Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Cropsy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:29 am 

Hey all, there are two albums that are particular all-time favorites of mine. They were released in 1998 and 1999, both are heavy on the groove/slamming riffs, and both were released by Texas bands. Molesting the Decapitated by Devourment and Embrace the Eternal by Embodyment.

It's pretty easy to find more bands that sound like Devourment just by searching slam or brutal death metal. However, the Embodyment album is more unique sounding to me and has me thinking there's probably some cool stuff I'm missing out on. Also, it's a Christian album and that's icky to me. I still listen and enjoy it, but I'm happy to have aborted baby Jesus years ago and would like some other listening options.

A little more about the album itself, Embodyment started out playing death metal, while Embrace the Eternal only shows as death metal in the riffs. It's kind of a death metal/hardcore fusion that doesn't at all sound like the deathcore of the last 20 years. So, maybe what I'm looking for is late 90's deathcore? It's not something I'd be familiar with as I missed the late 90's scene by five years or so. I imagine anything extreme and groovy from the late 90's would be of interest to me.

I just revisited Disembodied and came across Bodybag. Neither one quite does it for me. Disembodied doesn't have the death metal intensity. Bodybag sounds like hardcore karaoke over slam instrumental tracks--they don't manage to pull off the fusion, imo. If they did pull it off, it might be what I'm looking for. I'd bet a Bodybag band that was actually from the 90's could deliver.

I'll add that I got to see Devourment twice and managed to see Embodyment's later, less offensive [not religious], and still slamming, incarnation, The Famine. There's an interesting connection to Devourment for Embodyment/The Famine with both Brad Fincher and D. Braxton Henry being involved with The Famine at different points. I don't know if that means I'm really just looking for anything that's been touched by Devourment, ha, or if there's something particular and unique about late 90's metal in Texas?

robotniq
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:17 am 

I used to have that Embodyment CD back in the day but I sold it on (didn't like it much).
Most of the chaotic/metallish hardcore from that period was heavily influenced by Rorschach's "Protestant" (1993). Some of it has aged better than others.

For something with a good blend of hardcore and metal intensity in the post-"Protestant" era, try:
- the first Ire seven-inch (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFNTBL_Nh1k)
- the Acme discography CD (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9MFbmMXQik)
- the Deadguy EP "Screamin with the Deadguy Quintet" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxU61aXcYV8)
- the first Red Sky album, much less Rorschach and more death metal (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCoIGLlcTps)

Cropsy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 6:08 pm 

Thanks for the recommendations. I have been enjoying the Deadguy EP and Red Sky album, and this gives me more to go on for looking for similar stuff.

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:11 am 

Have you ever listen to Converge? Embodyment sounded pretty similar to them, at least that album that you posted here. Is hard to get death metal similar to that album because i think is more hardcore than death metal. But you are with luck today, because i research the same thing, when the mix between hardcore and death metal begin.

I strongly recommend you to listen to the New York school of Brutal Death Metal, specially the bands Pyrexia, Internal Bleeding, Eternal Suffering and Skinless.

Reply to topic