Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
thealtruist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:47 am 

Hey all, I recently discovered Castevet's Mounds of Ash, it's a great album, specially the second and last tracks, the similar tab gives me Krallice but I'm not sure if it is what I'm looking for, from what I remember of it(have to admit that I'm not very familiar with this type of bm...), anyway can someone point me to a direction?

Amber Gray
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:00 am 

^amazing and absolutely underappreciated album. It is indeed pretty one of a kind though, but Cobalt came to mind pretty quick and I see they're also included in the similar artist tab. Them and Thantifaxath I think would be the best to check out of all those.

[New release] Noosefiller - Noosefilller (Technical/Progressive Black Metal)
Q'uq'umatz (Avant-garde/progressive metal/psychedelic/noise rock)

thealtruist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:03 pm 

Never heard about these, thanks I'll definitely check them out.

Aikanaro
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:22 am 

Looking for triumphant/prideful sounding black metal. Something to pump me up in the mornings. Preferably whole albums but I’ll take individual songs too. Something along the Finnish or NSBM sound. Hopefully I’m making sense.

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:28 am 

Aikanaro wrote:
Looking for triumphant/prideful sounding black metal. Something to pump me up in the mornings. Preferably whole albums but I’ll take individual songs too. Something along the Finnish or NSBM sound. Hopefully I’m making sense.

Havukruunu - discography
Blood Stronghold - The Triumph of Wolfish Destiny (start with the song "Envenom the Viscera of Revenge")
Mooncitadel (especially the song "A Thousand Winters Bury My Heart")
Nefaria - True Honor
Nordvrede - Confrontation
Cénotaphe
Fin - Arrows of a Dying Age
Drenglyndr

Edit: another one maybe Nornir - "Valhalla's Call"

ingmar birdman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:12 am 

Aikanaro wrote:

Good recs above. I would include:

Pagan Hellfire - On the Path to Triumph
Purity Renaissance - s/t
Lutomysl - Decadence
Totale Vernichtung - Feuerbestattung

~Guest 277521
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:16 am 

Pagan Hellfire... now that's a name that I haven't seen in a long time. I'll have to revisit those albums.

ingmar birdman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:26 am 

maladie wrote:
Pagan Hellfire... now that's a name that I haven't seen in a long time. I'll have to revisit those albums.

Hails... I only discovered him when his 2018 album came out, which is also excellent. Very unique music.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:18 pm 

Pagan Hellfire and Lutomysl. 2 of my favorites. Everything by PH from "The Will of Night" to the latest album are gems. One of the most complete true solo artists ever IMO.

As for Lutomysl, my favs are probably De Profundis, the self titled and Ecce Homo, but everything Decadence and later are great.

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:11 am 

Can anyone name me a few bands similar to Wolves in the Throne room? Loved these guys when i first checked them out

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:30 am 

mike_87 wrote:
Can anyone name me a few bands similar to Wolves in the Throne room? Loved these guys when i first checked them out

Earth and Pillars
Enisum

Patrizza
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:46 pm 

I am looking for more black metal songs that have the dance-like beat.
Examples:

Thanks in advance

Bronan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:10 pm 

mike_87 wrote:

Salvaticus - https://salvaticus.bandcamp.com/

~Guest 454771
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:29 pm 

Aikanaro wrote:

Hellveto's "Neoheresy" fits the bill, though it also isn't NSBM, so that may be a positive or a negative for you. :P

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:43 am 

Aikanaro wrote:

Sigrblot - Blodsband (Blood Religion Manifest)

Phosphorus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:14 am 

I'm trying to find a band that I listened to right around 2011. They were a black/sludge band with I think only one or two full lengths at the time. The album I remember had 2 songs on it, the first one was 17 or so minutes and the second was also long. Unfortunately that's all I remember, any help figuring the band out would be greatly appreciated.

IcyScythe
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:04 am 

Looking for anything like Mayhem's more progressive albums, especially Esoteric Warfare. I like that although it's fairly odd it's very much still riff based (unlike some of Blut Aus Bird's more out there stuff for instance). Whole album's riffs just rip.

TheMeh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:13 pm 

~Guest 354281 wrote:
TheMeh wrote:
Can anyone kind of just give me a basic starter pack of good black metal bands (excluding Behemoth and the oh-so-obligatory Penis Metal EP from Hades Archer)? I've never really taken a minute to listen to the genre or find enough of the genre to appreciate or like, and it's honestly something I want to do more of.

Pretty much taking any and all suggestions. Whether they're PMs or straightforward replies is fine, I just want something to listen to from the genre.

there's plenty of bands i could suggest, so instead of listing a bunch of bands I'm going to give you links for songs that mean the most to me, starting with the ones that got me into BM in the 1st place all to way to more recent stuff, you can take your pick of what suits you better

Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iaj2w7Bp58

Dark Funeral - The Secrets of The Black Arts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0UfxDUacPE

Thy Primordial - The Crowning Carnage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNyL3SJXY50

Dimmu Borgir - In Death's Embrace
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laTpy0i9J0g

Emperor - The Loss and Curse of Reverence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ItETLB23Pw

Burzum - Jesu død
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXu8M6q6v84

Immortal - At the Heart of Winter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yye3o22tDus

Setherial - Enemy of Creation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuHA_xo_oAs

Watain - Malfeitor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYwCbMfpeqM

Drudkh - Furrows of Gods
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DzTHCRmyKs

Marduk - Souls For Belial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUWOqr_AJvI

Wolves In The Throne Room - Vastness & Sorrow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO2Yaybtqh8

Wiegedood - Kwaad Bloed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CMUAqVJJ64

Mgla - Exercises In Futility V
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bINcxA29QEE

Batushka - Yekteniya 4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl1ctqYy-_Q

Avslut - Martyrium
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3j3hId6qsk

Asphagor - The Solipsist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pat-397riIs

Gaerea - Catharsis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkObUc-HSRE

this is just from the top of my head, let me know if you need more, I'm sure lots of people have much more to suggest as well

Ok. SO.
I'd be lying if I said I pushed this off heavily, but I wanted to 100% thank you for these recs you gave me. Not going to lie to ya, it's helped me find some good shit out of the genre. "Jesu dod" from Burzum in particular - Filosofem and Hvis lyset tar oss in general are my new favorite album right now (although that might be a slight overstatement - there's a lot of "favorites" out there).

Darkthrone sounds like a really fun band, and I might hardcore jump onto Transilvanian Hunger at a later point, but I've realized as well I think I like to hear a more... "polished" sound? I can put up with as raw as it is, but Burzum really set up a whole other standard in my mind, and the album itself is... in that weird realm of sound. Regardless - it's really good either way, and I quite enjoy it.

Irony is, Dark Funeral fits perfectly into what I'd want to find in the genre. I hardcore commend you for this rec, because "The Secret of the Black Arts" is a killer song - and I'm probably going to dedicate time to listening to its respective album as well. The same can be said for "The Crowning Carnage", from Thy Primordial. Honestly killed the recs on this one, for sure.

Immortal, as well, shares that interesting kind of groove to it - and I'm definitely bound to listen to the full album this song's on (honestly the strangest thing about this band to me is that this song sounds almost medieval-y or slightly power. Which... it's not, but I kind of get that strange realm of atmosphere from it).

It should also be mentioned that both Dimmu Borgir and Emperor have never really treated me badly as bands, so I can assure you that I will equally be able to enjoy both rather well. And I do! Your recs on that end were great!

I know this is just a handful of them - and I do wish to get to all of them, because, as far as recommendations go, yours are honestly stellar. If anything, though, I'm inclined to return more to this particular set of recommendations later on. But most of the names left are kind of familiar to me now, and some even look good. Eyeing Gaerea quite a bit right now, frankly! But yeah... I gotta thank you. You've really helped me get deeper into this genre.

Sick6Six wrote:
^Those are good, I love seeing Thy Primordial on that list ;) There's always the obvious Norwegian bands everyone usually starts with (Burzum, Darkthrone, Immortal, Mayhem, etc) For Marduk I still think Opus Nocturne is their most classic.

Some others:
Urgehal - Goatcraft Torment

Judas Iscariot - To Embrace the Corpses Bleeding (his last, but my favorite album)

These 3 Finnish bands are kind of a package deal:
Horna - first demo "Hiidentorni" and their albums "Envaatnags Eflos Solf Esgantaavne" and "Sanojesi äärelle"

Behexen - "By the Blessing" "From the Devil's Chalice" "Poisonous Path" Horna/Behexen Split

Sargeist - All the albums

I also should throw some appreciation towards you, since you also threw some great recs my way. Judas Iscariot was recommended to me some time ago again, and I've definitely listened to some of them - particularly, a few songs off "Thy Dying Light" that intrigued me (although the drums and slightly generic sounding vocals are kind of offputting to me?). Your recommendation does better to address some of those glaring issues I found prior in Thy Dying Light, though, so... hey! Great things there. Same kind of realm of understanding kinda applies to Urgehal, as well, ironically. All and all, two great recommendations.

I'll begin to dedicate some times towards Horna, Behexen and Sargeist after this reply goes live, but I do appreciate all the recommendations.

I'm glad to say I'm really starting to get into black metal here. You guys really helped me find some great stuff. Thank you for that.

~Guest 454771
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:13 pm 

IcyScythe wrote:
Looking for anything like Mayhem's more progressive albums, especially Esoteric Warfare. I like that although it's fairly odd it's very much still riff based (unlike some of Blut Aus Bird's more out there stuff for instance). Whole album's riffs just rip.

If you are not already familiar with it, check out Dodheimsgard's "A Umbra Omega". It might seem like a stretch because Mayhem is straight black metal and that DHG album has long songs with elements of dark jazz mixed into the metal, but I believe they are connected by a similar approach to similar themes. Musically they are both thinly produced, off-kilter, filled with weird riffs, strange drones, and both enjoy a vocal delivery akin to a one man show about a drug trip. Thematically the lyrics of both albums are grasping at concepts of indescribable grandeur (good and evil) and the impossibility of human comprehension of the totality of forces greater than mankind. Both seek to musically express this anxiety through pained performances. Mayhem approaches this is a more aggressive way, DHG in a more aloof way, but the connection is still strong imo. Personally I think AUO is closer to OAC than EW, but YMMV. :)

~Guest 454771
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:15 pm 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
Aikanaro wrote:

Sigrblot - Blodsband (Blood Religion Manifest)

I don't get a Triumphant vibe from Sigrblot, but I do love their cover art.

I remembered Bilskirnir as a rec, however. Triumphant and prideful sounding and definitely NS. Is this what you want...?

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:38 pm 

TheMeh wrote:
Irony is, Dark Funeral fits perfectly into what I'd want to find in the genre. I hardcore commend you for this rec, because "The Secret of the Black Arts" is a killer song - and I'm probably going to dedicate time to listening to its respective album as well. The same can be said for "The Crowning Carnage", from Thy Primordial. Honestly killed the recs on this one, for sure.

Immortal, as well, shares that interesting kind of groove to it - and I'm definitely bound to listen to the full album this song's on (honestly the strangest thing about this band to me is that this song sounds almost medieval-y or slightly power. Which... it's not, but I kind of get that strange realm of atmosphere from it).

Sick6Six wrote:
^Those are good, I love seeing Thy Primordial on that list ;) There's always the obvious Norwegian bands everyone usually starts with (Burzum, Darkthrone, Immortal, Mayhem, etc) For Marduk I still think Opus Nocturne is their most classic.

Some others:

Judas Iscariot - To Embrace the Corpses Bleeding (his last, but my favorite album)

Horna - first demo "Hiidentorni" and their albums "Envaatnags Eflos Solf Esgantaavne" and "Sanojesi äärelle"

Behexen - "By the Blessing" "From the Devil's Chalice" "Poisonous Path" Horna/Behexen Split

I also should throw some appreciation towards you, since you also threw some great recs my way. Judas Iscariot was recommended to me some time ago again, and I've definitely listened to some of them - particularly, a few songs off "Thy Dying Light" that intrigued me (although the drums and slightly generic sounding vocals are kind of offputting to me?). Your recommendation does better to address some of those glaring issues I found prior in Thy Dying Light, though, so... hey! Great things there. Same kind of realm of understanding kinda applies to Urgehal, as well, ironically. All and all, two great recommendations.

I'll begin to dedicate some times towards Horna, Behexen and Sargeist after this reply goes live, but I do appreciate all the recommendations.

I'm glad to say I'm really starting to get into black metal here. You guys really helped me find some great stuff. Thank you for that.

I just sent you a PM, but I wanted to reply more to your response from the other guys reqs. The Crowning Carnage was one of my favorite albums for a long time, I wrote a review on it a long time ago which I ended up deleting like an idiot along with most of my others. Jesu Tod is one of the best BM songs even though I've never considered Burzum to be one of my favorite bands at all. Dark Funeral is a weird one, their mid-era albums are kinda sterile sounding, but their latest release was pretty darn good. They were awesome in concert, but I still barely ever listen to them. Immortal was probably the band that first really made it all click for me, Pure Holocaust, Battles in the North, At the Heart of Winter and Sons of Northern Darkness (I love in my Kingdom Cold, One by One and the title track). I also prefer the last Judas Iscariot album and the EP to all his earlier stuff, same thing with the last few Urgehal albums. I can give you more reqs along the lines of the bands you enjoy most, just let me know.

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:56 pm 

TheMeh wrote:

Nordjevel's album from this year may be up your alley.

TheMeh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:17 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
TheMeh wrote:

Sick6Six wrote:

Some others:

I just sent you a PM, but I wanted to reply more to your response from the other guys reqs. The Crowning Carnage was one of my favorite albums for a long time, I wrote a review on it a long time ago which I ended up deleting like an idiot along with most of my others. Jesu Tod is one of the best BM songs even though I've never considered Burzum to be one of my favorite bands at all. Dark Funeral is a weird one, their mid-era albums are kinda sterile sounding, but their latest release was pretty darn good. They were awesome in concert, but I still barely ever listen to them. Immortal was probably the band that first really made it all click for me, Pure Holocaust, Battles in the North, At the Heart of Winter and Sons of Northern Darkness (I love in my Kingdom Cold, One by One and the title track). I also prefer the last Judas Iscariot album and the EP to all his earlier stuff, same thing with the last few Urgehal albums. I can give you more reqs along the lines of the bands you enjoy most, just let me know.

You'll see I've sent a response your way, but irregardless - yeah, I'll take anything I can get, rec-wise! So far everything's been great.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:21 pm 

Xenophon wrote:

Yeah that was one of my favorites of the year for that style, thought about putting it in my top 3 actually, but was in a different mood at the time. Avslut was another one that I still haven't listened to enough.

TheMeh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:19 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
Xenophon wrote:

Yeah that was one of my favorites of the year for that style, thought about putting it in my top 3 actually, but was in a different mood at the time. Avslut was another one that I still haven't listened to enough.

Giving 'er a listen right now. Honestly sounds awesome! As does Avslut.

I did a bit of self-sleuthing and listened to some Skogen and Silencer's 'Death - Pierce Me'. Must say, the latter is... VERY depressing and hard to listen to - but the former is awesome. "I doden" is honestly fantastic.

Phosphorus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:05 pm 

Phosphorus wrote:
I'm trying to find a band that I listened to right around 2011. They were a black/sludge band with I think only one or two full lengths at the time. The album I remember had 2 songs on it, the first one was 17 or so minutes and the second was also long. Unfortunately that's all I remember, any help figuring the band out would be greatly appreciated.

Found it! Not exactly what I remember but still good shit.

https://ensorcelor.bandcamp.com/album/crucifuge

Damballah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:29 pm 

Any japanese keyboard Black Metal Bands? Not stating symphonic because i don't want to listen classic or an orchestra... Just good old second wave keyboard. Most japanese stuff i've heard is way to dilettante and raw..the few good bands i know from japan are thrash/black.

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:27 pm 

Anyone know any good black metal bands from the Czech republic? a death metal band came up from there on my radio earlier and havent really researched much into bands from there.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:49 am 

mike_87 wrote:
Anyone know any good black metal bands from the Czech republic? a death metal band came up from there on my radio earlier and havent really researched much into bands from there.

There are some good ones and some obscure ones I still need to listen to more. Sekhment is one that I think is highly unknown and pretty darn good. I really like their Spiritual Eclipse album and their 2019 album seems just as good, but I only listened to it once so far. This was a good workout album for me for awhile.

Edit: Enforced Discipline is another killer song, they have the full album on bandcamp, but not much at all on youtube. As you can see I'm one of the only supporters :(

https://sekhmetczech.bandcamp.com/album/spiritual-eclipse

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:30 pm 

mike_87 wrote:

maniac fucking butcher man! some would say they are the essence of traditional "2nd wave" BM (at least aesthetically ;)).
seriously, they were a great band with a big discography, check them out. their side project dark storm is noteworthy too (I'd recommend their four lucan emperors EP, as you are into blasty BM if I recall correctly).
then there's inferno, whose discog is divided into two eras basically. first half is more traditional pagan black metal (way better than their second era IMO), second is more esoteric/anti-cosmic/whatever stuff. they basically changed a lot with the departure of their guiatrist azazel. check out silva nigra too.
if you're into more modern, esoteric BM, try cult of fire.

edit: I suppose you are aware of the old masters master's hammer from czechia? first two albums are essential.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

Karpanians
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:05 pm 

I'm new to black metal, and looking for some bands with shrieking vocals.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:14 pm 

If you want shrieking vocals check out every Nightwish album between 1995 and 2006.

For good black metal recommendations you gotta be a little more specific.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

~Guest 454771
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:13 pm 

I believe tank genocide and granatas have shrieking vocals.

So, I've been blasting "Table of Uncreation" by Havohej, the album that was shockingly snubbed in the AOTY poll right here on the metal archives (no thanks to me because I didn't vote :( ) and I have concluded that it is extremely excellent with its use of noise in black metal combined with good musicianship. I've heard a fair few black metal albums that use noise and industrial sounds, but most go for the extremely overblown rawness which usually translates to having no sensibilities about what makes an interesting noise recording (or black metal recording for that matter). Do you folks know any good recs of bands that combine black metal and noise which demonstrate some skill in the fair arts of musical performance and composition? I know this might be a tall order. Thanks!

Last edited by ~Guest 454771 on Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:16 pm 

What I like about that album is that in some of the songs especially the first one you can trace back to how Ledney was a founding member of Incantation. It's more deathy than the previous album and I loved that.

~Guest 454771
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:25 pm 

As did I. The variety in drumming and even letting the bass take the lead to tap out little melodies while the noise undulates over top made for a lot of subtle evil in what on the surface could appear to be a very monolithic album. There's a deliberateness which contrasts nicely with the balls out savagery of KP (also an amazing A+ album).

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:27 pm 

Unfortunately recommendations are limited because if you're well-endowed enough to listen to Havohej you already know the Abruptum demos.

~Guest 454771
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:45 pm 

Yeah, those would be an excellent rec if I didn't already know them. Good for anyone else reading who wasn't aware though. Check em out ^ :)

The only other example that comes to mind immediately is Reverend Kriss Hades, another personal fav. Ithdabquth Qliphoth sort of fits as well but the noise use is a lot more incidental there.

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:23 pm 

then I guess you do know clandestine blaze as well. they tend so have one BM/noise hybrid song per album or so.

what about some akitsa? maybe try la grande infamy.

generally, you may also find some good stuff if you try searching around O.T. of akitsa's label tour de garde and/or hospital productions.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

Karpanians
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:39 pm 

Quote:

Sorry about that.
I'm looking for raw production along with shrieking vocals. No NSBM please.
I'm not looking for anything else.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:40 pm 

Crusher_of_Spirits wrote:
Quote:

Sorry about that.
I'm looking for raw production along with shrieking vocals. No NSBM please.
I'm not looking for anything else.

Shrieking could mean anything. Can you give some examples?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 207, 208, 209, 210, 211, 212, 213 ... 231  Next