Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:53 am 

Paka01 wrote:
Are there any good new, young metal bands (formed in the past 7-8 years) that play classic prog metal? Something in the vein of Dream Theater, Symphony X, Shadow Gallery, Pain of Salvation, etc... So nothing with death growls and harsh vocals, nothing rooted in djent, metalcore or similar.

Threshold?

Opus
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:42 am 

Formed in:1988

Hellbeast11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:27 am 

Paka01 wrote:
Are there any good new, young metal bands (formed in the past 7-8 years) that play classic prog metal? Something in the vein of Dream Theater, Symphony X, Shadow Gallery, Pain of Salvation, etc... So nothing with death growls and harsh vocals, nothing rooted in djent, metalcore or similar.

Odd Dimension
Utopia - Mood Changes

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:32 am 

Opus wrote:
Formed in:1988

Missed the mark by a couple decades.

They are kinda modern sounding at least on their new albums though.

Morn Of Solace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:40 am 

Myrath maybe? They are 12 years old, but Tales of Sands it's a really interesting album

Paka01
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:43 pm 

I've listened Myrath before, they are great. I agree that Tales of the Sands is really good album.
Anyway, thanks for the help guys, there are some really interesting bands. Keep 'em coming!

marthasimons
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:41 am 

Disillusion - this band has already been mentioned but I just want to stress that they are really good. This is the only band that plays progressive music or at least I think so.

Thiestru
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:09 pm 

This band doesn't qualify as a new band, but, regardless, you should really check out Redemption's new album, 'A Long Night's Journey into Day'. Redemption has been around for a while, but the style on this album is definitely 'modern progressive metal', and is quite aggressive, which surprised me (I never cared much for these guys before this). So... go, enjoy!

If you're interested in hearing my music, it can be found here: http://thiestru.bandcamp.com. Wassail.

Gunslinger21
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:00 am 

Hey guys, I'm looking for any other music exactly like this, I don't know anything else like it-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy12TCuOE8E

TheConqueror1
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:16 pm 

Alright I've never listened to anything that is purely progressive metal and I would like to hear bands from the genre. Any recommendations? Hopefully this isn't a metal sin! By the way, If it's technical, I really wouldn't mind at all. I just don't know where to begin with the progressive metal genre which is why I'm seeking recs.
Our temple of denial

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:09 am 

Progressive metal (rock too for that matter) tends to have something as a base and then adds to that whether it's power, thrash, death, etc. I'm not sure prog with nothing else, "pure," can actually exist regardless of the labeling. I mean Dream Theater and Symphony X are a couple of big names that are regarded primarily as prog, but you could throw an extra term with either, and I believe this site does with the latter. If I remember correctly, you're more of a trad, heavy/power, etc guy, so I imagine recs that lean that way would be better for you. On that note try Slauter Xstroyes two albums. The production is a little thin on Winter Kill, but the variety of riffs and quality of songwriting is worth hearing. I suspect you've heard Psychotic Waltz, but if not do so. Arch/Matheos' Sympathetic Resonance was a pretty good prog album, far removed from classic Fates Warning in style.

Opus
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:38 am 

Gunslinger21 wrote:
Hey guys, I'm looking for any other music exactly like this, I don't know anything else like it-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy12TCuOE8E

I know nothing about electronic music, but I do know that this has nothing to do with progressive rock or metal. You'd have better luck asking in the general forum or perhaps the Industrial Metal Help Thread.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22