Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Secret Glory
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:44 am 

droneriot wrote:
Careful, the 100% complete absence of testosterone in Backworld and In Gowan Ring vocals might be difficult for a metal fan, unless you are into post-metal. Personally I couldn't handle either group.

Backworld's vocalist doesn't sound that different from say Douglas Pearce or Boyd Rice. Anyway, I don't know what you're expecting when you listen to much of folk music honestly. You're not going to find many Manowar vocals.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:57 am 

Secret Glory wrote:
droneriot wrote:
Careful, the 100% complete absence of testosterone in Backworld and In Gowan Ring vocals might be difficult for a metal fan, unless you are into post-metal. Personally I couldn't handle either group.

Backworld's vocalist doesn't sound that different from say Douglas Pearce or Boyd Rice. Anyway, I don't know what you're expecting when you listen to much of folk music honestly. You're not going to find many Manowar vocals.

What are you on about? What makes you think anyone here is looking for Manowar vocals? Also? No. It DOES sound different.

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:50 am 

Recently I been really getting into Death In June and The Swans neo folk stuff, kinda was wondering what are some good Neofolk artist to check out from there.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:30 pm 

Just out of curiosity, what do you consider to be Swans neofolk stuff? I've heard all their albums and wouldn't call any of them neofolk per se. If you like Death In June (pretty much 80% of what I've been listening to these last two weeks tbh, such a massive discography full of cool shit), the most obvious place to go would be Sol Invictus (Tony Wakeford was an original member of DI6). Blood Axis and Of The Wand and the Moon are very much worth checking out. Rome has some cool shit, digging A Passage to Rhodesia lately. Not really that much like DI6 but Tenhi is a rec that will come up again and again for neofolk and is quite good.

While we're talking about Death in June and Sol Invictus I'd love to hear more stuff like Death in June's But What Ends When the Symbols Shatter and Sol Invictus's The Blade and Death of the West. Basically accessible song structure, good, somewhat ethereal production and padded out by additional instrumentation - piano, keyboards, trumpets ect..

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:30 pm 

The Burning World is pretty Neofolk, The Swans most Neofolk album. Though they have elements of neofolk on the the couple albums after it. Thanks for the rec, will start with the album you mentioned!!! Also But What Ends When the Symbols Shatter is the album I am loving the most from Death in June.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:43 pm 

I personally wouldn't call The Burning World neofolk, but I get what you mean. Probably their closest to the genre. I actually like that one, although most fans seem to consider it their weakest album and Gira himself hates it.

What Ends is definitely his best, the consistency on some albums can be a bit spotty but here every song is great. Lately I've been listening to a lot of the 80s stuff. The Guilty Have No Pride is a killer post-punk album, and Nada! is so fucking out there, a continuation of that but with weird electronic elements. If you haven't already checked out The World that Summer and Brown book, I would highly recommend both, very weird experimentation drawing from many streams but wrapped into really accessible songs (for the most part, anyway). Wall of Sacrifice is so weird, half bizarre soundscape exploration, but then has some of his classic neofolk songs like Fall Apart.

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:36 am 

I actually got into both bands because of the Post-Punk/Goth Scenes, as I was really getting into that kind of music at the end of 2016 and I didn't know that Swans album was consider the weakest by fans, haha. I am really loving that album. So far with death in june I have only listen to What Ends, Nada!, Wall of Sacrifice, and Rose cloud, but I will check out those other albums you mention.

Nordic_Warhammer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:02 am 

maidenpriestmanic wrote:
Recently I been really getting into Death In June and The Swans neo folk stuff, kinda was wondering what are some good Neofolk artist to check out from there.

I would recommend Sol Invictus, Der Blutharsch, Fire + Ice, Blood Axis.

Also, this is a fantastic 4 disc set of various neofolk artists (and some vaguely related bands) and it is only a little over 20 dollars:

https://www.amazon.com/Looking-Europe-Compendium-VARIOUS-ARTISTS/dp/393687803X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484643558&sr=8-1&keywords=neofolk+compilation

Vorfahren: Neofolk from the Pacific Northwest https://vorfahren.bandcamp.com/releases

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:29 pm 

Anyone here familiar with Current 93's discography? I really like Swastikas for Noddy, despite how oddball it is. He has a pretty big discog and it's kind of daunting to figure out where to go from there.

theoctavarius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:21 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:
Anyone here familiar with Current 93's discography? I really like Swastikas for Noddy, despite how oddball it is. He has a pretty big discog and it's kind of daunting to figure out where to go from there.

I'm somewhat familiar with it, though it's a bit hard to make a recommendation, since David's covered so much ground with the project. If you want something a little more folky and "normal" (by C93's standards), then go for Thunder Perfect Mind and All the Pretty Little Horses. If you want some creepy, harsh ritual ambient, check out Nature Unveiled. Aleph at Hallucinatory Mountain is a more psychedelic rock driven affair, while the I Have a Special Plan for This World EP is... special. Probably one of the most grotesque and fever-dreamish things I've ever heard, and unlike anything else they've done.
Was du geschlagen
zu Gott wird es dich tragen!

-Gustav Mahler

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:45 pm 

I agree and add "Of ruine or some blazing starre" for the folk side, wich has some of their best simple acoustic songs.. and of course the Lucifer over London ep

Grimbeard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:43 pm 

I love most C93 but Black Ships Ate the Sky is one of my favorite albums of all time.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:03 am 

Thanks for the recs, guys.
Here's what I've heard so far:

Aleph at Hallucinatory Mountain:
Holy shit I fucking love this, maybe even as much as Swastikas for Noddy. Just as much psychedelic/doom as whatever the hell you'd call Current 93 normally. Some of this actually reminds me of certain psych-tinged stoner jams from Boris. Very, very cool stuff.

Black Ships Ate the Sky:
Another really cool one. I like how he has that one short song multiple times with a different vocalist each time. Very apocalyptic atmosphere but still has some really cool transcendental vibes.

Sleep Has His House:
Very ambient and ritualistic, I dig it a lot but will have to listen more for it to really sink in. The title track was really cool, I was already sort of familiar from L'acephale's cover but obviously the original is completely different.

Of Ruine or some Blazing Starr:
Ehhh, I'm not sure about this one. Really liked the sparse neofolk instrumentation (by far the most neofolk of any of these), but I have to be honest for some reason I found his half singing/half talking narration thing kind of grating here. Maybe it is because the music is more simple and there's less additional instrumentation?

Currently listening to Thunder Perfect Mind and it's essentially what I wish Ruine was, very cool album so far. All in all I'm digging most of what I've heard so far. Kind of hard to binge listen because I find his voice can get to be a bit much if I listen to multiple albums in a row.

Chziime
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:41 pm 

Does anyone have any recommendations of metal bands that are influenced by neofolk, specifially martial industrial? I don't mean bands with nature folk influences like Agalloch, I mean bands that sound like Die Weisse Rose, Wappenbund, and even DiJ's more industrial stuff, but with distorted guitars. Vocals can be clean or harsh.

Anything with percussion that is closer to being 'martial' instead of using a conventional drum kit would be great.

Something with thundering drums and spoken words like this, but with distorted guitars:

Even something like Kall's new song reminds me a bit of Current 93... where the vocals just kind of emote, almost detached, over the music:

Thanks!

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:53 am 

Well, obviously some of Fredrik Söderlund's black metal material - especially Parnassus - is quite similar to Puissance, since it's the same guy playing the keyboards.

Zaraza is an industrial metal band with strong martial industrial influence, but their influence doesn't come from cheese synth modern martial industrial (they predate that anyway) but straight from Laibach, and thereby might be difficult to get into for cheese synth fans.

Never understood why Silenius never did a hybrid of his projects, Kreuzweg Ost with Summoning riffs, seems like an obvious thing to do, but he never did - would have been the perfect recommendation here but he hasn't thought of it yet.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:44 pm 

I feel that most neofolk groups would be better off writing poetry than attempting to play music. I mean, let's face it, most of Current 93's "music" is absolutely awful. Save us the burden of listening to a tedious single chord played for 8 minutes, and put your ramblings down on paper.

Not that the poetry is particularly great, either.

But since this is the recommendations forum, does anyone have any neofolk that actually *does* feature competent musicians? I'd be surprised, but you never know.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:41 am 

Corde Oblique have a really good guitar player and overall good musicianship, but they are on the.. well, "folk" side of neofolk rather than the "apocalyptic" one.

Their album "volonta' d'arte" is strong, if you like the style

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:22 am 

Seconding Corde Oblique's "Volonta D'arte". What a fantastic album. Really involved instrumentally and the female vocals are amazing. Arbeit's "Zum Einem Neuen Licht" is really dope too, largely piano-based neofolk with lots of additional instrumentation.

Expedience, if you don't like the vocal style in Current 93, maybe try Hypnopazuzu. It's a sort of psychedelic rock thing with the current 93 dude with one of the Killing Joke dudes. Dave actually legit sings in it!

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:14 am 

I've got enough good psychedelic rock and folk, but thanks. No, the vocal style doesn't bother me it's the complete absence of musicianship. Soft Black Stars has some, but there's precious little on the other albums. I guess neofolk is just "not my thing".

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:40 pm 

Are you strung out on a multitude of mind numbing drugs or something? You either have a really bizarre definition of "musicianship" (stuff like Yngwie Malmsteen or something?) or you never actually listened to any Current 93 or other neofolk.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:47 pm 

musicianship n. knowledge, skill, and artistic sensitivity in performing music.

That's about as far from Yngwie Malmsteen as I can think of.

Moreover, the fact you take it as self-evident that there is much to get excited about in Tibet's compositions suggests to me that you haven't listened to a great deal or variety of music in general.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:58 am 

Odd then to hear none of that in Steven Stapleton's guitar playing... Like seriously odd.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:29 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Odd then to hear none of that in Steven Stapleton's guitar playing... Like seriously odd.

That is neofolk? A renaissance guitar melody and some rather precious amateur poetry? I can get that from youtube, without the Vogon poetry.

Think it's best to concede it's not my genre. Just don't see what it brings to the table that hasn't been done better before. There's a bit of creative spark on Island (no doubt courtesy of Hilmar Örn Hilmarsson ) and a few other albums, but not nearly enough for my taste.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:09 am 

Even if I do enjoy some Current 93, I have to agree with Expedience that quite a lot of stuff from them and similar groups is starkly clichéd, both lyrically and musically, but that said, Waldteufel absolutely deserves your attention:

Waldteufel - Das Wilde Heer vom Hörselberg
Waldteufel - Berchta und die Spinnerin

If you like In the Woods..., Nærvær are interesting, too:

Nærvær - Da Skogene Brant...
Nærvær - Dose Dager

I'm seriously not a neofolk expert, but these projects stood out to me from prominent artists like DiJ, Current 93, Sol Invictus, etc. Understandable if this stuff still does nothing to you, though.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:11 am 

Even most neofolk fans will tell you Current 93 is one of the hardest bands to get into, and if you are so intent on not acknowledging the existence of any other artist in the genre that you even ignore the second video linked in the post you quoted, it's definitely best to concede it's not your genre. It's a bit as if I said I couldn't get into death metal because Deicide is shit, which they are, but thankfully I love death metal because it's a vast and diverse genre and Deicide is just Deicide.

masqued
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:39 pm 

I'll admit that Current 93 is hard to get into, but I think that stems more from David's vocals/poetry than the music. My wife thinks the music is nice, but hates the pretentiousness of everything else. Funny though, I don't really enjoy much neofolk outside of Current 93, Death in June or Sol Invictus. Most of it seems to cover the same ground, and I guess this is where Current 93 stands out, as they/he doesn't seem to put out the same record twice. Finally, I think the apocalyptic folk of Current 93 is beautiful. Michael Cashmore's playing (guitar/piano) is beautiful and sorrowful at the same time. Just magnificent.

pfk505
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:21 am 

My two favourite neofolk releases of the past year are Wolcensmen's Songs From The Fyrgen and Horse Cult's Day Dreams and Night Mares. Anyone got any suggestions along these lines? I usually like more minimalist / traditional neofolk and less from the martial side, although I do enjoy some of it.

Nordic_Warhammer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:07 pm 

pfk505 wrote:
My two favourite neofolk releases of the past year are Wolcensmen's Songs From The Fyrgen and Horse Cult's Day Dreams and Night Mares. Anyone got any suggestions along these lines? I usually like more minimalist / traditional neofolk and less from the martial side, although I do enjoy some of it.

Well, my neofolk project completely lacks any electronic elements, and only one song includes any martial drumming, so maybe it will be to your liking: https://vorfahren.bandcamp.com/releases

Vorfahren: Neofolk from the Pacific Northwest https://vorfahren.bandcamp.com/releases

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:40 pm 

I am currently looking for artist similar to Faun, Blackmore's Night, Månegarm's folk ep ect. Basically either Celtic or Nordic Folk music, but with a little bit more upbeat than the usually folk stuff out there. Either Male or Female vocals are fine for me.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:42 am 

maidenpriestmanic wrote:
I am currently looking for artist similar to Faun, Blackmore's Night, Månegarm's folk ep ect. Basically either Celtic or Nordic Folk music, but with a little bit more upbeat than the usually folk stuff out there. Either Male or Female vocals are fine for me.

Check out Finntroll's "Visor Om Slutet".

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:59 am 

Come at me with your bleak Martial, in the vein of Sophia's Spite

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:12 am 

I'm looking for some good Martial Industrial, it can be ambient or neoclassical, but NOT folkish! Recs?

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:03 pm 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
Come at me with your bleak Martial, in the vein of Sophia's Spite

None?

pfk505
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:38 am 

Well this thread hasn't been bumped in a year, what has everyone been listening to in the various folk realms? Plenty of really exceptional releases over the last little while, including a few of my favourite albums of the year so far.

Fedrespor - Tid. A mix of acoustic nordic folk styles. Beautiful, masterful, saturated with grief. An absolutely powerful experience. Will be in my list at the end of the year.
Winterfylleth - The Hallowing of Heirdom. Dan Capp brings his influence to bear on Winterfylleth, a slightly more contemporary and pastoral version of his fantastic Wolcensmen album.
Nytt Land - OĐAL. Siberian ritual/traditional music in the vein of Wardruna. A truly excellent band with two incredible vocalists (male and female, throat singing and slavic styles).
Ulvesang - The Hunt. Canadian acoustic neofolk duo's sophomore album. Intricate guitar work, layered melodies, sparse chants. Incredibly moving and appealing.
Ivar Bjørnson & Einar Selvik - Hugsjá. Not exactly neofolk, this is essentially a prog album, but it borrows much from Wardruna and Enslaved alike and is highly enjoyable.
Meus - Miserere Mei Deus. Solo guitar acoustic neofolk from UK. This guy continues to improve and featured on some shows with Winterfylleth. Highly recommended, a debut LP beckons.
Wÿntër Àrvń - Au Devant Du Gouffre. Very interesting neofolk project from France, aligned with the Occitanian metal scene. Hope to hear more from this fellow.
Shaman's Dreams - Chapter 1: Dreams. Russian ethereal neofolk / ritual side project of Sleeping Woodland members. Very odd, very awesome.
Sangre De Muerdago - Noite. The legendary Spanish band's new album is a fine offering, highly enjoyable as usual.

Then of course there is a new Wardruna album on the near horizon.

So what have I missed? I don't devote as much time to folk genres as I'd like but I find so much therein to enjoy. Recommend some of your favourites from the last year or so!

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:49 am 

Come at me with your eeriest martial

Raindream
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:44 am 

Does anyone know some neofolk albums that predominantly feature electric guitar? I’ve heard C93’s electric stuff like Horsey, Lucifer Over London, etc etc. but was hoping for something a little more psychedelic and less Neil Young-y with the big distorted chords and whatnot.

pfk505
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:18 pm 

Bumping this thread to heap deserved praise on the new Wolcensmen album. Best piece of music I have heard this year without a doubt. Pure Magic.

Other good folk(ish) albums from 2019 to check out from Sowelu, Fedrespor, By The Spirits, Heilung, Ruumisto, Stille Volk, Keltika Hispanna, Grylle, Fields of Mildew and Runahild.

Please reply with your recommendations!

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:02 am 

Gonna try bumping this thread. Does anyone have good suggestions for acoustic, instrumental, and fairly ambient dark folk? I talked about what I've already listened to and enjoyed in this thread, since then I've also listened to Raflum's album Melodies of Forest and Springs.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7