PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:42 am 

nesh1 wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQzr-WH96iI&ab_channel=Oiceoptoma

similar to this ^ :) thanks

Merged to black metal help thread.

Smooker
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:09 am 

Hi, i'm looking for some good mid tempo/ lofi black metal bands like Kekht arakh or under a funeral moon by Darkthrone.
Thanks for your help.

Smooker
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:41 am 

Hi, im looking for some mid tempo/lofi black metal bands like Këkht Ärakh or Darkthrones Under a funeral Moon.

Thanks for your help

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:19 am 

Smooker wrote:
Hi, im looking for some mid tempo/lofi black metal bands like Këkht Ärakh or Darkthrones Under a funeral Moon.

Thanks for your help

Moved to Black Metal Help Thread.

SafassThin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:03 pm 

Smooker wrote:

Thanks for your help

For a Under a funeral moon like, try Perished and Forgotten by Graven. Nehëmah have also this vibe, try Shadows from the Past.
For something in the vein of Këkht Ärakh maybe ask for Judas Iscariot. There's also a lot of old Burzum in Këkht Ärakh' music.

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:22 pm 

Smooker wrote:

Thanks for your help

these two are very different from each other in my book, so your request appears rather broad/vague to me. but if you want something in the vein of UAFM, check out katharsis - 666.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:33 am 

Looking for bands that have a similar sound/approach to Destroyer 666's brand of black/thrash minus the shitty racism?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:35 pm 

Smooker wrote:

Thanks for your help

Moved to black metal help thread.

AnimalBones
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:21 am 

Hi, I'm looking for something in the vein of the related Ärid, Virulent Spectre, Ctenizidae projects. Hard to put a finger on what it is, but they have in common a wall of sound guitar, snarled/distorted vocals, and a prominent (sometimes grooving) drum sound. I'm guessing primarily XIE is a drummer.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:14 am 

MeavyHetal wrote:
Looking for bands that have a similar sound/approach to Destroyer 666's brand of black/thrash minus the shitty racism?

Craven Idol's latest album and classic Desaster (albums like Hellfire's Dominion) are the first that spring to my mind

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:44 am 

AnimalBones wrote:
Hi, I'm looking for something in the vein of the related Ärid, Virulent Spectre, Ctenizidae projects. Hard to put a finger on what it is, but they have in common a wall of sound guitar, snarled/distorted vocals, and a prominent (sometimes grooving) drum sound. I'm guessing primarily XIE is a drummer.

How about Emanation?
First album is more ritual and drone-like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5-nGZX07_A
Second features catchier beats:
https://emanation.bandcamp.com/album/te ... allization

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:26 pm 

Hi, looking for black metal in the vein of early Taake

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:55 pm 

Please rec black metal bands or albums (even from very well known bands) that came out in the last three years. I almost completely tuned out and missed out on a lot.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:58 am 

MonumentalBlackArt wrote:
Please rec black metal bands or albums (even from very well known bands) that came out in the last three years. I almost completely tuned out and missed out on a lot.

Here's a couple:
Wake - Devouring Ruin
Auðn - Vökudraumsins fangi
Gaerea - Limbo
The Ruins of Beverast - The Thule Grimoires
Sinmara - Hvísl stjarnanna
Deathspell Omega - The Furnaces of Palingenesia
Misþyrming - Algleymi
Carpe Noctem - Vitrun

They are more or less my most listened black metal albums released in the last 3 years.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:06 am 

random stuff i'm listening:
Havukruunu's Uinuos syömein sota and Horn's Mohngang -> if you interested in very epic sounding black metal
Akhlys's Melinoë -> really interesting nightmarish stuff, better than the debut
Blut Aus Nord's Hallucinogen -> one of his most melodic album, pretty psychedelic at times
Serment's Chante, ô flamme de la liberté -> one of the very rare atmospheric black metal albums i can stomach, i liked it way more than any Forteresse material
Malokarpatan's Krupinské ohne and Bütcher's 666 Goats Carry my Chariot -> if you are interested in heavy/speed black metal hybrids, both incredibly fun albums
Aorhlac's L'esprit des vents and Vehemence's Par le sang versé -> medieval tinged black metal, i've enjoyed both greatly

Other two that didn't particularly impressed me but made quite a stir:

Alphaville's Imperial Triumphant -> very creative weirdoblack, i've met people that consider it one of the best things they ever heard
Mayhem's Daemon -> many consider it their best since De Mysteriis, but honestly it left me indifferent

SafassThin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:54 am 

More albums to recomand here:
- Hier déjà mort by Sordide
- Animal bouffe animal by Mourir
- Ultime Pulsation by Void Paradigm
- Le tyran et l'esthète by Les Chants de Nihil
- Argoat by Belenos
- La morsure du Christ by Seth
- Arcanes & sortilèges by Darkenhöld
- Cosmicism by The Great Old Ones

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:16 pm 

Some various probably lesser known things I've been enjoying lately:

Hermóðr - I love everything this guy does lately, if you're in the mood for something a little more chill. I often sleep listening to his music.
Helleruin - War Upon Man
Këkht Aräkh - Pale Swordsman
Human Serpent - Heirlooms Eternal
Ende - Mörnöyr, bienvenue en terre du Diable
Fuath - II
Selbst - Relatos de angustia
The Committee - Utopian Deception
Non Est Deus - There is No God
Sielunvihollinen - everything
Djevel - everything
Svrm - also everything
Vspolokh - Помре
Over the Voids - Hadal
Malist - all 3 albums
Dodsrit - Mortal Coil

(Auðn and Seth which were already mentioned)
Lots of other new more "chill" stuff I've been listening to lately.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:35 am 

Check out Departure Chandelier.

Bluesyboy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:40 pm 

Could somebody recommend me a band with a vocalist that is rhythmically similar to Dani on Cruelty and the Beast? I don't care if its super shrieky like him or not.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:54 am 

Where do I start eh? Some have already been mentioned, but I'll add my two cents.

Ascension - Under Ether
Cracking album from the Germans, production values are perfect and song writing is as strong as ever. This band (for me) always delivers.

Issolei - Cilicium
Came out of nowhere and floored me after a couple of spins and I fully appreciated the desolate, claustrophobic atmosphere. Recommended highly.

Mānbryne - Heilsweg: O udręce ciała i tułaczce duszy
Another bolt from nowhere. Brutally nihilistic, and very strong composition.

Prison of Mirrors - De Ritualibus et Sacrificiis ad Serviendum Abysso
Might not be for everyone, but this is some dense, captivating work full of twists and turns with it's at times lengthy, meaty construction and brilliant rasping vocal work. Fantastic production helps convey the tone well.

Belzazel - Sword of Satan
No punches pulled, no hiding from what they deliver, which is just pure, raw satanic black metal. Fucking awesome.

Order of Orias - Ablaze
My fellow Australian countrymen have delivered another storming black metal album to follow up the amazing Inverse record. Raging and violent with purpose and clarity.

Aversio Humanitatis - Behold the Silent Dwellers
Modern, urban, nihilistic black metal. This has a unique feel to the album - one on the edge of collapse, both mentally and spiritually with all the frustration and anger that inevitability come with it.

Bâ'a - Deus qui non mentitur
This is brilliant. A black metal theological discussion between God the Devil and Man. I can't get enough of this album. Wonderfully composed in my opinion.

Whoredom Rife - Nid - Hymner av hat
Norwegian to the bone, and I for one welcome this throwback to earlier glories of misanthropy and hate. I say a throwback, but it's not a stale reconstruction of what was, it rather reignites the flame once more. Outstanding.

Pa Vesh En - Pyrefication
Sounding like it was recorded in a bone-filled catacomb, and I would not have it any other way. This is some suffocating, crushing blackness.

Funeral Mist - Hekatomb
Not for the faint of heart. This is nasty, violent, madness fueled black metal. Insanity and demon worship walk hand in hand.

Slidhr - The Futile Fires of Man
Unsung and underrated, releasing quality albums in a unhurried way.

Gharmelicht - Gharmelicht
American newcomers making some raucous black metal. Wheels are good, that's why they haven't been replaced.

Spectral Wound - A Diabolical Thirst
This shit is just fucking wildly impressive. Not groundbreaking in any way, but I'll be damned if it's not just what I look for most of the time with black metal.

Drastus - La croix de sang
France is no stranger to black metal with many notable acts over the years and Drastus is another arrow in that quiver. Hypnotic, serpentine dirges of malevolence. La croix de sang is a minor masterpiece.

Mephorash - Shem Ha Mephorash
This is a deeply ritualistic, evangelical ode to the esoteric and occult. Unfolding at it's own pace with some truly haunting vocal work by the stunning female choir vocals. It's quite a bit to digest at first, but well worth it.

Schammasch - Hearts of No Light
Unconventional black metal that has plenty of traditional elements, keeping the roots of black metal at heart. This has a ton of depth to it, turning up a few surprises here and there over the course of the album.

Nox Formulae - Drakon Darshan Satan
Great album from this Greek band, who deliver some brutal black metal. Intense from start to finish, with an unexpected sounding track towards the end which works very well with the tone of the record.

Some stuff that's kicking my ass right now. Plus there's probably a shit ton more...

My collection

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:59 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:

Where do I start eh? Some have already been mentioned, but I'll add my two cents.

Ascension - Under Ether
Cracking album from the Germans, production values are perfect and song writing is as strong as ever. This band (for me) always delivers.

Issolei - Cilicium
Came out of nowhere and floored me after a couple of spins and I fully appreciated the desolate, claustrophobic atmosphere. Recommended highly.

Mānbryne - Heilsweg: O udręce ciała i tułaczce duszy
Another bolt from nowhere. Brutally nihilistic, and very strong composition.

Prison of Mirrors - De Ritualibus et Sacrificiis ad Serviendum Abysso
Might not be for everyone, but this is some dense, captivating work full of twists and turns with it's at times lengthy, meaty construction and brilliant rasping vocal work. Fantastic production helps convey the tone well.

Belzazel - Sword of Satan
No punches pulled, no hiding from what they deliver, which is just pure, raw satanic black metal. Fucking awesome.

Order of Orias - Ablaze
My fellow Australian countrymen have delivered another storming black metal album to follow up the amazing Inverse record. Raging and violent with purpose and clarity.

Aversio Humanitatis - Behold the Silent Dwellers
Modern, urban, nihilistic black metal. This has a unique feel to the album - one on the edge of collapse, both mentally and spiritually with all the frustration and anger that inevitability come with it.

Bâ'a - Deus qui non mentitur
This is brilliant. A black metal theological discussion between God the Devil and Man. I can't get enough of this album. Wonderfully composed in my opinion.

Whoredom Rife - Nid - Hymner av hat
Norwegian to the bone, and I for one welcome this throwback to earlier glories of misanthropy and hate. I say a throwback, but it's not a stale reconstruction of what was, it rather reignites the flame once more. Outstanding.

Pa Vesh En - Pyrefication
Sounding like it was recorded in a bone-filled catacomb, and I would not have it any other way. This is some suffocating, crushing blackness.

Funeral Mist - Hekatomb
Not for the faint of heart. This is nasty, violent, madness fueled black metal. Insanity and demon worship walk hand in hand.

Slidhr - The Futile Fires of Man
Unsung and underrated, releasing quality albums in a unhurried way.

Gharmelicht - Gharmelicht
American newcomers making some raucous black metal. Wheels are good, that's why they haven't been replaced.

Spectral Wound - A Diabolical Thirst
This shit is just fucking wildly impressive. Not groundbreaking in any way, but I'll be damned if it's not just what I look for most of the time with black metal.

Drastus - La croix de sang
France is no stranger to black metal with many notable acts over the years and Drastus is another arrow in that quiver. Hypnotic, serpentine dirges of malevolence. La croix de sang is a minor masterpiece.

Mephorash - Shem Ha Mephorash
This is a deeply ritualistic, evangelical ode to the esoteric and occult. Unfolding at it's own pace with some truly haunting vocal work by the stunning female choir vocals. It's quite a bit to digest at first, but well worth it.

Schammasch - Hearts of No Light
Unconventional black metal that has plenty of traditional elements, keeping the roots of black metal at heart. This has a ton of depth to it, turning up a few surprises here and there over the course of the album.

Nox Formulae - Drakon Darshan Satan
Great album from this Greek band, who deliver some brutal black metal. Intense from start to finish, with an unexpected sounding track towards the end which works very well with the tone of the record.

Some stuff that's kicking my ass right now. Plus there's probably a shit ton more...

Funny how all these are too modern for me

Steel_Jaw
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:23 pm 

Quite late reply, but I really enjoyed these two releases from recent years:

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:15 am 

What are your favorite non-Darkthrone, Darkthrone records?

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:53 am 

you mean records in the vein of darkthrone, but not written or performed by darkthrone?
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:30 pm 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:

Check out Craft, Pest and Armagedda.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:48 am 

Unity wrote:
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:

Check out Craft, Pest and Armagedda.

Haha, I'm familiar with them. Of course.

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:09 am 

not easy. imo it's always hard to pinpoint what exactly "the darkthrone sound" is, since they have such a varied discography with so many different styles.
you may want to try this though:

I know others are also into their full-lengths, but it's this demo that always hit the spot for me. it's really good.

also, warloghe's second album always felt to me like the lost darkthrone album that darkthrone never wrote if you know what I mean, but I'm sure you know this already. if you're looking for a 100% clone of transilvanian hunger, check out nysrogh's second demo. obv doesn't come close though.
katharsis - 666 for something like UAFM, but you'll know this one already.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

~Guest 322837
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:52 am 

anyone got some stuff like Arizmenda's Without Circumference Nor Center?

brightfield
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:56 pm 

Not really a recommendation but I just noticed that most of Lugubrum's discography is now on Spotify. Pretty sure they weren't on there for many years.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:26 pm 

I'm looking for what you could probably describe as "heavy atmospheric black metal", but it doesn't adhere to the conventions of that style. I find that most bands in atmoblack have no punch to them, it tends to just be this wash of sound with no weight to it. I'm trying to find some bands that have slicker, beefier productions, with meatier, chunkier guitars, often extended range or significant downtuning can help. The atmosphere can come from a variety of ways. Some examples of a range of means to achieve something like this would be the last two albums from The Great Old Ones, Batushka, and not strictly black metal, but Sulphur Aeon and Triptykon's faster tracks touch on this as well. The main thing is a huge, crushing guitar sound with something interesting atmospherically or melodically, whether it's post-rock/ambient, reverberant guitar influence, liturgical choirs, synthesizers etc. But overt symphonic black metal is a bit too much, so I'm not necessarily looking for that.

Last edited by LithoJazzoSphere on Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SafassThin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:01 pm 

Maybe you'll find something like what you discribe in Wildernessking's Mystical future, Regarde les hommes tomber, Celeste, Maïeutiste's Veritas...

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:49 am 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
I'm looking for what you could probably describe as "heavy atmospheric black metal", but it doesn't adhere to the conventions of that style. I find that most bands in atmoblack have no punch to them, it tends to just be this wash of sound with no weight to it. I'm trying to find some bands that have slicker, beefier productions, with meatier, chunkier guitars, often extended range or significant downtuning can help. The atmosphere can come from a variety of ways. Some examples of a range of means to achieve something like this would be the last two albums from The Great Old Ones, Batushka, and not strictly black metal, but Sulphur Aeon and Triptykon's faster tracks touch on this as well. The main thing is a huge, crushing guitar sound with something interesting atmospherically or melodically, whether it's post-rock/ambient, reverberant guitar influence, liturgical choirs, synthesizers etc. But overt symphonic black metal is a bit too much, so I'm not necessarily looking for that.

I have a couple of recommendations for you. No idea whether you are familiar with them.

I mentioned this band a few posts up, but I feel they fit what you are looking for here...

Mephorash. Specifically their Shem Ha Mephorash album. Clear, powerfully produced laced with an ecclesiastical atmosphere. This whole record feels like one long incantation dedicated to lost forgotten deities.

Chant of Golgotha

Rebirth of Nefast's Tabernaculum is another stellar black metal album riddled with a crushing, suffocating atmosphere, with mountains of weight. Amazing, captivating record.

The First Born of the Dead

Iceland's Almyrkvi are worth your time with their massive take on the cold indifference of the unending voids of space. Especially the second album, Umbra. Fantastic, meaty production values help push the vision of black, empty space further.

Vaporous Flame

My collection

Moclath
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:22 pm 

Anyone got some stuff like Aaskereia - Dort, wo das alte Böse ruht? I need something like that..I know it's a unique album,i've been trying to find something like that butt i never find it,after i listened to this album,the other albums i've listened to were way behind this one..because i thought it was simply amazing

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:45 pm 

This is a hard one since it's too based on subjective taste, but I'm gonna try to explain what I feel in order to clarify what I'm looking for:

So back in the late 00s or early 10s, the atmospheric black metal scene seemed superb and promising, with records like Walknut, Ygg, Verdunkeln, Weakling, and so forth. Those records were gifted with songwriting. You could listen to those over and over again without them getting any more boring.

Yet now I notice the atmospheric black scene has converged to a derivative blackgaze thing, where all the bands seem to sound too gazeish and relaxing focused, that the intensity of the black metal has been forgotten. They concentrate too much on following the course of the scene that the beauty of each band particular songwriting cannot be heard anymore. And they sound so similar that the atmosphere once evoked are started to become old and unenjoyable.
That's basically a cute way of saying that the bands nowadays sound boring, stale, uninspired and all the same.

And no. It's not me who grew out of the genre. If that was the case the records from back then would also not please me, yet they still do.

So i'd like to be proven wrong... Are there recent bands worthy following? Where are those woundrous releases, those masterpieces of songwriting that used to be in the atmospheric black scene?

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:58 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:

Oh funny to read this post, it has a lot to do with the one I just did.

I can recommend some older stuff that I know in that line (yet, my post asking for new stuff on the same line still holds)

On the downtuned, beefier site the classic ones would be Walknut and Ygg.

Some personal interest from me are Colorless Forest, and My Purest Heart For You which are highly downtuned and dronish

Krallice is an interesting way of doing atmo, where the atmosphere is more to the uplifting side.

There is also Hate Forest for claustrophobic atmobm with deep vocals.

I tried selecting the most downtuned and guitar-centered I can remember, hope it helps

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:51 am 

A quick update, I listened to an album from each of these bands, so I'll give my first impressions. I'll try and get to the next batch of suggestions sometime over the next few days.

SafassThin wrote:
Maybe you'll find something like what you discribe in Wildernessking's Mystical future, Regarde les hommes tomber, Celeste, Maïeutiste's Veritas...

Wildernessking - not quite as heavy as I'm looking for, but they have some intriguing elements going on

Regarde les hommes tomber - definitely heading in the right direction in terms of the power I'm looking for, the drums pack quite a wallop

Celeste - quite good and in the ballpark of what I'm looking for, but I'm not into those vocals at all

Maieutiste - also on the right track, could be a bit heavier, but the folk elements are a welcome touch

CrushedRevelation wrote:

Mephorash. Specifically their Shem Ha Mephorash album...Rebirth of Nefast's Tabernaculum...Iceland's Almyrkvi...Especially the second album, Umbra

Mephorash - another solid pick, the choral elements are cool

Rebirth of Nefast - also quite nice, a lot of space and ambiance to it, but still heavy

Almyrkvi - definitely some cool synths in places and an expansive sound, kind of a beefier, more forward-sounding version of Darkspace

Karlabos wrote:
Yet now I notice the atmospheric black scene has converged to a derivative blackgaze thing, where all the bands seem to sound too gazeish and relaxing focused, that the intensity of the black metal has been forgotten.

Yeah, I think I know what you mean. I've been listening to a lot of Alcest lately, a bit of Deafheaven, Harakiri For the Sky, Panopticon, probably a few others I'm not recalling right now, and they do things I like, especially Alcest, but the metal in some of them is pretty lightweight. And those are ones I like, there's lots of others I've heard that I didn't care for at all. So I'm looking for ones who combine meaty guitars with melody and/or soundscapes or such. I think I'm sort of searching for polished death metal production with black metal writing, playing, and atmosphere.

Last edited by LithoJazzoSphere on Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:26 am 

Moclath wrote:
Anyone got some stuff like Aaskereia - Dort, wo das alte Böse ruht? I need something like that..I know it's a unique album,i've been trying to find something like that butt i never find it,after i listened to this album,the other albums i've listened to were way behind this one..because i thought it was simply amazing

that aaskereia record is pretty unique. the only band I could think of that was sort of comparable was brocken moon. try their "das märchen vom schnee" album, even though it's not quiteas compelling as that aaskereia.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:30 pm 

Come at me with your favorite medieval black metal please

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:20 am 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:

i like the most the standard french one (Aorlhac, Darkenhold, Véhémence...) and i dig other "big bands" of the genre Obsequiae, Godkiller, Ungfell... i've liked recently Mystras, the side project from the guy behind Spectral Lore.

for more obscure stuff i remember liking Dolcinian's ep Penitenthiagite. They were a quite unknown Italian band focused on the story of Fra Dolcino, an heretic that was killed very gruesomely by the inquisition. I haven't heard them in ages tough!

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:01 am 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:

Are Satyricon's first two albums too obvious?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 219, 220, 221, 222, 223, 224, 225 ... 231  Next