Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
necrobutcher1
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:52 pm 

hi everyone ım looking for Dissection influenced bands. any recs ?

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:01 pm 

dudeguy, are you aware of blacklodge? they also have a kind of "split" album with electronic-era abigor, though personally I'd rather recommend their first two.

then there's mysticum, although I'm fairly sure you'll be aware of them. their 1996 debut album is so pioneering in this niche/subgenre, but their sophomore/comeback album planet satan is killer too.

then one of my personal all-time favorites here is diabolicum's the dark blood rising. a different beast to the ones mentioned above, but you'd better listen for yourself. probably one of my top 10 from the 00's.

also make sure you check out the first and second aborym albums. way different to WNHI, but excellent nonetheless.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

Dudeguy Jones
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:46 pm 

Wow! Awesome! Im familiar with only the Blacklodge from the split you mention. I will have to dig deeper.
Ive seen both the other names in the "Similar Artists" column and definitely recall that Planet Satan albums release, but I really appreciate the human nod to go listen! I will check out both bands as soon as I can.

Morn Of Solace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:02 am 

Dudeguy Jones wrote:
Oh jeez. This is spot on! Very evil and satanic sounding! Thanks Morn!

For anyone else who may be interested:

Glad you liked! :) Also i back up Into_the_pit's suggestions, in particular Dark Blood Rising: the song War Tide is worth alone the price of the album :lol:

Dudeguy Jones
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:43 am 

Yeah, I have listened to it a few times and its insanely ripping. I think its possible I like it even more than Fractal Possession, just on a knee jerk reaction.
Will definitely be checking those others!!! Thanks again!

Dudeguy Jones
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:44 am 

necrobutcher1 wrote:
hi everyone ım looking for Dissection influenced bands. any recs ?

Hyperion is my favorite choice to share with people. There are zillions of bands who have this sort of sound, but I think the Hyperion album, Seraphical Euphony is just a great album that metal lovers should hear.

If youre looking for something more era specific, then the Sacramentum album Far Away From the Sun is probably a solid pick.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:04 am 

People, check out Strigoii if you haven't:

"Strigoii is a grim medieval Vampyric Black Metal entity created by Azgorh & Akhtya Nachttoter in the year of our master, 2018.
Musically it is dark, majestic and otherworldly, yet stricken with an undead lament, and lyrically it is a celebration between the metaphysical conceptualization of the nature of the Vampiric Spirit; the idea of survival beyond physical death and our deepest predatory instincts.

The unity of this Black Alchemical concept, the inverse “Solve and Coagula” begets the Undead. The folklore of Medieval Europe is woven in to act as a stimulant for the imagination, veiling the concepts of the Vampyre and those phantasmagoric realms existing within our darkest dreams. Within the folklore of the ancient world, the Moroii (Living Vampires) and Strigoii (Undead Vampires) would gather in ruined cemeteries, Desanctified chapels and forests to practice the Rituals of the Nosferatu and for the neophytes to learn the Runes of Black Magick.

There is a reference to “Karnstein” as a celebration of one of the first gothic vampire tales from Carmilla by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu which brings to fiction the vile, decaying Vampyre with a necrophiliac eroticism. The imagination of the sorcerous is paramount to individual Apotheosis in both life and death and this entire work is within the Circle of “Ad Majorem Satanae Gloriam”, “For the Greater Glory of Satan”.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cACAG52xdeE

Steel_Jaw
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:48 pm 

Dudeguy Jones wrote:
LOOKING FOR:
I get a huge kick out of Abigor - Fractal Possession and Balance Interruption - Door 218. I love the mix of electronic with extreme metal.
I think its a very careful balance that is also really capable of being too cheesy.

Abigor

Balance Int.

The new Vacantfield EP has some of this element to it. Lorn sort of touches upon the flavor, but more ambient. Thorns is awesome and so I guess thats a touch point, but Im mostly looking for more modern versions of that.
Thanks for any pointers! Apologies for being slightly vague!

Maybe the first Gorgonea Prima album is your cup of tea ;) It's an industrial black metal band from Czech Republic that mixes industrial black with electro.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:08 am 

Dudeguy Jones, if you're ever in the mood for something darker and more obscure I recommend Feldgrau, evolved from Pete Helmkamp's (sp?) industrial/noise/power electronics project Terror Organ and amped up the black metal influences.

And on the opposite end of that, if you're looking for something more catchy than previous recommendations, make sure to check out Samael's Passage if you haven't already, and Godkiller's The End of the World.

Also the Thorns half on their split with Emperor, I maintain that's the best Thorns material there is. Just fucking wickedly dark and oppressive sound. Recommended as digital files to conveniently remove the four useless tracks that are in the way without needing to skip.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Oheao
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:29 pm 

I really like Sigh, particularly Ghastly Funeral Theatre. I'm looking for something that sounds like that? I guess Celtic Frost-influenced guitars along with softer sections on there.

Morn Of Solace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:50 am 

Oheao wrote:
I really like Sigh, particularly Ghastly Funeral Theatre. I'm looking for something that sounds like that? I guess Celtic Frost-influenced guitars along with softer sections on there.

Sabbat's The Dwelling is a goldmine of riffs and different parts that give me a lot of that "weird japanese horror" feeling that reminds me of Sigh, if you don't know it i highly suggest it

ptsc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:10 pm 

I'd highly appreciate your help if you can point me to underground black metal bands are not only very unique in their nature and talented, but also explore in-depth topics like insanity, human psyche and contemporary state of humanity.

It's very important for me that the music and vocals are challenging and portray the subject/s at hand in a very committed and expressive manner. Please, don't mistake challenging for low quality production.

Note: Please, skip popular names like Mgla, early Shining, Silencer etc.

Exister
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:17 pm 

Kathaaria from Germany

and

Not really straight-forward black metal so maybe not what you're looking for. Definitely challenging music and vocals. More well-known but not talked bout as much as I'd like. More along the themes of insanity, possession, etc.

ptsc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:28 am 

Thanks! Loved Kathaaria a lot!

Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:48 am 

ptsc wrote:
I'd highly appreciate your help if you can point me to underground black metal bands are not only very unique in their nature and talented, but also explore in-depth topics like insanity, human psyche and contemporary state of humanity.

It's very important for me that the music and vocals are challenging and portray the subject/s at hand in a very committed and expressive manner. Please, don't mistake challenging for low quality production.

I'm merging this thread with the Black Metal Help Thread. We want to keep the appropriate requests in the designated megathreads, so please use them when appropriate.

Oheao
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:54 pm 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
Oheao wrote:

Sabbat's The Dwelling is a goldmine of riffs and different parts that give me a lot of that "weird japanese horror" feeling that reminds me of Sigh, if you don't know it i highly suggest it

I've listened to some Sabbat, not sure if I've checked that one out, though!

Korpgud
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:46 am 

I'm looking for Swedish avant garde black metal bands, preferably with lyrics in Swedish. The specific sound doesn't matter all that much, I'm just really curious about what exists, if anything. The only band I can think of at the top of my head is Bergraven. When I think of Swedish black metal I usually think of "orthodox" bands like Funeral Mist, Ondskapt and Watain - or your run of the mill pagan/nature themed BM like Skogen. Then of course you have ultra-fast mainstream bands like Marduk and Dark Funeral. Maybe there just isn't a big avant garde scene within BM here.

As I said the specific sound doesn't matter that much, I'm curious to discover groups all over the spectrum.

HviteGuden
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:05 am 

Korpgud wrote:
I'm looking for Swedish avant garde black metal bands, preferably with lyrics in Swedish. The specific sound doesn't matter all that much, I'm just really curious about what exists, if anything. The only band I can think of at the top of my head is Bergraven. When I think of Swedish black metal I usually think of "orthodox" bands like Funeral Mist, Ondskapt and Watain - or your run of the mill pagan/nature themed BM like Skogen. Then of course you have ultra-fast mainstream bands like Marduk and Dark Funeral. Maybe there just isn't a big avant garde scene within BM here.

As I said the specific sound doesn't matter that much, I'm curious to discover groups all over the spectrum.

Did you listen to Woods of Infinity? Not particularly avant-garde, but weird, raw, noisy, with some post influences on later stages and in Swedish. LIK (a project of Armagedda's member) is also a specific piece of music, it's a kind of blackened folkish occult rock with great scaldic styled vocals in Swedish.

Morn Of Solace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:08 am 

Korpgud wrote:

Two immediatly spring to mind: Diablo Swing Orchestra, wich are probably one of the most popular avantgarde bands, and Diabolical Masquerade (early weirdo side project of Katatonia Guitarist)

Another one i remember is Terra Tenebrosa, who had a bit of success among the Deathspell Omega crowd. I remember their album The Purging to be decent

Also there is the madman IT: I don't really know how to categorize Abruptum but they made some of the weirdest, most upsetting music i've heard.
Opthalamia also one of his projects that is pretty hard to classify: a hybrid of black metal vocals, heavy metal, classic doom, folky melodies. I like a lot the Via Dolorosa album, but i think i'm one of the five people around the world who do :lol:

last one i know: Oxiplegatz! weird sci-fi project of ex-At The Gates guitarist Alf Svesson. Sidereal Journey was a... Journey.

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:01 am 

Can anyone recommend other stuff similar to Mgla and Kriegsmaschine. Just discovered these two bands.

HviteGuden
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:26 am 

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:
Can anyone recommend other stuff similar to Mgla and Kriegsmaschine. Just discovered these two bands.

It's a popular and influential style today, there is a quite some amount of resembling artists. Actually, similar artists here on the site are descriptive pretty much. First you gotta check out the likes of Uada, Plaga, early Furia, Medico Peste, Lęk and so on.

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:29 am 

HviteGuden wrote:
sonic_enemy_333 wrote:

It's a popular and influential style today, there is a quite some amount of resembling artists. Actually, similar artists here on the site are descriptive pretty much. First you gotta check out the likes of Uada, Plaga, early Furia, Medico Peste, Lęk and so on.

Exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for. Can you point out some other bands as well.

HviteGuden
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:23 am 

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:
HviteGuden wrote:
sonic_enemy_333 wrote:

Exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for. Can you point out some other bands as well.

Try the likes of Groza, Szron and Human Serpent.

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:03 am 

Uada is really good. I was initially skeptical because of the 'melodic' tag but it turned out to be good serious stuff.

One of the best of these mentioned bands is Lek.

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:18 am 

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:
Uada is really good. I was initially skeptical because of the 'melodic' tag but it turned out to be good serious stuff.

Check Odraza too. You may enjoy Gaerea as well.

HviteGuden
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:23 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:
sonic_enemy_333 wrote:

Those are a bit different, but, yeah, also with some Mgła influences. Anyway, Odraza is more about Shining's later sound. And Gaerea sounds like a slower and more atmospheric version of modern Behemoth.

Korpgud
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:04 am 

HviteGuden wrote:
Did you listen to Woods of Infinity? Not particularly avant-garde, but weird, raw, noisy, with some post influences on later stages and in Swedish. LIK (a project of Armagedda's member) is also a specific piece of music, it's a kind of blackened folkish occult rock with great scaldic styled vocals in Swedish.

Oh man, I'm cringing really hard at the lyrics of Woods of Infinity :-D I probably won't listen to them anymore. LIK has more of what I already like, so I'll be checking out more of that later.

Morn Of Solace wrote:

Two immediatly spring to mind: Diablo Swing Orchestra, wich are probably one of the most popular avantgarde bands, and Diabolical Masquerade (early weirdo side project of Katatonia Guitarist)

Another one i remember is Terra Tenebrosa, who had a bit of success among the Deathspell Omega crowd. I remember their album The Purging to be decent

Also there is the madman IT: I don't really know how to categorize Abruptum but they made some of the weirdest, most upsetting music i've heard.
Opthalamia also one of his projects that is pretty hard to classify: a hybrid of black metal vocals, heavy metal, classic doom, folky melodies. I like a lot the Via Dolorosa album, but i think i'm one of the five people around the world who do :lol:

last one i know: Oxiplegatz! weird sci-fi project of ex-At The Gates guitarist Alf Svesson. Sidereal Journey was a... Journey.

I completely forgot about Terra Tenebrosa! I know them and really like them. Solid recommendation.

I was aware of Abruptum too. They're a bit too far into noise/ambient territory for my tastes, but I might give them another shot. I didn't know any of the other names you mentioned. I can't say particularly enjoy them (after listening very briefly just now), but I got exactly what I asked for. Thanks!

HviteGuden
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:13 am 

Korpgud wrote:
HviteGuden wrote:

Oh man, I'm cringing really hard at the lyrics of Woods of Infinity :-D I probably won't listen to them anymore. LIK has more of what I already like, so I'll be checking out more of that later.

Woods of Infinity was great. I wish I knew Swedish to understand their lyrics completely.

Korpgud
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:35 am 

ptsc wrote:

Spoiler: show

You might wanna check out Kostnatění. Their lyrics are all translated into English on there MA page, if that's important to you. Their guitar work has this weirdly twangy bendiness to it. Really cool and unique, or at least I haven't quite heard anything like it.

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:05 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:
sonic_enemy_333 wrote:

Many thanks for the recs so far.

Im looking for other dissonant black metal in the vein of Kriegsmaschine, Mgla and others.

EDIT:This is relevant as well

Last edited by sonic_enemy_333 on Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dr_Fiemost
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:50 am 

Korpgud wrote:
ptsc wrote:
Spoiler: show

You might wanna check out Kostnatění. Their lyrics are all translated into English on there MA page, if that's important to you. Their guitar work has this weirdly twangy bendiness to it. Really cool and unique, or at least I haven't quite heard anything like it.

Cool stuff! They're using some microtonal scale, 16-EDO or 19-EDO maybe.

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:48 am 

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:
sonic_enemy_333 wrote:

Im looking for other dissonant black metal in the vein of Kriegsmaschine, Mgla and others.

EDIT:This is relevant as well

I'm not sure what you're looking for because I wouldn't describe Mgla as dissonant. Are you familiar with Svartidaudi, Misthyrming, Sinmara, Zhrine, Deathspell Omega, etc or do you want more obscure stuff like Situs Magus?

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:08 pm 

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:
sonic_enemy_333 wrote:

A few random good bands that may have some similarities (not really dissonant) off the top of my head:
Murg, Spectral Wound, Insanity Cult
https://murg.bandcamp.com/album/varg-bj-rn
https://spectralwound.bandcamp.com/album/infernal-decadence
https://insanitycult.bandcamp.com/album/all-shall-return-to-chaos

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:12 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:
I'm not sure what you're looking for because I wouldn't describe Mgla as dissonant. Are you familiar with Svartidaudi, Misthyrming, Sinmara, Zhrine, Deathspell Omega, etc or do you want more obscure stuff like Situs Magus?

Heard Svartidaudi and Situs Magus so far and that's what I am looking for. I will write back about the others.

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:47 am 

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:

Heard Svartidaudi and Situs Magus so far and that's what I am looking for. I will write back about the others.

https://zhrine.bandcamp.com/album/unortheta

https://misthyrming.bandcamp.com/album/ ... s-og-rei-u

https://sinmara.bandcamp.com/album/aphotic-womb

https://deathspellomega.bandcamp.com/album/paracletus

https://akrotheism.bandcamp.com/album/l ... ven-deaths

https://akhlys.bandcamp.com/album/the-dreaming-i

https://rebirthofnefast.bandcamp.com/album/tabernaculum

https://skphwrmlst.bandcamp.com/album/k ... hryllingur

https://skaphe.bandcamp.com/album/sk-phe-2

https://wrmlst.bandcamp.com/album/the-feral-wisdom

https://avantgardemusic.bandcamp.com/al ... en-oracles

https://pureinferno.bandcamp.com/album/ ... -greatness

https://altarofperversion.bandcamp.com/album/intra-naos

https://agoniarecords.bandcamp.com/albu ... scriptures

https://agoniarecords.bandcamp.com/albu ... -angelorum

https://carpenoctem666.bandcamp.com/album/vitrun

https://devouringstar.bandcamp.com/albu ... -and-heart

https://dodecahedronsom.bandcamp.com/album/kwintessens

https://dsknt.bandcamp.com/album/phsphr-entropy

https://gileadmedia.bandcamp.com/album/vile-luxury

https://lvme.bandcamp.com/album/the-blazing-iniquity-2

https://gileadmedia.bandcamp.com/album/ ... ld-ceiling

funeralravens
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:04 pm 

What are your favourite raw black metal bands with a strong melodic riffwork like Bekhira, Winter Funeral and Seigneur Voland? Obviously, there are quite a few other bands from the French scene listed as similar to them, and I'll try to check them all out. Finnish black metal bands like Satanic Warmaster and Sargeist sound similar, but they are not quite as interesting IMO.
Please don't give me a huge list of bands, just the bands that you find the most interesting (and preferably why).
Edit: will throw Belenos (early material, although his later stuff is also good) and Kaevum in there as well. All these bands have the raw, melodic and medieval sound that more black metal bands should strive for IMO.

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:56 am 

funeralravens wrote:
What are your favourite raw black metal bands with a strong melodic riffwork like Bekhira, Winter Funeral and Seigneur Voland? Obviously, there are quite a few other bands from the French scene listed as similar to them, and I'll try to check them all out. Finnish black metal bands like Satanic Warmaster and Sargeist sound similar, but they are not quite as interesting IMO.
Please don't give me a huge list of bands, just the bands that you find the most interesting (and preferably why).
Edit: will throw Belenos (early material, although his later stuff is also good) and Kaevum in there as well. All these bands have the raw, melodic and medieval sound that more black metal bands should strive for IMO.

Right now Sulphuric Night.

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:16 am 

Ones that I liked:

Nexion
Altar of Perversion
Carpe Noctum
Dodecahedron(this one I liked especially much)
LVME

Ones I did not like as much or I am undecided on:

Inferno
Devouring Star
DSKNT
Imperial Triumphant
Yellow Eyes

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:11 pm 

funeralravens wrote:

Thanks for reminding me that Bekhira existed, I'm listening to the full album right now and it's so fucking good. A few things off the top of my head that may be somewhat similar, but probably not all as good.

Griffar - I used to listen to this a lot back in the early 2000s, 4 fairly raw, long melodic/medieval songs. They sounded like a totally different band on the album 11 years later.
https://open.spotify.com/album/6ixTbpuk274B040mABw5oT

Frozen Shadows - More aggressive, but absolutely raw and melodic. I love this entire album especially this song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fez6YSZoKZ0

Axis of Light - Probably the most raw and melodic example I can think of. Probably not as "medieval" sounding, but still a must listen
https://open.spotify.com/album/4hCU2Ff03pIE8V35MQu574

Ende - Maybe not raw enough, but a great French band that I need to listen to a bit more. Song 5 (The Black Hen's Blood) is awesome.
https://ende-official.bandcamp.com/album/emen-etan

Eternal Alchemist - More in vein of Sargeist
https://eternalalchemist.bandcamp.com/album/demon-summoning

Edit: Sulphuric Night sounds pretty good and I enjoyed LVME from the dissonant list as well.

funeralravens
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:46 pm 

Cool, lots of new bands to check out. I listened to Sulphuric Night's album and it's pretty good, even though I still think Bekhira is better.

Sick6Six wrote:
Thanks for reminding me that Bekhira existed, I'm listening to the full album right now and it's so fucking good. A few things off the top of my head that may be somewhat similar, but probably not all as good.

Thank you for your suggestions and yes, Bekhira is a great black metal band that should be better known. If you like them, you might enjoy Winter Funeral. They played together in Dark Sanctuary.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 212, 213, 214, 215, 216  Next