Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:42 pm 

How many of you are a fan of Mind Odyssey? The debut isn't too interesting, but shit, their third album rules. Riff-y sci-fi prog that's pretty captivating stuff.

2Eagle333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:28 pm 

IIRC there were some Greyhaven fans here, so here's a song by a band of ex-Greyhaven members including the great vocalist Brian Francis:

This band recorded a couple of albums, that were uploaded to the internet by Brian Francis a while ago, but it seems to be difficult to access these songs at the moment. They play an interesting combination of Greyhaven's sound with APSoG/Disconnected-era Fates Warning, so it's worth listening to if you're into either of those bands.

If anyone wants the albums, I do have the files on hand from when Brian Francis uploaded them, so feel free to send me a PM and I can send you a copy.

The other great band formed after Greyhaven dissolved, Echo Us, is much more well-known, but you should give it a listen if you haven't. Most of its catalogue is a combination of ambient sequences with samples and occasional vocals by Matthew, sort of like a more upbeat and spiritualistic version of OSI.

LilTito
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 10:01 pm 

Hi people, i've been avoiding prog all my life but i think its time to give it a shot.
My only requirement is that it must be on the harsh, extreme side, as i am a big fan of death/black metal. So no Dream theather-core please.
I would ask for anything that is proggy, jazzy or just weird tbh. Thanks in advance.

~Guest 1129985
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 10:08 pm 

If you haven't heard Gonin-Ish yet, give them a go:

Forgotten Silence may be worth a go too:

Their discography is a bit of a clusterfuck as you can see by their genre tag on their M-A page. Their style varies quite a bit with each album.

LilTito
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 5:55 am 

Death Mantra wrote:
If you haven't heard Gonin-Ish yet, give them a go:

Forgotten Silence may be worth a go too:

Their discography is a bit of a clusterfuck as you can see by their genre tag on their M-A page. Their style varies quite a bit with each album.

Thanks, ill be checking them out

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:31 pm 

Just came here to say Stone Healer's Conquistador is probably the best Progressive metal album I've heard so far this year and to recommend it to anyone looking into some killer newer releases.

https://stonehealer.bandcamp.com/

Coastliner
Metalhead

Location: beyond the blue on some ancient, tattered Fates Warning cover
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:29 am 

Since this is the "[…] Progressive Rock Help Thread"… – let me help you. :old:

Yes – The Quest...

..., sigh. Save the world and don't buy this album. Save an hour of your remaining lifetime by listening to something else. Yeah, it's better than the last one, "Heaven & Earth" (aka The Album that Wants to Kill You), but what isn't? O.K., "Baloney on Sugar Mountain" is even worse but that doesn't exist yet.

If you turn a blind eye to the fact that there are no original members in this line-up and that Steve Howe, Geoff Downes and Alan White don't get younger and, by their own admission, can't play the fast, complicated stuff anymore, you may find some enjoyable elements and moments on "The Quest".

The first five tracks are kinda decent, boring but decent. The last five tracks (if you include the bonus tracks) are fluffy cotton candy and forgettable. The only track that makes sense and is a worthwhile addition to latter-day Yes's catalogue is the subdued ballad "Future Memories". Imagine a cross between a 70s Jethro Tull ballad, Fish's "The Field" and Lana Lane. It's "Onward" (from "Tormato") for the 21st century.

If "Heaven & Earth" was a 1 out of 10, this is a 5 out of 10. It isn't a crime against music but you don't need it. What you need is to fill in the gaps in your pre-80s Yes collection, e.g. if you've always given the debut from 1969 a wide berth, get that one instead. It's a pop album, more or less, but a good one!

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:54 pm 

Last edited by EvergreenSherbert on Mon May 23, 2022 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Misty_Lake
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:09 pm 

Prog metal backing a come back? New released by Green Carnation, ..And Oceans, and as much as I hate to admit Dream Theater have been solid so far.

Misty_Lake
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:10 pm 

What are the best most recent releases?

Coastliner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:30 pm 

This is probably not the right thread but I don't know where to post this...

I just read that David Longdon has died. He was unquestionably this world's best contemporary progressive rock vocalist. Death is always unexpected, isn't it?

What a voice…

The fantastic re-interpretation of Steve Hackett's signature instrumental "Spectral Mornings":

Recommended for fans of the pastoral aspects of Genesis: Big Big Train's "The Underfall Yard", the double album "English Electric" and the trilogy consisting of "Folklore", "Grimspound" and "The Second Brightest Star".

Liutprand
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:04 am 

Is there any "best prog metal album of all times" list somewhere that you think is worth cheking? Or do you have one?
I know nothing about good prog metal exept some classics that I enjoy a lot.

ljjnico
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:45 am 

This particular song is bordering on black and progressive metal with a little hint of post-punk
Recommended for fans of Akercocke/The Antichrist Imperium (David Gray and Sam Loynes being members of those bands and Voices guitarist/vocalist Peter Benjamin a former member of Akercocke), Joy Division, Killing Joke, Ihsahn, Emperor and Celtic Frost.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:18 pm 

ljjnico wrote:

This particular song is bordering on black and progressive metal with a little hint of post-punk
Recommended for fans of Akercocke/The Antichrist Imperium (David Gray and Sam Loynes being members of those bands and Voices guitarist/vocalist Peter Benjamin a former member of Akercocke), Joy Division, Killing Joke, Ihsahn, Emperor and Celtic Frost.

Interesting. I dig it.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:34 pm 

Anyone got some pointers for how to start with Porcupine tree? If you can, just walk me through their discography. What's considered their best albums, or their worst? Where are there switches from their usual style?

Coastliner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:51 am 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
Anyone got some pointers for how to start with Porcupine tree? If you can, just walk me through their discography. What's considered their best albums, or their worst? Where are there switches from their usual style?

I'd say there were roughly three phases: the 'kid in a basement phase', the 'britpop 'n' jam phase' and the 'metal phase'.

Kid in a basement (Mr. Wilson playing around with all sorts of gadgets, including drum machines and devices that made his voice sound like he was high on helium; lots of Pink Floyd references):
Regular studio albums: On the Sunday of Life, Up the Downstair, The Sky moves Sideways

Britpop 'n' jam (Pink Floyd meet the Beatles – and Talk Talk, the originators of post rock):
Regular studio albums: Signify, Stupid Dream, Lightbulb Sun

Metal phase ('Metal' just means: Wilson was influenced by Opeth who in turn had been influenced by King Crimson; the Pink Floyd references and occasional poppy melodies were still there):
Regular studio albums: In Absentia, Deadwing, Fear of a Blank Planet, The Incident

Where to start? In Absentia and Deadwing are widely regarded as their peak. I'd simply start with In Absentia. It has everything. Just listen to this one album, and it tells you a few things about their earlier and later releases: Its atmospheric and poppy tendencies were more pronounced on the earlier albums, its metallic tendencies were more pronounced on their later albums. You can start your journey from there.

PS: The first phase probably wasn't for everyone, especially the debut, which was not much more than a demo. So I would ignore the first phase for the time being – with one exception: the 40 minute long improviation on Transmission IV recorded during the sessions for The Sky moves Sideways. It's just stunning and the best thing he recorded in those early years.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:24 pm 

^ Thank you, I liked In Absentia a lot. I guess I'll move forward from there.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:37 pm 

I need some folky progressive metal, the kind of thing you could put in a playlist with Opeth. The more artistic, the better.

I like clean passages and acoustic guitars, not to the point where it feels exaggerated though. Some death metal influence is also welcome.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:45 pm 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
I need some folky progressive metal, the kind of thing you could put in a playlist with Opeth. The more artistic, the better.

Green Carnation?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk7h1FD-D0o

Borknagar
Vintersorg

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:50 pm 

Opus wrote:
EvergreenSherbert wrote:

Green Carnation?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk7h1FD-D0o

Thanks for the quick response, they sound awesome!

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:01 pm 

Liutprand wrote:
Is there any "best prog metal album of all times" list somewhere that you think is worth cheking? Or do you have one?

This list is pretty comprehensive:

http://www.worshipmetal.com/features/th ... 80s-1990s/

Misty_Lake wrote:

Best prog metal from 2021? Stone Healer, Cynic, Kayo Dot, Paranorm, Witherfall, Subterranean Masquerade, etc. all put out strong albums.

Need's Norchestrion: A Song for the End is also highly rated but I haven't heard it.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:21 pm 

Is anyone familiar with The Mars Volta's discography and willing to give a summary? I know they're some kind of prog rock band, but does their style differ between albums?

~Guest 1392546
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:29 pm 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
Liutprand wrote:

This list is pretty comprehensive:

http://www.worshipmetal.com/features/th ... 80s-1990s/

Misty_Lake wrote:

Best prog metal from 2021? Stone Healer, Cynic, Kayo Dot, Paranorm, Witherfall, Subterranean Masquerade, etc. all put out strong albums.

Need's Norchestrion: A Song for the End is also highly rated but I haven't heard it.

100% agree with Subterranean Masquerade, easily my AOTY and THE prog album of 2021 (in which there was not a lot of good prog).

~Guest 1392546
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:49 pm 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:

I like clean passages and acoustic guitars, not to the point where it feels exaggerated though. Some death metal influence is also welcome.

Obsidian Tide (Pillars of Creation, and Debris) is perfect for you!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr6CI_fUN ... b4&index=7

Subterranean Masquerade (Mountain Fever)
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D0WbqK29AF ... Ln&index=8

Orphaned Land (Mabool, Sahara, and El Norra Alila)
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QbSjdzBK_s ... SX&index=2
Listen to "Sahara" for more Morningrise-era Opeth

Wilderun, of course (Veil of Imagination, and Epigone)
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WlBoRD1g4M ... SV&index=6

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 10:17 pm 

^ I'm a bit late to reply to this, but these bands sound good overall, thought some sound a bit too much like Opeth. I'll explore them more deeply though.

Forgive me for my frequent posting, I have one more prog rock/metal request. Does anyone know a band that leans more into jazz elements than traditional prog bands?

LilTito
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 11:18 pm 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
^ I'm a bit late to reply to this, but these bands sound good overall, thought some sound a bit too much like Opeth. I'll explore them more deeply though.

Forgive me for my frequent posting, I have one more prog rock/metal request. Does anyone know a band that leans more into jazz elements than traditional prog bands?

Off the top of my head..

Ephel Duath is straight up jazz metal.

Vuvr - Pilgrimage is death metal and fusion basically

Maybe some early Candiria

On the extreme side of metal, Imperial triumphant is a mix of black/death metal, avantgarde, free/apocalyptic jazz etc

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 11:44 pm 

LilTito wrote:
EvergreenSherbert wrote:

Off the top of my head..

On the extreme side of metal, Imperial triumphant is a mix of black/death metal, avantgarde, free/apocalyptic jazz etc

These all sound great! I already knew Imperial Triumphant, I don't know why I haven't already listened to them.

LilTito
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 3:38 am 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
LilTito wrote:
EvergreenSherbert wrote:

Off the top of my head..

These all sound great! I already knew Imperial Triumphant, I don't know why I haven't already listened to them.

Glad you like it :)

Octopus_4
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:37 am 

Hi, I'm not a frequent guest here. What's the process to submit new artists on this site? Yesterday I have met this guy and I think his stuff can be interesting:

https://hyperurania.bandcamp.com/album/ ... per-urania

iRaptr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:39 pm 

Got any suggestions for Prog Metal with vocals similar to Evergrey's?
Vocals with a deeper voice (can't say the exact words in English!)

Ryuzen
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:00 am 

Eternal Unity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:47 am 

Hi, guys,

I'm looking for the name of a song and the band that recorded that song.

The description: 9:37 playing time, 2 really cool solos at the end, the lyrics begin - "In the kings I saw you, I liked you, you're cold"

Help is appreciated,
Greg.
Rejoin my soul with thine

ncroker
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:12 am 

Here are my recommendations.

Meshuggah
Opeth
and Havohej

Meshuggah is a djent/progressive metalcore band, Opeth is a progressive death metal band and havohej plays experimental/progressive black metal.

hope this helps.

Dornseax
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:09 pm 

Hi.
Now, I'm looking for progressive/symphonic stuff in vein of "Gutter Ballet" by Savatage and "Operation: Mindcrime" by Queensryche. More or less metal that incorporates symphonic elements in a similar way to the way prog rock bands like King Crimson do. That is to say metal that sounds like an actual opera instead of just melodeath or power metal with synths tacked on.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:45 am 

Dornseax wrote:
Hi.
Now, I'm looking for progressive/symphonic stuff in vein of "Gutter Ballet" by Savatage and "Operation: Mindcrime" by Queensryche. More or less metal that incorporates symphonic elements in a similar way to the way prog rock bands like King Crimson do. That is to say metal that sounds like an actual opera instead of just melodeath or power metal with synths tacked on.

crimson glory, lord bane, house of spirits, secrecy (the german one)...

///

this came out today and I am listening on bandcamp and liking it: https://vass-katsionis.bandcamp.com/alb ... al-silence

for fans of 90s fates warning, etc.

godsofthesun
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:35 am 

I find it deeply depressing that this is the least popular thread on here.

As for news: Planet X recently remastered (done by Simon Phillips) and re-released all of their albums. The albums sound absolutely amazing and still very fresh which is crazy that almost no one has done anything similar in 20 years.

LVB
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:45 pm 

Anything as catchy and musical sounding as Scardust Strangers album?

Merrick1
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:36 am 

rexxz wrote:
metroplex wrote:
is tech-thrash considered proggressive? eg Watchtower

I'd say Watchtower is fairly progressive thrash, as is Mekong Delta. However being technical is not necessarily progressive. For instance I would never call Necrophagist progressive death metal.

That is a valid issue. While technological mastery can be associated with progressivism and it is not a defining feature. Genre classification relies heavily on context and musical qualities such as invention and innovation.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23