Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
usernameusername6
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:03 pm 

By looking at the band submission from Kyáneos, I noticed that the gender of all artists read ,,Male", even if that was neither cleared up, nor true.
I trace the cause to the fact that - when adding an artist to the site - the first option, the box that is already checked before it is actively changed, is ,,Male". I would suggest making the first box ,,Unknown", so that if a person adds an artist without giving it much time or thought, the default is ,,Unknown" rather than ,,Male".

BuriedUnborn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:20 am 

While it'd be more objective for "Unknown" to be the default option, the vast majority of metal artists are, statistically, males; you'll have a female, or someone who identifies as non-binary, every maybe 100 artists, and relatively few bands hide everything about their members including their gender.

Since most people tend to add artists quickly and without checking all the fields properly, you'd end up having a lot of artists marked as "Unknown", and then people would have to go through the list of artists tagged as "unknown", finding the ones whose gender can be confirmed, and changing it. I'd say it's preferable to just have "Male" as default and for people to fix it if it's wrong later.

Moshing: Dancing like a madman, perpetrating a frantic and violent dance which consists in jumping and whipping your body against other brainless idiots until you enter an irrational and brutal pyramid of pleasure.

Reply to topic