Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
xJx_Joshua_xJx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 6:29 pm 

Well, this request is a bit more specific, so I'll make a topic instead of using the BM help thread. Also, something like this would easily be washed away in the BM help thread in favor of broader, easier to answer requests.

Im looking black metal in the same vein as Coldworld's Melancholie. What Im really aiming for hear is black metal that has a strong ambient background and a tendency to employ post-rockish or shoegazing elements. Also, where as most black metal seems to have a desire to be dark and evil, Im looking for stuff that is simply melancholic (this does NOT mean anything depressing). This is very important, because more than anything else, I am looking for something that produces an atmosphere similar to Coldworld's.

And if you haven't heard the album or the EP (I prefer you have heard the album), please refrain from posting any recs. I know some people are going to see the descriptors "post-rock" and "black metal", and simply want to post anything that could be described by those two. Im looking for a particular atmosphere here.

Thanks in advance.

xJx_Joshua_xJx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:01 am 

Well, let me jump start this thread. I just happened upon a band called Njiqahdda. Now, I only have their album Nji. Njiijn. Niiijn.. But this album is in the same area as what Im looking for (Im not sure about their other albums as I have not heard them). So that offers another reference point, and Im now quite sure that this request is not in vain lol.

xJx_Joshua_xJx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:09 pm 

Really nothing?

Note to mods: This will be the only time I bump this thread.

RitualofSummoning
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 9:30 pm 

wow no one is answering that really sucks...i personally really like Coldworld.The first song on Melancholie "A Dream of a Dead Sun" I think is fantastic.A band you may enjoy is Nyktalgia.I got into them around the same time as Coldworld.They arent too similar but they are good.Try their self titled album.I hope it helps..

How is Njiqahdda anyways?I might have to give them a listen if you like them and they are like Coldworld

xJx_Joshua_xJx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:26 am 

Njiqahdda is great. They don't sound like a carbon copy of Coldworld, but they do have some similarities, and they give off the same atmosphere. The drums for Njiqahdda are more driving than Coldworld's, as are the guitars (as opposed to the more ambient non-stop tremelo of a lot of Coldworld's songs). But on Coldworlds more riff based songs, the resemblence to Njiqahdda is apparent. Though, Njiqahdda are big on repitition and the long song, where as Coldworld keeps everything under the ten minute mark.

But, what I was really aiming at is that the atmosphere of the two are very similar. They both have more of a post-rock-ish melancholic feel, instead of a dark, evil, and depressed vibe. Which is probably why I didnt get any recs lol. It's kinda hard to make suggestions on a feeling.

But anyway, yeah, check them out. I think you'll like them a lot. Thus far, the only album of thier I have is Nji. Njiijn. Njiiiijn., but everyone seems to agree that that is their best, so I guess that makes for a good starting point.

And I've been meaning to give Nyktalgia a listen for some time now. I think I'll get on that tomorrow (I would tonight, but I have to hit the hay soon). And yeah, "A Dream Of A Dead Sun" is an amazing song. One of my other favorites of theirs is "This Empty Life." Its the first song on their EP.

Last edited by xJx_Joshua_xJx on Mon May 18, 2009 5:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 4:47 am 

Coldworld are a pretty unique excellent band, was sitting here in work trying to think of a similar atmosphere/sounding band, and off the top of my head you might be interested in checking out Angantyr (DNK) 1st album "KAMPEN FORSAETTER". To be honest I have not listened to the cd in a while but from memory it has a very similar feel and great song writing, let me know if this is what you are looking for and I will try to rec more.

diabolikon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:38 am 

Nocturnal Depression.
Member #1 of the Anti-anti-folk metal front.

SiorehymLincoln
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:59 am 

wow, i must thank you man for starting this thread. I gave a listen to Coldworld, absolutely awesome!

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:42 am 

SiorehymLincoln wrote:
wow, i must thank you man for starting this thread. I gave a listen to Coldworld, absolutely awesome!

Yea, they are def a very overlooked band, fantastic debut full of atmosphere.

Scourge441
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:15 pm 

When I was introduced to Coldworld, the band they were compared to was Darkspace. They're certainly similar bands, but I dunno if Darkspace are quite what you're looking for. They're pretty well known regardless, so I'm assuming you know them already anyway. If you don't, then they'd probably be worth a listen.

xJx_Joshua_xJx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 5:23 pm 

Well this thread picked up lol.

Darkspace are a great band, but not quite what Im looking for here. Angantyr (DNK), and Nocturnal Depression are on my to-do list.

And glad you like them Lincoln.

Reply to topic