Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
pfo
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:07 am 

I added the re-issue of Omnium Gatherum's The Redshift as a new version. It shows up under the other version tab of the original album... but is also showing up as a new Main release.. I see from the post below a mod needs to fix this.

Azmodes wrote:
aeternus1990 wrote:
Hi! Please explain me how to add 2-in-1 re-issue as the other version without showing it up in the main discography. I've tried to add it for the Vice Human s/t full-length but in result I've got it listed as separate entry in the discography tab: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Vice_Human/12080

You can't, really. It's alright to add an entry to each of the bundled parent releases (like you did). A separate listing should not be done. However, for regular users that happens automatically when the title varies from the parent and only mods can undo it. Please report these releases after you added them/when you come across them, so that a moderator can remove the listing and have it only show up in the other versions tab. The title variation is not really significant here, just a consequence of the bundle.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:13 am 

Watch out on discogs, there are some instances where full-lengths featuring bonus material are erroneously marked as compilations. A good example is Re-Animator's Condemned to Eternity, which featured later reissues with an earlier EP in it's entirety as bonus material. Mark the child entry as a full-length as normal, and just make a note in the description field. In this case I put (Bonus EP) for the applicable entries:

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Re ... o_Eternity
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:36 am 

Will any of the more obsolete formats be added for format options, or is that more of an "other" situation? Garage bands likely won't be marked with these ones, and the seem to be a North American/UK phenomena, but our older groups from major labels often have these formats used on their album releases.

8-tracks, with most of these groups having multiple releases on the format:
- Black Sabbath (http://www.discogs.com/Black-Sabbath-Bl ... se/5319642)
- Def Leppard (http://www.discogs.com/Def-Leppard-On-T ... se/5623900)
- Deep Purple (http://www.discogs.com/Deep-Purple-Shad ... se/4294548)
- Budgie (http://www.discogs.com/Budgie-If-I-Were ... se/5154893)
- Judas Priest (http://www.discogs.com/Judas-Priest-Sad ... se/5220041)
- Lucifer's Friend (http://www.discogs.com/Lucifers-Friend- ... se/5186727)
- Rush (http://www.discogs.com/Rush-Rush/release/4304156)
- The Scorpions (http://www.discogs.com/Scorpions-Virgin ... se/3583458)
- Thin Lizzy (http://www.discogs.com/Thin-Lizzy-Bad-R ... se/5568829)
- Rainbow (http://www.discogs.com/Rainbow-Long-Liv ... se/5350897)

Reel-to-Reel also popped up for a brief period, but a list of bands on our site using the format was slim pickin's:
- Deep Purple (http://www.discogs.com/Deep-Purple-The- ... se/2498109)
- Black Sabbath (http://www.discogs.com/Black-Sabbath-Bl ... se/5316420)

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:54 am 

^"Other" and details in the version description should suffice for these.

Cursarion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:54 am 

pfo wrote:
I added the re-issue of Omnium Gatherum's The Redshift as a new version. It shows up under the other version tab of the original album... but is also showing up as a new Main release.. I see from the post below a mod needs to fix this.

You changed the release's title to "The Redshift (Reissue)". Just don't do that and it'll be fine. The album isn't renamed, it's just a reissue, so there's no need at all to change the album title.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:11 am 

To explain this a bit... There is a little checkbox called "Separate listing?" when adding an album version. It's only visible to mods, but whenever an album version is added by non-mods with a name string that differs from the original entry (or under another band name), the box is automatically checked. Usually a differently named reissue/version justifies that, and if not, moderators can judge case-by-case and check or uncheck the box. Of course there's gonna be some really minor name variations that shouldn't really warrant a separate listing, so please report those (use your judgement, for example a version "Album 2000" with no difference to "Album" wouldn't really need a new listing; whereas a remixed version "Album 2000" probably does, as would the reissue "Hail Satan" for "First Album"). It also follows that you shouldn't include stuff like "reissue" or "remaster" in the title field. Use the version description and/or add. notes for that instead, unless it is an actual, official part of the version title, i.e. it was explicitly renamed.

Note: Just because it reads, say, "Album (remaster)" on the spine doesn't necessarily mean it's an actual part of the title. Again, use common sense to tell mere descriptions from title changes.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:38 pm 

I'd just like to throw this out there: to all people inputting new versions of albums or updating the original, please, please, please add all the fucking information. I keep coming across versions missing bonus tracks or catalog numbers or other various things, or they are being mislabeled. Not being of veteran status I keep having to file reports for stupid updates to add miniscule data that's being left out. Super annoying and redundant as hell.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:00 pm 

Erosion of Humanity wrote:
Not being of veteran status I keep having to file reports for stupid updates to add miniscule data that's being left out. Super annoying and redundant as hell.

Called "paying yer dues", son! :)

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:28 pm 

This report could use some help, cause someone really fucked up here. The 2013 album Goregrind is Not a Crime ended up on the album list 4 times.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:35 pm 

I removed the dupes (unchecked separate listing)...

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:58 am 

For what it's worth as well I think it would be a good idea for you to allow the bootlegs and unofficial releases. Now this is just one man's opinion but I know that when I'm looking for info on a CD or whatever other format it may be my gut reaction is to hit up MA. Now if I'm looking for general info this site is good but if I'm trying to find out if something is fake then I gotta go elsewhere. Not really a big deal but I think it would be nice to see them listed here of course red flagged to hell and back. It would just make it easier to not get ripped off I feel, that and well you are an encyclopedia, listing the fact that there are fakes out there would make sense to me. Again just food for thought.

Um... that's already exactly how it works.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:15 am 

EoH:

Spoiler: show
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:19 am 

Ahhh yeah I saw that (and used it once) I guess I just got a bit confuzzled there because I swear I saw somebody saying not to enter the bootlegs or something to that effect, my bad.

Azmodes wrote:

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:43 am 

Unofficial albums aren't allowed, unofficial album versions (of valid parents) are.

false_icon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:22 am 

A bizarre behaviour generating duplicates in 6 steps:

1. Edit the master release

2. Change the picture of the cover, but don't validate your change (to still have initial additional notes to cut and paste to a new version)

3. Create a new version that uses the older cover (and copy the additional notes, if needed, from the master release)

4. Validate the changes of the master release

5. Validate the new version:
- error message about the not-found cover
- still on the edit page
- BUT NEW VERSION WAS ADDED WITH THE MASTER RELEASE NEW COVER

6. Change the cover of the new version with the old one you previously saved on your HDD:
- DUPLICATE CREATED

It happened when updating / creating new versions for Abruptum's Obscuritatem Advoco Amplectère Me, where the master release was featuring a later repress cover.
So this should be deleted.

my trade list

Torquia
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:51 pm 

What is the difference between Mastering SID Code & Mould SID Code? Where each one is located?

Cursarion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:56 pm 

false_icon wrote:

If I understood correctly, this isn't really bizarre. You shouldn't modify two things which are dependent of each other at the same time, eg. in this case the master release and the new version. If you want to copy something over easily, you can do that with clipboard, notepad (or similar) or even new browser tabs where you're viewing (as in not editing) the data.

I've understood the child entries either inherit what the master release has, or replace it with something new. If what's supposed to be inherited from the master release changes during the process it's no wonder something odd happens.

Ie., this is what you did in reality:
1. Started creating a new version, where you wanted to inherit the old cover, which we'll call 7078-5407
2. Changed the parent's cover from 7078-5407 to 7078-3641
3. Submit the new version creation form where you have the cover set as 7078-5407
4. 7078-5407 is not found because you just replaced it with 7078-3641 -> error

Immortalon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:55 am 

Hi!
I have a question about adding a casette versions of albums. So, I tried to add tape version of Accidental Suicide's "Deceased" (http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ac ... eased/7918), but I couldn't add any song to Side B. All the time I'm trying to do this, I can add/change only songs from the Side A (witch are all songs from regular CD version). What should I do?

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:20 am 

^ click and drag side b to where it needs to go.

I ran into a new situation today while updating Artch's Another Return. The original album title is Another Return but on a few of the versions specifically the American and Canadian and maybe 1 or 2 others the album title was changed to Another Return to Church Hill will all the same info (track listing and cover art). I just made not of it in the additional notes field but I wanted to get some confirmation here as to whether that's how it should be done going forward or not.

Azmodes wrote:

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:22 am 

I ran into a new situation today while updating Artch's Another Return. The original album title is Another Return but on a few of the versions specifically the American and Canadian and maybe 1 or 2 others the album title was changed to Another Return to Church Hill will all the same info (track listing and cover art). I just made not of it in the additional notes field but I wanted to get some confirmation here as to whether that's how it should be done going forward or not.

You should change the title for the specific versions. No separate listings, though. Also, you neglected to upload the correct covers for the differently named versions. I'll take care of it.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:31 am 

Torquia wrote:
What is the difference between Mastering SID Code & Mould SID Code? Where each one is located?

The mastering SID code denotes where the original master copy ("stamper") was made. The mould SID code denotes where the specific copy was manufactured (replicated from said master copy). Note that SID codes only exist since 1994.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:39 am 

Azmodes wrote:

You should change the title for the specific versions. No separate listings, though. Also, you neglected to upload the correct covers for the differently named versions. I'll take care of it.

Ok cool, and sorry I forgot, I just got that power the other day so I'll make sure I don't fuck it up again, thanks.

Azmodes wrote:

false_icon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:59 am 

Cursarion wrote:
false_icon wrote:

If I understood correctly, this isn't really bizarre. You shouldn't modify two things which are dependent of each other at the same time, eg. in this case the master release and the new version. If you want to copy something over easily, you can do that with clipboard, notepad (or similar) or even new browser tabs where you're viewing (as in not editing) the data.

I've understood the child entries either inherit what the master release has, or replace it with something new. If what's supposed to be inherited from the master release changes during the process it's no wonder something odd happens.

Ie., this is what you did in reality:
1. Started creating a new version, where you wanted to inherit the old cover, which we'll call 7078-5407
2. Changed the parent's cover from 7078-5407 to 7078-3641
3. Submit the new version creation form where you have the cover set as 7078-5407
4. 7078-5407 is not found because you just replaced it with 7078-3641 -> error

Yup, that's exactly the process.
Anyway, my main problem was not with the DB error, which I fully understand (cover 7078-5407 not found, to take your example), but with the fact, that while still remaining on the new version edit page, the new version was actually added to the database without notice for the user.

Usually, in database programming, when there is an error detected, no writing (INSERT or UPDATE) is made (and a ROLLBACK instead of a COMMIT is called if the DB is transactional).

my trade list

Torquia
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:01 am 

Azmodes wrote:
Torquia wrote:

The mastering SID code denotes where the original master copy ("stamper") was made. The mould SID code denotes where the specific copy was manufactured (replicated from said master copy). Note that SID codes only exist since 1994.

Thanks Azmodes! So, for CDs the correct would be "Matrix" instead of "Matrix / Runout" as it is usual for LPs?

Cursarion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:37 am 

false_icon wrote:
Yup, that's exactly the process.
Anyway, my main problem was not with the DB error, which I fully understand (cover 7078-5407 not found, to take your example), but with the fact, that while still remaining on the new version edit page, the new version was actually added to the database without notice for the user.

Yeah, that shouldn't definitely happen.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:54 pm 

Torquia wrote:
Thanks Azmodes! So, for CDs the correct would be "Matrix" instead of "Matrix / Runout" as it is usual for LPs?

errr, not sure. Not very familiar with that kind of vinyl terminology. But for CDs, I suppose
Quote:
Mastering SID Code:
Mould SID Code:
Matrix number:

works.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:51 am 

Is there any way to add lyrics for bonus tracks while adding new releases or do you just have to go back in once the version is saved and add the lyrics separately?

Azmodes wrote:

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:26 am 

I...don't see why you wouldn't be able to do it all in the same edit.

Last.fm

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:53 pm 

I don't know either but I can't unless I'm missing something. I can open/close the lyrics even for bonus tracks but whenever I save the alternate version it's only the none bonus tracks that appear with lyrics. O.K. something weird happened, I'm going through Arch Enemy's Burning Bridges and it seems like if I'm working off of the parent release (i.e. start with it and then go to add another version) the lyric fields are locked but if I go off of the non parent release it will let me add lyrics for bonus tracks.

Ok never mind again, I honestly have no freaking clue what's going on. If I say add a version and include bonus tracks it locks the lyric fields, but then when I hit add another version I can edit the lyrics for those bonus tracks. I'm just confused.

And now I just added the lyrics for the two bonus tracks on the Dream On version of Burning Bridges but the lyrics for all the rest of the songs aren't present :scratch:

Azmodes wrote:

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:12 pm 

It must have to do something with the way the parent's attributes carry over. If you are going from the parent itself it must be beyond your access (which doesn't really make sense as you should be able to edit to your heart's content before you save). I ran into a similar issue where it wasn't acknowledging bonus tracks correctly on a child version, but HB fixed that bug.

EDIT: Try to retrace your steps, did you create a version without lyrics at all somewhere?

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:16 pm 

Nope, all I did was make a version to where I could edit the lyrics for the bonus tracks and then swap names and add in the correct lyrics and poof! Like magic the lyrics for the first 8 songs were gone.

I'm wondering if its a glitch where the lyrics are being considered previously entered data thereby denying me access since I'm not a veteran yet.

Azmodes wrote:

SaulVerner
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:31 am 

Great new feature overall, but then there's also a side-effect: now that you can add unofficial versions of releases, new label pages were created, in particular of Polish companies specializing in producing pirated tapes in the '80s and early '90s (companies like MG Records, ALF, Takt Records etc.). Some of them (for example Takt or Baron) had also a few official releases (mostly of Polish bands), but the majority of them were pirates. Then of course there have been and will be created pages for other bootleggers (of tapes and CDs) from various other countries.

Anyway, my point here is: as users add these unofficial versions, there will be eventually lists of 100s if not 1000s bands in these labels' "Past roster" tabs, while in fact these bands have never been part of their roster. Any way to remedy this situation?

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:36 am 

Azmodes wrote:
MetalCuresHeadaches wrote:
Stuff about 8-Tracks and Reel-to-Reel releases

^"Other" and details in the version description should suffice for these.

So after adding the 8-Track version of Def Lleppard's On Through the Night, the "Other" option seems to have a few hang ups.

It's two tapes, with 2 sides each for that release. As you can see from that link, there's no option to add multiple discs, instead having to add new "components" for each side; you also can't rename the components when using them on Other. There's also no option to choose sides for a release. As such, the release has 4 "Components", which looks odd.

Perhaps the "Multiple" option would work better in this particular case, but I'm not sure that will be acceptable for any/all future cases.

EDIT: Completely unrelated question, but no need for multiple posts--Does a release to a fan-club count as a valid version of a release?

Cursarion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:44 pm 

MetalCuresHeadaches wrote:
EDIT: Completely unrelated question, but no need for multiple posts--Does a release to a fan-club count as a valid version of a release?

I'm not 100% sure (and/as it would depend on the case), but I think many fan-club releases are considered public enough.

Also, there seems to be a bug which causes the tracklisting and everything below it do disappear from view. It's shown when editing though. Apparently it's caused when the format isn't set, possibly only with multi-component releases, and can be avoided by setting the format. So there's no need to panic if this happens, nothing should be lost.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:38 am 

Diamhea wrote:
I suspect a lot of additional notes are going to get removed....

Yah. This will be a mountainous task I'm assuming, and due to not having the required rank (yet), the additional notes field will be messy/redundant for releases with multiple re-releases in multiple formats. One example is this release which has all of these reissues and formats.

Should I add the reissues/re-releases and then flag a report to have them nuked/deleted (obvious question I assume...)?

My collection

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:47 am 

Yes of course, by all means.

Torquia
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:26 am 

Should Mayhem "US Legions" be considered another version of "European Legions"?

Caliginosity
Philosopher of Metal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:29 pm 

Just a reminder. If you add a new child release to a parent release, or update the info on an existing release, delete the additional notes about the re-releases. And for example, delete "cassette tape, limited to 100 copies". You are already adding the limitation and the format.

If you are a lower rank, and unable to delete the info, you can always send a report stating what needs to be done/deleted.

I'm seeing a lot of updated releases with unnecessary additional notes and info about re-releases not being deleted.
If the info is relevant to the re-release, add it under that child entry.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:13 pm 

Some of us can't, like me for example. I've been deleting all the redundant info from the child releases, cause that's all I can do, but I usually wait until I'm done with a band to file a report for a thorough cleansing of the parent releases so as not to make like 5 reports a day for the same band. I'm sure some people either forget or just don't think to report the albums they've done so that parent's additional notes can be cleaned up.

Edit: speaking of which I finished Bal-Sagoth today minus that demo that somebody else fucked up, so the parent releases can be updated.

Azmodes wrote:

Last edited by Erosion of Humanity on Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caliginosity
Philosopher of Metal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:23 pm 

Your doing exactly the right thing too. I forgot to add that part in my original post and will now.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next