Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:53 am 

Paka01 wrote:
Are there any good new, young metal bands (formed in the past 7-8 years) that play classic prog metal? Something in the vein of Dream Theater, Symphony X, Shadow Gallery, Pain of Salvation, etc... So nothing with death growls and harsh vocals, nothing rooted in djent, metalcore or similar.

Threshold?

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:42 am 

Formed in:1988

Hellbeast11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:27 am 

Paka01 wrote:
Are there any good new, young metal bands (formed in the past 7-8 years) that play classic prog metal? Something in the vein of Dream Theater, Symphony X, Shadow Gallery, Pain of Salvation, etc... So nothing with death growls and harsh vocals, nothing rooted in djent, metalcore or similar.

Odd Dimension
Utopia - Mood Changes

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:32 am 

Opus wrote:
Formed in:1988

Missed the mark by a couple decades.

They are kinda modern sounding at least on their new albums though.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:40 am 

Myrath maybe? They are 12 years old, but Tales of Sands it's a really interesting album

Paka01
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:43 pm 

I've listened Myrath before, they are great. I agree that Tales of the Sands is really good album.
Anyway, thanks for the help guys, there are some really interesting bands. Keep 'em coming!

marthasimons
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:41 am 

Disillusion - this band has already been mentioned but I just want to stress that they are really good. This is the only band that plays progressive music or at least I think so.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:09 pm 

This band doesn't qualify as a new band, but, regardless, you should really check out Redemption's new album, 'A Long Night's Journey into Day'. Redemption has been around for a while, but the style on this album is definitely 'modern progressive metal', and is quite aggressive, which surprised me (I never cared much for these guys before this). So... go, enjoy!

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:00 am 

Hey guys, I'm looking for any other music exactly like this, I don't know anything else like it-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy12TCuOE8E

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:16 pm 

Alright I've never listened to anything that is purely progressive metal and I would like to hear bands from the genre. Any recommendations? Hopefully this isn't a metal sin! By the way, If it's technical, I really wouldn't mind at all. I just don't know where to begin with the progressive metal genre which is why I'm seeking recs.

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:09 am 

Progressive metal (rock too for that matter) tends to have something as a base and then adds to that whether it's power, thrash, death, etc. I'm not sure prog with nothing else, "pure," can actually exist regardless of the labeling. I mean Dream Theater and Symphony X are a couple of big names that are regarded primarily as prog, but you could throw an extra term with either, and I believe this site does with the latter. If I remember correctly, you're more of a trad, heavy/power, etc guy, so I imagine recs that lean that way would be better for you. On that note try Slauter Xstroyes two albums. The production is a little thin on Winter Kill, but the variety of riffs and quality of songwriting is worth hearing. I suspect you've heard Psychotic Waltz, but if not do so. Arch/Matheos' Sympathetic Resonance was a pretty good prog album, far removed from classic Fates Warning in style.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:38 am 

Gunslinger21 wrote:
Hey guys, I'm looking for any other music exactly like this, I don't know anything else like it-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy12TCuOE8E

I know nothing about electronic music, but I do know that this has nothing to do with progressive rock or metal. You'd have better luck asking in the general forum or perhaps the Industrial Metal Help Thread.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:41 am 

TheConqueror1 wrote:
Alright I've never listened to anything that is purely progressive metal and I would like to hear bands from the genre. Any recommendations? Hopefully this isn't a metal sin! By the way, If it's technical, I really wouldn't mind at all. I just don't know where to begin with the progressive metal genre which is why I'm seeking recs.

StainedClass95 already mentioned some bands.

I'll mention some more:

Conception (first album is a mixed bag and good prog for those not into it. After that they became more prog as it's known today. Their third album is their best.)

Brothers Grimm (crazy intense prog that on paper could be easily wank shit, but it's clearly not. For 1990 it's super advanced!)

Othyrworld - More prog that's basically prog for those not into it. Unique, spacy-y sounding shit that's all about interesting riffs.

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:48 pm 

TheConqueror1 wrote:

I haven't kept up with the genre in a while but I highly highly suggest "The Towers of Avarice" by Zero Hour.

Technical, introspective, but definitely very metal.

~Guest 502755
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:28 pm 

What makes progressive metal "progressive"? What are the features of this genre? I listened to Dream Theatre and they sound like heavy/power metal to me.

Blizk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:11 pm 

Diplomate wrote:
What makes progressive metal "progressive"? What are the features of this genre? I listened to Dream Theatre and they sound like heavy/power metal to me.

The term "progressive" is usually associated with songs breaking away from standard pop and rock structures (which often makes them long), and frequent use of odd time signatures and syncopated rhythms. Learning To Live is probably a much better example than whatever more straightforward songs of theirs you listened to.

It basically takes progressive rock and combines it with metal riffs.

y_am_i_a_TOOTHPASTE
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:32 pm 

Does anyone know of prog metal that sounds like actual traditional metal? I listened to Haken and they sounded like Mini-Dream Theater. Vocalist sounds like LaBrie, guitar sounds like Petrucci, then they have the keyboardist doing the keyboard blahblahblah. Listened to Vanden Plas and still kind of sounds like dream theater.

What about something that sounds like Judas Priest's "Screaming for Vengeance" except they do weird times like 7/4 instead of 4 all the time?

amelanchier
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:53 pm 

y_am_i_a_TOOTHPASTE wrote:
Does anyone know of prog metal that sounds like actual traditional metal? I listened to Haken and they sounded like Mini-Dream Theater. Vocalist sounds like LaBrie, guitar sounds like Petrucci, then they have the keyboardist doing the keyboard blahblahblah. Listened to Vanden Plas and still kind of sounds like dream theater.

What about something that sounds like Judas Priest's "Screaming for Vengeance" except they do weird times like 7/4 instead of 4 all the time?

The closest thing I can think of to what you're looking for might be Psychotic Waltz. All their albums are great, though _Mosquito_ and _Bleeding_ are less progressive.

I assume you're familiar with pre-Dream Theater prog metal like Fates Warning, Crimson Glory, Queensryche, maybe even Savatage. You also might want to look into prog/power crossover bands that lack keyboards, like Angra, Shaman, Ark, etc.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:09 pm 

Cauldron Born
Antithesis
Slauter Xstroyes
Watchtower
etc. etc.

Pellinore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:28 pm 

Can anyone recommend some good Operatic rock/Metal? Something grandiose and perhaps dramatic, a bit like Queen.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:17 pm 

Meat Loaf

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:31 am 

Pellinore wrote:
Can anyone recommend some good Operatic rock/Metal? Something grandiose and perhaps dramatic, a bit like Queen.

The first band to come to mind is Shadow Gallery. My favorite albums were always Legacy and their s/t debut, though most people prefer Tyranny and Carved In Stone. Either way, there's lots to love throughout their discography.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:02 pm 

Pellinore wrote:
Can anyone recommend some good Operatic rock/Metal?

How about Orion's Reign?

amelanchier
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:08 pm 

Pellinore wrote:

There's a well-defined genre of pomp rock inspired by Queen and the like. Not really my cup, but I did enjoy the Jono album from a couple of years back. Excellent vocal performances.

celldweller
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:41 am 

Pellinore wrote:

...?

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:39 pm 

Has anyone here checked out Ray Alder's recent solo album? I'm really, really digging it. The man's in some kind of groove recently.

Don Karlos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:06 pm 

Try White wizzard or Silver Bullet

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:23 pm 

Man, sometimes the similar artist page really introduces you to awesome bands.

Syrinx was a French prog metal band (!) that sounded like old school US prog you'd expect from the late 80's/early 90's instead.

Them riffs! Yummy!

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:54 pm 

colin040 wrote:
Man, sometimes the similar artist page really introduces you to awesome bands.

Syrinx was a French prog metal band (!) that sounded like old school US prog you'd expect from the late 80's/early 90's instead.

Them riffs! Yummy!

I've appreciated this band for years! Glad to see more love for them!

Unique stuff. The metal scene needs more bands like this.

Nothingface
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 3:25 am 

Can anyone recommend some (obscure, I guess) progressive metal albums that have the same nostalgic vibes as Images and Words and Awake by Dream Theater? Really good vocals, light on the tech wank, no obnoxious epics, and produced in such a way that doesn't sound ultra-modern and plastic like some of the other Dream Theater clones do. I think The Devil's Hall of Fame by Beyond Twilight comes awfully close, as well as the two Ark albums, Paradox by Royal Hunt, and most of Conception's discography.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 10:59 am 

If you take away the tech wank and the obnoxious epics, there's not much prog left?

Enchant
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nifSGhc ... pcUuWHbHU8

How about some prog rock (neo-prog)?
IQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cyx1r1f7V7k
Pallas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPKa8jM ... 2WOiH7HBw-
Spock's Beard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D6lIw1 ... UBk1cvRNeh

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 5:05 am 

Lethal's debut, and Sieges Even's albums from Sense of Change onwards... and these guys who did not release an album sadly:

///

unrelated to the query, a friend recently schooled me on those two bands who I believe need more fans:

Lord of Light
https://lordoflight.bandcamp.com/

Magnitude 9
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... vgBzyJN8N1

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 11:30 am 

aloof wrote:
Magnitude 9

Magnitude 9 is really top notch prog metal!

Xeronus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:00 pm 

I would recomend Post Human. They use two bass instead of two guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b0kq6k0MXE

SilverSpring2018
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:33 am 

Paralydium's Worlds Beyond and Anubis Gates' covers album (Covered in Colours) have kept me pretty busy lately.

gomorro
Too Slow to Owl

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:20 pm 

I will leave this jewl here for the ones seeking for prog with a Symphonic/ Folk direction... Wilderun is a band that currently have wining some recognitions with their last album Veil of Imagination, amazing band with amazing musicians. The composition in general it's brilliant you can hear a little bit of Hakken, Opeth, Wintersun... All structures and changes are subtle and well developed... Enjoy!!

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:16 am 

Nothingface wrote:
Can anyone recommend some (obscure, I guess) progressive metal albums that have the same nostalgic vibes as Images and Words and Awake by Dream Theater? Really good vocals, light on the tech wank, no obnoxious epics, and produced in such a way that doesn't sound ultra-modern and plastic like some of the other Dream Theater clones do. I think The Devil's Hall of Fame by Beyond Twilight comes awfully close, as well as the two Ark albums, Paradox by Royal Hunt, and most of Conception's discography.

What do you mean with nostalgic vibes? If you don't mind a cross between Perfect Symmetry era Fates Warning and Dream Theater (though more similar to their '89-92 stuff) try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ow-4QFiQKE

It's not perfect, but ''Shadow Troops'' has to be one of the best prog metal songs of all time. The vocalist is a fucking beast, too.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:01 am 

Any prog metal albums y'all heard in 2020 that you feel deserve some recognition or went unnoticed. I'm putting together my list of the same and will return shortly.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:54 pm 

ALL prog metal goes unnoticed here! :grumble:

Solid Faith - Eternal Quest
Greek prog, formed in 1997, debut album now!

DGM - Tragic Separation
They never get the love they deserve!

Royal Hunt - Dystopia
Concept album based on Fahrenheit 451. I love concept albums! Love the book too.

Paralydium - Worlds Beyond
Half of Dynazty with a different singer

Course of Fate - Mindweaver
A bit of Evergrey and a bit of Pain of Salvation, from Norway

Archon Angel - Fallen
Zak Stevens new band, with members from Secret Sphere

Vanden Plas - The Ghost Xperiment - Illumination

This sort of prog metal is just about all I care about now, as far as new releases goes.
Looking forward to the list. Do you have lists for previous years too?

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:03 pm 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
Any prog metal albums y'all heard in 2020 that you feel deserve some recognition or went unnoticed. I'm putting together my list of the same and will return shortly.

I think we already sort of talked about this last month in another thread, but just to have it here as well, and some of these are probably kind of obvious, but just for the sake of completion - Black Crown Initiate, Caligula's Horse, Communic, DGM, Haken, Kiko Loureiro, Manticora, The Ocean, Oceans of Slumber, John Petrucci, Scardust, Derek Sherinian, Soilwork, Sons of Apollo, Sweven, Paul Wardingham.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next