Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Gastjale
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:17 am 

Seconded Kvist.

Wallachia is among the top bands from Norway, check out their "From Behind the Light" debut. Atmospheric and medievalish stuff, in my books it's pretty essential stuff.

Forgotten Woods is definitely in the "to check" list. Unaggressive and close-to-nature BM with a hint of depressive mood. I'd recommend their "Sjel av natten" EP, but also their debut is worth checking, altho I didn't like it that much.

Speaking of symphonic BM, Limbonic Art shines brightly in that genre. Moon in the Scorpio is a must-hear, but I also like their Dynasty of Death full-length. They use programmed drums, but if those are not a problem, enter their realm of hellish and aggressive symphonies.

One of the best bands to come from Norway is, without a doubt, Obtained Enslavement. Their "Witchcraft" album is almost perfect in my opinion, and definitely worth a shot or two. I guess they could be labeled melodic/symphonic black metal, but they are WAY more better than Emperor, Dimmu Borgir, Gehenna etc.

I don't see even a one good reason why you still haven't listened to Taake's or Windir's debut.

Then there's also Bak De Syv Fjell, which may not be truly essential, but they made a good EP in the vein of Bergtatt. Also, if you liked Isengard, why wouldn't you check out Storm?

Vitross
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:00 am 

Carpathianchrist wrote:
Yes indeed. Have a look at the Nidrosian scene, Dosengel, Kaosritual, One Tail One Head, Mare, etc. In my opinion modern Norwegian black metal is better than it has ever been.

You are right, norwegian black metal is at one of its peaks now and probably at its best since 1996. Dodsengel are very good, and I've heard some One Tail One Head. Even though I was asking for bands from 1991-1999, thanks for those recs.

Vitross
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:28 pm 

Flugeldufel wrote:
You need the first two Dodheimsgard albums, especially the first one. It's safe to ignore their other material.

Yes of course, I've heard about them a long time ago, but forgot to check them out. Ok I will ignore the rest, isn't it that shitty kind of industrial?

Jonpo wrote:
I'd be surprised if you didn't enjoy Kvist. They were a little late to the scene to be remember as anything aside from "also-rans", but as far as those go they're one of my favorites. Kind of an idiosyncratic sound for the time, to be honest, they weren't afraid of some melodic riffs and I love that the bass is very upfront and sometimes leads the charge. Incredible drumming display as well, the guy knows how to blast but he also varies up his patterns and even works in some of the oft-shunned double bass.

Forgot to mention them, but I've got their (only?) album, and a demo. Very good stuff, it's melodic but not over the top.

Gastjale wrote:
Seconded Kvist.

Wallachia is among the top bands from Norway, check out their "From Behind the Light" debut. Atmospheric and medievalish stuff, in my books it's pretty essential stuff.

Forgotten Woods is definitely in the "to check" list. Unaggressive and close-to-nature BM with a hint of depressive mood. I'd recommend their "Sjel av natten" EP, but also their debut is worth checking, altho I didn't like it that much.

Speaking of symphonic BM, Limbonic Art shines brightly in that genre. Moon in the Scorpio is a must-hear, but I also like their Dynasty of Death full-length. They use programmed drums, but if those are not a problem, enter their realm of hellish and aggressive symphonies.

One of the best bands to come from Norway is, without a doubt, Obtained Enslavement. Their "Witchcraft" album is almost perfect in my opinion, and definitely worth a shot or two. I guess they could be labeled melodic/symphonic black metal, but they are WAY more better than Emperor, Dimmu Borgir, Gehenna etc.

I don't see even a one good reason why you still haven't listened to Taake's or Windir's debut.

Then there's also Bak De Syv Fjell, which may not be truly essential, but they made a good EP in the vein of Bergtatt. Also, if you liked Isengard, why wouldn't you check out Storm?

Thanks for all the recs. I am familiar with Limbonic Art, Windir and Taake, the rest sounds very interesting. I think I have on the Forgotten Woods demo though.

BBEdrummerAK
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:42 pm 

As far as the Norwegian bands go, well in this current batch of pages, I'm kinda surprised nobody suggested the first couple Aeternus albums. I think they're fantastic black metal albums, even if Ares chose to sing with more guttural DM type vocals. The atmosphere they created on "Dark Sorcery", "Beyond the Wandering Moon", and "And So the Night Became" are just fantastic. And I for one even enjoyed when they started crossing more into death metal with "Shadows of Old"! I pretty much lost all interest after "Ascension of Terror"...but yeah, Vitross, I'd definitely give a ear to those first 3 Aeternus albums!

JDW89
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:28 pm 

What's the best way to get into Black Metal? I've had like 15 albums from Burzum, Darkthrone, Immortal, Mayhem, etc and I want to be able to get into it more, is there something specific I have to do or something specific I need to look out for?

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:43 pm 

JDW89 wrote:
What's the best way to get into Black Metal? I've had like 15 albums from Burzum, Darkthrone, Immortal, Mayhem, etc and I want to be able to get into it more, is there something specific I have to do or something specific I need to look out for?

What type of metal do you listen to normally? From this the guys here should be fit to point you in the right direction. There are so many different types and genres of black metal it just takes a bit of searching. In my opinion the likes of eg Burzum, epsecially the classic albums may not be very accessible for someone beginning this journey. What I am trying to say is if you come from a power or traditional metal background you would probably be more at home starting with something more melodic or symphonic if you get me, from here the door will slowly open to so much more.

JDW89
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:57 pm 

STORMM wrote:
JDW89 wrote:

What type of metal do you listen to normally? From this the guys here should be fit to point you in the right direction. There are so many different types and genres of black metal it just takes a bit of searching. In my opinion the likes of eg Burzum, epsecially the classic albums may not be very accessible for someone beginning this journey. What I am trying to say is if you come from a power or traditional metal background you would probably be more at home starting with something more melodic or symphonic if you get me, from here the door will slowly open to so much more.

I am mainly into Thrash, death, heavy or traditional metal...

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:12 pm 

Vitross wrote:
I know that it's pretty typical to ask this, but Norwegian is my favorite scene. I am looking for classic, essential albums from 1991-1999, of course I have the groundbreaking albums of Immortal, Emperor, Burzum, Mayhem, Satyricon, Darkthrone, Enslaved, Dimmu Borgir, Ulver. I also have the less known but still very essential albums from bands like Troll, Covenant, Ancient, Borknagar, Fimbulwinter, Tartaros, Gehenna, Hades, Isengard and In The Woods... Are there still some albums I'm missing out?

Hey Vitross, I'm sure there are a lot more, you know the main bands so I assume you know Arcturus, Kampfar, Mysticum so I will name a few more, I normally don't list so forgive me! Give Strid a listen, their two demos were underground classics. Check out out these bands debuts Odium, Keep of Kalessin, Svartahrid, Forlorn, Helheim. I also have the Frostmoon cd which was their demos on cd, enjoyable stuff. Massemond are a good band only maybe not old enough. There are even more obscure acts I can think of but this should give you plenty to listen to.

WingedOctopus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:14 pm 

Any recommendations for deathened black metal like Svart Crown?

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:23 pm 

JDW89 wrote:

I will try the heavy / traditional path first due to it being more melodic. A great band as an introduction band imo and one I often speak highly of is Windir. Some of their melodies are very infectious and get stuck in your head. Ps I hope you don't mind a few keyboards, if you do we might have to move on!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4DOPkHrW5bA

Or a bit more harsher -

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D6nOHmya71s

See what you think.

Vitross
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:00 am 

STORMM wrote:
Hey Vitross, I'm sure there are a lot more, you know the main bands so I assume you know Arcturus, Kampfar, Mysticum so I will name a few more, I normally don't list so forgive me! Give Strid a listen, their two demos were underground classics. Check out out these bands debuts Odium, Keep of Kalessin, Svartahrid, Forlorn, Helheim. I also have the Frostmoon cd which was their demos on cd, enjoyable stuff. Massemond are a good band only maybe not old enough. There are even more obscure acts I can think of but this should give you plenty to listen to.

Of course I am familiar with Arcturus, and I own one Kampfar album. The rest I've heard of at least once, but didn' get to listen to them, except Strid's first demo which I have. Thanks Stormm!

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:37 am 

JDW89 wrote:

I'll just throw this in since you already know the big names in the Scandinavian scene.

Destroyer 666 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymmSEPDXT98

Milo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:27 pm 

Can someone recommend me a band with similar riffs, flow, production and atmosphere than Macabre Omen in their sole album, "The Ancient Returns" (aka "best black metal album ever")?

I'm not extremely familiar to greek black metal, but I've listened to Agatus, Varathon, Rotting Christ, Legion of Doom, Nocternity, and none of them comes close. Well, Onyx by Nocternity is damn fine, but still inferior.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:30 am 

Milo wrote:
Can someone recommend me a band with similar riffs, flow, production and atmosphere than Macabre Omen in their sole album, "The Ancient Returns" (aka "best black metal album ever")?

Just listened to it. Awesome stuff, thanks for recommending it. I don't know anything extremely similar, but the closest thing I can think of is Enslaved's first album, which is not very helpful, I know. Some parts also remind me of the early Nagelfar stuff, but that's already a bit of a stretch.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Lud
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:09 pm 

Need some sympho black please

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:20 pm 

Can I get some recommendations for extremely high-pitched (guitar-wise), but otherwise straightforward medium-to-fast-paced BM? I'm thinking something like Botanist but a little less weird with its compositions (obviously hammered dulcimers in the recs are optional). The more tremolos on the first and second strings, and the more abstinence from anything lower, the better.

Thanks in advance, even though I'm not entirely sure that such sorts of BM bands exist.

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:06 pm 

MalignantThrone: Have you heard Nightbringer?

BlackMarketVinyl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:30 pm 

Lud wrote:

The only band that did it right, well and of course Emperor.

Obtained Enslavement - Carnal Lust
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0sqAT5ftww

Eli_the_Destroyer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:35 am 

Lud wrote:

Oh man i could go forever, but for now, you must check out Iconoclast, by Naxzul...symphonic black metal done RIGHT

Urfaust147
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:56 am 

Greetings. I'm looking for black metal epics with lengthy songs and great atmosphere. I'm not looking for average black metal, I'm looking for passionate music. Something with an epic vibe of vastness and ancientness. Blood Geometry is a perfect example. Thanks in advance.

androdion
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:15 am 

Urfaust147 wrote:
Greetings. I'm looking for black metal epics with lengthy songs and great atmosphere. I'm not looking for average black metal, I'm looking for passionate music. Something with an epic vibe of vastness and ancientness. Blood Geometry is a perfect example. Thanks in advance.

Do you know Drudkh? I'm actually listening to them right now and they fit perfectly on your description.

Urfaust147
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:34 am 

Oh, I know Drudkh. I also know Walknut, Skagos, Summoning and the like. Well, actually I'm quite familiar with black metal. But I hope I'm still missing out some worthwhile material.

Vitross
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:38 am 

Lud wrote:

Oh man... Check out Bal-Sagoth it's really symphonic and pretty light sounding, but it's really done right. Arcturus' first album Aspera Hiems Symfonia is one of the earliest symphonic black metal albums, and sounds different from the rest. If you like fantasy influenced sounds check out Troll's album Drep De Kristne and Covenant's first album, they later turned to shit. I guess you probably would like Dimmu Borgir first albums. Sear Bliss is very unique symphonic bm from Hungary, they have brass sections that fit nicely. If you don't mind over the top keyboards then check out Limbonic Art, for me they are very good anyways. Diabolical Masquerade is Katatonia's guitarist side project, and is very interesting, so check it out. One of my favorite bm bands is Gehenna, not very symphonic I would say it's just melodic with some symphonic parts. Their first two albums are masterpieces, especially First Spell. If you don't have anything against so called "sellout bands" check out Cradle of Filth, their EP V Empire and first two full lengths are good material, but later on they got worse in my opinion.

Also thumbs up for other recs, especially Emperor which is my favorite black metal band, and Obtained Enslavement. I might have some more recs for you if you want more. :)

Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:40 am 

Urfaust147 wrote:
Oh, I know Drudkh. I also know Walknut, Skagos, Summoning and the like. Well, actually I'm quite familiar with black metal. But I hope I'm still missing out some worthwhile material.

I don't usually recommend French black metal to anyone, but do you know Belenos? Start with the sophomore album if you don't know them, you might like them.

The obligatory The Ruins of Beverast mention here, although I'm sure you already listen to them based your name, and them being each others' label mates.

Last edited by Ilwhyan on Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vitross
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:42 am 

Urfaust147 wrote:

Hmm, not really black metal, but Empyrium has great atmosphere quite melancholic, but I guess you probably know them. Did you listen to Midnight Odyssey? Lengthy songs, eerie atmosphere very nice stuff. Also Evilfeast. If you want more I can probably name more, but I have to get off the computer now.

Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:48 am 

I need to listen to the Elysian Blaze album in question, I'll get back to you in a while. There are so many bands that meet your specification.

Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:30 pm 

On Urfaust147's request:

I'm now listening to the second track of Blood Geometry, and I have the pleasure of recommending you one of my absolute favourite albums. Horna - Sanojesi Äärelle.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:44 pm 

Yeah, disregarding the implicit "like Elyssian Blaze" criteria, that's incredibly vague guidelines.

"Under the black moon" by Gnome and "Dystopia" by Gloom are of the EB vein, tho.

Urfaust147
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:21 pm 

Many thanks, you guys. I think I've got some work to do.

I already knew The Ruins of Beverast, but I liked some Evilfeast and Midnight Odyssey. Belenos, too. I'm currently checking out Gnome. Sounds somewhat strange, but I dig it.

Oh, Ilwhyan, I know Horna. Great band. Glad I made you listen to Blood Geometry, though. I hope you like it.

Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:03 pm 

Most people know Horna, but the latest album is fairly little discussed despite being a masterpiece, so I suppose it's somewhat overlooked. Most Horna listeners apparently favour albums like Ääniä Yössä, Evangels or one of the earlier albums. Sanojesi Äärelle consists of songs old and new, and stylistically it represents both ends of the Horna spectrum, but in many different ways than before. At its lighest it can be reminiscent of songs like Kuoleva Lupaus, but somewhat more subtle and atmospheric. At its darkest, it's some of the most violent Horna there is. In case you haven't listened to this particular Horna album, do so immediately, it might blow your mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rF_691OAHM

Urfaust147
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:22 pm 

I listened to Sanojesi Äärelle a couple times, and I liked it. My favorite has always been Kohti Yhdeksän Nousua, though. :-P The atmosphere is charming. But you're right. Sanojesi Äärelle is great.

FaultyClockwork
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:23 pm 

Lud wrote:

WelicoRuss.

Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:43 am 

Urfaust147, what do you say of Mutilation Rites, Elimi, Matricide, Todtgelichter and Wolfsmond?

Mutilation Rites has similarities with Altars of Plague and Goatwhore -an interesting combination. Elimi is somewhat experimental with hints of DSBM, but it's mostly quite good, and fairly unique. Matricide isn't highly original, but rather damn good anyway, Gorgoroth style black metal played in the Swedish fashion. Todtgelichter is difficult to explain concisely. It's fairly experimental, occasionally quite blissful and grand, and at other times strange and dissonant. Wolfsmond is rather basic semi-melodic black metal vaguely in Gorgoroth's footsteps, but with the conviction to set it apart from the grey mass.

Urfaust147
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:35 am 

Just checked out some of your stuff.

The garbage can smashing à la St. Anger aside, I really dug Elimi. I already knew Wolfsmond. Good band, I like them. But while I thought Mutilation Rites wasn't that bad, I found Matricide to be horribly generic. Didn't like Todtgelichter either, but they're probably quite varied. Might give them another chance. But I'll be sure checking out some more Elimi. Thanks for the mention.

FaultyClockwork
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:25 am 

Can anyone recommend me raw black metal that is one step away from unlistenable? Such as Peste Noire's Aryan Supremacy, Ash Pool's First Taste of Power and Genital Tomb, or Willing Feet's s/t. No NSBM please (and yes, I know it's ironic given my listing Aryan Supremacy as an example).

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:32 am 

Black Tribe's "War" is pretty heinous. Kinda cool though, with the banjo and imperial march...

Myself is literally unlistenable, but it's good for a frame of reference.

FaultyClockwork
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:01 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
Black Tribe's "War" is pretty heinous. Kinda cool though, with the banjo and imperial march...

Myself is literally unlistenable, but it's good for a frame of reference.

Yeah, I listened to Myself's split with Maximum Perversum once and I literally stopped listening to music for an hour because it hurt my ears so much. ;\

Thanks for the Black Tribe rec.

Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:41 am 

Urfaust147 wrote:
Just checked out some of your stuff.

The garbage can smashing à la St. Anger aside, I really dug Elimi. I already knew Wolfsmond. Good band, I like them. But while I thought Mutilation Rites wasn't that bad, I found Matricide to be horribly generic. Didn't like Todtgelichter either, but they're probably quite varied. Might give them another chance. But I'll be sure checking out some more Elimi. Thanks for the mention.

Some more German goodness:

Infestus - E x | I s t
Der Weg Einer Freiheit - any album

The latter was recommended in this very thread just now, but perhaps you haven't heard Infestus yet?

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:42 am 

Looking for some good and riffy eastern block black metal. Something that is closer to Grand Belial's key or Mortuary Drape than Drukh or Burzum. So no overly dissonant, atmospheric stuff but something meaty and pounding. I already know some of the biggest names you are probably thinking right now like ROOT, Master's Hammer, Maniac Butcher, Törr and Tormentor. Christ Agony comes to my mind too although I'm not yet sure how much I like them.
I'd love to blast a bit of Voivod and make a better-looking gun turret to glue on the tortoise's shell to make it look like Killing Technology, but the wife won't let me. I think I'll get an Emperor penguin instead.

Urfaust147
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:42 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Infestus - E x | I s t

You know my likes, mate. E x | I s t is the only Infestus album I've heard so far, but I thought it's great.

Ilwhyan wrote:
Der Weg Einer Freiheit

Just listened to a couple songs on YouTube. Sounds quite interesting. I think I'll get my hands on some of the band's stuff.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 208  Next