Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:36 pm 

Alright, I wasn't aware KingSpooky had given you permission to unassing old reports, Witcher.

Anyways, you're not being completely honest about "unassigning reports which were assigned by mistake". I don't doubt you unassigned those, but you also unassigned reports from active, working users as well. That's the reason why I told you to stop immediately. And yes, I do think that unassigning reports from active users (as opposed to reports assigned by mistake) is rude and wrong. So let me rephrase... Stop unassigning reports from active users (unless you ask first and get confirmation that the users aren't working on the reports), and pretty please with sugar on top focus only on those reports you are totally sure were assigned by mistake.

Witcher wrote:
I gues, that's what you get for trying to help.

This kind of comments though... Stuff like this really grinds my gears. Please refrain from playing victim.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:08 am 

If you notice , King spooky was not spekig only about rreports, which were assigned by mistake , but also about reports , which "are on the bckburner and pretty much forgotten aboutt, namely reports from 2019 and 20200, for which is clear that the uses do not work on them anymore. I have mentimentioned, that I have also unassigned these.
Apparently, yoI cannot expect a complete apology form yoyou, you must aladd something, which makes you seemingly in rifght there. and WWhat's rude about unassigning reports, which were forgotten by persons, who originally assigned them and which was not worked on by years, exexspecially when a moderator asked exactly for t, at least in my understand of that part of spooky's posthat?ways

Last edited by Witcher on Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:51 am 

KingSpooky wrote:
Originally I wrote the post referring to people that have reports assigned to them, if they'd like to they can put them back into the queue, since we've been getting caught up and finally got below 100. I noticed you'd started unassigning some, and actually thought that would be helpful and did so with several as well (specifically reports that were put in 6 months ago that weren't assigned to moderators) - actually, I just got done solving a bunch of them and thought of it as being helpful rather than rude - different for how anybody would look at it though, I guess. Just glad to see the new and old reports down so much over the last week. Sorry for the miscommunication.
Thank you for your response, Spooky. Yes, I was unassigning those old reportts for them to be dealt with in the report ququeue. It was my undestanding of your sentence "reports , that are on the backburner and forgotten about, that you mean old reports, which were forgotten by their original assigners and were not worked on for yeras.
It appeared quite logical, since someone, whoc has once comepletely forgotten about being assiggned to a report, can't unassngn them, except , when he wold accidently wanser in this thread and read your message or or be able to ttelepatically get your message or smetiing:smile:.
Thanks again for your understading.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:32 am 

It's rude to unassign others' reports, which are not done in error, because the person who assigned themselves to it might be doing additional research or waiting on something and that may not be obvious in the report itself. You don't know unless you ask. Don't tell me you wouldn't be rattled if someone took over an assignment you were doing (or in this case, just removed you) without actually talking to you first.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:14 pm 

Yes, but in case of reports, that are two or three years old, the chchance, that theire is additonal work in play, is rather slim. Again, I was going out from the wording" if the rreport is on the backburner or forgottenabout, fel free to unassign them. bI undestand, that unaassigning a report, which the pperson still is working on, caould be ununfunfair to the,, but once again, as I understood the message, that was not supposed beto be the case with reports with form 2019., 2018 and 2020.
But I undunderstand, that a lot of yousimply do not understand my arguments, or brush them quckly off without musch aftertgthought , so further arguing has no sense.
Spooky fifound what I was doing actually helpful, so that's enough for me.
I would not unassgin those, reports, which was not done in error, if ti was not for his message, and I understood it as described above.

KingSpooky
The Man, The Machine, The Legend

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:31 pm 

Again, sorry for the miscommunication in my post. I should have considered that some people wouldn't like for their assigned report(s) to be taken care of from where they were at, and apologize as well if I've overstepped a boundary of respect for unassigning some - definitely not implying that the person it had been assigned to isn't taking care of it properly, etc. but offering some additional assistance. Through these posts I've learned that it could be taken the wrong way, and hopefully that isn't how anyone felt about the ones that I unassigned. I'd just been working to get the number down and to get some of the older ones off of our backs. It was a matter of misunderstanding, I think - apologies for my part in that. I won't unassign anyone's reports in the future, and hopefully the state that the report queue is now in will help to make up for possible grievances. While the original intended message of my post was meant for the people that currently have reports assigned to them specifically, I can see how it could also be read in the way that Witcher did. The reason I didn't say anything upon noticing the reports being changed to unassigned and involving myself in the task as well at that point was with the thought of catching up in mind, and making corrections on pages where they had been requested by a third party. Would probably be best to go forward with camaraderie from here, taking the last posts into consideration. : )

Planetary_Misfortune
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:25 am 

Ok, I am back in "the fray" as I recently moved in with my partner and didn't have much free-time. I will try and tackle this queue to the best of my abilities over the coming days.

Dr_Zed
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:13 am 

Am I OK if I ask for a MOD to review a Report I was working on that I thought I could not fix, yet a few minutes later I somehow fixed it so I cliced resolved?

Planetary_Misfortune
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:19 am 

Managed to knock about 90 entries out of the queue - only for them to repopulate almost as fast. Sometimes I forget how huge the metal world is until I work the queue.

KingSpooky

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:28 pm 

Nice work.

EpicDismemberment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:04 am 

Hi, as some of you may have noticed the number has once again hit the 1200 level and continued to increase after being reduced to the lowest level of around 1120 within the last couple of days from more than 1,400 over the past two weeks (thanks to all hard-working users, knights and mods). I'm sure that with this frightening increasing trend, and without more help, it will reach the same level again in near future.

Let's kill the number until it is well below 1,000, that would be our target for this very moment, with the ultimate goal of being able to keep the queue under control (ideally, below a hundred). I know we can do this.

Appreciate all the help!

eviluus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:27 am 

EpicDismemberment wrote:
Hi, as some of you may have noticed the number has once again hit the 1200 level and continued to increase after being reduced to the lowest level of around 1120 within the last couple of days from more than 1,400 over the past two weeks (thanks to all hard-working users, knights and mods). I'm sure that with this frightening increasing trend, and without more help, it will reach the same level again in near future.

Let's kill the number until it is well below 1,000, that would be our target for this very moment, with the ultimate goal of being able to keep the queue under control (ideally, below a hundred). I know we can do this.

Appreciate all the help!

Yeah, that's what I wrote in "Wrongdoers, pointwhorers" thread:

Is there anything, that can be done with a huge backlog in reports? The list is still over 1200 entries. While going through them I found some, that shouldn't be there. I mean, some users applied changes, but never referred to reports marking them as resolved. I marked some of them as resolved personally, but I'm not able to go through the whole list, and I'm sure, that there are much more. In my opinion it may be even 10% from total number of open reports. And they flood the list...

What I meant is, that perhaps there should be some notification for the user, who works on some updates included in a report? It's not that time consuming to mark the report as resolved, and I really can't understand, why it is recently ignored. Users get points for solving them, so I can't see the reason to not change their statuses after solving. And I agree with the words written earlier in this thread, that this huge number of opened reports is discouraging.

Planetary_Misfortune
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:54 am 

Smashed out near 150-200 reports. A lot of "wrong music genre" entries I cannot touch though.

KingSpooky

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:59 am 

That's awesome!

Planetary_Misfortune
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:01 pm 

The main reason I can't clear more is because a lot of them I simply don't know how to handle or don't have the rank yet. But I will add additional info if I can to help.

GraveWish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:30 am 

I will point out the problem of the reports queue, well at least some of them. I will go from a personal experience, and I think many have the same feeling. Everytime I decide to look to the reports in the queue I feel myself a bit "chained". Sometimes I need to tag someone for a bit of extra information and I can't. Why limiting the tag option to certain ranks? It's supposed to be a teamwork. Other times I stumble upon basic reports like removing pictures, artists, changing the parent entry, removing a release etc. That again are limited to certain ranks. What's the point? The moderators have a lot to deal with already, why not allow users to do those basic changes? Highly ranked users already showed that they are active and willing to help why not give them the opportunity to do so? To sum it up, everytime I look to the reports queue I give up and deliberately decide to simply ignore it.

KingSpooky

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 2:53 pm 

Yeah, the ability for users of a certain rank to be able to tag each other would be helpful (and for more to be able to replace or delete photos). I think the option for 'metal demons' to request attention from users was talked about before, and don't recall there being much or any objection to it. There was also a good idea that Zodijackyl had a while ago, to separate reports that are able to be taken care of vs. ones that are awaiting a user response, or communication back from someone. Then the same report that nothing can currently be done with isn't opened up and read over repeatedly in the meantime. The number seems to be rising a lot recently - would be cool to give something a try, at least to see if it makes a difference. For users that are 'regulars', who put in reports and/or submit a lot of bands, it would be really helpful if you solved a few, to give that amount of time back to the site. They can be sorted by type of report, and some can be pretty easy. Questions about how to deal with others could be answered in the 'site work' area of Discord, or you could post here, or send private messages to a moderator.
Just to have a little bit more help than usual from a lot of people is the best way that we could catch up. If 30 people did 7 more reports than they usually do in a day for a week straight, the excess 1,450 present now could be gone. At the moment, just to open up the active reports it looks like an overwhelming mess. I'll try to do more than usual - if anyone else can as well, it would be much appreciated!

Planetary_Misfortune
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 4:36 pm 

Consider me in!

KingSpooky

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 8:25 pm 

cmg92 wrote:
Consider me in!

That's good news. We're down 75 from 3 days ago - definitely making some progress. 186 (!) of them are wrong genre reports, so if any moderators feel like doing a few here and there it would help out a lot.

Planetary_Misfortune
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 5:46 am 

If I may speak quite frankly and respectfully; my main observation of the report queue is that a very large chunk of reports are pending mod attention, and often for a long time. As mods are often busy and have their own lives, is there any sort of system to do something after a certain amount of time to progress these reports?

I feel like literal shit everytime I flag a report for a mods attention, knowing there's already a sizeable pool and gestation period of such requiring advanced attention.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 8:56 pm 

I suppose I'm here to unintentionally echo cmg92's statement above: What exactly are we to do with all of these reports waiting for Moderator attention? We have reports sitting at 10 months old at the extreme end of the scale, with hundreds more waiting behind them, and that's just for the wrong genre category, which knights can't even touch.

I've followed Diahmea's old standard of closing out reports with no samples or proof by telling the user to file again with proper evidence, but that only clears so many of these reports out.

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

KingSpooky

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 11:19 am 

There were a few ideas suggested today in Discord. Not sure how possible the 2 that I thought of would be to implement - having there be a limit to the number or reports a user can put in at a time once the backlog reaches a certain #, in the interest of getting older ones taken care of and possibly being more discerning about what are important enough issues to add to the queue, and having there be more of a reason to take care of the issue yourself... and when filling out a report, for there to be something that senses what is typed in so that the mass number of reports with insufficient proof wouldn't enter the queue at all. Paganius had a good idea about there being an alert sent when someone responds to a report that had been awaiting a response. With how many there are at the moment, forgetting about one and having it get lost in the shuffle would be very possible without an alert of some kind.
There were a lot of other ideas brought up within this thread in earlier posts. Would be great to try out one or more of them. With the number of bands growing every day, to keep up there should occasionally be something tried and then put in place so that reports aren't in the state they've been in for the last several months. For the people who work on them and put an effort into keeping them from becoming 'overgrown', it can be frustrating. I'm going to start trying to do more per day, but am also pretty busy with the band queue, research thread, adding and looking into unlisted bands that come to my attention, etc.
There were a couple of users that became moderators recently, and some Demons that became Knights. Hopefully they and others who are able to take on some of the reports that not everyone can will choose to do so. Some of it is literally just being willing to put in the time/effort to keep the site working effectively, even if the tasks are occasionally unpleasant. How bad could it be to invest a half hour per day on site maintenance if you use it regularly, though? Everyone has something different going on, and some people are busier than others. It is certain, though that if more people decide to care and do their part we won't have these kind of back-ups be the norm.

Planetary_Misfortune
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 11:27 am 

Appreciated and I'll try to work harder too. I'm not at home much this month as I'm having a good health month and going to gigs again, at last.

The only idea I had was for assigned reports to auto notify a user if they've been assigned to them for over x amount of time, but I'm not sure if technically and logistically viable.

eviluus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 8:00 am 

I will repeat, what I said a while ago - there is still a lot of reports opened, which are in fact handled and resolved, but people working on them didn't refer to reports per se. And they also flood the list.

Perhaps a solution can be implemented --> when someone starts updating the page of the band/release/artist/label and there are currently some reports opened, there should be a notification popping out informing the user about report, so they can refer to it.

KingSpooky

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 5:15 pm 

Reports are down over 400 from where they were about 30 hours ago. Awesome job, to those who have been working on them !!! Eviluus, a lot of ideas were suggested here already. If you have another, feel free to type it out. There are only a few people who are able to put those into place and decide that they should be brought into common practice, though. The reports just have to be dealt with head on rather than discussing any other plan of approach, the way I see it. If they're already complete, that makes it easy to close out. If we get/stay caught up, such problems should no longer persist.

(edit, 9:30 p.m. - now down to triple digits)

eviluus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 5:41 am 

KingSpooky: Actually I was thinking about limits in the report queue - something similar to what we have in new bands addition queue. I guess 1000 reports would be enough.

I was also thinking about automatic closure of reports, which are 1-year old. I know, that sometimes they need deeper investigation, but if not handled within a year, they are not the cases of most urgency. Plus, they can be opened again the future.

And I don't know, what could be done with reports submitted by visitors (non-registered users). Very often the reports are submitted, and submitters disappear.

KingSpooky

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 9:09 am 

Thanks for the suggestions, Eviluus - definitely something to keep in mind as a possibility.

Though the "re-releases/other versions" type of reports are shown in red as a report type that requires moderator attention, all users can do these. The red moderator designation for them may be removed in the near future (something that's being talked about), but feel free to work on them in the meantime. There are only 24 reports now that require moderator attention after subtracting those, and we're down to just over 900 unassigned in total. Really great to see that number sinking the way it has been, and to get some old issues cleaned up, and a lot of band pages up-to-date.

eviluus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 11:17 am 

I'm trying to find all those, that are already handled but still opened + those in a need for merging. But I can't spend too much time on it, because I'm busy with my distro.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 9:18 pm 

KingSpooky wrote:
Though the "re-releases/other versions" type of reports are shown in red as a report type that requires moderator attention, all users can do these. The red moderator designation for them may be removed in the near future (something that's being talked about), but feel free to work on them in the meantime. There are only 24 reports now that require moderator attention after subtracting those, and we're down to just over 900 unassigned in total. Really great to see that number sinking the way it has been, and to get some old issues cleaned up, and a lot of band pages up-to-date.

And they're now no longer automatically flagged for mods.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

KingSpooky

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:36 am 

The reports are looking a lot better lately - keeping steady at 650-670, so down well over half of where they had been at with the push that we gave them a couple weeks ago. If anyone doesn't mind doing one or two more than you might usually do, there could be some more damage done to that number. Thanks for the killer efforts with reports.

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:59 pm 

KingSpooky wrote:
The reports are looking a lot better lately - keeping steady at 650-670, so down well over half of where they had been at with the push that we gave them a couple weeks ago. If anyone doesn't mind doing one or two more than you might usually do, there could be some more damage done to that number. Thanks for the killer efforts with reports.

I've been trying to be more active with the reports queue than I had been.

KingSpooky

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:20 pm 

TheGrimWombat wrote:

Awesome! Same here. If they got to under 100 and we could hold the number there it would be great - less of a chance that something important ends up getting lost in the shuffle of reports and ends up sitting dormant for a number of months. Just getting to where it is now is pretty good though, considering how it looked half a month ago.

(edit) Just checked it out, and we put a pretty good dent in it today already - it's down about 30 from this morning.

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:35 am 

KingSpooky wrote:
TheGrimWombat wrote:

Awesome! Same here. If they got to under 100 and we could hold the number there it would be great - less of a chance that something important ends up getting lost in the shuffle of reports and ends up sitting dormant for a number of months. Just getting to where it is now is pretty good though, considering how it looked half a month ago.

(edit) Just checked it out, and we put a pretty good dent in it today already - it's down about 30 from this morning.

Spent some more time on it. Wish I could resolve more reports but, as usual, lots of people do not provide evidence. Tried to bang out the re-reports for the same issues etc. We're below 600.

KingSpooky

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:00 pm 

Reports now below 500. Amazing job to those that have been helping out on this!

KingSpooky

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:52 pm 

Just an idea for keeping the main report queue clean that could help now and in the long term - if you request a user's attention and are keeping the report open, it would be helpful if you also assign the report to yourself, as there won't be any action that can be taken until we hear back, and the report might end up getting opened multiple times by different users to see that same thing (ends up being a waste of time to some, and more clutter to 'step over' in there). A good way to keep an eye on the ones reserved to you is to check the date of latest update where they are listed in 'my reports' - to see if a response has arrived since you last checked. If ample proof isn't present in a report and you're able to summon the user's attention (they have a sign-in name and aren't listed as 'visitor', and you are a knight or moderator), just close the report out and ask for them to provide proper evidence, which is their responsibility, in a new report. Keep up the great work, and I'll try to do the same.

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:43 pm 

Heard.

KingSpooky

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:49 am 

Now under 300 unassigned remaining in queue. This is awesome, guys. At this rate we could get caught up in a few more days.

(less than 8 hours later): under 200.

(less than 10 hours later): 136 (?!!?)

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:02 pm 

Good work, everyone!

KingSpooky

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:48 pm 

Reports have been looking really good for the last couple of weeks, and lately have been able to be dealt with more quickly and effectively. Unassigned reports just jumped over 200 today, though (partially due to someone who had a lot of them reserved dumping back into the unassigned queue). Assigned reports are now down substantially, to 71. If you have any reserved and don't plan on taking care of them anytime soon and aren't in the middle of solving the issue, please set them back to unassigned so that these edits/potential updates don't sit on the backburner for long periods of time unnecessarily. If anyone has a chance to do a few extra reports, just so that we can keep the number down and avoid that queue becoming a headache again, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all of the good work in there.

MDL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:02 pm 

I have been very busy lately and didn't do much work on the report queue, but now, I've cleaned up a bunch of them.

I have some assigned reports awaiting for a response, by the bands I've contacted, or the users who have been checked to verify the report, unsure if they've already read the message or not.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next