Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MDL
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:23 pm 

I'm currently elaborating my class plan for a presentation about the history of US cinema. We generally resort on some interesting elements, like a piece of music, an image or a poem to start the presentation and to make our students feel motivated for the class. I was thinking about incorporating an excerpt of a metal song that featured a characteristic cinematic, bombastic and Western movie-like type of aesthetic, in their sound and image, as I'll be talking about US Western movies in the presentation, as well.
I've initially thought about Orden Ogan's song "Gunman", as the music and the video fit the theme and what I'm looking for. However, I'm not quite sure if their story for that song is actually about that. I guess I need some help on that.

Before commenting, please, take into account the topics below:
*It must not be extreme metal or anything else, too fast or aggressive, evidently; preferably, symphonic or power metal;
*It has to feature an official video for that same song, which thematics have to be related to Western movies lifestyle and aesthetics.

Thanks in advance!

in_the_sign_of_metal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:52 pm 

The story behind Gunmen seems pretty standard western-y plot wise (if you discount the bit about the vampire and whatnot). Unjust death, love, redemption, vengeance etc...

Another totally Western themed song off the top of my head is Manowar's "Outlaw." Not sure if there's a good video for it though.

Someone made an incredible video for W.A.S.P.'s track "Widowmaker" that could fit the bill. Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CprjKrgvAYk&t=130s

Speaking of that band, "Blind In Texas" is pretty fun. Depending on how you view them, Ratt's "Wanted Man" and accompanying vid also works.

ClovenWoof
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:14 am 

Wayfarer?

Reply to topic