Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
wednesdaysixx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:03 am 

Amosofnlm wrote:
Hi folks. I have quite a general request here.
I've been into punk since I was a kid but I wouldn't be terribly knowledgeable about the genre.
Some bands that I like are The Offspring, Bad Religion, Dead Kennedys and Amebix.
Any suggestions along those fairly broad lines would be great. Cheers.

I’m not sure if you wants recommendations like Black Flag, The Adolescents, The Descendants, Gorilla Biscuits, Refused, or Charged GBH, Extreme Noise Terror, Skitsystem. The Amebix is throwing me there with the metallic/Motörhead-influenced sound. Wolfbrigade? Anti-Cimex? Discharge? Those bands too metallic? Suicidal Tendencies? I can’t tell from your post how deep you want to go here, all the bands I’ve just listed may be too obvious for you.

~Guest 322837
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:40 pm 

Anyone got anything like Breach's "It's Me God"? I need something that's grimy and harsh in that vein, I know that's a pretty broad request. Well aware of Terra Tenebrosa and stuff in that vein would be nice too but i'd like some stuff that leans closer to hardcore.

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:46 pm 

Can I get a recommendation for blackened or technical crust punk?

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:58 pm 

TheConqueror1 wrote:
Can I get a recommendation for blackened or technical crust punk?

Technical crust isn’t a thing (maybe you’re thinking of stadium crust)but Dishammer plays some excellent blackened d-beat/crust. Iskra is very popular but it’s too much black metal and not enough punk.

untappd: patrick_g

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:16 pm 

technical.... crust?
Crust can go experimental/prog/whatever and become neocrust but its not really something you can make technical.

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:29 pm 

What are some good crust punk albums?

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:41 pm 

TheConqueror1 wrote:

A classic: Disrupt - Unrest

Actually the only crust I can enjoy for some reason. The genre in general is rather stupid imo.

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:29 am 

TheConqueror1 wrote:

Seconding Disrupt

His Hero Is Gone and Dystopia are probably my two favourites.

Also give Anti Cimex, Disfear, Skitsystem, Tragedy and Wolfpack a look

josantyago
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:38 pm 

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 5:50 am 

Anyone know anything similar to Mass Grave? So really catchy and relatively varied crust/grind which is a little more extreme than the Wolfbrigade types.

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 3:32 pm 

disrupt, cyness, human error. warcollapse, psykkoanalyysi

Twilightkid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 4:06 pm 

Tragedy

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 3:14 pm 

We're finally getting some new Swordwielder very soon. Sounds just as good as Grim Visions of Battle.

https://profaneexistence.bandcamp.com/a ... verlord-lp

P.E. will also be reissuing the Misery/S.D.S. split too. Never thought that would happen.

josantyago
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:59 pm 

josantyago
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:33 pm 

Out 28th June

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:12 am 

sick

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:55 am 

Any other newer crust/stenchcore records come out in recent times that I should know about? I'm a big fan of recent output from Fatum (Rus), Ruinebell, Swordwielder, and Alement to name a few bands. I really like thrashier stuff that sounds like Sacrilege UK, or the more brooding, pummeling style played by bands like Axegrinder.

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:05 pm 

Dragunov wrote:
Any other newer crust/stenchcore records come out in recent times that I should know about? I'm a big fan of recent output from Fatum (Rus), Ruinebell, Swordwielder, and Alement to name a few bands. I really like thrashier stuff that sounds like Sacrilege UK, or the more brooding, pummeling style played by bands like Axegrinder.

The Duality EP from Carnage is excellent crust in the axegrinder vein. It was released by Profane Existence. They’re listed on the archives.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:46 pm 

thrashmaniac87 wrote:
The Duality EP from Carnage is excellent crust in the axegrinder vein. It was released by Profane Existence. They’re listed on the archives.

This sounds cool! Thanks for the rec!

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:47 pm 

New crust band out of Portland just came to my attention thanks to the Sorry State newsletter. Very much in the vein of Amebix/Antisect.

https://rigorous-institution.bandcamp.com/

josantyago
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:09 pm 

Saw them live last week on their European tour. It has the drummer of Black Breath

josantyago
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:47 pm 

New album 8th November: "The Enemy: Reality"

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:52 pm 

sounds good, their last album was fine but nothing spectacular this sounds better than the average song on the last one.

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:01 pm 

My band The Phosphorus Bombs has a new EP coming out next week, recorded at The Pet Food Factory studios, produced by Jay Whalley (singer of Frenzal Rhomb).

Those interested in heavier skatepunk and hardcore should check it out. Here's a link to the first single '...Against You!' - https://thephosphorusbombs.bandcamp.com ... you-single

I'd describe it as Sick Of It All meets No Control era Bad Religion. People have also compared it to Gang Green, No Fun At All and RKL. Throw me a bone and give it a spin. Keen to hear some more feedback.

josantyago
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:41 pm 

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:59 am 

have been meaning to check em out for a while now, i guess i should get to it.

josantyago
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:46 pm 

Muhammadabbadabba
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 2:27 am 

Seeing that this doesn't exactly fit into the Thrash thread, I thought I'd inquire here.

I seek metallic motörpunk. Bands that combine the turbocharged aggression of Hardcore with the technique of Speed/Heavy Metal. The music can be thrashy, but not in the way it's conventionally understood in the context of Metal. Bands that have nailed this style I've yet to see in others: Mace, Executioner, Genöcide, Overkill L.A.

Mace - Process of Elimination

Executioner - In the Name of Metal

Genöcide - Submit to Genöcide (start at 46m:50s)

Overkill L.A. - Triumph of the Will:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 8D78DD82E2

Bands that don't fit the bill that may seem so to others: 99% of Crossover Thrash (I love 'em all, but they aren't what I'm looking for), 99% of Stenchcore (ditto)

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 2:51 am 

Muhammadabbadabba wrote:
Seeing that this doesn't exactly fit into the Thrash thread, I thought I'd inquire here.

I seek metallic motörpunk. Bands that combine the turbocharged aggression of Hardcore with the technique of Speed/Heavy Metal. The music can be thrashy, but not in the way it's conventionally understood in the context of Metal. Bands that have nailed this style I've yet to see in others: Mace, Executioner, Genöcide, Overkill L.A.

Bands that don't fit the bill that may seem so to others: 99% of Crossover Thrash (I love 'em all, but they aren't what I'm looking for), 99% of Stenchcore (ditto)

It might be a bit too chaotic and noisy, but how about Atavistic's "Vanishing Point" LP? It has more of a Motorhead groove than their 2 earlier EPs.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 2B66FD7E9F

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:38 am 

Finally got Agnostic Front “Get Loud!”. 40 years after forming and they’re still kicking ass. I never get tired of Vinnie Stigmas riffing, guy’s a bloody legend.

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:44 pm 

spun some d-beat for the first time in a while today.
https://pissedoffrecs.bandcamp.com/albu ... tion-ep-cs
this is some cool stuff from Singapore

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:09 pm 

If you like Rorschach, with the dense riffing and gasoline, caustic vocals, the German/Bremen scene of the 90s had some fantastic records. I've been digging into the 2nd and 3rd tiers the past couple days via another conversation. Per Koro was THE label for this, but it wasn't restricted to them. The Systral - Fever 10" and the Morser - Two Hours to Doom LP/CD are monsters. Carol, Acme, Ambush, Aclys, Acheborn, Stack, Akephal, Zann, Zorn, Mine, Corrosive, Golgatha, Linsay, and a few others I'm forgetting now. In the late-90s, these bands morphed out of hardcore and into death metal, grindcore, and metalcore influences. It would be easy to write them off if you hadn't heard their early releases. Once they so clearly moved away from Rorschach, they lost me. And don't forget the wonderful Plot compilation LP.

Union of Uranus, Drift, and One Eyed God Prophecy were the peripheral, Canadian area of this hardcore. And then you had The Dagda - Threefold album across the Atlantic.

josantyago
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:31 am 

Some portuguese crust

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:32 am 

josantyago wrote:
Some portuguese crust

Currently listening to this and really digging it!
Lesson #0 in life: don't be a fucking retard.

childrenofthenight wrote:
Would you say you were touched by Satan's Almighty Penis?

Last.fm

oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:39 am 

Can anyone recommend me very metallic punk? Not talking about metalcore, I don't like it too much. I'm talking more like punk that has a very "metal" feel to it, something that could be borderline acceptable for this site.

One example is this Rise against song, although most of their songs don't sound like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d96W_cKI71o

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:10 pm 

oogboog wrote:
Can anyone recommend me very metallic punk? Not talking about metalcore, I don't like it too much. I'm talking more like punk that has a very "metal" feel to it, something that could be borderline acceptable for this site.

One example is this Rise against song, although most of their songs don't sound like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d96W_cKI71o

Have you heard SDS, aka Societic Death Slaughter? Or Misery? Or crust in general? Or 90s Swedish HC, like Skitsystem?

https://www.discogs.com/artist/568300-SDS

https://youtu.be/vn-or0XCssc

https://miserycrust.bandcamp.com/releases

Korpgud
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:04 am 

wraithlike wrote:
Anyone got anything like Breach's "It's Me God"? I need something that's grimy and harsh in that vein, I know that's a pretty broad request. Well aware of Terra Tenebrosa and stuff in that vein would be nice too but i'd like some stuff that leans closer to hardcore.

Dude, you have to check out Moloken:
Spoiler: show

Another old favorite is Rentokiller. Like a more coked up version of Breach.

Totem Skin is also good

Scudculture, new band from my hometown:

Maybe the tempo makes it sound a bit more like Cult of Luna, but it's not like Breach and CoL are worlds apart.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:29 pm 

Hey guys. I've been spinning Amebix's Sonic Mass a whole lot these past weeks. It's interesting to me how some songs basically sound like the precursor to Tau Cross, but I love the added tension that the later doesn't sport. So if anyone has any recs on stuff similar in style to Sonic Mass I'm all in for them.

Preferred songs for reference would be stuff like The Messenger and its chorus, God of the Grain and its tense songwriting, and definitely Knights of the Black Sun with... well, everything it has. :D

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:08 am 

androdion wrote:
Hey guys. I've been spinning Amebix's Sonic Mass a whole lot these past weeks. It's interesting to me how some songs basically sound like the precursor to Tau Cross, but I love the added tension that the later doesn't sport. So if anyone has any recs on stuff similar in style to Sonic Mass I'm all in for them.

Preferred songs for reference would be stuff like The Messenger and its chorus, God of the Grain and its tense songwriting, and definitely Knights of the Black Sun with... well, everything it has. :D

The first and most obvious one that comes to mind is Killing Joke, which you may be already aware of. Their influence is all over "Sonic Mass". Try "Hosannas..." and "Absolute Dissent". They've had such a long and amazing career and I honestly recommend everything by them apart from a couple of albums in the mid to late '80s.
One other rec is Axegrinder "Satori". Awesome album.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:25 am 

MetlaNZ wrote:
androdion wrote:

The first and most obvious one that comes to mind is Killing Joke, which you may be already aware of. Their influence is all over "Sonic Mass". Try "Hosannas..." and "Absolute Dissent". They've had such a long and amazing career and I honestly recommend everything by them apart from a couple of albums in the mid to late '80s.
One other rec is Axegrinder "Satori". Awesome album.

I'm actually aware of both bands, just not very familiar with their work. I remember a friend of mine borrowing me the Axegrinder/Prophecy of Doom split a long time ago and I liked jamming stuff like "Warmachine" at the time. Can't say I've ever heard anything else they did after that though, but I reckon it's a band I should revisit. Jamming Hossanas From the Basements of Hell as I type, it's interesting so far. :)

Anything else that not only combines the dirtiness of punk/industrial but also that kind of acoustic folk vibe that some songs on Sonic Mass (and later Tau Cross as well) bear? I've given Current 93 a few shots a few years back but I thought that the band was much more interesting to me in terms of its sonic influence than its songwriting.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next