Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
bug_man
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:26 am 

you should actually skip all those really bad modern martial industrial bands and check out early der blutharsch instead, who are only kind of bad. they're much closer to blood axis with the heavy use of sampling anyway.

DeathspellDelta
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:48 pm 

The Red Snifit wrote:
I've been trying to get into Martial Industrial, and I need some recommendations. I really liked Blood Axis's cover of Walked in Line, and I'm looking for more stuff like that.

Check out these tracks:
Von Thronstahl - Bellum, Sacrum Bellum

Der Blutharsch - track from When Did Wonderland End?

I don't know much about the whole martial industrial genre, but I find that it has little to offer other than the best known artists. Given the nature of the genre, maybe it just doesn't allow for much experimentation or depth. Anyway, Der Blutharsch's first few albums are awesome. Wappenbund and Les Joyaux de la Princesse are cool too.

nestee8
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:03 pm 

bug_man wrote:
nestee8 wrote:
Any neofolk bands that give a Lord of the Rings kind of vibe?

what kind of question is that, how the hell do we know what you think a lord of the rings vibe sounds like

Basically pagan folk and the like, giving a sound like the LOTR OST.

Opinionated_Metaller
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 10:25 pm 

Anyone know of any artists/groups that have a mid-paced, ritualistic feel that isn't so based on guitar strumming (picking/finger style is ok)? I'm looking for stuff like this:

No NS/fascist/neo-nazi artists, please.

Sepulchrave, when comparing bands to visual imagery wrote:
Silencer - bright yellow colour.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 7:47 pm 

The Red Snifit wrote:
I've been trying to get into Martial Industrial, and I need some recommendations. I really liked Blood Axis's cover of Walked in Line, and I'm looking for more stuff like that.

That song really fits the "miltary pop" substyle of martial industrial. Best thing to check out in that field is Der Blutharsch's Live at the Monastery album. It's with real instruments and no samples, otherwise it that same upbeat "party-marching" feel. Among the few things with a positive vibe I live to listen to.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

boduus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:49 pm 

New neofolk worth checking out?
Anything with a alpine feel?

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:16 am 

boduus wrote:
New neofolk worth checking out?
Anything with a alpine feel?

Not sure about the "alpine" request, but just lately I've been enjoying this new project called Wapentake, something to keep an eye on. Reminds me of Kveldssanger at times, and OTWATM at others.

https://eldritchlunarmiasma.bandcamp.co ... n-pastoral

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:01 am 

I find myself searching for good neofolk every now and then but that it often fails due to the vocals. Few genres provide as bad vocalists as this one does. I don't know what it is. The music can often be awesome but it is generally brought down or utterly ruined by bad vocals. So I'm looking for artists that has a competent vocalist. Something like Rome perhaps.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:45 pm 

InnesI wrote:
I find myself searching for good neofolk every now and then but that it often fails due to the vocals. Few genres provide as bad vocalists as this one does. I don't know what it is. The music can often be awesome but it is generally brought down or utterly ruined by bad vocals. So I'm looking for artists that has a competent vocalist. Something like Rome perhaps.

Try Ordo Rosarius Equilibrio.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:12 pm 

Unity wrote:
InnesI wrote:

Try Ordo Rosarius Equilibrio.

I have heard them before and listen to them from time to time. A little monotone in the long run but I agree that the vocals works quite well with their music. Absolutely not brining it down. Good suggestion!
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:50 pm 

InnesI wrote:

Tenhi, Wardruna and Empyrium have great vocals but I take it that you already knew them.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:32 pm 

Good news! Arditi's "Imposing Elitism" is finally available on CD!

http://www.discogs.com/Arditi-Imposing- ... se/7453191

http://www.equilibriummusic.com/

ashen_fire
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:12 pm 

Arnica - Iberian Ur folk

http://arnicaband.bandcamp.com

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:28 pm 

Folks, I already know a considerable amount of Martial Industrial artists, so I'm looking for something cool that I haven't heard. No folky stuff please. :)

WillyB
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:47 pm 

Looking for some neofolk/'dark folk' type stuff from non-political artists. Love the genre but keep running into a lot of ns artists and that's not my thing at all. Something thats more straight folky stuff, not too much on the industrial side of things(though i wouldn't be against recs for that genre as well) as long as they aren't really political or into any ns shit.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:43 am 

Huh? I'd say like 95% of artists in the genre are non-political. That's an extremely broad request, we could basically just list the entire genre.

WillyB
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:20 am 

maybe I just always end up in the wrong place because I keep stumbling upon not so good people.

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:43 pm 

I've been playing mandolin for a few months now and I like to try to play along songs. I'm a fan of Death in June so obviously I went there first, then I discovered dark folk and Tenhi, Neun Welt and Vàli became my go to bands to play along, mostly because it sounds more folk'y than neofolk. So, I'm here to ask if you guys can rec me any dark/martial/neo folk with mandolin in it. Songs that include a fiddle usually go well with a mandolin, but I only came across few songs with mandolins in it.
I refuse to give metalsucks any web traffic.

projectfear22
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:03 am 

Evoken wrote:

anything similar to this but with some growly uptoned vocals or such?

_Valis
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:14 am 

I can't stop listening to Vindensang these days, and a lack of anything atmospherically similar is driving me mental.

What I'm looking for is highly dark ambient influenced neofolk that gives off a strong deep space vibe (as opposed to a more earthy or "foresty" kind of atmosphere). Anyone know of anything like this, aside from Vindensang?

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:51 am 

I am looking for Martial Industrial that's similar to this:

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:47 am 

Some Triarii songs sound like that. Some Predella Avant songs sound even more like that.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:44 pm 

Just throwing this out there for other fans of neofolk, but I stumbled across Ulvesang the other night. Pretty solid neofolk from Canada that should appeal to fans of Tenhi, early October Falls and Kveldssanger-era Ulver.

https://ulvesang.bandcamp.com/

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:48 am 

Such a waste that most neofolk bands have vocals that are so cringeworthy.

Death in June and Rome are one of the few I really like. King Dude as well but that depends what song.

Sauron The Hippy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:35 am 

nestee8 wrote:
Any neofolk bands that give a Lord of the Rings kind of vibe?

Cover of a Led Zeppelin song about LOTR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBVPqn90Z9A

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:12 am 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:

Death in June and Rome are one of the few I really like. King Dude as well but that depends what song.

So give me them recommendations!

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:46 am 

So give me them criteria by which you differentiate between cringeworth vocals and vocals you like!

I assume you are referring to the overly theatrical singing of Sol Invictus, Current 93 and Fire + Ice. In that case, just go for stuff that sticks to traditional singing such as Sonne Hagal.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:58 pm 

Looking for martial industrial with a more quirky, experimental edge rather than a Wagnerian, "classical" one. Stuff like Laibach from the S/T until Opus Dei, early Parzival/Stiff Miners, Skrol, and maybe like a few Arditi songs that are less conventional are what I'm looking for. Symphonic martial with not much samples, Triarii-style is a big no-no for me.

Last edited by Sepulchrave on Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
CardsOfWar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:15 am 

InnesI wrote:

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:

I certainly know what you mean, so many neofolk artists just end up sounding like a shit version of The Pogues. By the same token, though, the genre has plenty of uniquely brilliant vocalists. Douglas Pearce and David Tibet are the obvious ones, they both have totally unconventional but totally fitting vocal styles. Anyway, RECS:

Sonne Hagal. Their recent album Ockerwasser has a similar chilly and apathetic vibe to Death in June's most minimal material, but they're brilliant lyricists and it's one of the best albums of 2014.

Cult of Youth. These guys borrow as much from apocalyptic post-punk as they do neofolk. The vocals are pretty bizarre, but they fit the impending doom vibe of the music perfectly

Sol Invictus. Tony Wakeford sounds like a small child, and his various speech impediments annoyed the shit out of me at first, but give it some time. Again, they're appropriate to the music.

Sopor Aeternus and the Ensemble of Shadows. We're starting to veer away from neofolk here, but it's similar musical territory and the vocals are bloody brilliant.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:03 am 

CardsOfWar wrote:
InnesI wrote:

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:

I certainly know what you mean, so many neofolk artists just end up sounding like a shit version of The Pogues. By the same token, though, the genre has plenty of uniquely brilliant vocalists. Douglas Pearce and David Tibet are the obvious ones, they both have totally unconventional but totally fitting vocal styles. Anyway, RECS:

Sonne Hagal. Their recent album Ockerwasser has a similar chilly and apathetic vibe to Death in June's most minimal material, but they're brilliant lyricists and it's one of the best albums of 2014.

Cult of Youth. These guys borrow as much from apocalyptic post-punk as they do neofolk. The vocals are pretty bizarre, but they fit the impending doom vibe of the music perfectly

Sol Invictus. Tony Wakeford sounds like a small child, and his various speech impediments annoyed the shit out of me at first, but give it some time. Again, they're appropriate to the music.

Sopor Aeternus and the Ensemble of Shadows. We're starting to veer away from neofolk here, but it's similar musical territory and the vocals are bloody brilliant.

Know and love those

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:08 am 

Sepulchrave wrote:
Looking for martial industrial with a more quirky, experimental edge rather than a Wagnerian, "classical" one. Stuff like Laibach from the S/T until Opus Dei, early Parzival/Stiff Miners, Skrol, and maybe like a few Arditi songs that are less conventional are what I'm looking for. Symphonic martial with not much samples, Triarii-style is a big no-no for me.

The absolute opposite of Triarii-style and the best continuation of Laibach's early experiments is of course Turbund Sturmwerk, especially their self-titled second album. Another obvious candidate is Luftwaffe, which is martial industrial that is completely unlike all other martial industrial. One of my all time favourite bands. The first two Allerseelen albums Gotos=Kalanda and Sturmlieder might suit your needs as well.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:30 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Sepulchrave wrote:

The absolute opposite of Triarii-style and the best continuation of Laibach's early experiments is of course Turbund Sturmwerk, especially their self-titled second album. Another obvious candidate is Luftwaffe, which is martial industrial that is completely unlike all other martial industrial. One of my all time favourite bands. The first two Allerseelen albums Gotos=Kalanda and Sturmlieder might suit your needs as well.

This is an excellent post. I'm digging this Turbund Sturmwerk, indeed very much like Laibach but still possessing an identity of its own. So dark. I shall take a peek at Luftwaffe and Allerseelen afterwards! Thank you

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:53 am 

Sepulchrave wrote:
This is an excellent post. I'm digging this Turbund Sturmwerk, indeed very much like Laibach but still possessing an identity of its own. So dark. I shall take a peek at Luftwaffe and Allerseelen afterwards! Thank you

True!

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:20 pm 

Is there any neofolk with Jethro Tull kind of flutes? Unlike my metal requests I don't really care if it's an old band or a new one, what I do care about, however, is that I've long discovered that neofolk only works with English lyrics for me.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 9:34 am 

Roadburn 2016 was magical.

Please recommend songs like this, with vocals like this.

Secret Glory
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:28 pm 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:

So give me them recommendations!

This may be a bit too late but I really like the vocals on Nature and Organisation's first album - and the rest of the album too. In fact, its one of my all-time favorites of any genre. Vocals by David Tibet, Rose McDowall and Douglas Pearce. In Current 93 I find that David Tibet's vocals are kind of hit and miss, but his performance in Nature and Organisation may be his most compelling. His vocals in this particular song gives me chills everytime:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHTw2jY3GaE

I gush over anything with Rose McDowall's sweet vocals. Smooth as silk.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKRl65sF1Wg

Backworld also have some nice vocals:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFJyhlh_xxc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubNA9Vwel0s

B'eirth of In Gowan Ring has a very distinct voice, and no doubt is he a talented vocalist. Perhaps the most hippy of the neofolk artists, but I love them all the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BsAZc3RAW4

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:48 pm 

Will check!

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:09 pm 

Careful, the 100% complete absence of testosterone in Backworld and In Gowan Ring vocals might be difficult for a metal fan, unless you are into post-metal. Personally I couldn't handle either group.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:54 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Careful, the 100% complete absence of testosterone in Backworld and In Gowan Ring vocals might be difficult for a metal fan, unless you are into post-metal. Personally I couldn't handle either group.

Haha. Yeah, not for me indeed!

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:19 pm 

As opposed to Current 93? :P

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next