Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
levasty
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:48 am 

We all know the drill, but this time it's PROGRESSIVE!

This is a thread for those looking for that specific Progressive Metal band they've been looking for and for those willing to help.

I'll start I'm looking for some Progressive metal band that have harsh vocal and uses High-Tempo, also If the sound is very intricate then kudos for you.

Wra1th1s
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:33 pm 

Define 'harsh,' does it require death growling? If so then 90s era Death is your best bet.

Also I was going to start a thread like this but I kept forgetting :lol:
we sail across the sea!

666head
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:37 pm 

@ levasty, I assume you know Opeth. Also try 90's Death.

Wra1th1s, I had the same thought as you man. Exactly the same thought as you.

MaliciousAwesome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:57 pm 

Cynic.
But you may be turned off by the vocoder, I myself like that style. You may not though.
The harsh vocals are cool though.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:57 pm 

You would be interested in Skyfire and Empyrean Sky then (heh, both have Sky in the name). Two top bands that should be pretty enjoyable to you.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:02 pm 

Um, about the only Progressive-ish band I ever listen to is Disillusion. I won't describe them, I'll just suggest them because they're pretty fuckin' good.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:07 pm 

Disillusion's first album is amazing, I'm all over that shit like a true fanboy.

I'd like more prog metal in the Nightingale, Psychotic Waltz, Scariot (Strange to Numbers era) etc vein.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Wra1th1s
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:14 pm 

MaliciousAwesome wrote:
Cynic.
But you may be turned off by the vocoder, I myself like that style. You may not though.
The harsh vocals are cool though.

Yeah, I hated the vocoder but the musicianship was great, also levasty, ATHEIST!
we sail across the sea!

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:15 pm 

levasty, try Acid death and Sadist (italy)

Wra1th1s
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:20 pm 

^^^
Fuck! I forgot about Sadist! Their most recent album is awesome! But don't get the LEGO album or something, that one is mallcore.
we sail across the sea!

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:28 pm 

is tech-thrash considered proggressive? eg Watchtower

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:29 pm 

metroplex wrote:
is tech-thrash considered proggressive? eg Watchtower

I'd say Watchtower is fairly progressive thrash, as is Mekong Delta. However being technical is not necessarily progressive. For instance I would never call Necrophagist progressive death metal.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:44 pm 

Wra1th1s wrote:
^^^
Fuck! I forgot about Sadist! Their most recent album is awesome! But don't get the LEGO album or something, that one is mallcore.

the album title, ''Lego'' doesn't sound anything metal, right? :lol:

I only own Sadists's first album, will download their others too!

Nhorf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:38 pm 

If you like Opeth, I'd recommend Farmakon, they have some death metal, uptempo, parts and jazzy/funky breakdowns. I don't like them that much but they fit the description.

Hybrid_Killer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:45 pm 

My knowledge of progressive metal that doesn't have anything to do with death metal/has extreme leanings is not much deeper than Dream Theater:P.

In all seriousness however, the couple of prog bands that I know/enjoy are Riverside and Vanden Plas.

Anything relatively similar? Especially something with a similar vocal approach to that of the Riverside singer(brilliant clean voice, occasionally layered with the occasional snarl)?

Wra1th1s
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:08 pm 

Hybrid_Killer wrote:
Anything relatively similar? Especially something with a similar vocal approach to that of the Riverside singer(brilliant clean voice, occasionally layered with the occasional snarl)?

Symphony X
we sail across the sea!

Scourge441
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:23 pm 

levasty wrote:
I'll start I'm looking for some Progressive metal band that have harsh vocal and uses High-Tempo, also If the sound is very intricate then kudos for you.

How fast to you need the tempos to be?

I'll recommend In Mourning and Ikuinen Kaamos, who are both similar to Opeth. They have some faster parts. I also recommend Dan Swano's solo album Moontower.

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:40 pm 

This thread is a major disappointment. It should be limited to Progressive Metal bands in the vein of Fates Warning, Queensryche etc. Bands which have made a career on being progressive. The inclusion of Death in this topic isn't surprising though the non-mention of the more appropriate Control Denied is grounds for failure.

Progressive Metal is a genre. Metal in which the term progressive is used as an adjective is not.

Scourge441
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:43 pm 

Hybrid_Killer wrote:
In all seriousness however, the couple of prog bands that I know/enjoy are Riverside and Vanden Plas.

You'll have a tough time finding a vocalist like Mariusz Duda from Riverside. Hell, you'll have a tough time finding any band that sounds like Riverside. The closest I know of is Osada Vida, who aren't metal and aren't as good as Riverside.

Try Anubis Gate's newest album. If you like Vanden Plas, you'll probably like that.

g_k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:57 pm 

i really dig circus maximus and i'm not huge into this stuff.

Evil_Obsidian
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:42 am 

I don't find so-called "progressive metal" to be that progressive, considering that you always get what you expect from most bands I've come across in that genre.

In my opinion, real progressive metal is stuff like:
Frantic Bleep (crap name - awesome band)
Maudlin Of The Well (everything up to when they became Kayo Dot.)
Fleurety (especially the last 2 releases)
Arcturus (all except the debut and before)
Forgotten Silence (especially "Senyaan")
Aghora (if we're talking a certain level of technicality)
Sigh (Hail Horror Hail is their highlight)
Solefald (first 3 albums)
To-Mera (crazy arrangements)
Subterranean Masquerade - Suspended Animation Dreams
Thine - A Town Like This
Winds (more what is traditionally expected from progressive metal, but great)

Bands that experiment, where you never really now what you're going to get from album to album, from song to song, or even within the same song.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:58 am 

Evil_Obsidian wrote:
I don't find so-called "progressive metal" to be that progressive, considering that you always get what you expect from most bands I've come across in that genre.

Progressive refers to the quasi-linear (and sometimes actually linear!) compositional structure that many of them use, not a very specific sound. Although there is a very identifiable and definitive style of what modern progressive metal bands sound like.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:11 am 

rexxz wrote:
Progressive refers to the quasi-linear (and sometimes actually linear!) compositional structure that many of them use, not a very specific sound.

Are you sure? It is true that most prog bands (at least prog rock; I can't really remember many song structures of prog metal songs, except several by Beyond Twilight which are more verse-chorus oriented) have "more linear" song structures than other bands, but I don't think that's the only characteristic that makes a band "progressive."
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

saintinhell
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:16 am 

Progressive is a very nebulous and suggestive description anyway. Currently, at least among prog-heads, anything with complex time signatures seems to be prog. This is not what I thought was prog when I got into good ol' Tull, Yes or Genesis but there you are.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:17 am 

Hmm, I might ask a question here myself.

Basically, I've always hated prog metal, it's just turned me off whenever I'd heard it. With my recent interest in power metal, I'm looking for some "gateway" bands that could introduce me to the genre. I know people seem to mention a number of bands all the time, but even these "popular" bands in the genre often have a huge amount of releases, and the wrong choice could put me off forever! I'm willing to give the genre a try though, so here we go...

Looking for some prog metal with a fair leaning towards power metal (I'm talking Black Majesty style power metal here) and not to much emphasis on the whole "progressive" stuff, I'm a newbie to it after all. Good, strong vocals are a plus (no harsh vocals please, as I said I'm leaning towards to pm styled bands) and a nice flow in the songs, no Opeth-style stop-stop stuff.

That's about as detailed as I can make my description unfortunately, I just have no knowledge of the genre.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:18 am 

It really gets complicated when it gets to comparing prog rock to prog metal. Is prog metal the metal version of prog rock, as in prog metal is to metal as prog rock is to rock, or is prog metal a sub-gnere of prog rock?
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:20 am 

Kruel wrote:
rexxz wrote:
Progressive refers to the quasi-linear (and sometimes actually linear!) compositional structure that many of them use, not a very specific sound.

Are you sure? It is true that most prog bands (at least prog rock; I can't really remember many song structures of prog metal songs, except several by Beyond Twilight which are more verse-chorus oriented) have "more linear" song structures than other bands, but I don't think that's the only characteristic that makes a band "progressive."

Beyond Twilight? Maybe on the first album and a few songs from Section-X, but most on that album are still unconventional to the pop structure standard. And then you have the metal symphony that is "For the Love of Art and the Making" which doesn't even belong in that category.

But as far as making any sort of objective empirical claims, I'd say that is the strongest qualifier for being a progressive metal band. Of course there are other things which could place a piece of music within the genre. I even admitted to there being an established style. However I was only talking about what the word typically historically referred (and refers) to.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:24 am 

rexxz wrote:
Kruel wrote:
rexxz wrote:

Beyond Twilight? Maybe on the first album and a few songs from Section-X, but most on that album are still unconventional to the pop structure standard. And then you have the metal symphony that is "For the Love of Art and the Making" which doesn't even belong in that category.

Of course, I wasn't generalizing the band as a whole; the only ones whose structures I could rememer were Ecstasy Arise (I remember everything from this song because it's my favourite) and Section X title track. I didn't remember other song structures probably becaue they are unconventional.

Quote:
But as far as making any sort of objective empirical claims, I'd say that is the strongest qualifier for being a progressive metal band. Of course there are other things which could place a piece of music within the genre. I even admitted to there being an established style. However I was only talking about what the word typically historically referred (and refers) to.

That sounds fair enough.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:28 am 

Kruel wrote:
Of course, I wasn't generalizing the band as a whole; the only ones whose structures I could rememer were Ecstasy Arise (I remember everything from this song because it's my favourite) and Section X title track. I didn't remember other song structures probably becaue they are unconventional.

Ah ok. Beyond Twilight is one of my favorite prog metal bands, actually. The title track from Section-X doesn't really represent well enough the common pop structure. It has far too many sections for that. While there are verses that repeat (as there are in nearly every prog metal song, very few are strictly linear), it strays well enough off the beaten path of "verse/chorus".

Anyway, since this is the prog metal help thread I'll do a favor and recommend to everyone who hasn't heard the band exactly this one. Beyond Twilight is incredible. Finn Zierler possesses an incredibly unique style, and Section-X is one of the darkest progressive metal albums I can think of.

saintinhell
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:31 am 

Kruel wrote:
or is prog metal a sub-gnere of prog rock?

This is what I think too because it seems to be progheads who have tagged lot of bands as prog-metal and not metalheads tagging some metal bands as progressive. Or rather it works both ways, leading to a confounded mess.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:32 am 

It is quite easy in my mind to differentiate between progressive metal and progressive rock. Listen to Pink Floyd, then listen to Anubis Gate and tell me which one is metal and which one is rock. It's not as complicated of an issue as you might make it out.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:33 am 

rexxz wrote:
Ah ok. Beyond Twilight is one of my favorite prog metal bands, actually. The title track from Section-X doesn't really represent well enough the common pop structure. It has far too many sections for that. While there are verses that repeat (as there are in nearly every prog metal song, very few are strictly linear), it strays well enough off the beaten path of "verse/chorus".

Ah, yeah, it isn't really a typical structure; I just lumped it in due to the repetition.

Anyway, I second Section X. The Dark Side (the fifth track) is especially very, very dark and twisted.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:40 am 

rexxz wrote:
It is quite easy in my mind to differentiate between progressive metal and progressive rock. Listen to Pink Floyd, then listen to Anubis Gate and tell me which one is metal and which one is rock. It's not as complicated of an issue as you might make it out.

It's easy to tell what is metal and what is not, but that's from a metal standpoint. I'm not very familiar with the prog community, but it seems like they think prog metal is a subgenre of prog rock. Anubis Gate sounds very different from Pink Floyd but so does Magma, Univers Zero, and probably many post-rock bands (I'm not sure on this because I haven't heard much of the more modern variants of prog).

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:41 am 

Well I can even say that Shadow Gallery, which is as close to prog rock that a prog metal band will come is still pretty identifiable as metal.

Traver
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:49 am 

For melodic prog metal, all you need is SEVENTH WONDER.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=YW3UG1zbsFY& ... re=related

These guys are way up there with the giants, yet virtually unknown.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:49 am 

rexxz wrote:
Well I can even say that Shadow Gallery, which is as close to prog rock that a prog metal band will come is still pretty identifiable as metal.
That's true, but I was saying that progheads consider prog metal bands, and even Atheist, Cryptopsy, etc. as belonging to prog rock, though this is of course a broader definition of prog rock.

It actually seems like a non-issue, though, at least for the purposes of this thread, since this is a metal forum and a metal perspetive is a given.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:50 am 

Oh yeah, well I wouldn't expect someone who listens to and studies prog rock as the far majority of their musical habits to really understand progressive metal, and vice versa.

Hybrid_Killer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:11 pm 

Scourge441 wrote:
Hybrid_Killer wrote:

You'll have a tough time finding a vocalist like Mariusz Duda from Riverside. Hell, you'll have a tough time finding any band that sounds like Riverside. The closest I know of is Osada Vida, who aren't metal and aren't as good as Riverside.

Try Anubis Gate's newest album. If you like Vanden Plas, you'll probably like that.

On a slightly related note, the new review for Second Life Syndrome misses the point horribly.

Thanks for the Anubis Gate rec, I'm liking what I hear. And yeah I didn't think a search for a band that has a vocalist like Mariusz Duda was going to be fruitful.

Dark_Mewtwo1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:21 pm 

im looking for some prog metal that has a sad, melancholy atmosphere, an overall darker sound. most prog metal ive heard sounds too happy for me, and i tend to dislike it.

a good example of what im talking about is dark suns - existence. riverside also fits the bill. im already going to check out anubis gate and vanden plas based on what ive read here, but i would appreciate any more suggestions.

idioteque04
Doesn't know how right he is. ^

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:14 am 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
Um, about the only Progressive-ish band I ever listen to is Disillusion. I won't describe them, I'll just suggest them because they're pretty fuckin' good.

I wouldnt - they are bad in my opinion - vocalist is poor. just dont bother with them.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next