Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:31 pm 

meowsophy wrote:
Might sound like an odd request but...black thrash with a production like rawish ambient black (ie say Black Cilice, as opposed to the crust/Hellhammer type production that is sometimes seen in this genre).

Hmm that's a tough one. I would be interested to hear of any bands like this to, not sure how it would be pulled off.

exemper wrote:
I'm looking for bands with a concept, costumes etc like Mephorash, Cult of Fire and Batushka

Imperial Triumphant

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:19 am 

Xenophon wrote:
exemper wrote:
I'm looking for bands with a concept, costumes etc like Mephorash, Cult of Fire and Batushka

Imperial Triumphant

Irkallian Oracle. They play black/death.

lord_kavi
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:36 pm 

Does it only sound creepy to me?
What do you think?
https://open.spotify.com/artist/53PeQRxhW1zAUW5xoAIjYH

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:56 am 

lord_kavi wrote:
Does it only sound creepy to me?
What do you think?
https://open.spotify.com/artist/53PeQRxhW1zAUW5xoAIjYH

Is that your band?

Denpafighter978VGCP
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:42 am 

I am in need of new bands to check out. I’m looking for melodic black metal that has a sound similar to Vried or “Reinkaos” era Dissection that uses clean vocals as well as harsh vocals

What bands are like this?

thealtruist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:31 am 

Need more stuff like Selbst, their new album is one of the best bm that I heard in recent years. A lesser amount of vocals would be much appreciated, and a more post-y sound too, ty.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:26 am 

thealtruist wrote:
Need more stuff like Selbst, their new album is one of the best bm that I heard in recent years. A lesser amount of vocals would be much appreciated, and a more post-y sound too, ty.

Maybe Antlers?

https://ntlrs.bandcamp.com/album/beneath-below-behold

Steel_Jaw
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:20 pm 

I'm looking for avant-garde black metal in the vein of Abigor's 'Time is the Sulphur in the Veins of the Saint' and 'Fractal Possession'. The only band that I found that comes close to this is NEDXXX, which is a project by members of Abigor and Deathspell Omega. So it seems to me that the only people that can pull this unique style off are the guys in Abigor. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance :)

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:11 am 

Steel_Jaw wrote:
I'm looking for avant-garde black metal in the vein of Abigor's 'Time is the Sulphur in the Veins of the Saint' and 'Fractal Possession'. The only band that I found that comes close to this is NEDXXX, which is a project by members of Abigor and Deathspell Omega. So it seems to me that the only people that can pull this unique style off are the guys in Abigor. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance :)

This is a really hard request, not many black metal musicians are even at their level of playing, let alone that deranged songwriting :lol:

The closest i've heard recently is Thy Darkened Shade's album Liber Lvcifer. It does not feel as cold and "mechanical" as the Abigor albums, but it does share the incredible technical skill, the frantic playing and the heavy use of dissonance

Steel_Jaw
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:45 pm 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
Steel_Jaw wrote:

This is a really hard request, not many black metal musicians are even at their level of playing, let alone that deranged songwriting :lol:

The closest i've heard recently is Thy Darkened Shade's album Liber Lvcifer. It does not feel as cold and "mechanical" as the Abigor albums, but it does share the incredible technical skill, the frantic playing and the heavy use of dissonance

Thanks for the reply :) I was already aware that not much black metal bands play at the level of Abigor. That album by Thy Darkened Shade was already on my radar, but haven't checked it out yet. Thanks for the recommendation, must check it out asap :)

sjal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:02 am 

Hello.
Sorry in advance if my request is too vague.
Could anyone recommend some vocal-oriented black metal albums with wide and unusual variety of clean + harsh vocals (the weirder - the better, but preferably without any electro-distortion and vocal samples)?
I've always wanted to find a black metal version of Void of Silence's debut:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcbSJDdvnBQ
It doesn't have to be ''slow and mid tempo only'', actually, a presence of both slow and fast parts on an album would be a plus.

HviteGuden
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:45 am 

sjal wrote:
vocal-oriented black metal albums with wide and unusual variety of clean + harsh vocals (the weirder - the better, but preferably without any electro-distortion and vocal samples)?

Dødsengel is exactly what you need. The 2nd and especially the 3rd full-length albums have it all.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:06 am 

sjal wrote:
Hello.
Sorry in advance if my request is too vague.
Could anyone recommend some vocal-oriented black metal albums with wide and unusual variety of clean + harsh vocals (the weirder - the better, but preferably without any electro-distortion and vocal samples)?
I've always wanted to find a black metal version of Void of Silence's debut:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcbSJDdvnBQ
It doesn't have to be ''slow and mid tempo only'', actually, a presence of both slow and fast parts on an album would be a plus.

I immediately tought of Dolorian's Voidwards, even if i wouln't call it vocal oriented: the cleans are often almost spoken, but it shares a lot in terms of atmosphere with early Void of Silence

sjal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:12 am 

HviteGuden, Morn Of Solace, thanks for the recommendations!

HviteGuden wrote:
Dødsengel is exactly what you need. The 2nd and especially the 3rd full-length albums have it all.

I've listened to the album "Imperator", and I have to say that the variety of vocals on this album is really spectacular! All the harsh vocals are excellent and all the clean vocals are so interesting and unusual!

As for the music, to me, it's more of a mid and fast tempo album with some slow parts.
I'm actually hoping to find quite an opposite: mostly slow tempo music with occasional fast parts that bring some variety of moods and make an album a bit less depressive (for me, at least).
On the other hand, the music is definitely not too complex / not too chaotic and there are many parts where the music is very repetitive, which is a big plus. I like all the non-metal elements as well. The slow sections with that specific sinister/ritualistic/psychedelic atmosphere are especially good. It's also very helpful that the album has a few moments of sadness and melancholy, -- so I'm sure I can get into it. And I'll check the album "Mirium Occultum" as well.

Morn Of Solace wrote:
I immediately tought of Dolorian's Voidwards, even if i wouln't call it vocal oriented: the cleans are often almost spoken, but it shares a lot in terms of atmosphere with early Void of Silence

Yes, the album "Voidwards" by Dolorian is the obligatory mention for this request. :)
The atmosphere and the unusual clean + harsh vocals on this album are exactly what I'm looking for.
The drums are a bit too intense and interesting, but it's just impossible for me to concentrate on any music-related details while listening to this album, and the rest of music (the guitars and non-metal elements) is quite repetitive so I tend to follow the vocals most of the time (it also helps me to find some direction in that psychedelic atmosphere).

Edit: I've checked a few ''Slow black metal'' requests on MA and found some songs/albums that are very good examples of repetitive black metal music and atmosphere/mood + some interesting vocals that I'm looking for.
https://youtu.be/smp3uOve0T8 - this one is especially good because it has some fast parts that make the music a bit less monotonous and depressing. Songs similar to this one, but with some strange/unusual clean vocals and with some variety of harsh vocals + some audible 'actual' words/lyrics in singing (the sound of the harsh vocals is perfect though - it's just ''as weird as possible'') + and maybe with a little smoother tempo changes (transition from slow to very fast part and vice versa) will fit perfectly into this request.
https://youtu.be/n1X5hD1xe5k - another great example: musically (there are almost no very fast parts overall, but there are many parts where the drums are quite intense - and that's enough for me) + amazing atmosphere/mood and non-metal elements + I love the harsh vocals as well.
https://youtu.be/XxbbQopjws0 - this song is a great example of a variety of unusual clean vocals (the singing at the beginning of a song sounds like some vocal sample for me, but at least it doesn't have distorted sound, so I don't mind it), plus the extreme vocals are excellent too.
Musically, this song is also good: it has very atmospheric and sinister slow/mid tempo parts, and it also has fast and intense parts.

jugchord07
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:23 am 

Looking for some riffy black metal with thick guitar tone or some very audible bass. Also stuff in the vein of Krallice would be nice too

Review requests http://www.metal-archives.com/board/vie ... hp?t=74246

My blog http://foulfeast.blogspot.com

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:18 am 

jugchord07 wrote:
Looking for some riffy black metal with thick guitar tone or some very audible bass. Also stuff in the vein of Krallice would be nice too

Maybe it's a bit more melodic than what are you looking for, but when i think of good, audible bass the first album that comes to mind is Thy Serpent's Forests of Witchery. You can try the first and the fifth track to see if it's your thing

For the "in the vein of Krallice" part of the request you can check out Vaura's second album. They are less showy in terms of technical skill and more melodic, but their approach with highly unusual streams of chords reminds me a bit of Krallice

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:15 pm 

jugchord07 wrote:

this maybe be a pretty unusual recommendation because of the warm sound and rather slow speed, but check out fluisteraars's "t'hondslog" demo. it's up on youtube.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

jugchord07
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:49 am 

Really digging Thy Serpent and that demo! Vaura is going to take some growing I feel but I think I'll warm up to it more. Haven't been listening to many melodic things lately so that Thy Serpent took me by surprise

Review requests http://www.metal-archives.com/board/vie ... hp?t=74246

My blog http://foulfeast.blogspot.com

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:22 am 

jugchord07 wrote:
Really digging Thy Serpent and that demo! Vaura is going to take some growing I feel but I think I'll warm up to it more. Haven't been listening to many melodic things lately so that Thy Serpent took me by surprise

Glad you liked! Another really melodic, oddly warm and with good bass album that i always suggest is the last Spite Extreme Wing album, a little gem from the italian scene. Not understanding the well written lyrics takes away some of the charm, but let me know if it works for you!

I'll link this song, the bass/guitar work at 2:57 makes me happy :)

soverysorry
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:29 am 

Is there any medieval black metal that comes close to being as good as Peste Noire's "La Sanie des Siecles"?

What a goddamned fucking good album. Ungfell do a job of getting close to that sound. But still, a league below PN

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:58 am 

soverysorry wrote:
Is there any medieval black metal that comes close to being as good as Peste Noire's "La Sanie des Siecles"?

What a goddamned fucking good album. Ungfell do a job of getting close to that sound. But still, a league below PN

Aorlhac's L'esprit des vents it's quite mind blowing. It's less filthy sounding than the PN one, but still a tour de force of beautiful, medieval riffs

Véhémence's Par le sang versé is also fairly close in quality, i really reccomend that too

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:03 pm 

speaking of medieval-ish BM from france, try checking out sühnopfer too.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

soverysorry
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:03 am 

Cheers! I had checked out Suhnopfer before. He's good, but I find the medieval elements of his work reside more in the artwork, aesthetic, lyrics, etc and not the actual music. The music is quite technical for black metal, and I find if you're not actively paying attention, you will miss out on the details of his riffage, and it is the technicality and musicianship of his riffs that make his music good.

Listened to Aorlhac yesterday too! Good band. Not quite in the same vein as PN, but very solid, bombastic and interesting riffs with a medieval flavour. Even sounds a bit power metally at times!

I've come to accept that it will be impossible to find a band that replicates PN's sound because well PN is so goddamn unique.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:22 am 

I understand, i have really hard time thinking that someone can replicate that style. Regardless of what i personally think about the guy, Famine is a really one of a kind guitarist

there was some bands of his circle that tried to emulate the early PN sound (Baise Ma Hache, Sale Freux...) but i always found them terribly mediocre. The only album that surprised me was Autarcie's Sequania, which i think captured a glimpse of that sound. You can try that!

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:15 am 

There's definitely medieval black metal that's better than PN but I'm one of those people that think PN are incredibly mediocre, their only good album is La Sanie des siècles. A few albums I could think of:

Mystras: https://i-voidhangerrecords.bandcamp.co ... -reclaimed

Obsequiae: https://listen.20buckspin.com/album/ari ... al-tombs-2

Stormkeep: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql43vf4vkEw

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:20 am 

personally I'm not into KPN either except for their lorraine rehearsal, and I've never seen their sound as being too medieval either - but then again, maybe I'm not familiar enough with their sound.
obsequiae might indeed be not too far off.

two different takes on medieval BM are

diamond eyed princess: https://diamondeyedprincess.bandcamp.com/

godkiller (monaco): second demo/MCD.

also, do you know the meads of asphodel? they definitely have a medieval vibe, but then again they are, well, different from everything else. also, not similar to KPN.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

soverysorry
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:33 am 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
I understand, i have really hard time thinking that someone can replicate that style. Regardless of what i personally think about the guy, Famine is a really one of a kind guitarist

there was some bands of his circle that tried to emulate the early PN sound (Baise Ma Hache, Sale Freux...) but i always found them terribly mediocre. The only album that surprised me was Autarcie's Sequania, which i think captured a glimpse of that sound. You can try that!

Yeah, I'd checked out those bands previously as well. You're right about them. Though I feel BMH are somewhat decent. Nowhere near as good as PN but they do an ok job of emulating that "feel". It's hard to describe what PN's sound is. But you know exactly what it is. I'll check out Autarcie, cheers!

into_the_pit wrote:
personally I'm not into KPN either except for their lorraine rehearsal, and I've never seen their sound as being too medieval either - but then again, maybe I'm not familiar enough with their sound.

It's really just his first album that has very medieval vibes, hence why I specified it in my original post. I do love most of PN's discography but La Sanie des Siecles has a special place in my heart.

Gravetemplar wrote:
There's definitely medieval black metal that's better than PN but I'm one of those people that think PN are incredibly mediocre, their only good album is La Sanie des siècles. A few albums I could think of:

Mystras: https://i-voidhangerrecords.bandcamp.co ... -reclaimed

Obsequiae: https://listen.20buckspin.com/album/ari ... al-tombs-2

Stormkeep: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql43vf4vkEw

into_the_pit wrote:
two different takes on medieval BM are

diamond eyed princess: https://diamondeyedprincess.bandcamp.com/

godkiller (monaco): second demo/MCD.

also, do you know the meads of asphodel? they definitely have a medieval vibe, but then again they are, well, different from everything else. also, not similar to KPN

Thanks for the recs! I've heard of the name Meads of Asphodel. Their MA page leads me to believe they're worth a listen. Any album in particular?

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:34 am 

Obsequiae to me nail perfectly the medieval sounding melodies, but sound a bit too clean in contrast to the dirty, punkish attitude that PN has. Nonetheless they are a great band, i've enjoyed a lot Aria of Vernal Tombs lately!

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:14 am 

soverysorry wrote:
Thanks for the recs! I've heard of the name Meads of Asphodel. Their MA page leads me to believe they're worth a listen. Any album in particular?

I'm by no means familiar with their whole discography, but I'd say start with the early years compilation. it's pretty diverse, perhaps it'll point you in a certain direction as to where to start exploring them.

my personal faves are the murder of jesus the jew, their part on the split with mayhem, and especially the latest one, running out of time doing nothing. although that one in particular has no medieval vibes at all.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:24 am 

come to think of it, I just thought of another one that might fit your request. enter crepuscule d'hiver, who are hailing from france (again):

https://crepusculedhiver.bandcamp.com
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

soverysorry
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:14 pm 

This guy is sick! Really enjoying this, thanks for that rec. Why does France have such good black metal!?

DawgyDaw
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:23 pm 

Where do I go from here? It seems like I really crave a certain type of raw sound, these are my favourite albums that have a sound I'm looking for:

Akista - La Grande Infamie
Akitsa - Grands Tyrans
Burzum - Hvis lyset tar oss
Burzum - Filosofem
Darkthrone - Under a Funeral Moon
Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger
Mütiilation - Vampires of Black Imperial Blood

Please help, thank you.

EDIT: Oops, forgot to mention Paysage D'Hiver - Self-titled
Also thanks to those two who have already given suggestions. This is a very busy time in my life so I'm not sure when exactly I'll be able to listen to them but I have jotted them down and will definitely give them a listen :)

Last edited by DawgyDaw on Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:05 am 

Evilfeast's Lost Horizons of Wisdom should be of your liking, it's an excellent combination of rawness and atmosphere

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:20 am 

DawgyDaw wrote:
Where do I go from here? It seems like I really crave a certain type of raw sound, these are my favourite albums that have a sound I'm looking for:

Akista - La Grande Infamie
Akitsa - Grands Tyrans
Burzum - Hvis lyset tar oss
Burzum - Filosofem
Darkthrone - Under a Funeral Moon
Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger
Mütiilation - Vampires of Black Imperial Blood

Please help, thank you.

Katharsis - Worl Without End
Cultes des Ghoules - Henbane

YesIam
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:45 pm 

soverysorry wrote:

I think Autarcie did a really good job in catching that "La Sanie des Siecles" vibe with "Horizons funestes" which I personally consider to be absolutely amazing and a beast of an album. Sale Freux' "Crèvecœur" (and several of his other albums) also comes close to catching that vibe, but I think the vast majority will be very turned off by the drum sound. I've come to accept it and love pretty much every single Sale Freux album, but with the drum sound they tend to go for I really understand that people get turned off by it.

Nothing actually beats "La Sanie des Siecles" tho.

Flugeldufel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:51 pm 

Can anyone recommend something that's fast as hell, trebly, maybe some old Slayer style to the riffs? Think Absu around Ioldanach or Tara. I like shit like Nifelheim, Aura Noir, Kreator, etc. Any recs would be appreciated.

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:59 pm 

nocturnal witch; some banging black/thrash from germany. I'd pick the debut.
nocturnal breed; long-running black/thrash from norway. I'd also pick the debut, or fields of rot for something later.
hellripper; check them out for some riffy black/speed stuff. I'd pick the debut, but the comp is alright too. latest one is not so good imo.
also, desaster obviously.

the first two may not be fast enough for you though. killer stuff nonetheless.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:21 pm 

I feel like there's a whole world of black metal that I would like, and over the years I have accumulated a decent number of bands I enjoy in the subgenre, but my exploration is often slow and unproductive in this area, so maybe I can find something more targeted.

Some traits I'm looking for:

*Higher production values
*Atmospheric synthesizers, preferably not overtly symphonic unless really well done, I'm thinking more electronic, though not necessarily overly industrial either
*Clean female vocals would be a plus
*Chunky guitars, lower-tuned is often better

What I have in my head is a mixture of the guitars and vocals of later Darzamat, the ethereality and vocals of Lethian Dreams, but with synths and vibe more akin to Burzum's "Det Som En Gang Var". Cradle of Filth probably sometimes fits the bill technically, but I'm aiming for less hammy and more somber. If it's hard to find music with all four traits, maybe there's something that only meets 2-3 traits, but excels at those, and would be worth considering.

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:29 pm 

that's pretty specific. do you always approach music or genres in such an "analytical" way (in lack of a better descriptor)?

on topic: I have a feeling (most) BM is just not for you. at least two of your characteristics are rather atypical/counter-intuitive with regards to BM. I can't think of anything right now that would fit your request.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:14 pm 

into_the_pit wrote:
that's pretty specific. do you always approach music or genres in such an "analytical" way (in lack of a better descriptor)?

on topic: I have a feeling (most) BM is just not for you. at least two of your characteristics are rather atypical/counter-intuitive with regards to BM. I can't think of anything right now that would fit your request.

The short answer is "yes". I try and pull back sometimes and see the whole forest, but I spend a lot of time examining each tree. Two other examples that don't quite scratch the itch but are black metal-derived (though mixing in many other elements as well) and come closer to it:

Spoiler: show

The first couple songs in particular on this next one.

Spoiler: show

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 214, 215, 216, 217, 218, 219, 220 ... 231  Next