Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
rusofil
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:36 pm 

After so many years (around 13, I think) of sticking to some old, good symphonic/goth metal bands, I came to conclusion there's only few bands that are REALLY worth of listening to. I complained about it in my 2013 post (and much earlier too), I'm complaining now, in the end of 2019. But now I decided to move on (after finding out I won't find anything else I'd like to listen to, because 99% of symphonic metal bands sound the same and really childish to me). I still love symphonic music, so I looked around and laid my eyes on doom metal. Doom metal itself isn't my genre, so I found subgenre, gothic doom. I played few playlists on Youtube and well, while 1/10 songs is really good (there's delicacy of symphonic elements and there's growl and other sounds from hell), most of these sound just like mediocre gothic metal.
I randomly found Virgin Black and it's like, holy fuck, it's so fucking awesome! It's very symphonic and dark and this is what I needed. Also, Draconian, Estatic Fear, early Lacrimas Profundere and very early Anathema and The sins of thy beloved are very good.
Well, I hate random Google and Lastfm toplists (especially Lastfm after it was stripped of band similarity option) so I'm asking you. Based on what I already liked, can you give me other bands I'd like to listen to? I usually hate female fronted bands, as most of them sound the same, just like mediocre so called symphonic metal, but if there's something with powerful, female voices, I want it. But still I prefer male fronted bands.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:05 am 

It sounds like you might enjoy some music by My Dying Bride (early period is more doom death, mid is gothic doom, late mixes both), Funeral (especially later albums), My Silent Wake, Swallow the Sun, Tiamat (although later period is more rock than metal), and Blacksoul Serephim.

Those are all male-fronted bands with occasional female vocals, but you may also be interested in trying some female-fronted bands like Theatre of Tragedy, Madder Mortem, and The Gathering, which are well-known for less obvious attempts at gothic doom. (ToT and Gathering both moved away from doom later in their careers, so try the early albums first.)

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:00 am 

rusofil wrote:
and Lastfm toplists (especially Lastfm after it was stripped of band similarity option)

The similar artists option is still offered and working well on Lastfm...

To your specific request, I concur: MDB seems an obvious rec

I'll add:
Isenordal; it's like a lush mix of Kauan, Estatic Fear and Wolves in The Throne Room or something like that...
https://isenordal.bandcamp.com/album/shores-of-mourning

Inner Missing's Sentinel of the Murderer is a weird Gothic doomy album; the vocals need to get accustomed to, hard to swallow at first, but the operatic, gothic melodrama is still quite similar to the bleak bombast of a band like Virgin Black. It's a curious mix.
https://innermissing.bandcamp.com/album ... e-murderer

As for female fronted gothic, since you're still willing to try, I liked Symphonian first album very much , their sophomore isn't wotrht it though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shDzPBVopKk

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:23 am 

I highly recommend Visceral Evisceration. It's so strange and dark that you should listen to it, like, now!

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Vi ... ation/3026

raspberrysoda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:20 pm 

Type O Negative

stainedclass2112 wrote:
It was a joke you darn can of fizzy sweetened liquid

BastardHead wrote:
Somebody is getting murdered but poor razz just wants his beauty sleep.

Crescent_Moon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:05 pm 

Beseech,early Empyrium, Absent Silence, The Eternal, Negative Voice.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:03 pm 

(Virgin Black is indeed amazing and totally in a league of their own.)

I second My Silent Wake. They're really fantastic and while they don't have a bad album, I recommend starting with The Anatomy Of Melancholy, A Garland Of Tears, and their latest album There Was Death.

You might also like Forest Of Shadows, Morphia, Dusk, and Morgion. Enjoy!

Lane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:43 am 

Tristania from Norway... Especially their first two albums.

Reply to topic