Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Gorz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:07 am 

Heil,
can you recommend anything similar to what I'm hearing here. mathematical or psych progressive or whatever it is called:

splyu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 6:55 pm 

Sweet stuff. You might like Canvas Solaris. Not quite as heavy though.

flightoficarus86
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:36 am 

shameless self-promotion

Last edited by iamntbatman on Sat May 23, 2015 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
read my blog!

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:21 pm 

Been on an Anti-Depressive Delivery kick lately. Their first album is far more metal, and it's some great stuff, but their next two are divine prog-rock albums. You can hear all sorts of influences from 60s/70s bands, mixed and mashed together while still sounding very unique. And their lyrics can be quite amusing, too. I don't know why these guys aren't well-known in the prog community.

Spoiler: show

Song from each album.

Well, I’m glad to see you for who you really are.

Korpsegrinder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:20 am 

Can someone recommend any hammond-heavy prog bands? Similar to Bodkin, Uriah Heep (yeah, not really prog but close), Cressida, early Yes, some Camel songs, Eloy, Birth Control, Still Life, Rare Bird etc. Preferably it could be used as much as Bodkin did but less is ok too :)

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:37 pm 

Hi guys, looking for something similar to Ne Obliviscaris output. Wanting some extreme progressive stuff, but with good atmosphere if possible. Totally new to this style and don't want any vocals close to deathcore and not too much clean singing! Thanks
Edit: ive checked the similar artists page, but nothing is even close to that style..

Blizk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:17 pm 

Dooders wrote:
Hi guys, looking for something similar to Ne Obliviscaris output. Wanting some extreme progressive stuff, but with good atmosphere if possible. Totally new to this style and don't want any vocals close to deathcore and not too much clean singing! Thanks

Some technical death metal bands could be what you're looking for, but I'm not well versed in that department. NeO's use of violin and classical elements is sort of defining so it's hard.

napacione
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:12 am 

Ardent Sky as I have my bandcamp profile up if you want some cool stuff as Empyrean Sky has a new track he did for his son. If I got the link wrong on here; see the page for the right link.
Am I Making This Up?; article weighing in on a cyber-vangelist featuring a Reverbnation Playlist from a band I did a show with. Grigori 3. Tabloid Journalist; more like a Weird Historian/Publisher. This along with A Publisher's Confessional *play nice*

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:31 pm 

Korpsegrinder wrote:
Can someone recommend any hammond-heavy prog bands? Similar to Bodkin, Uriah Heep (yeah, not really prog but close), Cressida, early Yes, some Camel songs, Eloy, Birth Control, Still Life, Rare Bird etc. Preferably it could be used as much as Bodkin did but less is ok too :)

Greenslade? First two albums have great keys, there's some righteous Hammond work on there.

Gastjale
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:35 am 

Seconding Greenslade. I suppose the project is usually regarded as second-tier prog or deemed something unremarkable, but I find their first two albums both intriguing and enjoyable from every viewpoint. They have some of the mellowness of Canterbury scene bands, but also some of sense of mystery and wonder that is ubiquitous in the best works of Van der Graaf Generator and Genesis, to name a couple of obvious examples.

Speaking of VdGG, if you didn't include them in your list because of being unaware of them, do yourself a favour and give Godbluff a try. It's not their best work, but it's the album where Hammill's vision seems to be the most concise. And lord-love-a-duck if it isn't filled with thrilling layers of Hammond.

Another band I'd strongly recommend is Khan, of the Canterbury fame. Dave Stewart will instantly turn you into a faithful acolyte of his. The music is fairly riff-driven at some points as well, and I suppose that is a plus, considering the board.

EDIT: Listening to Still Life the band at the moment, and it came to me that you might also enjoy Egg. Try "The Polite Force" for starters.

Last edited by Gastjale on Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:25 am 

Yeah Khan are great, Steve Hillage rips it up on Space Shanty.

Ancient_Mariner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:55 pm 

Any recommendations as to prog metal that is more Court of the Crimson King than "technical metal" ala Dream Theater? When I listen to stuff like that I frequently find myself thinking I should just put some early Rush on.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:24 pm 

Ancient_Mariner wrote:
Any recommendations as to prog metal that is more Court of the Crimson King than "technical metal" ala Dream Theater? When I listen to stuff like that I frequently find myself thinking I should just put some early Rush on.

What about PSYCHOTIC WALTZ or DEPRESSIVE AGE's first albums?

lindavv
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:40 am 

Is anyone familiar with Sunpocrisy? I'd love to listen to some similar, very atmospheric bands.

Preferably melodic music, a mix of clean and death-style vocals, though-provoking lyrics.

Korpsegrinder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:53 am 

Gastjale wrote:
Seconding Greenslade. I suppose the project is usually regarded as second-tier prog or deemed something unremarkable, but I find their first two albums both intriguing and enjoyable from every viewpoint. They have some of the mellowness of Canterbury scene bands, but also some of sense of mystery and wonder that is ubiquitous in the best works of Van der Graaf Generator and Genesis, to name a couple of obvious examples.

Speaking of VdGG, if you didn't include them in your list because of being unaware of them, do yourself a favour and give Godbluff a try. It's not their best work, but it's the album where Hammill's vision seems to be the most concise. And lord-love-a-duck if it isn't filled with thrilling layers of Hammond.

Another band I'd strongly recommend is Khan, of the Canterbury fame. Dave Stewart will instantly turn you into a faithful acolyte of his. The music is fairly riff-driven at some points as well, and I suppose that is a plus, considering the board.

EDIT: Listening to Still Life the band at the moment, and it came to me that you might also enjoy Egg. Try "The Polite Force" for starters.

Egg is awesome, I haven't found their debut anywhere but Egg, The Polite Force and Civil Surface are all nice! VdGG is known to be but I forgot to mention it, Godbluff is already familiar to me but thanks :).

Besides those, Khan and Greenslade are brilliant too. I guess you can't go wrong with hammonds.

osborn89419
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:51 am 

Dooders wrote:
Edit: ive checked the similar artists page, but nothing is even close to that style..

Loch Vostok and Persefone come to mind.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:07 am 

Anyone familiar with Brothers Grimm's Helm's Deep? Really insane puzzling progressive metal that's just out of this world. Sort of like late 80's Fates Warning on crack.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:40 am 

colin040 wrote:
Anyone familiar with Brothers Grimm's Helm's Deep?

I am now. :)

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:52 pm 

Yeah, they were pretty ahead of their time. Apparently Spiral Architect's bassist went to the same music school that some of the Brothers Grimm guys did, and was influenced by them. Weird how they were so obscure.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:44 pm 

Yeah Brothers Grimm are super rad, I think I found out about them through some obscure name drop you made awhile back, HamburgerBoy, cheers! I'm planning to churn out a review one of these days, but it's just so dense and out there I haven't quite gotten to a point where I feel I can do it justice. A shame not too many people are into them, I tried to promote them in the heavy/power/speed thread without much luck, glad we've got a couple more followers here now!

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:29 pm 

Here's something cool I've discovered recently. The vocalist pulls off some great Hansi Kursch-esque rasp later in the track.

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:29 pm 

I just reviewed that EP the other day on RYM, really good stuff. In a way it's almost more prog in aesthetic than songwriting, but I like that.

~Guest 277521
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:54 am 

I've been on another King Crimson/Robert Fripp kick recently. Any rock or metal bands that can even approach their bizarre greatness? Except for Anekdoten, I can't think of that many bands that went the Crimson way.

Gastjale
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:46 am 

maladie wrote:
I've been on another King Crimson/Robert Fripp kick recently. Any rock or metal bands that can even approach their bizarre greatness? Except for Anekdoten, I can't think of that many bands that went the Crimson way.

You should be a bit more precise with the request as King Crimson have a very varied discography. Which albums especially? And what do you mean with 'the Crimson way'? The only way I could make sense of it is to presume you want bands whose style changes considerably from album to album (even if the evolutionary steps of KC wasn't always drastic).

Now, I didn't came here to reprimand you or to state that I know everything about our devious court jesters. Might as well give you a recommendation, even though it might be a bit off, given the nature of the request.

What we have here is a stellar piece of Italian prog, which isn't strictly similar to any King Crimson album, but it does have tricky rock parts as well as mellotron-laden passages of solemnity. If you happen to like the band, I'd also suggest you to check out Il Balletto di Bronzo's sole effort: Ys.

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:36 pm 

Bi Kyo Ran is excellent heavy, guitar-driven prog in the Red/Larks Tongue vein.

~Guest 277521
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:08 pm 

Gastjale wrote:
maladie wrote:

You should be a bit more precise with the request as King Crimson have a very varied discography. Which albums especially? And what do you mean with 'the Crimson way'? The only way I could make sense of it is to presume you want bands whose style changes considerably from album to album (even if the evolutionary steps of KC wasn't always drastic).

Now, I didn't came here to reprimand you or to state that I know everything about our devious court jesters. Might as well give you a recommendation, even though it might be a bit off, given the nature of the request.

What we have here is a stellar piece of Italian prog, which isn't strictly similar to any King Crimson album, but it does have tricky rock parts as well as mellotron-laden passages of solemnity. If you happen to like the band, I'd also suggest you to check out Il Balletto di Bronzo's sole effort: Ys.

Yeah I guess that was too general, although to me King Crimson has always been more about not an exact style but daring to explore things, Fripp's riffing style also plays a big role. My fav albums have always been Discipline, Larks' Tongue In Aspic, Island and In the Wake of Poseidon. The only album by them that never really did anything for me is Three of a Perfect Pair.

Listening to your link right now, sounds very promising. I'll have to listen to it a few times for it to sink it but I'll definitely check out what you named. Never really went into the Italian scene much for some reaosn.

Ass Thrash
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:15 pm 

I've been getting into more thrash lately, can I get some recommendations similar to Megadeth and Annihilator, with long instrumental sections and solos and stuff? Overkill is pretty cool too, but I'm not a fan of the vocals.

EDIT: sorry wrong thread

Last edited by Ass Thrash on Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:21 pm 

Ass Thrash wrote:
I've been getting into more thrash lately, can I get some recommendations similar to Megadeth and Annihilator, with long instrumental sections and solos and stuff? Overkill is pretty cool too, but I'm not a fan of the vocals.

Wrong thread. Try this one....
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=38267

Like your reviews?

Roffle_the_Thrashard
Thrash Slinging Slasher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:17 am 

Anyone know of any bands that sound like the one in the link below? The band, A Thousand Dead, is an extremely technical progressive metal band with death metal and jazz fusion influences.

http://athousanddead.com/album/portals

gomorro
Too Slow to Owl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:07 am 

Aydross wrote:
I've been listening to Riverside's Second Life Syndrome and I'm enjoying it. I wanted to know your opinion on the band, and perhaps albums recommendations if you have.

Mariusz Duda is one hell of a composer I would recomend you Out of myself or Rapid eye movement... Is just amazing how they take out guitar's protagonism and just blend it in the song with a light yet perfect structure. Last album is pretty melodic yet very pleasent too.

~Guest 277521
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:43 pm 

This thread really needs to be revived, it's sad to see so little love for prog here on MA.

Spent most of the day listening to prog starting off with Marillion's Sounds That Can't Be Made which I really like even though many people thought it was only average.

Any top albums for 2015 in prog for you guys? I quite liked Underworld by Symphony X, Ne Obliviscaris Hiraeth and Steve Hackett's Wolflight. I was however very disappointed by the last Steven Wilson album, it's well made but just doesn't stick with me. The last Neal Morse album is also complete trash except for a few enjoyable moments.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:56 pm 

Dark Quarterer's Ithaca is very strong, the band can't really do wrong it seems, great progressive epic heavy metal with a ton of variety and Gianni Nepi sounds like he hasn't aged at all since the debut almost 30 years ago. Codex's The Peace Paradox also seems pretty good, they focus a lot on unusual rhythms, but the style is clearly more of an oldschool heavy/power metal type, rather than modern prog, pretty cool stuff and the vocalist is good too, sounds like the guy from Terminus.

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

Blizk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:07 am 

maladie wrote:
Any top albums for 2015 in prog for you guys?

My favourite album from last year that's all prog metal would be False Lights by Pressure Points. I'll also mention Wilderun's excellent Sleep at the Edge of the Earth, plenty of prog leanings in their folk metal base. Chaos Divine's Colliding Skies is solid as well.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:53 pm 

Zierler's ESC was the best prog album I heard. That was really excellent - truly vibrant, surprising, heavy and exciting music. Kelly Carpenter's vocals are exemplary, Zierler's songwriting and keys are as unusual and creepy as ever, and every song is great.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:41 am 

Psyco Drama's "From Ashes To Wings" is very solid. Great guitar work in a late Fates Warning vibe with really well-developed long songs.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:12 am 

HamburgerBoy wrote:
I'm looking for a progressive metal album in the vein of Queensryche's Promised Land, Fates Warning's A Pleasant Shade of Grey and Disconnected, and some of Pain of Salvation's darker material. Basically a very polished and "empty" production with a sort of minimalist song-writing ideal to it, and keyboards used almost exclusively in the more atmosphere-creating electronic vein ala OSI's debut, if at all. No flashy guitar solos, endless power/prog/thrash chugging riffs, etc. Progressive metal for listening to late at night to give my full attention.

I'm familiar with Porcupine Tree and Wolverine and while they generally fit the mood of what I'm looking for, I don't care for them. If I haven't mentioned the band and they seem similar to what I'm looking for (Dream Theater, Pagan's Mind, and Symphony X are what I'm not) don't hesitate to mention them because I don't know the genre all that well.

EDIT: Technically Opeth's Damnation has what I'm looking for as well, but I'm not a fan.

Sieges Even - The Art of Navigating by the Stars. Very, very melancholic album but it has a distinct feeling of CLASS. Nothing like their early Watchtower-y albums. Not as dark as FW, it has a bittersweet element to it, I'd say. Very much worth it though.

A Sense of Change is also very different from their first two. Very, very, very unique and ambitious album.

I was just browsing through this this thread and I think Sieges Even was not represented enough...

I should also add my voice to those who are recommending Psychotic Waltz but I have to say that I am surprised Into the Everflow does not get mentioned much. I think it is their best album (11/10 actually, A Social Grace is a mere 10!) and one of the best prog metal bands ever. Buddy Lackey is one of the greatest performers. Crazy beautiful vocal lines.

And someone said he would like some keyboard driven prog, no idea who or when but this immediately came to mind:

Soul Cages - Falling

And since I'm here, here's a cool prog/power tune from Italy with a lovely keyboard solo:
Zen - Invisible Horizon

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

DreamOfMirrors
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:35 pm 

I'm pretty new to progressive metal as I've only heard complete songs from Wuthering Heights and Anubis Gates so I'm looking for some progressive music to help me get into the genre. I want something atmospheric that gives you the sense of being in another place. Folk elements like Wuthering Heights get my attention. Synth or keyboards are fine but should just be a backing instrument. A clean vocalist with a great range is what I'm looking for in terms of singing. I absolutely do not want anyone screaming in my ear. (I'd also like lyrics relating to humans and that such but that's optional.) Thanks!

Baroque1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 11:48 pm 

I'm looking for Extreme progressive metal along the lines of:

Ansur
Ne Obliviscaris
Xanthochroid
later Death
Atheist
Pestilence - Spheres
Dissonance
Vektor's latest

Doesn't have to have jazz elements but that's a plus. Basically any very progressive metal with harsh vocals that sounds good. By progressive I mean long songs with lots of changes in styles, riffs, and rhythms. Some oddball stuff is fun, like random bluegrass or violins or synths. Any kind of random creativeness like that, but with harsh vocals. Thanks.

Insin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 2:05 am 

Baroque1 wrote:
I'm looking for Extreme progressive metal along the lines of:

Ansur
Ne Obliviscaris
Xanthochroid
later Death
Atheist
Pestilence - Spheres
Dissonance
Vektor's latest

Doesn't have to have jazz elements but that's a plus. Basically any very progressive metal with harsh vocals that sounds good. By progressive I mean long songs with lots of changes in styles, riffs, and rhythms. Some oddball stuff is fun, like random bluegrass or violins or synths. Any kind of random creativeness like that, but with harsh vocals. Thanks.

Here's some stuff that I just found in my library and it seems like the type of thing you're looking for. MA's similar artists feature is also a great tool, by the way.

Tribulation - Swedish death/black metal with a prog/psychedelic side
Ephel Duath (especially the album Painter's Palette) - fuses jazz and metal quite well
Supermassive Black Holes - a more obscure band, sounds kind of like Between the Buried and Me except more focus on jazz
Ihsahn (from Emperor)'s solo works
Gorguts
Coroner
Cynic
Damcyan - another more underground band, wouldn't really consider them prog but they have a bit of that feel, and they're definitely extreme metal.

Hope I helped!

omnishadow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 1:17 am 

Progressive death/black, as if Opeth(3rd album)/early Drudkh/Burzum decided to play later Death, or Be´Lakor? Any bands playing something similar?

Really enjoying this band. The debut is also great http://morna.bandcamp.com/releases

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 23  Next