known 80's progressive stuff if anyone's got recs

Since you mentioned Letter X (debut '91?) I'll assume you mean stylistically, and not specific to the 80's decade itself.

Secrecy
Slauter Xstroyes
Vauxdvihl

Try The Last Things (sort of Savatage-y), Spectral Incursion (weird dark speed/thrash/prog), and Mayfair (Fates Warning-esque) if you already know the above.

RobotGigante
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:59 pm 

asd27 wrote:

If you haven't heard them you should also try Circus Maximus and A.C.T

ScourgeOfDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:10 pm 

I am looking for a bit more of extreme progressive metal. I need a band thats fast and heavy in the vein of Edge of Sanity but also employ more clean vocals than EoS. Maybe something like a much heavier and faster Opeth. Mention anything that you think I should try even if its obvious.
But no tech/prog death.

in_human_form
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:19 pm 

ScourgeOfDeath wrote:
I am looking for a bit more of extreme progressive metal. I need a band thats fast and heavy in the vein of Edge of Sanity but also employ more clean vocals than EoS. Maybe something like a much heavier and faster Opeth. Mention anything that you think I should try even if its obvious.
But no tech/prog death.

Try In Mourning. You said no progressive death, but want something like a heavier/faster Opeth. In Mourning fits that description.

TheWatchersEye
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:26 pm 

I'm looking to find stuff in the vein of Symphony X, Circus Maximus, Pain of Salvation, etc. You know, good use of keyboards. Thanks.

RobotGigante
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:25 pm 

If you don't mind instrumental stuff, Jens Johansson's solo stuff might be good (the Fission album).

KingVold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:39 pm 

Could I have a list of the essential Prog Metal albums please? I don't listen to any (unless you count Uriah Heep) so I am un utterly blank slate. Educate me!

AppleQueso wrote:
Acidgobblin wrote:
I refuse to listen to a genre using an onamatapoeiac descriptor.

Motion to change "Death Metal" to "EEURRRGHHH"

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:52 am 

No, what you're asking is incredibly stupid. Just get into it yourself, do some work in exploring your own taste and it will be much more rewarding.

CyberMessiah
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:34 pm 

levasty wrote:
We all know the drill, but this time it's PROGRESSIVE!

This is a thread for those looking for that specific Progressive Metal band they've been looking for and for those willing to help.

I'll start I'm looking for some Progressive metal band that have harsh vocal and uses High-Tempo, also If the sound is very intricate then kudos for you.

Check out into eternity

Mankat
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:15 am 

I am looking for some suggestions on either Power Progressive and/or Thrash Progressive. I have done some browsing on the database for some bands and what not, but I am not having any luck (Mainly I was just looking at the names and if any jumped out at me I gave them a listen to). I listen to Cynic, Opeth, Disilussion (Misspelled probably), and other bands that aren't on the Database.

CyberMessiah
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:41 am 

Mankat wrote:
I am looking for some suggestions on either Power Progressive and/or Thrash Progressive. I have done some browsing on the database for some bands and what not, but I am not having any luck (Mainly I was just looking at the names and if any jumped out at me I gave them a listen to). I listen to Cynic, Opeth, Disilussion (Misspelled probably), and other bands that aren't on the Database.

try out control denied

thomash
Metal Philosopher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:58 am 

You can't go wrong with Control Denied, of course. I think you should also look into Mekong Delta - they're probably one of the best progressive thrash bands of all time and definitely do the best job worshiping at the altar of classical music of any metal band. They're pretty much a no-brainer.

Also, if you like Control Denied (which you should since they have a lot in common with Cynic for a power metal band), you should definitely try Symphony X. I tend to think that they were a little bit too easygoing before the latest album, but they've always been a very talented band.

As far as progressive technical thrash goes, Watch Tower is absolutely essential. Easily some of the best thrash ever. (For extra credit, check out Ron Jarzombek's later projects, which are all quite technical and progressive although neither thrash nor power. Just pure awesome.)

Obvious recommendations: Ayreon, which is a very cool progressive metal project with a lot of power metal elements. Also, everybody seems to love Dream Theater and, while I find James LaBrie quite tiresome and much of their work overrated, Live at Budokan and Metropolis Pt. II are pretty damned awesome.

Savatage! Fucking awesome band. They sum up all the best elements of 80s power metal and progressive metal. Buy or die! Also, I think Target from Belgium might be right up your alley - particularly if you like Watch Tower and Mekong Delta.

Jesus, I almost forgot Voivod! :boo: Anyway, Voivod is pretty essential, but they really only combined technical, progressive, and thrash styles on a couple of albums. I would start with Killing Technology and Dimension Hatross. If you want to hear them play relatively more traditional thrash, pick up War and Pain. For weird, technical, proggy stuff start with Nothingface and go from there.

Mankat
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:17 am 

thomash wrote:
You can't go wrong with Control Denied, of course. I think you should also look into Mekong Delta - they're probably one of the best progressive thrash bands of all time and definitely do the best job worshiping at the altar of classical music of any metal band. They're pretty much a no-brainer.

Also, if you like Control Denied (which you should since they have a lot in common with Cynic for a power metal band), you should definitely try Symphony X. I tend to think that they were a little bit too easygoing before the latest album, but they've always been a very talented band.

As far as progressive technical thrash goes, Watch Tower is absolutely essential. Easily some of the best thrash ever. (For extra credit, check out Ron Jarzombek's later projects, which are all quite technical and progressive although neither thrash nor power. Just pure awesome.)

Obvious recommendations: Ayreon, which is a very cool progressive metal project with a lot of power metal elements. Also, everybody seems to love Dream Theater and, while I find James LaBrie quite tiresome and much of their work overrated, Live at Budokan and Metropolis Pt. II are pretty damned awesome.

Savatage! Fucking awesome band. They sum up all the best elements of 80s power metal and progressive metal. Buy or die! Also, I think Target from Belgium might be right up your alley - particularly if you like Watch Tower and Mekong Delta.

Jesus, I almost forgot Voivod! :boo: Anyway, Voivod is pretty essential, but they really only combined technical, progressive, and thrash styles on a couple of albums. I would start with Killing Technology and Dimension Hatross. If you want to hear them play relatively more traditional thrash, pick up War and Pain. For weird, technical, proggy stuff start with Nothingface and go from there.

I've heard of Savatage and Symphony X (Given how I own Paradise Lost and I have listened to Hall of the Mountain King. Both are fucking great albums). I hate on Dream Theater too much for me to like them. I will give Watch Tower, Mekong Delta, Voivod, Target, and Control Denied a listen to.

thomash
Metal Philosopher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:34 am 

Mankat wrote:
I've heard of Savatage and Symphony X (Given how I own Paradise Lost and I have listened to Hall of the Mountain King. Both are fucking great albums). I hate on Dream Theater too much for me to like them. I will give Watch Tower, Mekong Delta, Voivod, Target, and Control Denied a listen to.

Not surprising. I assume that most prog fans have heard Savatage, Symphony X and Dream Theater, but I though I'd mention them just in case. You won't be disappointed with the other bands, though!

M3TALMANIAC750
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:08 pm 

I am looking for some progressive metal that is not in the melodic power metal vein. A heavier death or groove metal feel like Mastodon, or Opeth.
Crack the Skye is a good example and Opeth's Ghost Reveries

gomorro
Too Slow to Owl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:38 pm 

My band and I have a few questions, because we are searching a progressive sound so...
1) Wich kind of elements make a can band(without using keyboards) progressive ?
2) How a thrash band can add some progressive elements or influences?

Thanks in advance

Acidchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:50 pm 

gomorro wrote:
My band and I have a few questions, because we are searching a progressive sound so...
1) Wich kind of elements make a can band(without using keyboards) progressive ?
2) How a thrash band can add some progressive elements or influences?

Thanks in advance

1- Odd time signatures. Stay out of 4/4. Meshuggah is the biggest abuser of this, but old school prog bands such as King Crimson and Rush also use this to terrifyingly good effect.
2- Influences from other music styles, particularly Classical and Jazz.
3- Strong dynamics. (A good balance between loud and quiet sections, eg. Opeth, is essential.)
4- Technicality- playing your instruments to the best of your ability! This can often make a mediocre prog band decent or a great prog band even better. The inverse is also true, not playing your instruments as well as you possibly can could ruin your band.
5- Keyboards? Sorry.
6- Interesting harmonies and modalities. Don't just play in E Aeolian/G Ionian! Find a cool mode, and then change notes to be purposefully out of key. Also use full chords with a couple notes on each harmony instrument to create a fuller harmonic sound. Use all the music theory you know. Also-
7- LEARN YOUR THEORY!
8- Acoustic intros. ...Yeah, this is a good one for your thrash band, but if you use any of these suggestions in your thrash band, you'll be heading the way of Testament, Watchtower, Mekong Delta and Forbidden in no time!

*EDIT* 9- Extended compositions. You could probably have surmised this on your own, but the longer the tracks, the more progressive.

AWESOME BRUTAL DEATH METAL
CHECK IT OUT

EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:28 pm 

Is there any prog metal that's like a metal version of Tool? Or generally just prog metal with a generally brooding, "introverted" atmosphere, not too high pitched vocals and not much fumbling on the higher strings/shredding and not being too 70s-ish/prog rock sounding...

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 23  Next