Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kommanderhooyah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:12 pm 

Please do. Especially blackened funeral doom.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:30 am 

Given your points of reference, I guess you're more into harsh, brutal sounds. Well, these little babies will make your ears bleed:

RELIQUARY: https://youtu.be/BKDIGXP--0E
TREES: https://youtu.be/OCUZFwwOPgc
NYCTOPHOBIA (UK): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3uYdKxWh3Y
MONUMENTS OF URN: https://youtu.be/GlpAbdxEykk
BLACK BILE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OJSqpWtbOI
SENTHIL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMly9NwwSzk

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:39 pm 

Looks like you need some Woods of Belial. Black/Doom with industrial influences. One of the first (if not the first) "torture doom" bands, which seems to be what you're looking for. Though they don't perfectly fit your description, they definitely are suffocating and harsh. And there are some weird, haunting melodic sounds going on.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:51 pm 

Is there a doom band that plays the funeral march?

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:26 am 

What do you mean by "the funeral march"?

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:49 am 

Morphine1873 wrote:
What do you mean by "the funeral march"?

Literally the all known funeral march. Chopin? Marche Funébre?

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:28 am 

aha, The Funeral March by Chopin! With the appropriate capital letters and the name of the composer, it becomes clearer. :D

Well, the sole stuff I know of is this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuLVWuUFR40

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:35 am 

Morphine1873 wrote:
aha, The Funeral March by Chopin! With the appropriate capital letters and the name of the composer, it becomes clearer. :D

Well, the sole stuff I know of is this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuLVWuUFR40

It was clear as it was ;) I'll check it out later

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:04 pm 

I'm looking for some funeral doom with emotional lyrics. Despite the genre name, I haven't really found any songs that truly convey the feeling of grief, loss, mourning, etc. Funeral, for instance, on their debut, try way too hard to be poetic, in my opinion.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:02 am 

Sepulchrave wrote:
I'm looking for some funeral doom with emotional lyrics. Despite the genre name, I haven't really found any songs that truly convey the feeling of grief, loss, mourning, etc. Funeral, for instance, on their debut, try way too hard to be poetic, in my opinion.

Although I don't pay attention to lyrics, and they're often devoured by undecipherable gurglings anyway, I still can recommend you Mistress of the Dead as a genuinely funeral-sounding project.

an example of the lyrics: https://www.flashlyrics.com/lyrics/mist ... /buried-18

Azrael44
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:23 pm 

I would like to know some Gothic Death Doom albums (preferably from 90's) like Paradise Lost - Gothic or Septic Flesh - Mystic Places Of Dawn.
I already know ToT, MDB, Anathema, Estatic Fear. It can be sole Death Metal or Black metal (or whatever else) but it must have the old school gothic style.

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:48 pm 

something to try:

Tiamat - Clouds
Crematory - Just Dreaming
Heavenwood - Diva
Lake of Tears - Greater Art
Darkseed - Midnight Solemnly Dance
The Blood Divine - Awaken
Cemetary - Godless Beauty
Pyogenesis - Ignis Creatio

Last edited by Xymosys on Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:54 pm 

Xymosys wrote:
something to try:

Tiamat - Clouds
Crematory - Just Dreaming
Heavenwood - Diva
Lake of Tears - Greater Art
Darkseed - Midnight Solemnly Dance
The Blood Divine - Awaken
Cemetary - Godless Beauty

Maybe some early Anathema

Azrael44
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:00 pm 

Thanks guys ill check it out

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:23 pm 

WingedOctopus wrote:
Also, just as a general recommendation, if there is any death/doom with sparkly clean production and live violin/viola/cello/contrabass, I'd love to hear it.

Check out Virgin Black's [hopefully not] final album Requiem - Fortissimo:

(Each album of theirs is fairly different from the rest, but they're all excellent IMO.)

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:07 am 

Many My Dying Bride albums feature a violin, these two for instance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2HRbTsayXo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqcwe8ZVdHg

There's cello in Narrow House's A Key to Panngrieb (Funeral Doom):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZToot67AlCw

There's viola in Funestum (Funeral Doom - previous incarnation of Narrow House):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R17qdXEQFFY

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:32 pm 

I'm looking for some super slow death-doom that doesn't really have any fast-parts like most bands in the genre. Think all the slow parts of Incantation mixed with Wormphlegm and lots of deep incomprehensible gutturals if possible. Not really looking for the melodic and emotional style of funeral doom, just grim long and sloooooow death-doom.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:31 pm 

Twin_guitar_attack wrote:
I'm looking for some super slow death-doom that doesn't really have any fast-parts like most bands in the genre. Think all the slow parts of Incantation mixed with Wormphlegm and lots of deep incomprehensible gutturals if possible. Not really looking for the melodic and emotional style of funeral doom, just grim long and sloooooow death-doom.

You want Encoffination. Specifically, their third album.

https://selfmadegod.bandcamp.com/album/ ... me-o-death

Super slow, yet super ominous. Very minimalist and non-emotional. Just very dead sounding. But I do like it; it has some sort of enthralling vibe to it.

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:34 am 

Ah man, nailed it in one.

I forgot about these guys when I discovered Grave Upheaval and haven't listened to them in forever, and certainly haven't heard this album. Like almost exactly what I had in my head. Wouldn't mind more brutal vocals instead of "evil whispering" but this is 95% of what I had going on in my head.

If GU are one step away from just becoming full on drone and leaving the metal spectrum altogether these are two steps.

Cheers Wilytank.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:54 pm 

If it helps, I like Encoffination's second album more. That one is a beast and a half.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:25 am 

I'm looking for some super slow death-doom that doesn't really have any fast-parts like most bands in the genre.

Hard to draw a clear limit between super slow death doom and funeral doom... But I tried to stay away from the most atmospheric stuff. These recs all have a rawer feel and could be to your taste if you like Encoffination (I suppose you already know of Disembowelment and Evoken...)

Indesinence/Noctambulism - The Funeral Orchestra/Slow Shall Be The Whole Of The Law - Runemagick- Evenom - THORR'S HAMMER - Dommedagsnatt - Anhedonist/Netherwards - Serpentine Path/St - Stomach Earth/St - The Nihilistic Front/The Four Seasons In Misery (deep growls) - Rigor Sardonicous/Ego Diligio Vos (deep growls)

Now, you could check the sludge doom scene as well, stuff like Abandon or Volition have super slow, very stripped-down songs too...

Azrael44
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:24 am 

I'm looking for some super slow death-doom that doesn't really have any fast-parts like most bands in the genre. Not really looking for the melodic and emotional style of funeral doom, just grim long and sloooooow death-doom.

Mourning Beloveth - The Sullen Sulcus

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:19 am 

Mourning Beloveth is a good rec, but not this album imo. A Murderous Circus is slower and bleaker. That's the one I'd point to. ;)

Ontsarguiz
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:01 am 

I'm looking for funeral doom metal with a similar production (not super clean, but fuzzy and warm), guitar work, vocals and mood to Skepticism debut

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:58 am 

Ontsarguiz wrote:
I'm looking for funeral doom metal with a similar production (not super clean, but fuzzy and warm), guitar work, vocals and mood to Skepticism debut

Profetus' demo is very similar in sound. Profetus' sound is overall very indepted to Skepticism.
Try also Hyponic's The Noise of Time, a mix between Skepticism and Evoken.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:17 am 

Morphine1873 wrote:
Ontsarguiz wrote:

Profetus' demo is very similar in sound. Profetus' sound is overall very indepted to Skepticism.
Try also Hyponic's The Noise of Time, a mix between Skepticism and Evoken.

Good call! Gonna listen to it when I am home.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:10 am 

Glad I can lead some here to new discoveries. Hyponic is a very interesting band, always evolving, their latest album was much more desolate-sounding, more akin to Corrupted's bleak soundscapes.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:30 am 

Man, Coffins' Craving to Eternal Slumber is absolutely crushing. I've heard their debut before but that one didn't really click, but this sounds really good and sounds a bit more direct to my ears, while their debut just dragged on from what I recall.

Ontsarguiz
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:09 am 

I liked your recs man

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:31 am 

I've discovered this band called Despondent Chants lately and they seem pretty cool. Melodic and definitely more in the weepy field of doom/death, but unlike anything I've ever heard before.

Give them a try!

kktz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:56 pm 

Ontsarguiz wrote:

Try Pohakka, a bit different approach to doom but very similar mood to me.

Purabid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:53 am 

Searching for funeral doom with 100% clean vocals. Not something that mixes growls with cleans. No faster parts, no progressive stuff. Acoustic guitars are okay. Vocals can be either male or female or both as long as there is no harsh vocals. I would prefer the guitars to be as less distorted as possible and production to be as clean as possible.

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 4:40 am 

^

Fallen - A Tragedy's Bitter End features male cleans exclusively i believe. Maybe Funeral - From These Wounds, though that may be more in the gothic/doom genre.
Lesson #0 in life: don't be a fucking retard.

childrenofthenight wrote:
Would you say you were touched by Satan's Almighty Penis?

Last.fm

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:02 am 

Purabid wrote:
Searching for funeral doom with 100% clean vocals. Not something that mixes growls with cleans. No faster parts, no progressive stuff. Acoustic guitars are okay. Vocals can be either male or female or both as long as there is no harsh vocals. I would prefer the guitars to be as less distorted as possible and production to be as clean as possible.

Z0MBIE wrote:
Fallen - A Tragedy's Bitter End

Agreed, Fallen is definitely a good choice.

Skumring - De Glemte Tider (funeral doom metal with acoustic folk passages, and exclusively clean female singing. The title track on the album gets a bit faster towards the middle, but otherwise, it's extremely slow)

Omit are the brother band of both Fallen and Skumring; featuring members from both projects. Same female singer as Skumring, difference is here there are no folk elements, but more symphonic sounding sections. Still extremely slow, and with a notably clean sounding tone.

Murkrat - Drudging the Mire (funeral doom mixed with dark ambient/gothic elements. Practically everything is done by one woman, aside from the drums. Her voice sounds like Lisa Gerrard from Dead Can Dance but a bit darker. Basically, imagine if Skepticism had female singing. Unfortunately, the production and guitar tone aren't super clean here.)

Eirð - A Silent Spirit's Aftermath (one man project playing the same kind of stuff as Fallen; super slow and mournful funeral doom with haunting keyboards and deep, almost gothic sounding male vocals. He changed his style to more of an ambient doom direction after this EP.)

Thaddeus - The Aeneid (funeral doom with a lot of quiet neoclassical piano sections and classical sounding baritone singing. The quiet sections go on a bit longer than they should, but the heavier sections sound decent.)

Cult of Herodias - Dance of Seven Veils (raw funeral doom with operatic female singing. They have good ideas and she has a beautiful voice, but it's never quite clicked with me. Her melodies are a bit too pleasant for the dark tone, and the production is a bit too lo-fi sounding for me. It's very bedroom funeral doom project sounding, if that makes any sense)

Grey November - The Fall of the House of Usher (dreamy funeral doom with ethereal female singing, not too different from Omit but with more of a darkwave element to it)

Bosque - Beyond (raw, droney sounding funeral doom with ethereal clean male chants. Their earlier albums featured some growls and screams, but this album is entirely clean sung.)

The following are select songs that consist of funeral doom with clean singing. The rest of the albums either feature harsh vocals, or don't sound like funeral doom.

Funeral - Moment in Black

Consummatum Est - Winter Sacrament

The Slow Death - People Like Me, People Like You (same female vocalist as Murkrat)

Godsend - As the Shadows Fall (this particular track is pretty similar to Fallen. The other songs on the album sound like traditional doom, whereas this one is much slower)

KC
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:34 am 

Try Towards Atlantis Lights which has members of Pantheist, Aphonic Threnody and Void of Silence - https://towardsatlantislights.bandcamp.com/

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:21 am 

Check out this excellent crushing death doom act from Serbia; they've been dormant for quite some time, but this new output is a convincing rebirth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmTPwlsIdHE

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:44 am 

Check out this awesome, super underground Funeral drone doom act from Russia, Cone Forest:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi3jHByX3Z0

Kommanderhooyah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:50 pm 

Can anyone recommend some death/doom and/or black/doom with clean female vocals?

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:57 am 

Kommanderhooyah wrote:
Can anyone recommend some death/doom and/or black/doom with clean female vocals?

*obligatory The Slow Death/Crone/Murkrat recommendation*

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:01 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Kommanderhooyah wrote:

*obligatory The Slow Death recommendation*

I KNEW IT. :lol: Maybe I should revisit that band - they didn't click the last time I tried them (which has been years) but plenty of bands require several spins through the years before they finally do something for me.

I checked Grindmaster Dead again, for instance and now I wonder why they didn't click before. Pretty obscure doom/death with...flutes.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next