Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:24 am 

Was too lazy to post yesterday, and now into_the_pit already edited Funereal Moon into his post. Unfortunately they insist on their instantly skippable ambient, they are only really good when they play black metal.

https://www.last.fm/user/oldmetalthrone

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:47 am 

mike_87 wrote:
doing a bit of a country by country black metal band research thing lately...if anyone has noticed in my previous post. so the place I am thinking of this time is Mexico...anyone know any good black metal bands from there?

Lluvia were from Mexico afaik. Their second album is good. https://amorfatiproductions.bandcamp.co ... ad-solemne

kytokinesis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:14 pm 

Xenophon wrote:
kytokinesis wrote:
I'm looking for an album I heard on youtube a few years ago. The album cover had the entrance to a mausoleum with statues or engravings on either side and pitch black on the inside. It was nicely done painted style artwork. I think it had 4-5 longer songs on it. Black/doom style IIRC. I've trolled through the entire history of a few black metal channels and I haven't been able to spot it.

Could it be Suspiral - Delve into the Mysteries of Transcendence? (This one's black/death though, not black/doom and only has 3 songs.)

You were really close actually. I started at Suspiral and went through a couple similar artists pages and found it. I did not accurately remember the music or tracks at all lol. Turns out it was black/death and it was Grave Miasma - Odori Sepulcrorum. I got the album cover kinda right though. Thanks!

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:22 pm 

kytokinesis wrote:
Xenophon wrote:
kytokinesis wrote:
I'm looking for an album I heard on youtube a few years ago. The album cover had the entrance to a mausoleum with statues or engravings on either side and pitch black on the inside. It was nicely done painted style artwork. I think it had 4-5 longer songs on it. Black/doom style IIRC. I've trolled through the entire history of a few black metal channels and I haven't been able to spot it.

Could it be Suspiral - Delve into the Mysteries of Transcendence? (This one's black/death though, not black/doom and only has 3 songs.)

You were really close actually. I started at Suspiral and went through a couple similar artists pages and found it. I did not accurately remember the music or tracks at all lol. Turns out it was black/death and it was Grave Miasma - Odori Sepulcrorum. I got the album cover kinda right though. Thanks!

Oh ok, nice, glad you found it. I was kinda thinking it was some black/death band since those don't seem to show up very often on the black metal channels and mausoleums/crypts seem to appear a decent amount of the time on their album covers.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:49 am 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=share&v=fR2GWV7QuOQ

Make sure to check this out, if you like raw black metal with amazing atmosphere.

Ezadara
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:05 pm 

Been trying to remember a specific band I used to listen to way back when but for the life of me I can't remember the name of it. It was a black metal band from either Norway or Sweden with a penchant for dark ambient interludes/intros, and the album/EP I listened to had four or five songs, one of which had the word 'Fenris' in its title. Outside of the ambient stuff, pretty fast-paced, blasty stuff. I'm pretty sure they're fairly recent, like post-2010.

I realize this is a super longshot but I figured I'd check just in case anybody knows who the heck I'm thinking of here.

Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:41 pm 

Ezadara wrote:
Been trying to remember a specific band I used to listen to way back when but for the life of me I can't remember the name of it. It was a black metal band from either Norway or Sweden with a penchant for dark ambient interludes/intros, and the album/EP I listened to had four or five songs, one of which had the word 'Fenris' in its title. Outside of the ambient stuff, pretty fast-paced, blasty stuff. I'm pretty sure they're fairly recent, like post-2010.

I realize this is a super longshot but I figured I'd check just in case anybody knows who the heck I'm thinking of here.

Everything else applies for Arckanum, except Fenris kindir has 10+ songs.

Edit: Sorry, I misread. One of the songs had "Fenris" in the name, not the album or EP.

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:48 pm 

maybe you're thinking of helheim (NOR) - fenris EP? has fenris in the EP title, not as a song.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

Ezadara
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:35 pm 

So, it wasn't either of those bands, but looking at Helheim's discography and seeing the album Jormungand reminded me that the album I was looking for had a song with a similar name. So I searched by song title for Jormungand-- no luck. Then on a hunch I searched for Jormungandr, and there it was: Beketh Nexehmu's De Svarta Riterna. Thank you for (in a very convoluted way) helping me solve my quandary haha.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:24 am 

I'm looking for more epic Greek BM stuff that's a bit more on the epic and melodic end of the spectrum, than say, raw Rotting Christ worship.

Think of something along the lines of these numbers:

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:05 am 

colin040 wrote:
I'm looking for more epic Greek BM stuff that's a bit more on the epic and melodic end of the spectrum, than say, raw Rotting Christ worship.

Think of something along the lines of these numbers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHvHIgs6ZIY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3QaIlkvXPc

Hmmm... these might not be to the exact letter of your request (or too obvious), but here goes anyway.

Maybe you could give Zemial a shot? Slightly more thrashy in approach I guess, but unique in it's style and composition. Nykta in particular is cool as hell, and a wild ride.

In The Arms of Hades

Are you aware of Macabre Omen? Seriously epic stuff that is just... incredibly awesome. Epic is their bread and butter.
From Son to Father

Man of 300 Voices

My collection

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:50 am 

Not really what I'm looking for. Thanks for the recommendations though!

HviteGuden
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:24 am 

colin040 wrote:

For me the best example of epic black metal from Greece is Kawir. Not RT worship, although early they had more common Greek sound, yet later they became more distinctive as well as epic.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:25 am 

Oh I've heard some albums of them, but never liked what I've heard.

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:28 pm 

do check out hell poemer, despite the weird band name. can't vouch for their full-length, but their second demo "worshipers of the apocryphal age" is amazing. so I guess the full-length should be good too.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:46 pm 

into_the_pit wrote:
do check out hell poemer, despite the weird band name. can't vouch for their full-length, but their second demo "worshipers of the apocryphal age" is amazing. so I guess the full-length should be good too.

Will do. Thanks.

Anyone here heard of Sartegos? I've checked their full length album today and it's cool stuff with high-flying riffs emerging from different directions. Think of something like the latest Venenum if they kept that slightly blackened edge without going proggy.

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:30 am 

Going through more countries now so next i can think of is Italy...can someone name me some bands that are heavy/fast black metal from there?

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:32 am 

mike_87 wrote:
Going through more countries now so next i can think of is Italy...can someone name me some bands that are heavy/fast black metal from there?

Spite Extreme Wing!

HviteGuden
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:26 am 

MutantClannfear wrote:
mike_87 wrote:

Spite Extreme Wing!

Handful of Hate.

aheadofmetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:49 pm 

STORMM wrote:
Z0MBIE wrote:
I'm looking for really aggressive black metal with lots of blastbeats, any recs?

Maybe I.C.E?

http://www.myspace.com/imperialcrystallineentombment

Shameless Plug But you Might like this. Their 3rd album just came out on Friday:

https://noxaeternum.bandcamp.com/track/ ... -effluvium

Khan Vozdig
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:59 pm 

I'm interested in getting some recommendations with regards to lesser known/very obscure first wave black metal bands with a sound similar to In The Sign of Evil/Obsessed by Cruelty era Sodom ...

BirthOfDisease
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:02 pm 

Khan Vozdig wrote:
I'm interested in getting some recommendations with regards to lesser known/very obscure first wave black metal bands with a sound similar to In The Sign of Evil/Obsessed by Cruelty era Sodom ...

Ever tried Vulcano? I saw them open for Blasphemy in London back in November, and they were seriously good. Very 1st wave.

Endarkening
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:58 pm 

Khan Vozdig wrote:

Obscure and first wave, how about Parabellum. This is from 1987; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMrnZkKivNA

Then there's Iceland's Flames Of Hell. This is also from 1987; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGHSHUj3IsU

And I'd be foolish not to mention Tormentor. This demo is from 1989; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXIdZPd13-o&list=PLqytfNFx9Ghxauhdwkdj5_rTZiGTxcbIb

Finally, there's NME, their album Unholy Death came out in 1986. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAlQLGR5XFc

*edit*

There's a little known band from Canada called Deranged. Their demo Place of Torment came out in 1989. Killer blackened speed/thrash. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kfbz55E-LbE

Amosofnlm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:32 am 

Hello all. Can you recommend anything along the lines of this track?-

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:26 pm 

well the "ildjarn" side of the split with hate forest is a bit reminiscent of that song IMO. there may be more stuff in that vein, I'll have to think about this.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

Amosofnlm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:05 pm 

I'm liking that material but it doesn't have the... transcendent, for want of a better word, quality of Eksistensens Jeger.

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:21 pm 

your request is quite the toughie tbh. I haven't been able to come up with anything else yet. actually ildjarn has single-handedly shaped a very distinct subgenre of BM, and - ambient material aside - eksistensens jeger is somewhat sticking out from the rest of his oeuvre, which is exceedingly homogeneous otherwise. I could right away name you a bunch of other bands in the vein of his usual metal style, but this one... I'll keep pondering this and waiting for a sudden flash of inspiration.

btw, it doesn't really answer your request, but I take it that you know that sort vokter album?
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

Amosofnlm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:40 pm 

Yeah, I know the Sort Vokter album.

Hope you get that flash of inspiration! Thanks for putting your mind to it.

c_
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:42 pm 

colin040 wrote:
I'm looking for more epic Greek BM stuff that's a bit more on the epic and melodic end of the spectrum...

You probably already know them but Nocternity falls under that description.

LudwigVanBeethoven
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:14 am 

Hello, I am a beginner at Black Metal.
Please recommend a black metal band.

Let me explain my taste.
I like Mayhem the most.
I like all Mayhem albums.
Any band like Mayhem would be fine.

My favorite black metal band is this.
Mayhem
Manes (Norway)
Sigh (Japan)
Nagelfar (Germany)
Thorns (Norway)
Zyklon B (Norway)
Tormentor (Hungary)
Craft (Sweden)
Sort Vokter (Norway)
Necromantia (Greece)
Hades (Norway)
Bestia Arcana (USA)
Batushka (Poland)
Immortal
Beherit
Blasphemy (Canada)

I'll write down all the other bands that I liked.

Burzum, Abigor, Bathory, Gorgoroth, Darkthrone, Emperor, Vothana, Merrimack, Fanisk, Mortuary Drape, Mysticum, Mythos, Belial, Havohej, Belphegor, Kerasphorus, Mgla, Satyricon, Forgotten Woods, Godkiller, Varathron, Rotting Christ, Nocte Obducta, Lunar Aurora, Master's Hammer, Leviathan, Drudkh, Inquisition, Demoncy, Samael

First of all, I like any band similar to Mayhem.
Especially if it's similar to Mayhem, Nagelfar, Immortal, Sigh, Manes, Sort Vokter, Beherit, Zyklon B, Bestia Arcana
Second, fast, aggressive, dark, satanic, ominous, apocalyptic sound.

The band that I don't like is a band that is folk and static.
For example, Kampfar and Obtained Enslavement

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:12 am 

LudwigVanBeethoven wrote:

Let me explain my taste.
I like Mayhem the most.

Mayhem
Manes (Norway)
Sigh (Japan)
Nagelfar (Germany)
Thorns (Norway)
Zyklon B (Norway)
Tormentor (Hungary)
Craft (Sweden)
Sort Vokter (Norway)
Necromantia (Greece)
Hades (Norway)
Bestia Arcana (USA)
Batushka (Poland)
Immortal
Beherit
Blasphemy (Canada)

Burzum, Abigor, Bathory, Gorgoroth, Darkthrone, Emperor, Vothana, Merrimack, Fanisk, Mortuary Drape, Mysticum, Mythos, Belial, Havohej, Belphegor, Kerasphorus, Mgla, Satyricon, Forgotten Woods, Godkiller, Varathron, Rotting Christ, Nocte Obducta, Lunar Aurora, Master's Hammer, Leviathan, Drudkh, Inquisition, Demoncy, Samael

Especially if it's similar to Mayhem, Nagelfar, Immortal, Sigh, Manes, Sort Vokter, Beherit, Zyklon B, Bestia Arcana

What the fuuuuuck :')

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:00 pm 

LudwigVanBeethoven wrote:

Let me explain my taste.
I like Mayhem the most.

Mayhem
Manes (Norway)
Sigh (Japan)
Nagelfar (Germany)
Thorns (Norway)
Zyklon B (Norway)
Tormentor (Hungary)
Craft (Sweden)
Sort Vokter (Norway)
Necromantia (Greece)
Hades (Norway)
Bestia Arcana (USA)
Batushka (Poland)
Immortal
Beherit
Blasphemy (Canada)

Been listening to black metal about 13 years myself and even I only just found Lunar Aurora! They are one of the best and most unique. its hard to describe their sound really. They have loads of great releases. if you want some super heavy bands try 1349, Anaal Nathrakh, Infernal War, Arkhon Infaustus.

BirthOfDisease
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:55 am 

I'm looking for two distinct but kinda connected sounds with this one, so I hope you all can help!

I'm really giving to Midnight at the moment, ever since Rebirth by Blasphemy dropped I am really just jonesing for similar black/speed that has the same sort of old-school metal/rock'n'roll vibe that Motörhead had. I've heard some similar stuff like Malokarpatan and Abigail that I really like, so anything like them would be fine!

I'm also looking for bands similar to Adorior. I saw them open for Blasphemy back in November, in London, and I fell in love with them, they've got a vibe I really gel with, especially on Birth of Disease from the album Author of Incest. The only band I know that's closely similar in sound is Infernal War, and they scratch an itch nicely!

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:53 am 

BirthOfDisease wrote:
I'm looking for two distinct but kinda connected sounds with this one, so I hope you all can help!

I'm really giving to Midnight at the moment, ever since Rebirth by Blasphemy dropped I am really just jonesing for similar black/speed that has the same sort of old-school metal/rock'n'roll vibe that Motörhead had. I've heard some similar stuff like Malokarpatan and Abigail that I really like, so anything like them would be fine!

I'm also looking for bands similar to Adorior. I saw them open for Blasphemy back in November, in London, and I fell in love with them, they've got a vibe I really gel with, especially on Birth of Disease from the album Author of Incest. The only band I know that's closely similar in sound is Infernal War, and they scratch an itch nicely!

Adorior are female fronted and from the UK arent they? And like Infernal war?? Nice. Just downloaded their stuff, what a pity they havent done an album since 2005 though?

IcyScythe
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:33 pm 

Looking for more like Mayhem. I actually never bother to listened to them for my first decade and a half in this genre because I assumed their later material would be terrible without the original songwriter. Needless to say I was wrong. I really enjoy both their weirder DSO-like stuff and their more classic BM sound. Surprisingly, I've had trouble finding more examples of both. A whole lot of the BM I run into is either more in the vein of Darkthrone, or is a depressive or blackgaze thing, neither of which I'm into.

Of their more standard black metal sound it's more or less a tie between the first half of DMDS and Wolf Lair's Abyss for me, although I also enjoy GDoW minus the random spoken word bits - the riffs are very strong IMO. Production wise, I like the sound of Wolf Lair's Abyss the most by far. Their latest is very goodas well but just a notch below DMDS and WFA for me. I've never been able to get into Deathcrush - it just sounds too punky to me.

For their most experimental stuff - I fucking love Esoteric Warfare. Everything on that album is near perfect to me - it's probably overall my favorite Mayhem album. I'm still digesting Ordo Ad Chaos but it's growing on me.

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:42 pm 

IcyScythe wrote:
Looking for more like Mayhem. I actually never bother to listened to them for my first decade and a half in this genre because I assumed their later material would be terrible without the original songwriter. Needless to say I was wrong. I really enjoy both their weirder DSO-like stuff and their more classic BM sound. Surprisingly, I've had trouble finding more examples of both. A whole lot of the BM I run into is either more in the vein of Darkthrone, or is a depressive or blackgaze thing, neither of which I'm into.

Of their more standard black metal sound it's more or less a tie between the first half of DMDS and Wolf Lair's Abyss for me, although I also enjoy GDoW minus the random spoken word bits - the riffs are very strong IMO. Production wise, I like the sound of Wolf Lair's Abyss the most by far. Their latest is very goodas well but just a notch below DMDS and WFA for me. I've never been able to get into Deathcrush - it just sounds too punky to me.

For their most experimental stuff - I fucking love Esoteric Warfare. Everything on that album is near perfect to me - it's probably overall my favorite Mayhem album. I'm still digesting Ordo Ad Chaos but it's growing on me.

If you want stuff like DMDS:

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:52 pm 

well the only thing that sort of comes close to DMDS in essence and that is not just aesthetic cherry-picking or a failed imitation of attila's vocal style on that record, like some of those nidrosian copycats or frost (UK), checkout ofermod's mysterion tes anomias (the rerelease with 4 tracks). it does in fact borrow heavily from DMDS in terms of overall aesthetics, but the incredibly atmospheric music complements everything else perfectly.

your general request is quite tough tough, mainly because of mayhem's diversity between releases, and because of their general dynamics in songwriting. you can't really pinpoint stylistic similarities in other bands and say, these guys are like mayhem. so instead I'll recommend a few albums that may superficially appear completely different, but maybe you'll find something you're looking for:

-kriegsmaschine - altered states of divinity; this is the other incarnation of the mgla guys with their best album. it may seem like your standard religious/orthodox BM fare at first, but what you get is extremely well-written, riff-driven BM with first-class musicianship, diverse vocals and one of the greatest BM drummers around. very dynamic songwriting too, works as songs, but as a whole too. IMO its vibe comes pretty close to mayhem

the others will have to go without closer commenting:
-aaskereia - dort, wo das alte böse ruht
-horde - hellig usvart (this is actually old white/unblack/ christian black metal from australia). check it out.
-thorns - s/t; for the more mechanized/industrial-ish tinges in mayhem's riffing, even though obviously here it's the central element.

hope this helps, let me know what you think about this,
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

BirthOfDisease
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:00 pm 

mike_87 wrote:
Adorior are female fronted and from the UK arent they? And like Infernal war?? Nice. Just downloaded their stuff, what a pity they havent done an album since 2005 though?

Aye, I think that adds to how much I like them though to be honest. When a band has a small, but very strong body of work, then that's fantastic.

HviteGuden
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:55 am 

In addition to the mentioned DMDS alike bands I can also name Celestial Bloodshed, Ondskapt (especially on "Draco Sit Mihi Dux"), Whoredom Rife and early Туман.

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:56 am 

HviteGuden wrote:
Туман.

good call.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 209, 210, 211, 212, 213  Next