Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Krister Jensen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:41 am 

Lyrics in German needs to be capitalized properly for this album. It's all in caps on their Bandcamp.

UPD: Well, I hope I did it correctly, please check.

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:46 pm 

Do we follow the same capitlization rules for artist names? We have an artist named ''mAz Martens'' on our site, and looking at his band's Facebook it seems he has intentionally chosen that capitalization.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:41 pm 

I think we're more lenient there, so just as is.

@Krister Jensen: Almost! I'll edit it.

~Guest 290927
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:01 pm 

According to Norwegian capitalization rules, we change Ulver's Bergtatt - Et Eeventyr i 5 Capitler to "Bergtatt – Et eeventyr i 5 capitler", so are their other Norwegian titled albums. Also, wikipedia uses the latter. But since Ulver is such a famed band, I wonder why it has been done yet. Better ask here before a blind edit.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:28 am 

hmmm, wasn't the reason it was kept because it's some kind of old Dano-Norwegian or something? Even if so, I'm fine with changing it. Same difference.

Kjetter
Mutineer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:07 am 

I think the "incorrect" capitalization is very much intended, and correct if they are emulating an older writing style. But I concur with "same difference".

Bachstein
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:53 am 

What about to follow the capitalization according to the printing on the booklet?

~Guest 290927
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:00 pm 

Bachstein wrote:
What about to follow the capitalization according to the printing on the booklet?

In my knowledge, MA uses the correct capitalization rather than the style printed on booklets. That is the very reason why this thread exists in the first place.

Bachstein
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:37 pm 

Oh, I see. In this case sorry for my silly comment.

Krister Jensen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:52 pm 

There's an album with titles in Cimbrian.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:32 pm 

Krister Jensen wrote:
There's an album with titles in Cimbrian.

Done. Cimbrian is cool.

I've applied German capitalisation, which may be debatable. However, the band themselves follow this in the few Cimbrian parts of their lyrics on Bandcamp.

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:04 pm 

What are we doing with French band names? Sorcier des Glaces is incorrect, it should be Sorcier des glaces. In the OP, we were still open to discussion. Most album and song titles are capitalized correctly, so I would say band names should also be for consistency purposes. According to the 6 years old OP, not everyone agrees or is concerned. Also, many of the links in the OP are broken.

ANSWER: The policy is undecided.

0th
Suicidal Angel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:06 am 

I know the band's name are always in Title Case on the site, but I checked all Czech bands' names, I noticed only 5 bands writes in Title Case: Zajetí Kouře, Velká Morava, Krvavá Práce, Století Nudy, and Tříštivá Fraktura, while the rest are in Sentence case: Popravčí vrch, Starostovi muži, Koudelníkův syn and many more... Should they be changed (by mods)?

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:13 am 

Currently under debate and unresolved. You can read more about it here: https://www.metal-archives.com/report/view/id/630137

BTW, if we do decide to change them all to the only-first-word-capitalized style, “Velká Morava” is fine because “Morava” (Moravia) is a proper noun.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:09 am 

I was wondering about us adhering to weird or improper capitalisation found on releases by Japanese bands.
E.g. http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Fi ... all/693563
Why is this a special case? And I'm not talking about this release only. There are hundreds of them. Why are such releases treated differently?
Been meaning to ask this for a while now.

Krister Jensen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:09 am 

Hmm, no there should should be no exceptions regardless of the country. They just seem to like stylizing titles, but we should still stick to the rules. So yeah, feel free to correct them, I surely do whenever I stumble upon them.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:54 pm 

Appreciated, KJ. :)

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:09 am 

I really do not understand, why the rules for writing of capital lettrs in Czech language are constantly being a problem and are being disputed. The rules are quite clear, ththey are not a matter of choice for someone, who wants to speak or write Czech properly and they are officially codified and granted by the language authorities in Czech republic (Ústav pro jazyk český). It is strange, that some people, now generally speaking , are simply unable to understand, that some languages may have different grammar rules tthan the english language. The rules for capitalization are all explained here, so I would like to urge everybody , who wants to submit Czech bands, to read them an dfollow them:
https://mluvtecesky.net/en/grammar/capitalization If a Czech band gers submitted with an incorrect cacapital letters, it is no tragedy, it should however be corrected during the evaluation process: https://mluvtecesky.net/en/grammar/capitalization
So to sum it up, these rules are obligatory, not a matter of personal choice and if the database wants to be as correct as possible, . rules should be applied in full scale.
In the light of all this, could please the band names of Zajetí kouře and the three other bands be corrected to be in line with the Czech standards? I find it personally quite sad, tthat even if I submitted Zajetí kouře with the correct capitalisation, it was still later changed to the grotesque " anglicized" version, despite my extensive report on that matter. Thanks.
Edit: https://www.inflectra.com/Support/Attachment/34439.aspx

KingSpooky
The Man, The Machine, The Legend

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:00 pm 

Witcher wrote:
It is strange, that some people, now generally speaking , are simply unable to understand, that some languages may have different grammar rules tthan the english language.

- word "English" should be capitalized.

KingSpooky
The Man, The Machine, The Legend

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:21 am 

The word 'like' used as a preposition should begin with a lowercase letter. It seems to be one that has often been capitalized mistakenly. I corrected some of them within song titles today. An example is: Hot like Fire.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6