Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
joecubbie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:07 pm 

Hey everyone! I'm posting this just to clarify the policy on outside songwriters. Is it appropriate to add these songwriters as "misc. staff" if they were commissioned for the album/song? I'll give a popular example: On Screaming for Vengeance, Judas Priest enlisted the help of Bob Halligan, Jr. to write a single in "(Take These) Chains". Also, does the same apply to outside writers who collaborate with band members on certain songs? I just wanted to make sure before doing any potentially zealous maintenance. Thanks.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:07 am 

I've previously asked on this topic, so if the mods don't mind, I'll paraphrase what I've been told over the years.

-Songwriters (music or lyrics) can be credited on any release. The one exception is for cover songs. If the track is a cover, either of another band, or of a classical/traditional song, those songwriters should not have credits added in the lineup tab.

-Hired or outside songwriters, such as the professional songwriters you can see with more mainstream acts on the site, can be credited for their work.

-The guidelines I was told as far as where to enter the credits were pretty straightforward. If an band member was a songwriter, that credit can be added on the band members tab. Ditto for a guest or session member. If the songwriter does not appear in another role on one of those two tabs, they go in misc staff.

-The site consensus seems to be that "Songwriting" is acceptable for both composers of the music itself, or as a generic credit if the liner notes do not differentiate between musical and lyrical composers, while "Lyrics" are obviously for lyrical contributions.

Hopefully that helps/answers any questions!

joecubbie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:44 am 

That was really helpful. Thank you MCH!!!

Reply to topic