* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:14 pm 

AngeldeathGreg wrote:
Hey friends,
So, my girlfriend is a HUGE Burzum and NONE fan, and I'm trying to find some more stuff like that for her to listen to. She loves the hypnotic, doomy mid-tempo stuff with the trashy buzzsaw Burzum production.

We've recently discovered Selvhat, which is pretty good too, and she enjoyed the new Hate Forest as well.

Any rec's would be greatly appreciated :)

Gris.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:16 pm 

In case you missed both Strid albums and the first two Forgotten Woods are great stuff in that vein!

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:32 pm 

so you're looking for stuff in the vein of burzum amirite? this may be a bit vague, because he covered quite bit of different styles/niches throughout his career. maybe you could point to certain albums or songs?

anyway you could try drudkh from ukraine (other project of the hate forest guys) and the first two or three wigrid albums. I'd also definitely recommend you the nidhoggr (FIN) demo, this is really great stuff. then there's also veil from the US. but maybe some of my recs might be too far on the depressive or filosofem-ish side of things. you also can't really go wrong with forgotten woods and strid, as morn of solace rightly pointed out.

let me know if any of these work out for you.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:30 pm 

Walknut's only album is pretty similar to the newer Hate Forest. Also meets all the requirements.

Is Drudkh too obvious? Their classic albums are the definition of mid-tempo hypnotic riffing. And if we are going to name obvious recs, then I think uhh... Nargaroth is pretty similar to Burzum too.
Also Chaos Moon (early) and Judas Iscariot.

camjr01
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:37 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:
1. Ulver, Blut Aus Nord first two albums, Enslaved. I don't think the first Ulver album is anti-Christian as someone said, the lyrics are clearly a folkloric tale about a girl lost in the woods that gets eaten by trolls.

2. Sinmara - Aphotic Womb, Gris - À l'âme enflammée, every A Forest of Stars album, Deathpell Omega - Paracletus, Chaos Moon - Eschaton memoire, Skaphe - Skaphe 3, Fyrnask - Forn...

3. Weird black metal: Kringa, Hagzizsa, Skaphe, Situs magus, Malokarpatan, Negative plane, One Tail One Head, Wormlust, Urfaust, Yellow Eyes...

Unity wrote:
Burzum, Immortal and Ulver.

Morn Of Solace wrote:
For the request number one early Enslaved and Borknagar are for you: albums like Frost and Borknagar's self titled are old school, great and about norse mythology.
If you are interested for historical reasons there is also Horde, which was the first christian black metal band: their album is nothing special however.

Ulver was pretty anti-christian on the earlier albums, i don't think they fit

For the request number two there is Midnight Odyssey: his albums really feel like a long track with different movements. Spectral Lore's album III is also like this and it's brilliant!

For the third one i'll have to think a little, but i've just listened to S.V.E.S.T 's only album and i am as thrilled as confused :lol:

I know it's been a little bit but thank you for all your responses! I haven't got a chance to look at all of it yet- that's a lot of music- but I've checked out a bunch of it and I'm really liking what I'm hearing :)

I do have another request though just one this time. In Fauna albums, a decent amount of the riffs are ambient riffs. They're not riffs with ambiance in the background or riffs that are ambient because of some kind of melodic lead or accompanying synths, or because of feedback or droning guitar techniques, I mean these riffs are compositionally standard fare fast picked tremolo riffs that have atmospheric qualities normally associated with ambient music. For examples of these riffs in Fauna's music go to their album Avifauna (24- 25:30 and 10- 12:30 in "Soaring into Earth", but more notably 7:50- 13:10 in Syrinx). I thought Fauna was the only band doing this but then I found an entire Wormlust demo full of these riffs. They were different than the Fauna riffs because both bands are going for far different sounds, but the riffs on the Seven Paths demo have the same exact ambient quality. Does anyone know of any other bands with riffs like the ones described and pointed out?

"The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice."- Proverbs 12:15

Long Live the West

Do not do it because it feels right, but because it is right.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:36 pm 

camjr01 wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:
1. Ulver, Blut Aus Nord first two albums, Enslaved. I don't think the first Ulver album is anti-Christian as someone said, the lyrics are clearly a folkloric tale about a girl lost in the woods that gets eaten by trolls.

2. Sinmara - Aphotic Womb, Gris - À l'âme enflammée, every A Forest of Stars album, Deathpell Omega - Paracletus, Chaos Moon - Eschaton memoire, Skaphe - Skaphe 3, Fyrnask - Forn...

3. Weird black metal: Kringa, Hagzizsa, Skaphe, Situs magus, Malokarpatan, Negative plane, One Tail One Head, Wormlust, Urfaust, Yellow Eyes...

Unity wrote:
Burzum, Immortal and Ulver.

Morn Of Solace wrote:
For the request number one early Enslaved and Borknagar are for you: albums like Frost and Borknagar's self titled are old school, great and about norse mythology.
If you are interested for historical reasons there is also Horde, which was the first christian black metal band: their album is nothing special however.

Ulver was pretty anti-christian on the earlier albums, i don't think they fit

For the request number two there is Midnight Odyssey: his albums really feel like a long track with different movements. Spectral Lore's album III is also like this and it's brilliant!

For the third one i'll have to think a little, but i've just listened to S.V.E.S.T 's only album and i am as thrilled as confused :lol:

I know it's been a little bit but thank you for all your responses! I haven't got a chance to look at all of it yet- that's a lot of music- but I've checked out a bunch of it and I'm really liking what I'm hearing :)

I do have another request though just one this time. In Fauna albums, a decent amount of the riffs are ambient riffs. They're not riffs with ambiance in the background or riffs that are ambient because of some kind of melodic lead or accompanying synths, or because of feedback or droning guitar techniques, I mean these riffs are compositionally standard fare fast picked tremolo riffs that have atmospheric qualities normally associated with ambient music. For examples of these riffs in Fauna's music go to their album Avifauna (24- 25:30 and 10- 12:30 in "Soaring into Earth", but more notably 7:50- 13:10 in Syrinx). I thought Fauna was the only band doing this but then I found an entire Wormlust demo full of these riffs. They were different than the Fauna riffs because both bands are going for far different sounds, but the riffs on the Seven Paths demo have the same exact ambient quality. Does anyone know of any other bands with riffs like the ones described and pointed out?

That's a weird way to put it. I'm not sure, can't really remember a lot of riffs like that ones. Have you tried other bands similar to Fauna (I'm a great Fauna fan btw)? Wolves in the Throne Room, Alda, Skagos, L'Acephale, Velnias, Ash Borer... Definitely try Fell Voices.

Maybe Krallice fit? Years Past Matter is an amazing album and it has this sort of repetitive droning riffs.

If what you're looking is more bands that sound like Wormlust try Skaphe, the Skaphe + Wormlust collaborative album, Entheogen, Chaos Moon, Délirant, Ljain... Some of them my have riffs like the ones you're looking for.

Epicureo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:47 pm 

Do you guys known any project that sounds similar to Yahar'gul?
I just can't get enough of the distinct sound of this band.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:59 pm 

Epicureo wrote:

Sounds a bit like The Great Old Ones.

Dr_Fiemost
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:33 pm 

Epicureo wrote:

Mare Cognitum maybe

Epicureo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:45 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
Epicureo wrote:

Sounds a bit like The Great Old Ones.

Oh yeah, some passages in the song you linked are quite similar.
I'm going to check more of their stuff on their bandcamp right away.
Dr_Fiemost wrote:
Epicureo wrote:

Mare Cognitum maybe

I already knew Mare Cognitum but I never checked their latest stuff...sounds pretty good to me!
The third track in particular is what was I looking for.

Now that I think about it, should I also check stuff like Spectral Lore, Midnight Odyssey and Mesarthim?
The archives put all the above bands in the ''similar artists'' section of Mare's page so I guess they should also have that Yahar'gul-like sound I'm searching for.

YesIam
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:10 pm 

Epicureo wrote:
Now that I think about it, should I also check stuff like Spectral Lore, Midnight Odyssey and Mesarthim?
The archives put all the above bands in the ''similar artists'' section of Mare's page so I guess they should also have that Yahar'gul-like sound I'm searching for.

I would absolutely check out Mesarthim, which is just out of this world amazing. But I don't think they are anything like Yahar'gul, nor are they very close to Mare Cognitum in terms of sound either. Mesarthim is just way, way, way more bubblegummy and easy-listening than something like Mare Cognitum. What they do have in common however is a spacey feel to it, which makes them feel kinda similar I guess, despite being very different in terms of sound.

I do however highly recommend Mesarthim if you're into Lustre, Elderwind etc. Gorgeous atmospheric music. Truly amazing!

in_the_sign_of_metal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:41 am 

I second the Mesarthim rec. Absolutely tremendous stuff.

Epicureo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:24 am 

YesIam wrote:
Epicureo wrote:

I would absolutely check out Mesarthim, which is just out of this world amazing. But I don't think they are anything like Yahar'gul, nor are they very close to Mare Cognitum in terms of sound either. Mesarthim is just way, way, way more bubblegummy and easy-listening than something like Mare Cognitum. What they do have in common however is a spacey feel to it, which makes them feel kinda similar I guess, despite being very different in terms of sound.

I do however highly recommend Mesarthim if you're into Lustre, Elderwind etc. Gorgeous atmospheric music. Truly amazing!

in_the_sign_of_metal wrote:
I second the Mesarthim rec. Absolutely tremendous stuff.

Just finished hearing their 2019 and 2020 albums and yeah, this stuff is truly fantastic (and quite unconventional, especially the electronic parts) to my ears.
I'm totally giving a listen to the rest of their discography now.

AngeldeathGreg
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:50 pm 

into_the_pit wrote:
so you're looking for stuff in the vein of burzum amirite? this may be a bit vague, because he covered quite bit of different styles/niches throughout his career. maybe you could point to certain albums or songs?

anyway you could try drudkh from ukraine (other project of the hate forest guys) and the first two or three wigrid albums. I'd also definitely recommend you the nidhoggr (FIN) demo, this is really great stuff. then there's also veil from the US. but maybe some of my recs might be too far on the depressive or filosofem-ish side of things. you also can't really go wrong with forgotten woods and strid, as morn of solace rightly pointed out.

let me know if any of these work out for you.

Hell yeah dude! Filosofem is RIGHT exactly in the wheel house of what she likes. That's probably her favorite. Dunkelheit being the big one. So, anything that's hypnotic and depressive but still with that mid-tempo buzz saw sound.

Karlabos wrote:
Walknut's only album is pretty similar to the newer Hate Forest. Also meets all the requirements.

Is Drudkh too obvious? Their classic albums are the definition of mid-tempo hypnotic riffing. And if we are going to name obvious recs, then I think uhh... Nargaroth is pretty similar to Burzum too.
Also Chaos Moon (early) and Judas Iscariot.

Thanks for these! I'm familiar with all of these, Judas Iscariot the most. I like the sound, but she's not so into the fast, blast-beat stuff. What are the classic Drudkh albums you're talking about? Another name I've seen for years but never had the chance to dive into much.
Death metal --> for fans of Deicide, Morbid Angel, Vader, Luciferion, Centurian, Throneaeon, Hate Eternal, Slayer, old Belphegor, Immortal, Angelcorpse, Diabolic, Krisiun, Defaced Creation, Rebaelliun, Azarath, Insision, Monstrosity, Vital Remains

http://www.myspace.com/angeldeath518

Anong666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:06 am 

What can I listen from Belgium Black metal
I search a sound like Gorath, Wiegedood, Enthroned

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:10 am 

Anong666 wrote:

Alkerdeel are my favourite Belgian black metal band.

https://alkerdeel.bandcamp.com/album/morinde

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:46 am 

my two favorite BM bands from belgium are oros kau and LVTHN. check them out.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:41 pm 

AngeldeathGreg wrote:
What are the classic Drudkh albums you're talking about? Another name I've seen for years but never had the chance to dive into much.

I'd say Autumn Aurora, Blood in Our Wells, Estrangement and Microcosmos. Well, pretty much everything metal they released from 2004 to 2009.
That was Drudkh's gold era. After that ppl often claim they got uninspired.

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:05 pm 

come to think of it, you might also want to check out I shalt become's first album wanderings. I don't know about their later stuff, but I hear they changed their style at some point.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

Hellbeast11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:54 pm 

Anong666 wrote:

Nartvind - Until Their Ruin

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:23 pm 

Karlabos wrote:
AngeldeathGreg wrote:
What are the classic Drudkh albums you're talking about? Another name I've seen for years but never had the chance to dive into much.

I'd say Autumn Aurora, Blood in Our Wells, Estrangement and Microcosmos. Well, pretty much everything metal they released from 2004 to 2009.
That was Drudkh's gold era. After that ppl often claim they got uninspired.

I think their last two are some of the best returns to form in metal after getting all posty-alcest with Microcosmos and Handful of Stars, then super half assing the return to traditional Drudkhing on Eternal Turn of the Wheel. After that meh to shitty run the last two (and the trio of splits also) are really good. A bit stretched out since they ditched the 40 minute run time that served them so well in past, but they're really energized with more aggression and anger than they've ever really had before, kinda a forboding the return of Hate Forest I guess.

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:07 pm 

BEen a long time now since i asked for recommendations so now i want some more, anyone got any super fast bands i should know about? Already know bands like infernal war and their related bands, 1349 etc

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:27 pm 

hm, right off the top of my head, you could try endstille and svarttjern. and of course that zyklon-b mini and niden div. 187 are super fast too, just in case you're not familiar with them yet.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:47 pm 

mike_87 wrote:
BEen a long time now since i asked for recommendations so now i want some more, anyone got any super fast bands i should know about? Already know bands like infernal war and their related bands, 1349 etc

Are you familiar with Handful of Hate? They have some interesting albums in this style, like Gruesome Splendor and Vicecrown. Both Malfeitor (Italy)'s two albums were also all about speed and aggression, if i remember well.

Also if you don't mind a touch death metal there is Hell United's first album that blasts as hard at it gets.

der_kaiser
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:54 pm 

You guys should check this out. This is insane! Featuring Members of Tormentor (Hun) and Nocturnus A.D.(U.S.A.)

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:23 pm 

I've been digging this band named Astarte, which is an all-female black metal band that makes some really cool music. I was wondering if there's any other predominantly-female black metal bands that plays the similar Blackened Melodic Death Metal style like Astarte.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:29 pm 

Slater922 wrote:
I've been digging this band named Astarte, which is an all-female black metal band that makes some really cool music. I was wondering if there's any other predominantly-female black metal bands that plays the similar Blackened Melodic Death Metal style like Astarte.

Maybe Asagraum.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:48 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
Slater922 wrote:

Maybe Asagraum.

I checked out their second album on Spotify. It was pretty good. Any other bands you're aware of?

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:53 am 

so are you looking for predominantly-female BM in general, or for bands in the vein of the "blackened melodic DM" of later astarte, or for bands that fit both requests? the latter would be pretty hard to match, I guess.

until then I'll leave malsain from norway here for you.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

interstellar_medium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:29 am 

There's Blackthorn, an all-female sympho BM band from Moscow, Russia. They sound nothing like Astarte or Asagraum, though.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:38 pm 

into_the_pit wrote:
so are you looking for predominantly-female BM in general, or for bands in the vein of the "blackened melodic DM" of later astarte, or for bands that fit both requests? the latter would be pretty hard to match, I guess.

until then I'll leave malsain from norway here for you.

I'm just looking for some predominant female black metal bands since those are rare to come by, but the music they make are great. I also checked out Malsain and they're pretty cool.

interstellar_medium wrote:
There's Blackthorn, an all-female sympho BM band from Moscow, Russia. They sound nothing like Astarte or Asagraum, though.

I've heard of Blackthorn before, and they're decent.

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:54 pm 

okay, then I take it you are aware of hulder (US)? she's just put out her first full-length on IBP, which is okay in my book, but her demo/EP stuff is where it's at for me. check it out, hulder is cool.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:45 pm 

Sortilegia are cool too if youre looking for more female fronted black metal bands. The only other member is a guy just like Hulder.

Spider_X
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:40 pm 

Anong666 wrote:

Well, I listen to none of those bands you have mentioned, but I submitted Dolchstoss to M-A only recently, I highly recommend this album:
https://dolchstoss.bandcamp.com/album/dolchstoss
I know we're just into February, but it is my AotY so far! It is that damn addictively good!!

LVTHN is pretty good, as well:
https://lvthn.bandcamp.com/

Aldrahn333
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:52 pm 

AngeldeathGreg wrote:
Hey friends,
So, my girlfriend is a HUGE Burzum and NONE fan, and I'm trying to find some more stuff like that for her to listen to. She loves the hypnotic, doomy mid-tempo stuff with the trashy buzzsaw Burzum production.

We've recently discovered Selvhat, which is pretty good too, and she enjoyed the new Hate Forest as well.

Any rec's would be greatly appreciated :)

I think it will do

Aldrahn333
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:10 am 

mike_87 wrote:

super fast with no drum machine, right?

Templum Anima Morti

gestapothrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:43 pm 

+1 for Infernal War, especially their Infernal SS EP
Imagine getting pounded on the side of the head with a rather average-sized brick approximately four times a second for a half-hour while a vacuum cleaner is turned to maximum volume in the background. That's Marduk for ya.

My Fukking Wantlist
My Fukking Collection

SafassThin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:21 pm 

mike_87 wrote:

Crystalium
Antaeus 'Blood Libels'
Try maybe the last album from Frozen Shadows

der_kaiser
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:08 pm 

gestapothrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:38 pm 

Great doco and a great band, but are you maybe in the wrong thread?
Imagine getting pounded on the side of the head with a rather average-sized brick approximately four times a second for a half-hour while a vacuum cleaner is turned to maximum volume in the background. That's Marduk for ya.

My Fukking Wantlist
My Fukking Collection

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 216, 217, 218, 219, 220, 221, 222 ... 231  Next