Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Rasc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:18 am 

With this new system, how should we add albums that were re-released together, such as Šturm releasing Ultra and Aryjski Nature together?

There are widelier recognised examples, but I was editing Ultra right now, so...

NobbyNobbs
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:38 pm 

Shall we add catalogue numbers of distributers like e.g. SPV or IRS? For example: Pyracanda - Two Sides of a Coin has the No Remorse Records number NRR 1010, regardless of the format. But the distributer number differs for LP/CD/MC.

DarkPessimisticSoul
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:17 pm 

I haven't been able to delete tracks several times and I've had to send reports. I don't know if it's a bug or if I'm doing something wrong...

Thanks!

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:11 pm 

Just ran into another odd situation, I'm updating Bewitched from Chile http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Bewitched/416 and if you try to add additional versions it comes up with a note about a bootleg of the Nemesis and Doomed demos by Cruel Wretch Records. Now discogs has a listing for said bootleg but it is on the same tape not two different tapes, http://www.discogs.com/Bewitched-Doomed ... se/3934193. So now that we can add unofficial versions how should this one be added?

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

ben_wrangle
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:18 pm 

Well, I was trying to add an "other version" for Warbringer's "War Withou End"... But after I've saved it, I realized that something was wrong with my browser, since it didn't let me select the option "bonus track" and exclude the option "instrumental."

Here it is the crap I did and sorry for that... http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Wa ... End/421973

I think would be good to exclude if you want!

Don't worry, I won't try to it again...

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:48 pm 

So it's a bonus track but not an instrumental track right? And don't worry about making mistakes, I've made plenty this last week doing the new updates. Just file a report and someone with enough rank will fix it for you. :)

Azmodes wrote:

ben_wrangle
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:48 pm 

Erosion of Humanity wrote:
So it's a bonus track but not an instrumental track right?

That's right!

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:50 am 

Ok, no big deal, it's fine now. Like I said though just file a report if you mess something up and someone will fix it. Also just FYI you don't need to put an asterisk * in the track title for bonus tracks, if the box is checked the site automatically adds one.

Azmodes wrote:

herra_af_lik
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:43 pm 

I was going through my albums and I noticed that I have a CD that has two different Catalog ID's. One from each of the Record labels that put this split out. It's like each band got its own Catalog ID for the release. What should happen?

theunrelentingattack
Not yet ready for a custom title

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:14 pm 

Catalog IDs: Xxx002/zzz012

In the additional notes, if not already there list "Co-released by xxxx"

herra_af_lik
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:30 pm 

Thanks!

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:50 pm 

Is it intentional that the update of cover art for a parent release affects the cover art for any children created from it? Added the actual cassette artwork to this release and it was automatically added to this child release for the re-issue.

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:10 pm 

I've skipped reading this thread since page 2, so apologies in advance if this has been mentioned before...

I added Dawn of Eternity's digital version and the add notes ("All songs and lyrics written by Dawn of Eternity.") did not transfer from the digipak. even when I went back to copy/paste it, it wouldn't "save" it.

:-/ ?

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:53 pm 

That's by design, if a child entry features the same additional notes as the parent it just omits it altogether. Through this, the additional notes for child entries should only represent information unique to that exact pressing/variant. You shouldn't be copying/pasting the additional notes into every child version - it isn't necessary. This helps keep everything cleaner, more streamlined, and less cluttered.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:35 pm 

thanks for your reply :) I get that there's no need to have all the add notes from the "old version" there, but songwriting credits or videos, for.ex? (I'm asking, not arguing)

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:49 pm 

aloof wrote:
thanks for your reply :) I get that there's no need to have all the add notes from the "old version" there, but songwriting credits or videos, for.ex? (I'm asking, not arguing)

Recording information automatically carries over, so just make sure everything is good to go on the parent. I only mention music videos in the parent as well (under additional notes). An example:

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ov ... .F.O./1917
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:30 am 

Could one of y'all post the steps to changing an album title but keeping it under the same parent release. I thought I had id figured out but apparently I do not.

Azmodes wrote:

Cursarion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:14 am 

1. Add another version
2. Change release title
3. Submit
4. Report it for moderator to hide the separate listing

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:32 pm 

Ahhh ok thanks. I thought that I had done something wrong and that's why it came up as a separate version.

Azmodes wrote:

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:45 pm 

^In case you missed it, this post of mine explains how the separate listing thing works. :)

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:49 pm 

Yeah I guess I did miss that one, probably because it's such a rare thing I just skimmed it and didn't actually interpret it.

Azmodes wrote:

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:30 pm 

Why is there no option to add links to an artist profile when creating a new version of an album?

EDIT: "Limited to 200 copies, first 100 on professionally manufactured cassettes with on body print and program repeating on both sides." Does something like this warrant two separate entries?

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:32 pm 

Had do you add a reissue with two full length like what Roadrunner did with Mercyful Fate, King Diamond, Pestilence etc?

untappd: patrick_g

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:42 pm 

He means the Two from The Vault series. I've just been adding it to the additional notes of the parent entries of each album...

Last.fm

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:38 am 

I'm currently trying to add a 3CD boxed set to my Killwhitneydead draft, and I added the first two discs just fine, but now the "Add 1 disc" button (which is directly below the first disc's tracklist) is adding tracks instead of discs.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:59 am 

That's odd, I've never had that problem before. On a similar note, is there any way to expand the drag box option for vinyl/cassette to include secondary albums. In other words, can you make it so if you're updating a double lp instead of adding the tracks to the second and deleting them from the first you can just drag disc two to the appropriate place. I realize it may be far too much work to make this happen especially since it's not very often the situation even comes up but I still thought I'd ask.

Edit: never mind, I'm just daft and didn't realize that you could drag the tracks to the second disc. Learn something new everyday.

Azmodes wrote:

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:46 am 

this sort of relates to a previous post I made about add notes in other versions... take Solstice's last EP, for.ex. The original add notes included recording info that was not transferred over to the other versions, as it was "the same". I moved it to the initial release's rec info, and added some more add notes... do I have to copy paste both in the other versions now? should I?

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:14 am 

The recording info should transfer and show up on all versions even if it is the same.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:22 am 

...and it did, automatically, once I moved it to the rec info field. wow. what kind of sorcery is this?

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:47 pm 

If you looky to the right of the box there's that little white box with a green line in it, the same thing that's next to the songs, it (to my lamen understanding) toggles whether or not the info in the box will transfer through to the additional versions. But then again half the time the additional notes field transfers as well, also the identifiers field transfers, which honestly I wish that one wouldn't since it changes for every version.

Azmodes wrote:

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:01 am 

MutantClannfear wrote:
I'm currently trying to add a 3CD boxed set to my Killwhitneydead draft, and I added the first two discs just fine, but now the "Add 1 disc" button (which is directly below the first disc's tracklist) is adding tracks instead of discs.

Using boxed sets wrong, maybe? viewtopic.php?p=2416757#p2416757

That's odd, I've never had that problem before. On a similar note, is there any way to expand the drag box option for vinyl/cassette to include secondary albums. In other words, can you make it so if you're updating a double lp instead of adding the tracks to the second and deleting them from the first you can just drag disc two to the appropriate place. I realize it may be far too much work to make this happen especially since it's not very often the situation even comes up but I still thought I'd ask.

Edit: never mind, I'm just daft and didn't realize that you could drag the tracks to the second disc. Learn something new everyday.

You can also drag discs, if that's what you were asking for...

If you looky to the right of the box there's that little white box with a green line in it, the same thing that's next to the songs, it (to my lamen understanding) toggles whether or not the info in the box will transfer through to the additional versions. But then again half the time the additional notes field transfers as well, also the identifiers field transfers, which honestly I wish that one wouldn't since it changes for every version.

Well, that icon means the field's value is inherited from the parent, so that if you leave it as is, when the parent's value changes, that will also be reflected in all its children that inherit it. If you change an inherited value in one child though, then it will have its own value and will ignore the parent for that field. The additional notes and identifiers are not inherited fields (changes made to those fields in the parent will not carry over), but when you're adding a version, the whole form is initially filled with the parent's values so you need to clear those fields if you don't want to keep those notes for that version.

Uh, that explanation was probably completely unclear...

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:28 am 

HellBlazer wrote:
MutantClannfear wrote:

Using boxed sets wrong, maybe? viewtopic.php?p=2416757#p2416757

:durr: Yep, that'd be it. I should know better than that by now, sorry... Better go clean it up.

EDIT: It does make me wonder, though, why is there even an option to add a second "disc" to a boxed set release?

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:53 am 

MutantClannfear wrote:
EDIT: It does make me wonder, though, why is there even an option to add a second "disc" to a boxed set release?

Hmm, there shouldn't be in theory, or at least the "add disc" button should replace the usual "add track"... Did you maybe change it to a boxed set while in the middle of adding discs?

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:03 am 

Hmm, yeah, that could be what happened. I might have originally listed it as a compilation, then changed it to a boxed set sometime later after I edited it a bit. That would explain why I wasn't able to add another "disc" to the album entry, because there's apparently no option to do so with boxed sets. (I was wondering why both the "add track" button and the "add disc" button said "add disc" while editing it...) Alrighty, problem solved then. :)

Oh, and another question: am I supposed to not be able to add additional versions of an album to my band drafts?

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:37 am 

Attention everyone, I just pushed online an update that allows setting the RPM and vinyl size separately for each disc. The format field is now also always in the tracklisting because, with these added per-disc fields, it seemed to make more sense this way. Please report any issues with that here.

MutantClannfear wrote:
Oh, and another question: am I supposed to not be able to add additional versions of an album to my band drafts?

Oh, hmm yeah, I guess I didn't think about that... I'll fix that later.

Insidiae
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:08 am 

When I try to select vinyl size and save it, the following message appears:

Quote:
Please select a format for each component.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:02 pm 

HellBlazer wrote:

You can also drag discs, if that's what you were asking for...

Well, that icon means the field's value is inherited from the parent, so that if you leave it as is, when the parent's value changes, that will also be reflected in all its children that inherit it. If you change an inherited value in one child though, then it will have its own value and will ignore the parent for that field. The additional notes and identifiers are not inherited fields (changes made to those fields in the parent will not carry over), but when you're adding a version, the whole form is initially filled with the parent's values so you need to clear those fields if you don't want to keep those notes for that version.

Uh, that explanation was probably completely unclear...

That's weird because it never let me drag the disc before, doesn't really matter since I figured out that the songs can be dragged to the different discs. Also that explanation is pretty clear and makes sense to me, save for one thing: when adding child versions all changes made to the previous version seem to be carrying over whether they're supposed to or not. Unless I'm just completely misunderstanding you here (which is probably the case) but if I hit add another version all the info from the previous version, every field that had info in it, gets transferred over too including album art (pretty sure I saw someone say they were having problems witb that a bit ago) which is actually nice for some fields but not others.

Azmodes wrote:

false_icon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:46 pm 

When the speed (33 RMP for instance) is defined for a vinyl, but not the size, the speed does not show on the release page, showing only "vinyl", and not "vinyl (33 RPM)"...

EDIT: and now, the speed does not show anymore, even if the size is set!
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Alkerdeel/Morinde/421780
To separate art from entertainment doesn't make sense anymore.

my trade list

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:08 pm 

I can see the speed...

Azmodes wrote:

false_icon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:51 pm 

It seems to be back now, ignore my edit.
To separate art from entertainment doesn't make sense anymore.

my trade list

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next