* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Flugeldufel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:19 am 

into_the_pit wrote:
recs

Thank you, into_the_pit! I do like the more rocking drunken stuff too, so none of it is "too slow", haha. This guy behind Hellripper really fucking means it on guitar. This is super cool for a solo project. Wow that's cool playing.

As for Desaster, why didn't I listen to them before? Always heard their name. First album (A Touch of Medieval Darkness) is blowing me away.

ARRRGH!!! Thanks dude.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:01 am 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
I feel like there's a whole world of black metal that I would like, and over the years I have accumulated a decent number of bands I enjoy in the subgenre, but my exploration is often slow and unproductive in this area, so maybe I can find something more targeted.

Some traits I'm looking for:

*Higher production values
*Atmospheric synthesizers, preferably not overtly symphonic unless really well done, I'm thinking more electronic, though not necessarily overly industrial either
*Clean female vocals would be a plus
*Chunky guitars, lower-tuned is often better

What I have in my head is a mixture of the guitars and vocals of later Darzamat, the ethereality and vocals of Lethian Dreams, but with synths and vibe more akin to Burzum's "Det Som En Gang Var". Cradle of Filth probably sometimes fits the bill technically, but I'm aiming for less hammy and more somber. If it's hard to find music with all four traits, maybe there's something that only meets 2-3 traits, but excels at those, and would be worth considering.

I'll give a shot with those two Industrial BM bands. They miss the female vocalist requirement but are IMHO chunky, well produced and electronic enough, without being too industrial... let me know if they work for you!

T3chn0ph0b1a

...And Oceans

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:37 am 

Flugeldufel wrote:
into_the_pit wrote:
recs

Thank you, into_the_pit! I do like the more rocking drunken stuff too, so none of it is "too slow", haha. This guy behind Hellripper really fucking means it on guitar. This is super cool for a solo project. Wow that's cool playing.

As for Desaster, why didn't I listen to them before? Always heard their name. First album (A Touch of Medieval Darkness) is blowing me away.

ARRRGH!!! Thanks dude.

don't mention it! :)
if you like desaster's debut, make sure you check out their lost in the ages demo too. personally I'd say it's their greatest release, the BM is still strong on this one.
some more "traditional" black/thrash would be terrörhammer from serbia. I can only vouch for their vintage black mass 12" though, but that's really a great one.
maybe also try checking out gospel of the horns from australia. excellent stuff, lke most stuff by their country mates deströyer 666 (phoenix rising is highly recommend although their riffage here is more epic than thrashy. great album nonetheless).
also speaing of "more rocking drunken", definitely gehennah from sweden. their debut is ace, later releases still solid.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:41 pm 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
I'll give a shot with those two Industrial BM bands. They miss the female vocalist requirement but are IMHO chunky, well produced and electronic enough, without being too industrial... let me know if they work for you!

T3chn0ph0b1a
...And Oceans

Ah yes, that's another category of bands I'm probably overlooking. I've heard both of them before, but I wouldn't say I'm that familiar with them, so I'll give them another go.

Something like this is also a bit closer to what I'm thinking of. Not so much on the synths, and the riffs could be meatier, but they're decent enough, and the production is there.

Spoiler: show

The vocals don't have to be female though if the other elements are present, since the Burzum track I mentioned is kind of another template, especially the hypnotic synths. That track is a bit on the raw and lo-fi side though, and non-Varg music would go down easier. I've rediscovered in one of the music discussion threads that some of the later Borknagar tracks might also be slightly closer to what I'm looking for.

Flugeldufel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:38 pm 

into_the_pit wrote:
if you like desaster's debut, make sure you check out their lost in the ages demo too. personally I'd say it's their greatest release, the BM is still strong on this one.
some more "traditional" black/thrash would be terrörhammer from serbia. I can only vouch for their vintage black mass 12" though, but that's really a great one.
maybe also try checking out gospel of the horns from australia. excellent stuff, lke most stuff by their country mates deströyer 666 (phoenix rising is highly recommend although their riffage here is more epic than thrashy. great album nonetheless).
also speaing of "more rocking drunken", definitely gehennah from sweden. their debut is ace, later releases still solid.

I love Australia! (AC/DC, INXS, Midnight Odyssey, Portal, Sad Ex, Bestial Warlust, D666, etc) and I will check out Gospel of the Horns. Dudes are crazy down there. Speaking of D666 the song I Am The Wargod still gives me chills for some reason.

Will dig in to your other recs here as well. Desaster kind of hooked me the most, but you gave me plenty of stuff to chew on. Thanks again.

YesIam
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:32 am 

Flugeldufel wrote:
Desaster kind of hooked me the most, but you gave me plenty of stuff to chew on. Thanks again.

Have you heard about Transilvania? I don't think I've heard a band come closer to old Desaster than this. Dark and vicious black thrash, but incredibly epic and with a great sense for melodies at the same time.

If you want a pure riff-fest from beginning to end then Germany's Nocturnal is highly recommended. They just deliver one fantastic riff after another through all of their albums. Superb band.

Vampire's "With Primeval Force" might also be of interest. This band is more of a death thrash band, but it has a lot of that medieval feeling of old Desaster and kinda sounds like the soundtrack to an old Castlevania game. It's magnificent.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:36 pm 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
T3chn0ph0b1a
...And Oceans

So I listened to those tracks, and I'll look into the full albums later (I'm actually almost positive I've heard them before (definitely at least heard a few individual songs because I instantly knew which bands you were talking about), but it's been awhile and my recollection is murky). I'm thinking that when I say "electronic", that's probably kind of misleading. Those are more like cyber/trancey industrial rock/metal mixed with black metal. I guess that's good for its own sound, but I'm not really looking for that, at least for this request. I just mean that I like the usage of synthesizers for atmosphere and texture, using pads and interesting synthetic sounds to flavor the music, not necessarily to dominate it. This is also in contrast to symphonic black metal, which at times is superficially similar to what I'm looking for, but I'm trying to get away from the fake orchestration, ludicrously over the top theatrics and such.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:18 am 

Uhm, i get what you mean. I've brought up those two bands mostly because of the "chunky downtuned"/"decent-to-high production values" requirements are almost never met by bands using atmospheric "Det Som Engang Var" -like pads, but are more common in EBM influenced bands...
Darkspace sometimes on III employs synths like that and heavy chuggy guitar parts (like in the song Dark 3.12) but are very minimalist and lo-fi, but other than them i can't really think of anything in the BM genre.

interstellar_medium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:00 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
*Higher production values
*Atmospheric synthesizers, preferably not overtly symphonic unless really well done, I'm thinking more electronic, though not necessarily overly industrial either
*Clean female vocals would be a plus
*Chunky guitars, lower-tuned is often better

Tick... tick... ummm... tick...
Okay, in this song there's even some female cleans in the beginning (but then, just how "tr00 black" Ajattara have ever been is up for debate):

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:26 pm 

Hey, that's pretty good. I've only heard bits and pieces of Pasi's other projects here and there, so I wasn't even thinking about that one. I could nitpick and say I wouldn't mind if the synths were a tad more present in the mix, and if it had some faster tempo stuff, but that's quite solid. I know what I'm looking for isn't very "kvlt" anyway, so that's never been a big deal.

Darkspace's "3.12" is actually pretty interesting as well. I know I've listened to bits and pieces of their work as well, particularly because they sometimes get lumped in as "dark ambient", which I also look for a lot. They're too aggressive and intense for what I look in that genre, but they actually sort of work for this, so that's another artist right under my nose that I've been overlooking. Those ethereal synths at the very end over the clean guitar arpeggiations are almost exactly what I mean keyboard-wise.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:36 am 

Ok! i'll make another little attempt :lol:
Forest Silence's only album Philosophy of Winter (one man band made by the keyboard player of Sear Bliss) has subtle, icy synths and and a production way less trebly than other bands in the genre. It's not bombastic, but very ambient influenced (see the section at 5:31 of this track)

Vikki24
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:54 am 

Hi, this is my first time posting on this forum so I hope I'm in the right place!

I'm really looking for mostly black metal with bagpipes in them. I'm a big fan of Pagan Black Metal and some folk metal, and folk metal tends to have more bagpipes, but a lot of folk metal is a bit too light for what I'm looking for. The closest I've found so far is a bit of Skyforger but it's still not quite the depth I'm looking for.

I really love some certain movie soundtracks that have used bagpipes, particularly Outlander or Titanic, and I really want some bm or similar that incorporates that dark melodic tone alongside, well you know, black metal.

I've always preferred more melodic bm over the thrashy sounding bm, but at this point I'd love to try anything really heavy with bagpipes.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:47 am 

Cool, I think you might be getting the hang of this now. Definitely also closer to what I'm looking for. I love Sear Bliss, but I've never tried to look into their side projects. I found a 1080p version of that song (only 240p in that YouTube link), which makes it sounds much nicer.

interstellar_medium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:48 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
I could nitpick and say I wouldn't mind if the synths were a tad more present in the mix, and if it had some faster tempo stuff, but that's quite solid.

With Ajattara, the amount of synths varies from song to song and even within any given song. Faster tempo is somewhat harder to find; moreover, when they play fast stuff, they don't usually emphasize synths.

There's this non-album track on which they went almost-symphonic, but it's not much faster if it all (trivia moment: it was recorded by the Äpäre lineup, with Koivusaari on lead guitar):

Last edited by interstellar_medium on Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:58 am 

So, I feel like giving Deathspell Omega a try. Any suggestion where I should start?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:01 am 

colin040 wrote:
So, I feel like giving Deathspell Omega a try. Any suggestion where I should start?

Paracletus was intentionally written to be have a more accessible sound. The new album is also much easier to tackle than, say, Fas or Synarchy.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:43 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
colin040 wrote:

Paracletus was intentionally written to be have a more accessible sound. The new album is also much easier to tackle than, say, Fas or Synarchy.

This. Maybe Kenose too for a less technical approach.

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:45 pm 

colin040 wrote:

easy one. try everything with shaxul on vocals = very good traditional BM more or less in the vein of darkthrone. if you really want to try the stuff from SMRC onward, which is basically like a completely different band, their best (or more like, only good) stuff is definitely the two monumental songs from the 2005 splits, diabolus absconditus and mass grave aesthetics.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:04 pm 

Kenose and Veritas Diaboli Manet in Aeternum: Chaining the Katechon were my introduction to them, and both blew my teenager mind.
Paracletus is probably their overall best, i'll start with one of those three :)

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:54 pm 

Anyone here familiar with Poland's Holy Death? I've been checking their first demo and it's some serious ominous black/doom metal. Quite minimalistic stuff, but it works well for me.

~Guest 322837
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:48 am 

Anyone know of stuff like S.V.E.S.T.'s Urfaust?

Last edited by ~Guest 322837 on Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:56 am 

imo there's nothing quite like svest. check out the demo by asmodee, the other band the svest guys were in.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

Steel_Jaw
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:39 pm 

colin040 wrote:

Drought is a very good EP by DsO, I didn't see anyone else mention this. My favourite work by them actually :)

~Guest 322837
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:06 pm 

anyone know something like GBK except preferably not nazis?

basically what I want is riffy black metal with driving drums (rather than constant blasting), that's pretty catchy and melodic, but still got some of that rawness to it.

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:59 pm 

no, nothing. there's svolder who're pretty similar, but I guess you won't tolerate their thematic and aesthetic choices either. other than that, I don't know any similar band, and I've been listening to them for about 20 years now.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

~Guest 322837
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:47 pm 

into_the_pit wrote:
no, nothing. there's svolder who're pretty similar, but I guess you won't tolerate their thematic and aesthetic choices either. other than that, I don't know any similar band, and I've been listening to them for about 20 years now.

Svolder is even more gratuitous with that shit if anything. Oh well, it's fine, I take no guilt streaming Judeobeast Assassination every now and then on youtube.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:30 am 

Vikki24 wrote:
Hi, this is my first time posting on this forum so I hope I'm in the right place!

I'm really looking for mostly black metal with bagpipes in them. I'm a big fan of Pagan Black Metal and some folk metal, and folk metal tends to have more bagpipes, but a lot of folk metal is a bit too light for what I'm looking for. The closest I've found so far is a bit of Skyforger but it's still not quite the depth I'm looking for.

I really love some certain movie soundtracks that have used bagpipes, particularly Outlander or Titanic, and I really want some bm or similar that incorporates that dark melodic tone alongside, well you know, black metal.

I've always preferred more melodic bm over the thrashy sounding bm, but at this point I'd love to try anything really heavy with bagpipes.

Yeah that's unlikely to find.

camjr01
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:13 pm 

Hi everyone! This is my first time posting in a help thread so I was just wondering if I could get help with a few queries:

1. What's the best traditional black metal and black/thrash bands you know of that aren't kvlt/satanic/anti-christian? I really want to listen to more bands in this style but these themes have always been a turn off for me.

2. Many of my favorite Black Metal albums tend to be long, expansive, varied and have a "detailed narrative" if that makes sense. On these albums the tracks all tend to be really long, and oftentimes they're more like movements in a symphony instead of tracks in an album- that is, if the whole album just isn't one giant track. Examples include: the Fauna discography, Anarchic by Skagos, The Emanation Of Begotten Chaos From God by Emanation, and The Sparrow EP by Jute Gyte. Examples of this outside Black Metal include Natasha by Pig Destroyer, El Mundo Frio by Corrupted, Dear Insanity by Eye Of Solitude, as well as many other releases. Do you know about any other Black Metal releases like this?

3. What's the weirdest Black Metal album you know of that isn't formally classifiable as "avant-garde" or "experimental"? For example, the Emanation album I mentioned previously is very bizarre but Emanation has not been classified as "avant-garde" or "experimental black metal". The reason I ask this is that bands like this tend to sound weird, but yet different from bands with an "avant-garde" or "experimental" label.

"The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice."- Proverbs 12:15

Long Live the West

Do not do it because it feels right, but because it is right.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:57 pm 

camjr01 wrote:

1. What's the best traditional black metal and black/thrash bands you know of that aren't kvlt/satanic/anti-christian? I really want to listen to more bands in this style but these themes have always been a turn off for me.

Burzum, Immortal and Ulver.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:03 pm 

For the request number one early Enslaved and Borknagar are for you: albums like Frost and Borknagar's self titled are old school, great and about norse mythology.
If you are interested for historical reasons there is also Horde, which was the first christian black metal band: their album is nothing special however.

Ulver was pretty anti-christian on the earlier albums, i don't think they fit

For the request number two there is Midnight Odyssey: his albums really feel like a long track with different movements. Spectral Lore's album III is also like this and it's brilliant!

For the third one i'll have to think a little, but i've just listened to S.V.E.S.T 's only album and i am as thrilled as confused :lol:

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:14 pm 

camjr01 wrote:
Hi everyone! This is my first time posting in a help thread so I was just wondering if I could get help with a few queries:

2. Many of my favorite Black Metal albums tend to be long, expansive, varied and have a "detailed narrative" if that makes sense. On these albums the tracks all tend to be really long, and oftentimes they're more like movements in a symphony instead of tracks in an album- that is, if the whole album just isn't one giant track. Examples include: the Fauna discography, Anarchic by Skagos, The Emanation Of Begotten Chaos From God by Emanation, and The Sparrow EP by Jute Gyte. Examples of this outside Black Metal include Natasha by Pig Destroyer, El Mundo Frio by Corrupted, Dear Insanity by Eye Of Solitude, as well as many other releases. Do you know about any other Black Metal releases like this?

3. What's the weirdest Black Metal album you know of that isn't formally classifiable as "avant-garde" or "experimental"? For example, the Emanation album I mentioned previously is very bizarre but Emanation has not been classified as "avant-garde" or "experimental black metal". The reason I ask this is that bands like this tend to sound weird, but yet different from bands with an "avant-garde" or "experimental" label.

1. Ulver, Blut Aus Nord first two albums, Enslaved. I don't think the first Ulver album is anti-Christian as someone said, the lyrics are clearly a folkloric tale about a girl lost in the woods that gets eaten by trolls.

2. Sinmara - Aphotic Womb, Gris - À l'âme enflammée, every A Forest of Stars album, Deathpell Omega - Paracletus, Chaos Moon - Eschaton memoire, Skaphe - Skaphe 3, Fyrnask - Forn...

3. Weird black metal: Kringa, Hagzizsa, Skaphe, Situs magus, Malokarpatan, Negative plane, One Tail One Head, Wormlust, Urfaust, Yellow Eyes...

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:00 am 

I'm not sure for Ulver: the vargnatt demo and the third album have some openly satanist lyrics and Bergatt while it could be read as a folk tale i feel like it was written to state some kind of supremacy of the forces of old against christians... I think that camjr01 should take a look at the translations an judge if it's for him.
It's a great album in any case!

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:28 am 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
I'm not sure for Ulver: the vargnatt demo and the third album have some openly satanist lyrics and Bergatt while it could be read as a folk tale i feel like it was written to state some kind of supremacy of the forces of old against christians... I think that camjr01 should take a look at the translations an judge if it's for him.
It's a great album in any case!

"The halls of the Mountain King thirsted for Christian blood" is the only line against Christians afaik.

Ezadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:37 pm 

This is going to be super vague but hopefully someone here can point me in the right direction...

For the life of me I can't remember the name of this black metal band-- they were pretty melodic, maybe a touch folky, with keyboards and light symphonic elements. I'm pretty sure they were from Russia, and on the album I'm trying to remember, they used programmed drums. The vocals weren't very good, very raw and screechy, and kind of buried in the mix. My recollection is the album cover was dark blue and probably a depiction of a scene from nature or something. One of the songs had the word 'star' in the title, I think.

I know this is really vague, but if anybody has any idea what band I'm thinking of here, would definitely appreciate some help!

YesIam
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:53 pm 

Ezadara wrote:
This is going to be super vague but hopefully someone here can point me in the right direction...

For the life of me I can't remember the name of this black metal band-- they were pretty melodic, maybe a touch folky, with keyboards and light symphonic elements. I'm pretty sure they were from Russia, and on the album I'm trying to remember, they used programmed drums. The vocals weren't very good, very raw and screechy, and kind of buried in the mix. My recollection is the album cover was dark blue and probably a depiction of a scene from nature or something. One of the songs had the word 'star' in the title, I think.

I know this is really vague, but if anybody has any idea what band I'm thinking of here, would definitely appreciate some help!

I am probably not even close, but could it be either Melankoli's "Wind" or The Lost Sun's "Spectral Voice from Newborn Star"? Heh.

Ezadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:02 pm 

Nope-- the album I'm thinking of was much less atmospheric and more riff-driven than either of those. Thanks for the suggestions though!

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:28 pm 

colin040 wrote:
Anyone here familiar with Poland's Holy Death? I've been checking their first demo and it's some serious ominous black/doom metal. Quite minimalistic stuff, but it works well for me.

Triumph of Evil is great. A friend gave me that CD many years back. I remember it was compared a bit with old Samael, but it has a different vibe, for sure. The music is very dark sounding and those interludes between the tracks are creepy as hell and really effective at helping to establish a truly ominous mood.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Osore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:25 pm 

Ezadara wrote:

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Dark_Forest/Aurora_Borealis/131189

Everthing matches, except they are from Canada. Artcover on Metallum is dark blue, they are melodic/symphonic with programmed drums.

AngeldeathGreg
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:31 pm 

Hey friends,
So, my girlfriend is a HUGE Burzum and NONE fan, and I'm trying to find some more stuff like that for her to listen to. She loves the hypnotic, doomy mid-tempo stuff with the trashy buzzsaw Burzum production.

We've recently discovered Selvhat, which is pretty good too, and she enjoyed the new Hate Forest as well.

Any rec's would be greatly appreciated :)
Death metal --> for fans of Deicide, Morbid Angel, Vader, Luciferion, Centurian, Throneaeon, Hate Eternal, Slayer, old Belphegor, Immortal, Angelcorpse, Diabolic, Krisiun, Defaced Creation, Rebaelliun, Azarath, Insision, Monstrosity, Vital Remains

http://www.myspace.com/angeldeath518

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:48 pm 

Horna - Ääniä yössä, and Korgonthurus - Marras are some hypnotic, mid-tempo, rawly produced albums that I've enjoyed.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 215, 216, 217, 218, 219, 220, 221 ... 231  Next