Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Malthus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:22 pm 

DeathspellDelta wrote:
any filthy, deranged and experimental black metal along the lines of Peste Noire?

Fellow Frenchmen Sale Freux are quite inspired by P.N.'s work.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:01 pm 

The ZBT band got me to thinking, I like raw black metal as an idea, but I don't really know any bands that play it that aren't shite (I already know the LLN). Anybody got anything for me?

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:07 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
The ZBT band got me to thinking, I like raw black metal as an idea, but I don't really know any bands that play it that aren't shite (I already know the LLN). Anybody got anything for me?

I suppose you know them since they come from Quebec, and there's much more to this band than raw black metal, Akitsa.

FaultyClockwork
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:27 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:

Ash Pool? I recommend their first full length, as well as the Genital Tomb and Black Bondage in the North EPs.

Voidstarlit
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:07 pm 

i'm looking for black metal with drumming like Immortal's Battles in the North

Malthus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:23 pm 

Voidstarlit wrote:

Try In Battle's self titled debut album.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOnP7nfTwX0

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:37 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:

You'll probably like a lot of the Black Metal Youth Attack! Records has been pumping out lately. Since its a label famous for it's Powerviolence stuff, expect it to blistering fast, and noisy as all hell.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:08 pm 

The truth is that thinking of black metal being raw in the same context and terms as punk music is wrongheaded and will naturally lead you to finding bands that are basically punk and don't mesh well with whatever black metal trappings they've adopted. It's a doomed enterprise.

Rawness within black metal stands in contradistinction to our normal conception of raw music. The same goes for the idea of being melodic as well. All good black metal is both raw and melodic.

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:47 pm 

DeathspellDelta wrote:
any filthy, deranged and experimental black metal along the lines of Peste Noire?

How about Autarcie?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:29 am 

John_Sunlight wrote:
The truth is that thinking of black metal being raw in the same context and terms as punk music is wrongheaded and will naturally lead you to finding bands that are basically punk and don't mesh well with whatever black metal trappings they've adopted. It's a doomed enterprise.

Rawness within black metal stands in contradistinction to our normal conception of raw music. The same goes for the idea of being melodic as well. All good black metal is both raw and melodic.

How is it that despite my agreeing wholeheartedly, the black metal bands you like still suck in my opinion? :P

Voidstarlit
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:31 am 

Malthus wrote:
Voidstarlit wrote:

Try In Battle's self titled debut album.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOnP7nfTwX0

thanks, anymore like In Battle?

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:37 pm 

Akitsa and Ash Pool were actually pretty good bands, I'll check out that label when I get the chance.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:29 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
How is it that despite my agreeing wholeheartedly, the black metal bands you like still suck in my opinion? :P

I don't know, man. I'm always hoping you'll develop good taste in black metal but it just never happens!

gloriousonescreatedbyhim
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:10 pm 

Can anyone help me find any black metal that is similar to malfeitor and watain? I love both thesee bands and have not had any luck finding anything that is close to them.

StemmenFraTarnet
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:30 am 

Hi everyone. I'm looking for Burzum worship in the vein of Hvis Lyset Tar Oss, which is, I know, very unique... but still, maybe we've got something similar out there, I wouldn't know. Something with a similar atmosphere, similar guitar tone, similar vocals... I don't know, surprise me.

FaultyClockwork
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:38 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Akitsa and Ash Pool were actually pretty good bands, I'll check out that label when I get the chance.

Members of Akitsa and Ash Pool are apparently in a band called Departure Chandelier, so that might interest you, though I have not listened. Not surprised; Dominic Fernow of Ash Pool did a split with Akitsa under his noise project Prurient.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:13 am 

StemmenFraTarnet wrote:
Hi everyone. I'm looking for Burzum worship in the vein of Hvis Lyset Tar Oss, which is, I know, very unique... but still, maybe we've got something similar out there, I wouldn't know. Something with a similar atmosphere, similar guitar tone, similar vocals... I don't know, surprise me.

Check out TOBC , his recent debut album 'Heart of Darkness' is heavily influenced by this release.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:03 pm 

StemmenFraTarnet wrote:

You might be interested in the completely dull (in my opinion) Sterbend. The guitar tone is not an exact replica, but most of the melodies and vocals found within are disgustingly close to Burzum.

However, for something really good, check out the second album from the amazing Verdunkeln. Quite a bit more powerful than Burzum in a lot of aspects as far as I'm concerned.

My collection

Pest_Hat
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:36 am 

I'm looking for pre-Gaahl-era Gorgoroth worship. Under the Sign of Hell, Antichrist, Pentagram, that's what I'm looking for. Gaahl's vocals aren't bad, but he didn't take part in the better Gorgoroth albums, so...

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:30 am 

Pest_Hat wrote:
I'm looking for pre-Gaahl-era Gorgoroth worship. Under the Sign of Hell, Antichrist, Pentagram, that's what I'm looking for. Gaahl's vocals aren't bad, but he didn't take part in the better Gorgoroth albums, so...

How much Finnish black metal are you familiar with? Many bands are known, and revered, for playing in the vein of or even aping earlier Gorgoroth. Especially Horna.

Pest_Hat
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:28 am 

I've heard of them. Never really bothered to check them out, though. And they have a whole bunch of records out. So, what's the best one to start with?

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:55 pm 

How long have you been into black metal and where would you say you've gotten the better part of your understanding of it, if you don't mind sharing?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:00 am 

Pest_Hat wrote:
I've heard of them. Never really bothered to check them out, though. And they have a whole bunch of records out. So, what's the best one to start with?

Kohti Yhdeksän Nousua is as good a starting point as can be. As far as Horna full-lengths go, all but Haudankylmyyden Mailla, Sotahuuto and Sudentaival are essential in respect to your request. Musta Kaipuu compilation (previously unreleased tracks from Eflos sessions) is possibly quite close to what I think you're looking for.

Sargeist is another essential band. It features Horna's guitarist and songwriter, and in Sargeist's music those melodic and melancholic aspects of Horna's music are much more pronounced. Many riffs, especially on Let the Devil In, are reminiscent of Infernus' sweeping, sorrowful riffing, though the first album Satanic Black Devotion is without doubt the best of the three.

Vitsaus is also melodic and sorrowful, but also dreary as all hell. Essential if comparatively less known band (despite musician connections). Start with the sole full-length or any of the three demos. Ruumiinvaellus definitely isn't bad, but perhaps not the best representation of their sound.

There are unbeliavably many Finnish bands in this general style, though all (or most) are slightly different in their own ways.

~Guest 227866
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:24 am 

Is there anything like Bak De Syv Fjell?

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:01 pm 

Zeating wrote:
Is there anything like Bak De Syv Fjell?

I keep putting off buying that album because of the shortness of the release, but I will buy it one day.

Gastjale
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:35 pm 

Horna's "Hiidentorni" demo is pure Gorgoroth worship done helluva right. The same misty and sombre feeling is present as in Antichrist, for example.

YinYang
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:16 am 

hey, looking for something comparable to satyricon's the shadowthrone. epic without synth overkill or over the top orchestral arrangements, any suggestions?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:07 am 

More on Pest_Hat's request:

I listened to some Kvist today, and I think you might like it provided that it isn't excessively synth laden or not evil enough for your taste. There are no riffs like Possessed By Satan or the thrashy riffing from Revelation of Doom. If you do like it, also check out Belenos, for which the sophomore is a good starting point.

Gastjale's appearance reminded me of Arckanum, whose album ÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞ has certain similarities with Infernus' Gorgoroth.

If you want to know more Finnish bands in the vein of Sargeist etc., I assure you there are many.

breeze kneeze
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:38 pm 

Suggestion for the rarest most underground kvlt band (that is not a black/noise band) recommendations?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:41 pm 

breeze kneeze wrote:
Suggestion for the rarest most underground kvlt band (that is not a black/noise band) recommendations?

Do get out.

breeze kneeze
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:47 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
breeze kneeze wrote:

Do get out.

Perhaps you're don't get what i'm trying to say. I'm asking for black metal bands that are underground and unknown as hell, that are super kvlt. Preferably no full lengths, or if they did release a full length just one and then disbanded.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:37 pm 

I can think of several things that would fit that request, but I won't share them because you've offended my sensibilities as a black metal elitist by using the word "kvlt".

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:35 pm 

All the wolves have set their glare on you now fella. Not a wise thing to say really.

Anyway, I am looking for BM with thrash undertones but not going into blackened thrash territory. I would say more like thrash influenced black. In other words I still want lots of the atypical bm elements but sharing the stage with some Thrash, or even speedmetal sections. If it has a primitive sounding production all the better.

Flugeldufel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:56 pm 

You'd probably like Nifelheim. I'd say just check out all their albums in order.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:06 pm 

The_Apex_of_Collapse wrote:
Anyway, I am looking for BM with thrash undertones but not going into blackened thrash territory. I would say more like thrash influenced black. In other words I still want lots of the atypical bm elements but sharing the stage with some Thrash, or even speedmetal sections. If it has a primitive sounding production all the better.

How about Norway's Aura Noir? Fantastic thrashy black metal. Seconding Nifelheim as well, another good to great band.

Also Chile's Perversor are well worth checking out, pertty damn vicious stuff.

Going to suggest Germany's Old. Down With The Nails is awesome gear.

Terrorama are also interesting. Pretty raw stuff, but again may be too thashy for your request.

Too blackthrashy? Maybe...

My collection

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:29 pm 

http://i.imgur.com/Ma6f8.png

All these bands on my black/thrash podcast + Ketzer ! Nifelheim's debut is one of my favorite album of all time, so damn amazing. If you want to listen to it, let me know.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

dethfvk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:35 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FojZS2YDVtg

FredGarvin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:42 am 

Anyone here ever hear the band Kjeld? Someone over in the "recent purchases" thread mentioned them and I looked them up on YouTube and I really liked what I heard. Unfortunately it looks like they have only released one two-song, 17-minute EP in early '10 and nothing since. Good stuff, though. Check 'em out:

http://youtu.be/QHQ_uNpjpRU

Malthus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:43 pm 

FredGarvin wrote:
Anyone here ever hear the band Kjeld? Someone over in the "recent purchases" thread mentioned them and I looked them up on YouTube and I really liked what I heard. Unfortunately it looks like they have only released one two-song, 17-minute EP in early '10 and nothing since. Good stuff, though. Check 'em out:

http://youtu.be/QHQ_uNpjpRU

Yes, good band indeed. I picked up their EP on a whim and am glad I did. Hoping they're working on new material, though it may be a while as members play in several other bands.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:09 pm 

Flugeldufel wrote:
Nifelheim

Metantoine wrote:
Nifelheim

CrushedRevelation wrote:
Nifelheim

Think I see a pattern here :lol: I remember I had their first album but never actually got to listening to it. Well I just rectified that and hold shit, this is insane stuff.... I listened to the album three times in a row haha

@CrushedRevelation: Aura Noir is near perfect. I browsed through some youtube links beyond yours and very consistent, never boring. I will be looking for some of their stuff thats for sure. Perversor is 100% what I wanted with this request. Primitive production, Vocals, and instrumentation are perfect. I owe you a beer for this one if anything. Old, and Terrorama are also both quite amazing. This is pretty much a flawless rec!

@Metantoine: Your list will keep me busy for a while I am thinking. Cheers for that.

Thank you all.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 231  Next