* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
SwarteHeap
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:03 pm 

Malthus wrote:
FredGarvin wrote:
Anyone here ever hear the band Kjeld? Someone over in the "recent purchases" thread mentioned them and I looked them up on YouTube and I really liked what I heard. Unfortunately it looks like they have only released one two-song, 17-minute EP in early '10 and nothing since. Good stuff, though. Check 'em out:

http://youtu.be/QHQ_uNpjpRU

Yes, good band indeed. I picked up their EP on a whim and am glad I did. Hoping they're working on new material, though it may be a while as members play in several other bands.

Debut album is mostly recorded, it's supposed to be out late 2012.

ken_metal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:42 am 

black metal that incorporates beautiful solos and guitar squeals ala Vader/Morbid Angel

more of like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBpKVac0DJU

GO! and thanks..

Michelle Massacre
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:15 pm 

Random thought: Everyone loves Urfaust so much... my ex showed them to me, and I for the life of me could not see how the band members aren't cracking up laughing their ass off at the singer the second he lets out that retarded-moose-getting-molested-by-an-elephant scream.
If they weren't a serious band, I could appreciate them more. But they're serious?! WTF?? I can't slit my wrists to this shit!

(apologies, I had to rant)

Now the reason I came, to post this:

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/strugatsky/list_of_black_metal_bands_with_a_difference/

Huge list of awesomeness. Rate Your Music really is a great place to learn about bands that fall beneath the average line of site, in whatever genre.

-Morla, from "The Neverending Story"

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:44 pm 

Great, great list. I'm still going through it but I've found three good bands through it so far. Thanks. By the way, your sig is horrible on the eyes. You should make it smaller, and not pink. Just saying.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Michelle Massacre
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:13 pm 

My bad, thanks for letting me know dude. I'll replace it with a couple normal links when I'm done this post.

You're welcome for the list too, some all-nighters would have been pretty boring indeed if it wasn't for RYM. Its surprising what you can find on there sometimes.

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:44 am 

Can I get some ridiculously, unbelievably cheesy melodic black metal? I'm mostly looking for stuff similar to this song from one of the MA songwriting challenges: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkQdJBM8lEE

Melodeath can work too, but basically I want extreme metal that's cheesy, unrelentingly melodic, and as nonthreatening as possible (while still being relatively serious in execution).

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:31 am 

So I was expecting that link to be Written In Torment...

Black Coffee
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:32 am 

Requesting what I requested in my thread

Michelle Massacre wrote:
Random thought: Everyone loves Urfaust so much... my ex showed them to me, and I for the life of me could not see how the band members aren't cracking up laughing their ass off at the singer the second he lets out that retarded-moose-getting-molested-by-an-elephant scream.
If they weren't a serious band, I could appreciate them more. But they're serious?! WTF?? I can't slit my wrists to this shit!

(apologies, I had to rant)

Now the reason I came, to post this:

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/strugatsky/list_of_black_metal_bands_with_a_difference/

Huge list of awesomeness. Rate Your Music really is a great place to learn about bands that fall beneath the average line of site, in whatever genre.

I absolutely love todesstoss.

Come to think of it this is exactly the kind of list I was looking for.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:42 pm 

CrushedRevelation, since you like Matricide, what do you think of Kadotus? I found the debut album Seven Glorifications of Evil to be especially similarly spirited (to Black Mass, mostly).

Black Mass Gathering is perhaps even more minimalistic, though. Kadotus has a budding sense of grandeur in the vein of Horna.

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:40 pm 

Michelle Massacre wrote:

And how much of their material have you actually listened to?

Michelle Massacre
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:28 am 

hey wrote:
Michelle Massacre wrote:

And how much of their material have you actually listened to?

Enough to know that I don't want to hear anything else.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:12 pm 

That covers that.

EternalOath
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:43 am 

I've been listening to a lot of French Les Legions Noire material lately, mainly Mutiilation, Torgeist and Belketre, with a couple random albums thrown around from other artists. Anyone have any personal recommendations of albums or artists from that scene? The discography of bands is pretty extensive and I don't really know where to go next

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:15 am 

Can someone recommend me some raw(ish) fuzz-laden hypnotic black metal from Eastern Europe? I've been meaning to explore that scene. I know the big names of the Ukranian scene as well as Walknut, but not much else.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:58 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
CrushedRevelation, since you like Matricide, what do you think of Kadotus? I found the debut album Seven Glorifications of Evil to be especially similarly spirited (to Black Mass, mostly).

Black Mass Gathering is perhaps even more minimalistic, though. Kadotus has a budding sense of grandeur in the vein of Horna.

Kadotus is a band that has been on my "to buy" list for quite some time now, and I really need to fix this. From what I have heard, I like, and warrants further attention. They are indeed not nearly as minimalistic as Matricide, but they do have that innate sense of melodic, yet majestically damnable Finnish trait. Given the main driving force behind this project, this is not really a surprise, but more a mark of quality. Going to spend some more money...

My collection

FaultyClockwork
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:12 am 

EternalOath wrote:
I've been listening to a lot of French Les Legions Noire material lately, mainly Mutiilation, Torgeist and Belketre, with a couple random albums thrown around from other artists. Anyone have any personal recommendations of albums or artists from that scene? The discography of bands is pretty extensive and I don't really know where to go next

Black Murder's demos are quite good.

Black Coffee
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:06 pm 

I'm on the prowl for elite black metal. Particularly melodic and symphonic bands to the likes of sacramentum, dissection, odium, dawn, obtained enslavement, and windir. I like my black metal old school with raw but not bad production. If you know what I mean. I also enjoy bands such as mayhem, darkthrone, emperor, burzum, early immortal, but who the f*ck doesn't.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:20 pm 

EternalOath wrote:

Bekhira, Insane Vesper, Aven, etc. French BM is pretty radical.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:21 pm 

Why would someone willingly listen to the LLN? Most of those bands make the worst music I've ever heard.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:32 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Why would someone willingly listen to the LLN? Most of those bands make the worst music I've ever heard.

Because Vlad Tepes and Belketre kicks your ass, that's why.

IX Leviathan
Bepsi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:37 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:
Can someone recommend me some raw(ish) fuzz-laden hypnotic black metal from Eastern Europe? I've been meaning to explore that scene. I know the big names of the Ukranian scene as well as Walknut, but not much else.

Ygg, and Dragobrath are a couple that come to mind.
Like holy shit can't you get black out drunk and fist fight someone over a value pick burger in the drive thru and not hear about it for the rest of your life?

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:05 pm 

Marag wrote:
Necroticism174 wrote:

They're ok. Mutiilation is the best of the bunch so far as actually practicing the scientific method of black metal, but the biggest issue here is that looking at the LLN distracts from the greater French black metal world which vastly outstrips the LLN in all positive measures. The LLN is kitschy; French black metal is good.

Hellbeast11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:48 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:

Zaklon
Хлад - То, Чего Не Должно Было Быть
Lugburz Sleed

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:01 am 

John_Sunlight wrote:
The LLN is kitschy; French black metal is good.

Absolute truth here. For the poster looking at French BM, I would also suggest (if unknown already) Antaeus, Aosoth, Darvulia and Arphaxat. All quite dissimilar to one another, but each having their own worthwhile merits in the genre. Also seconding the HELL out of Insane Vesper. The Abomination Of Death album is an unbelievably excellent excursion in black metal as a whole.

My collection

FaultyClockwork
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:45 am 

A lot of people don't give LLN a fair shake simply because of their silly side projects and ultra kvlt shenanigans, but really they produced some good music. Vlad Tepes and Mütiilation cultivated a very unique melancholy in their music, and bands/projects like Belkètre, Black Murder, Brenoritvrezorkre and Aäkon Këëtrëh produced music that can fairly be said to be at least decent if not great.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:53 am 

I like Vlad Tepes and Mutiilation and Vermeth and cool crud like that, but honestly, could you say that Belketre or Brenoritvrezorkre have good riffs? Good arrangements? Like much LLN stuff, they're interesting, have a unique sound and a lot of odd facets, but they aren't black metal like we truly understand black metal which is why I described them before as not practicing the science of black metal. A fanciful way of saying the interest to be derived from them is divergent from that which drives normal black metal and is a combination of their weirdness, genre drift and the complexly evolving narrative structure around them as a whole.

Fair shake or not, it's not the same as other black metal.

FaultyClockwork
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:01 pm 

Black metal is a genre defined by difference, especially in the wake of modern bands like Deathspell Omega who've pushed the limits of what black metal has traditionally been perceived as. Trying to retroactively define black metal around or away from certain bands is limiting in a way that doesn't actually fit the mercurial nature of the genre. I think Belkètre and Brenoritvrezorkre have good riffs, that sound black metal and thus I think they're both good, and black metal.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:04 pm 

I didn't say they aren't black metal, but that they are a tangential form of black metal which doesn't abide by the same standards or evince the same merits. This applies to latter day DSO as well. This isn't necessarily bad, but rather is distracting from the true black metal, particularly nowadays when the truest black metal being produced today is largely disregarded in favor of every and any tangent that comes along (for a variety of reasons, many social). This is why I don't go on too much about Tjolgtjar here, for example.

FaultyClockwork
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:20 pm 

I don't think you can call any slice of black metal "true black metal". If Brenoritvrezorkre were around during its nacense, wouldn't they be "true"? I think you're making somewhat arbitrary definitions here.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:59 pm 

I don't find that thought experiment to have much practical value. History is history.

Hymnofwolves
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:10 am 

I am looking for a band that has long, tremelo riffs comparable to this: http://vemod.bandcamp.com/
Production isn't the issue as long as the riffs sound not too low.

And on a side note: the Ruins of Beverast will be playing live at roadburn. I'll definitely try to be there

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:07 pm 

Quote:
Black metal is a genre defined by difference

That is absolute nonsense. Regardless of remarkable disparity between the extreme ends of the black metal spectrum, black metal is absolutely not defined by it. There is considerable unity between certain groups of bands. Out of all metal genres, black metal is perhaps the most ridiculed for sounding all the same. One reason is that certain mindset that enjoying the style undoubtedly requires (most people - even many metalheads - lack said mindset and cannot understand black metal), another is the immense amount of copycat bands and musicians relentlessly rehashing elements from established classics.

Hymnofwolves wrote:
I am looking for a band that has long, tremelo riffs comparable to this: http://vemod.bandcamp.com/
Production isn't the issue as long as the riffs sound not too low.

And on a side note: the Ruins of Beverast will be playing live at roadburn. I'll definitely try to be there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGo5Tgzlo6o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4I9Udkk9v0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyjeLjFaJrI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_31gFToYx8

:lol:

Sounds promising, I might check out more by Vemod.

EternalOath
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:10 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
EternalOath wrote:

Bekhira, Insane Vesper, Aven, etc. French BM is pretty radical.

I agree. French black metal is never really disappointing in my book. Also, I will check Aven, I have heard the other two. Quite fond of Bekhira, "L'Élu du Mal" is a perfect black metal album.

Thanks to the one dood who recommended Black Murder. Listening now

Marag wrote:
Necroticism174 wrote:

Word. Fuck a hater.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:18 pm 

EternalOath wrote:
"L'Élu du Mal" is a perfect black metal album.

Agreed. I was actually thinking about what were my favorite black metal albums and which I personally felt were the best of the genre and found myself frequently referencing things against "L'Élu du Mal". Also "La Sanie des Siècles - Panégyrique de la Dégénérescence" and "Gloria Burgundia" for those of you keeping score.

litani til satan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:27 am 

Hi im new and dont really know how to use a forum but I really need to find flammentods self titled album. I live in London but I dont mind ordering stuff online, any suggestions?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:31 am 

litani til satan wrote:
Hi im new and dont really know how to use a forum but I really need to find flammentods self titled album. I live in London but I dont mind ordering stuff online, any suggestions?

In the "related links" tab on the band page, right next to "discography", "members" etc., there's a tab for official merchandise links.

FaultyClockwork
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:22 pm 

EternalOath wrote:
Thanks to the one dood who recommended Black Murder. Listening now

Glad you like it.

Ilwhyan wrote:
That is absolute nonsense. Regardless of remarkable disparity between the extreme ends of the black metal spectrum, black metal is absolutely not defined by it. There is considerable unity between certain groups of bands. Out of all metal genres, black metal is perhaps the most ridiculed for sounding all the same. One reason is that certain mindset that enjoying the style undoubtedly requires (most people - even many metalheads - lack said mindset and cannot understand black metal), another is the immense amount of copycat bands and musicians relentlessly rehashing elements from established classics.

Every genre has its rehashes and copycats but I think black metal is at its core one of the most diverse genres of metal. Not being omniscient I have no idea what is actually derided as the most ridiculed as being samey, but I have a hard time believing that it beats out genres like power or thrash. There's obviously similarities, or else it wouldn't be a genre, but I seriously do think that its diversity is part of what makes it special. Maybe "difference" wasn't a great wording though.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:26 am 

FaultyClockwork wrote:
Not being omniscient I have no idea what is actually derided as the most ridiculed as being samey

Being passive-aggressive, or attempting a joke? You can't possibly have missed the amount of black metal humour.

Yes, obviously there is considerably diversity within black metal - I said as much in my post. Perhaps you didn't quite mean what I though you did by saying that "black metal is a genre defined by difference". There is a great amount of bands that are superficially black metal, but are very little in line with the genre's pioneering acts. Many recent bands seemingly push music of different styles into a mould of black metal, so to speak, with buzzing guitars, distorted screams, monotonous drumming and long(winded) compositions.

Zero_Nowhere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:55 am 

FaultyClockwork wrote:
Not being omniscient I have no idea what is actually derided as the most ridiculed as being samey, but I have a hard time believing that it beats out genres like power or thrash. There's obviously similarities, or else it wouldn't be a genre, but I seriously do think that its diversity is part of what makes it special. Maybe "difference" wasn't a great wording though.

There's great diversity in terms of what black metal can sound like.

But in terms of what most BM bands tend to sound like, it gets incredibly samey. There's a reason people talk about Darkclones, Burzum-worship and generic bedroom bands every time the genre gets brought up. Because they outdo the equivalents in other genres (percentage wise, not absolute numbers) - or at least get a lot more respect/promotion from the genres fanbase, which from the POV of everyone outside the fanbase amounts to the same thing.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:12 am 

With Ilwhyan and myself being the most versed black metal generalists around these parts, take my word when I say his analysis of the situation is correct. It is what I was getting at before. Black metal, deep down, has some pretty narrow foundational conceits and you have to like them to be true believers. Any difference in sound can be categorized as either something which adds things to this formula or things which deviate from this formula. This dichotomy is the basis of the logic by which you can determine black metal from anything else.

Black metal fans shouldn't be ashamed of this if they like black metal for what it is rather than what they feel it could or should be.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 231  Next