Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Acidchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:49 am 

EntilZha wrote:
Is there any prog metal that's like a metal version of Tool? Or generally just prog metal with a generally brooding, "introverted" atmosphere, not too high pitched vocals and not much fumbling on the higher strings/shredding and not being too 70s-ish/prog rock sounding...

Not metal, but you might like the album Fear of a Blank Planet by Porcupine Tree quite a bit.

AWESOME BRUTAL DEATH METAL
CHECK IT OUT

Einherjar87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:00 pm 

All prog metal sucks.

EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:49 pm 

:lol: Acidchrist, that definitely wasn't it. Listening to it now and I'm sure not liking it quite a bit.

I must say it reminds me a bit of Opeth, though it isn't near as bad. I'm not hating this, but I'm not liking it either.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:52 pm 

I don't really listen to Tool at all but I'd go out on a limb and suggest to you the band Dark Suns, at least that's what your description reminds me of. I only own their album Existence, however.

KingVold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:18 pm 

Okay, I know essentially Nil about prog-metal. Being in such a state, I would appreciate it if you guys could rec me a few albums to start with.

AppleQueso wrote:
Acidgobblin wrote:
I refuse to listen to a genre using an onamatapoeiac descriptor.

Motion to change "Death Metal" to "EEURRRGHHH"

MasqueOfTheRedDeath
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:08 am 

I'm looking for something like Into Eternity, Be'lakor or Disillusion. Can anyone help me out? Preferably a band with a good death growl.

MasqueOfTheRedDeath
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:11 am 

KingVold wrote:
Okay, I know essentially Nil about prog-metal. Being in such a state, I would appreciate it if you guys could rec me a few albums to start with.

Try Buried in Oblivion by Into Eternity, Stone's Reach by Be'lakor, and Back to Times of Splendor by Disillusion.

KingVold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:42 pm 

MasqueOfTheRedDeath wrote:
KingVold wrote:

Try Buried in Oblivion by Into Eternity, Stone's Reach by Be'lakor, and Back to Times of Splendor by Disillusion.

Thank you.

AppleQueso wrote:
Acidgobblin wrote:
I refuse to listen to a genre using an onamatapoeiac descriptor.

Motion to change "Death Metal" to "EEURRRGHHH"

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:11 pm 

KingVold wrote:

Here are some great albums to get you started. I've included the specific subgenre in parenthesis.

Conception - In Your Multitude (prog power)
Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (prog power)
Fates Warning - Disconnected (prog)
Redemption - The Origins of Ruin (prog power)
Toxik - Think This (prog thrash)
Animals as Leaders - Animals as Leaders (instrumental prog)
ARK - Burn the Sun (prog)
Watchtower - Control and Resistance (prog thrash)

TheGreatDuck
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:40 pm 

Sorry if this was already answered before,but I don't have the time to read through the whole thread.
I have Queensryches s/t EP and The Warning album,and have also heard some tracks from Mindcrime,so Ill also get that one too.However,Ive heard they've done some pretty bad stuff as well,so what other albums would you recommend me,and which ones should I avoid?

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:54 pm 

TheGreatDuck wrote:
Sorry if this was already answered before,but I don't have the time to read through the whole thread.
I have Queensryches s/t EP and The Warning album,and have also heard some tracks from Mindcrime,so Ill also get that one too.However,Ive heard they've done some pretty bad stuff as well,so what other albums would you recommend me,and which ones should I avoid?

Everything after Empire is crap.

Edit: And Empire really isn't that good, either.

IronTusk704
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:44 am 

I'm looking for something like Precambrian era The Ocean

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:30 am 

the Ocean.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:22 pm 

Can anyone recommend something similar in style to Redemption's debut album, but preferably without the Christian lyrics?

Rottenrectum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 6:10 pm 

I'm just getting into progressive metal now since I discovered Dream Theaters album Images And Words. Since then I've looking up their other albums and also discovered Shadow Gallery, Pagan's Mind and also started listening to Opeth and Edge Of Sanity.
Any particular important bands/albums in the genre I should look into?

darkdead wrote:
I have still quarrelling the musician.

iriki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 7:13 pm 

Circus Maximus (you can start with Isolate)
Kalisia
Dan Swano
Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime (More NWOBHM oriented)
To-Mera
Ark
Fates Warning
Symphony X

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:46 pm 

iriki wrote:
Fates Warning

More specifically A Pleasant Shade of Grey and Disconnected, which are pretty much their only albums purely in the progressive metal vein. Watchtower (especially Control & Resistance) is also obligatory for being the genre's granddaddy.

yogibear
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:53 pm 

rate your music:

http://rateyourmusic.com/customchart?pa ... countries=

Rottenrectum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:07 pm 

yogibear wrote:

Cool, I've never used that site before actually, I'll start crossing off that list.

darkdead wrote:

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:09 pm 

Rottenrectum wrote:
I'm just getting into progressive metal now since I discovered Dream Theaters album Images And Words. Since then I've looking up their other albums and also discovered Shadow Gallery, Pagan's Mind and also started listening to Opeth and Edge Of Sanity.

The Spectre Within and Awaken the Guardian by Fates Warning, while not strictly progressive metal (more like proto-progressive power metal) are absolute essentials. If you haven't heard them already, you need to.

Rottenrectum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:36 pm 

Oblarg wrote:
Rottenrectum wrote:

The Spectre Within and Awaken the Guardian by Fates Warning, while not strictly progressive metal (more like proto-progressive power metal) are absolute essentials. If you haven't heard them already, you need to.

I've tried those before but I couldn't stand the vocals.

darkdead wrote:

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:38 pm 

Rottenrectum wrote:
Oblarg wrote:
Rottenrectum wrote:

I can see why some people wouldn't like John Arch's vocals, but really, they're very impressive, especially in the technical sense. Those vocal lines are really complex.

Rottenrectum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:46 pm 

Oblarg wrote:
Rottenrectum wrote:
Oblarg wrote:
Rottenrectum wrote:

I can see why some people wouldn't like John Arch's vocals, but really, they're very impressive, especially in the technical sense. Those vocal lines are really complex.

I know, that's exactly what puts me off. It's impressive, but it doesn't sound good in my ears.

darkdead wrote:

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:47 pm 

Rottenrectum wrote:
Oblarg wrote:
Rottenrectum wrote:
Oblarg wrote:
Rottenrectum wrote:

I know, that's exactly what puts me off. It's impressive, but it doesn't sound good in my ears.

Initially, I didn't like his voice all that much either (though I didn't particularly dislike it, either). It grew on me pretty quickly, though.

Whackooyzero
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:56 pm 

Oblarg wrote:
Rottenrectum wrote:
Oblarg wrote:
Rottenrectum wrote:
Oblarg wrote:
Rottenrectum wrote:

Initially, I didn't like his voice all that much either (though I didn't particularly dislike it, either). It grew on me pretty quickly, though.

Yeah, I've never heard of anyone who immediately loved Arch's vocals or melodies. But trust me, give it some time and it's likely you'll learn to love it.

Eurnonymous on Eparistera Daimones wrote:
rumor has it that Tom Warrior's massive guitar tone on this album has been the cause of all the major earthquakes happening worldwide.

Rottenrectum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:02 pm 

Alright I'll give them another chance, I do like the music.

darkdead wrote:

SJDJ
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:56 pm 

Pyramaze. I am looking at songs to start with this band. I heard they are great but the two times I have tried them out I have had difficulty getting into them. I have yet to hear that one song that made me say Wow yet. What are some of your guys' favorite songs from Pyramaze (Dnk)?

Thanks in advance

Back when my masturbating to 13 year old girls wasn't considered perverse.

SoundsOfADeadman
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:18 pm 

Last Chance To Reason

www.myspace.com/lastchancetoreason

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:24 pm 

SJDJ wrote:
Pyramaze. I am looking at songs to start with this band. I heard they are great but the two times I have tried them out I have had difficulty getting into them. I have yet to hear that one song that made me say Wow yet. What are some of your guys' favorite songs from Pyramaze (Dnk)?

Thanks in advance

Do not look further into them, they are a complete waste of time. Try Fool's Game and Pharaoh instead, and Tad Morose.

HollowedGround
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:27 pm 

I'm looking for anything that's in a similar vein to Operation: Mindcrime. Similar style, story, both, whatever.

macrocosm wrote:
"You only like metal because you want to suck another mans penis"

SkullfulOfSludge
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:59 am 

Is there any awesome progressive black metal? (preferably something that doesn't sound like Dream Theater)

Rottenrectum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:41 am 

SkullfulOfSludge wrote:
Is there any awesome progressive black metal? (preferably something that doesn't sound like Dream Theater)

The little I've heard of Ihsahn is pretty cool, otherwise I recommend Farsot, Imperium Dekadenz and In Lingua Mortua

darkdead wrote:

Browncoat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:23 pm 

SkullfulOfSludge wrote:

You probably already know them, but Enslaved's later albums, from "Below the Lights" on, mix some black metal elements with elements from both classic and modern prog.

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:33 am 

I know this isn't the promotion forum, but my band "Samandriel" is going to be releasing our debut EP in August and we've just put up a couple tunes from the disk on myspace, fully mastered and such.

http://www.myspace.com/samandriel

The band is power metal in a modern, european style but we have some progressive elements (from a heavy Fates Warning and Rush influence) and feature an operatic, female vocalist. Fans of Nightwish, Epica, Kamelot, Blind Guardian, Fates Warning and that kind of stuff will probably get a kick out of this stuff. This isn't really heavy-duty progressive stuff, but there is certainly and element and our music is directed primarily at fans of prog and power metal. I'd like to hear any opinions from you guys about the tunes we've got up, whether you post them here or send them in a PM to me.

Cheers!
Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:08 pm 

I'm looking for a progressive metal album in the vein of Queensryche's Promised Land, Fates Warning's A Pleasant Shade of Grey and Disconnected, and some of Pain of Salvation's darker material. Basically a very polished and "empty" production with a sort of minimalist song-writing ideal to it, and keyboards used almost exclusively in the more atmosphere-creating electronic vein ala OSI's debut, if at all. No flashy guitar solos, endless power/prog/thrash chugging riffs, etc. Progressive metal for listening to late at night to give my full attention.

I'm familiar with Porcupine Tree and Wolverine and while they generally fit the mood of what I'm looking for, I don't care for them. If I haven't mentioned the band and they seem similar to what I'm looking for (Dream Theater, Pagan's Mind, and Symphony X are what I'm not) don't hesitate to mention them because I don't know the genre all that well.

EDIT: Technically Opeth's Damnation has what I'm looking for as well, but I'm not a fan.

Misty_Lake
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:59 pm 

Kalisia would be my favorite band if they wrote albums, more then just that amazing one. Who knows, hopefully they will write more.

I hate Dream Theater, but I love Arcturus, Kalisia, and Empyrean Sky. If anyone knows anything with intelligent songwriting, intelligible lyrics, atmosphere, good musicianship, electronics/synths/keys, both harshe and clean vocals, a blend of acoustic guitar and electric.

The only band to really fit this criteria so far is Kalisia and Dan Swano's 'Moontower'. I like mathematicalness too and a good blend of electronics or genre crossovers.

I know this is a really picky criteria but if anything comes close let me know. I don't like Symphony X, Angra, Opeth, Dream Theater, etc..

magniloth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:18 pm 

I want post-2000 prog that has riffs. Stuff like Redemption's The Fullness of Time or DGM - Misplaced?

Fast prog / prog / power that has a lot of guitar is what I want.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:20 pm 

Have you tried DGM- Different Shapes? I'm not sure if this is the riffs you're looking for, but check it out anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc4KtxltAD8

magniloth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:36 am 

Aye, I have.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:15 pm 

To be honest, prog metal is something I'm not well versed in (yet), so you may very well know these too.

Here's Methodica, a band I found through the "random band" button. Their album is pretty damn fine if you ask me (apologies for the crummy youtube quality):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJq4eU41rTE

Exivious (awesome instrumental prog band)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC85wjphKtA

Echidna (prog thrash/death, awesome riffs here)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ5CqCr0Cy4

Carcariass (prog death with riffs all over the gaff. Even if death metal isn't your thing, this album is not only half made up of instrumentals, but as a bonus, it also has instrumental versions of the other half)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYBgVN89 ... re=related

Also, these guys maybe?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJSZUSBXH7E

I'm not sure what kind of riffs you're going for, so hopefully at least one of them will stick.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 23  Next