Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
wigglygore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:16 am 

MOTGLchris wrote:
What are the stylistic differences between grindcore and goregrind?
Is it just lyrical, or is it something else?
(Please don't bash me, as I've heard little of either outside Napalm Death, Pig Destroyer, early Red Chord, and Cattle Decapitation)

Depends, goregrind has been one of those subgenres that has been stretched in a large manner of different directions. There are a lot of bands that are called goregrind, but all sound extremely different from one another.

I guess, you have your early Carcass, which either coined the term, or laid out a basic blueprint for others to build on and expand on (or blur) in many years to come. When i think of goregrind i usually think of downtuned, groove-orientated riffing, pitchshifted vocals and less use of blastbeats. But like i said earlier, the amount of styles of bands that exist under the goregrind monkier are quite vast.

Try comparing Carcass to Last Days Of Humanity. Try comparing General Surgery to Autophagia. Try comparing Haemmorhage to Blue Holocaust. Thats a small idea of how different bands in the genre can be.

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:02 am 

So, I searched for some "powerviolence torrents" and I'm currently downloading a 1GB pack with these bands.

Capitalist Casualties
Charles Bronson
Crom
Crossed Out
Fuck on the Beach
Infest
Lack of Interest
Man is the Bastard
No Comment
Spazz
The Locust

These bands any good? I want to make sure I'm not wasting time downloading this stuff.

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:10 am 

Ah Spazz.... not entirely my taste but classic for some people.
I loved the band Chris Dodge was doing before Spazz a LOT better...
Stikky with the legendary 'where's my lunchpail' LP

But if you like'm short and loud (some of the bands you also mentioned are featured on there as well), you just KNOW you have to get the following compilation:
Bllleeeeaaauuurrrrgghhh! - The Record on Slap-a-ham records

The part 2 (Son Of Bllleeeeaaauuurrrrgghhh!) and 3 (Bllleeeeaaauuurrrrgghhh! - A Music War) are also nice. Part 2 especially had some classics!

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:49 am 

Lol, judging from the name of the name of the compilation, it should be awesome :P

I'l check Chris Dodge's other band, Stikky is the name, right?

wigglygore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:32 am 

Thats a pretty safe download, seems to be a good variety of powerviolence there of the older variety. The Locust looks like a bit of a sore thumb in there though. Spazz are brilliant, Crush.Kill.Destroy is a ball of fun to listen to.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:09 pm 

Wet Pussy wrote:
These bands any good? I want to make sure I'm not wasting time downloading this stuff.

Crossed Out, Infest, Charles Bronson, and Spazz I'd consider essential powerviolence for anyone wanting to get a taste of the genre. The other bands are also quite good, though The Locust's later era stuff sounds quite different from their earlier, grindy sound, so keep that in mind if you ever decide to check into them more.

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:12 pm 

Wet Pussy wrote:
Lol, judging from the name of the name of the compilation, it should be awesome :P

I'l check Chris Dodge's other band, Stikky is the name, right?

Stikky indeed. But you need to have a sense of humor for them by the way;)

Yeah, the Bllleeeeaaauuurrrrgghhh! series are brilliant! You won't be disappointed..... I hope

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:14 pm 

Out of curiosity, what does later Locust sound like? Any comparisons?

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:29 pm 

Wet Pussy wrote:

A rape victim pounding on a keyboard.

Can anyone reccomend me goregrind with emphasis on the grind? Regurgitate's "Carnivorous Erection" is an example of this.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:16 pm 

Wet Pussy wrote:

Harsh electronic-based noise with a bit of grind, pretty much. If you're into that type of sound I'd recommend at least a listen.

BestialHellKnight
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:33 pm 

Yeah, they're more noise rock with grind influence.

I think Melt-Banana does it better though.

Gravemarker
The Bloody Heartland

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:13 pm 

BestialHellKnight wrote:
Yeah, they're more noise rock with grind influence.

I think Melt-Banana does it better though.

I've never really gotten the chance to explore Melt-Banana. I have their split with Discordance Axis, and I enjoyed the Melt-Banana side, maybe not as much as DA's side but I kept them in the back of my mind as a band to one day check out.

Well, I forgot.

But better later than never, right? Anyone want to recommend me 'the essentials' of Melt-Banana?

BestialHellKnight
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:15 pm 

Cell-Scape is probably the best, but really if you like one you'll like another as most of their stuff is basically the same,

Gravemarker
The Bloody Heartland

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:25 pm 

EDIT: stupidity

Last edited by Gravemarker on Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:31 pm 

Shouldn't they be in on the "sideprojects" rule?

Gravemarker
The Bloody Heartland

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:36 pm 

EDIT: more stupidity

Last edited by Gravemarker on Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:44 am 

BestialHellKnight wrote:
Cell-Scape is probably the best, but really if you like one you'll like another as most of their stuff is basically the same,

no, Squeek and Bambi are miles apart i.m.o. each album a minor step but over the years it has really changed. I'd advise "Charlie"

Lyrici17
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:53 am 

Wet Pussy wrote:
So, I searched for some "powerviolence torrents" and I'm currently downloading a 1GB pack with these bands.

Capitalist Casualties
Charles Bronson
Crom
Crossed Out
Fuck on the Beach
Infest
Lack of Interest
Man is the Bastard
No Comment
Spazz
The Locust

I enjoy Charles Bronson, Fuck on the Beach, and The Locust. Though honestly, I haven't heard anything by any of the other bands....

Axel_Sikth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:49 am 

Wet Pussy wrote:

Capitalist Casualties
Charles Bronson
Crom
Crossed Out
Fuck on the Beach
Infest
Lack of Interest
Man is the Bastard
No Comment
Spazz
The Locust

I see people namedrop all of the above bands (save for the Locust and Crom) rather often so they warrant a listen at least. :P

The Locust sound like a Frankenstein construction of noise elements, bits of hardcore punk and powerviolence, spastic weirdness, loosely held together by some cryptic lyrics that provide some sort of social/political commentary. Bizarre stuff, but fascinating. And man do they have one hell of a drummer.
But it didn't matter, 'cause they can't hear a sound

http://www.last.fm/user/Axel_Sikth

Syzrael
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:11 am 

I really like Jig-Ai's groove-oriented sound, but I really despise the vocals. Could anyone recommend bands with a similar sound but less irritating vocals? Thanks in advance.

Gravemarker
The Bloody Heartland

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:21 am 

Syzrael wrote:
I really like Jig-Ai's groove-oriented sound, but I really despise the vocals. Could anyone recommend bands with a similar sound but less irritating vocals? Thanks in advance.

If you like those grooves, I personally recommend The Day Everything Became Nothing. Give them a try, but if you don't like Jig-Ai's vocals, you probably won't like these either...

Syzrael
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:58 am 

Gravemarker wrote:
If you like those grooves, I personally recommend The Day Everything Became Nothing. Give them a try, but if you don't like Jig-Ai's vocals, you probably won't like these either...

Thanks a lot, I'm liking TDEBN a lot so far. It was mainly the transitions between low and high-pitched vocals in Jig-Ai that annoyed me, so standard low gurgles are fine with me.

Gravemarker
The Bloody Heartland

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:01 am 

Syzrael wrote:
Gravemarker wrote:

Thanks a lot, I'm liking TDEBN a lot so far. It was mainly the transitions between low and high-pitched vocals in Jig-Ai that annoyed me, so standard low gurgles are fine with me.

No problem, I am also looking for some more groove oriented goregrind for my collection, so if anyone could throw some other suggestions out there, it would be much appreciated.

wigglygore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:27 am 

While you threw out TDEBN, check out other Australian groovy goregrind acts: Die Pigeon Die and Nothin Suss. Also read a page or so back for some reccomendations ala GUT, which is right up the ally as far as what i think your looking for.

Gravemarker
The Bloody Heartland

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:39 am 

wigglygore wrote:
While you threw out TDEBN, check out other Australian groovy goregrind acts: Die Pigeon Die and Nothin Suss. Also read a page or so back for some reccomendations ala GUT, which is right up the ally as far as what i think your looking for.

Thanks for the recs, man, I will check those out soon

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:05 pm 

The annoying thing about Gut though is those annoying highs that sound like a tomboy inhaling helium.

wigglygore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:07 pm 

I love all of GUTs high-pitched screaming! I think its a real trademark of their sound, and a lot of bands have gone on to copy it.

zouoritual
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:56 pm 

There's nothing I hate more than the modern "deathgrind" sound of Pig Destroyer and Nasum that shouldn't be associated with real grindcore. I don't really care if you listen to it but it shouldn't be associated with grindcore greats like early Napalm Death, Repulsion, Terrorizer, Agathocles, Patareni, and Rot, or newer greats like Insect Warfare, Excruciating Terror, Enemy Soil, and Unholy Grave.

And in reference to something someone said on the first page, Necroticism is a great album but it is NOT grindcore! Jesus fucking christ, go listen to it again and tell me it sounds anything like Reek of Putrefaction.

By the way here's a great link that goes over the history of grindcore in a better (though much more convoluted and dare I say, retarded, than the surprisingly good Terrorizer article): http://damagingnoise.blogspot.com/2007/ ... 02-as.html

Gravemarker
The Bloody Heartland

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:59 pm 

zouoritual wrote:
There's nothing I hate more than the modern "deathgrind" sound of Pig Destroyer and Nasum that shouldn't be associated with real grindcore. I don't really care if you listen to it but it shouldn't be associated with grindcore greats like early Napalm Death, Repulsion, Terrorizer, Agathocles, Patareni, and Rot, or newer greats like Insect Warfare, Excruciating Terror, Enemy Soil, and Unholy Grave.

And in reference to something someone said on the first page, Necroticism is a great album but it is NOT grindcore! Jesus fucking christ, go listen to it again and tell me it sounds anything like Reek of Putrefaction.

By the way here's a great link that goes over the history of grindcore in a better (though much more convoluted and dare I say, retarded, than the surprisingly good Terrorizer article): http://damagingnoise.blogspot.com/2007/ ... 02-as.html

Don't go starting a "trve" grindcore scene here...:durr:

Seriously, leave that crap in the black metal help thread, alright? We don't need people like you deciding what is and isn't grindcore.

Last edited by Gravemarker on Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:05 pm 

I would actually be fairly interested in his opinion on what makes Nasum a "false" grind band. I'm not really approaching this as a Nasum fan, I just don't hear anything that would make them less "true" than stuff like Insect Warfare, Rotten Sound, or something along those lines.

Zero_Nowhere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:37 pm 

Syzrael wrote:

You might like Negligent Collateral Collapse.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:40 pm 

They used to feature a few more songs on their MySpace page but if you are looking for low-grade grindcore with squishy sounding and growling-monster-in-the-drain vocals then check out Biological Monstrosity. Basically it sounds like the grindcore equivalent to Demilich...

http://www.myspace.com/biologicalmonstrosity

Rottenrectum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:53 pm 

Nasum not real grindcore? WTF...

spectreofdeath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:33 pm 

Wet Pussy wrote:

Capitalist Casualties
Charles Bronson
Crom
Crossed Out
Fuck on the Beach
Infest
Lack of Interest
Man is the Bastard
No Comment
Spazz
The Locust

all those bands are good except for the Locust. that's fag music.

Axel_Sikth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:28 am 

Jonpo wrote:
I would actually be fairly interested in his opinion on what makes Nasum a "false" grind band. I'm not really approaching this as a Nasum fan, I just don't hear anything that would make them less "true" than stuff like Insect Warfare, Rotten Sound, or something along those lines.

Same here.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:06 am 

I was wondering if there is a grindcore band out there that has a bit of an industrial edge? Not industrial in any sort of electronic sense (though minimal use of electronics could be pleasing), but maybe like if Godflesh's Streetcleaner were to merge with, say, Insect Warfare. Even Utopia Banished era Napalm Death would be nice.

Speaking of Napalm Death, how did you like their newest? I haven't heard the previous two albums completely, but this new one seems to flow near flawlessly from song to song, riff to riff. The album even seemed, to me, to grow darker in subtle fashion as it went on. Pretty interesting album, though still sounding pretty standard.

Axel_Sikth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:43 am 

Dragunov wrote:
Speaking of Napalm Death, how did you like their newest? I haven't heard the previous two albums completely, but this new one seems to flow near flawlessly from song to song, riff to riff. The album even seemed, to me, to grow darker in subtle fashion as it went on. Pretty interesting album, though still sounding pretty standard.

I've only listened to it once, but I agree that it was rather standard-sounding. Solid, but not spectacular, though that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:33 am 

Well, my torrent fucked up at 95.5% >.<

Gravemarker
The Bloody Heartland

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:56 am 

That's a shame...

But, that's why you use .RARs and .ZIPs

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:07 am 

Well, no worries. Axel Sikth, being the awesome guy that he is, uploaded some Spazz for me. I'll blog search the rest of the awesomeness in the torrent eventually... eventually...

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 102  Next