Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
cranial crusher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:48 pm 

I saw this dude flagging a report (https://www.metal-archives.com/report/view/id/624347) to Caliban's release Memoirs and in a first moment I just added the disc titles on the "Additional notes" tab. Later on I realized that the release is actually a boxed set, not a compilation.

Source: https://www.impericon.com/de/caliban-me ... x-set.html

So, the thing is: there's this release by Caliban, which is a boxed set: https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/C ... %29/688033

How could I fix this entry and add only the disc titles (format of a boxed set, with a "Discs" tab instead of a "Songs" tab), instead of a compilation entry?

For instance:

Boxed set entry: https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/B ... rks/667107

I'm not sure about how should I fix it and I wanna do it properly, so should I add the boxed set entry and flag the compilation one to be deleted? Or I just change the type of the release for "boxed set" and add the discs, deleting the current tracklist?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by cranial crusher on Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 368187
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:36 pm 

^ I've taken care of it.

To fix this, delete all of the CDs besides one (with the release still set as a compilation). Once you do that, change the release to a boxed set and delete all the extra songs that were left on the one CD you didn't delete. Then just change the tittles of the tracks and add the track information into the disc notes. This can all be done in one save btw.

cranial crusher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:48 pm 

Oh, ok!

Got it, thanks man :)

EDIT:

Just a quick question then: if the albums released in the boxed set are pretty much the same as the original ones (same songs), isn't it kind of redundant to add the same tracklist again for the boxed set release?

I mean if the same album is being released again with exactly the same tracklist, isn't it obvious that the tracklist is that of the original release, i.e. one should check the link for the original release for tracklist info?

Last edited by cranial crusher on Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 368187
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:50 pm 

No problem :thumbsup:

cranial crusher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:28 am 

Just reposting the question from my previous post:

cranialcrusherabc wrote:
Just a quick question then: if the albums released in the boxed set are pretty much the same as the original ones (same songs), isn't it kind of redundant to add the same tracklist again for the boxed set release?

I mean if the same album is being released again with exactly the same tracklist, isn't it obvious that the tracklist is that of the original release, i.e. one should check the link for the original release for tracklist info?

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:15 pm 

It is redundant, though having the info there is definitely useful considering album tracklists vary at times.

cranial crusher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:28 pm 

Alright, understood ;)

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:15 am 

Forger (NWOBHM)
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/For ... ab_members

Does anyone have a ReverbNation account? If so, could you send a message to this artist asking whose nickname was "Steve Animal" and whose was "Tobe Roxx"?
https://www.reverbnation.com/geoffmega

I've added the line-up according to this:
https://www.discogs.com/release/5890057 ... ght/images
However, I had to change the roles of both musicians mentioned above. Those were incorrect.

Here's the issue, though. It's not unlikely that the roles were correct but the nicknames assigned to both artists weren't. It just makes more sense for Steve Brooks to be Steve Animal, if you know what I mean.

EpicDismemberment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:42 am 

Hi,

Is it appropriated to add the country's name in the version desc. if that version produced exclusively for that country? This user seems to keep deleting the country's name on the version desc. Go to page 8 of his modification history. And this is some of them. https://imgur.com/a/HCuJp

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:59 am 

Save for Japanese releases, don't add the country to the VD unless absolutely necessary (i.e. there are no other major differences).
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

EpicDismemberment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:21 pm 

Ok, thanks.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:45 pm 

I'd file a report if the discography weren't locked.
Not a question, and not an urgent matter... just a bit of work for someone who has time on their hands:
https://www.discogs.com/master/view/569178 (2-album compilation to add + other versions)

cranial crusher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:16 pm 

If a band is currently split up but reunites for a single concert, should its status be updated to active?

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:47 pm 

It should look something like this:

Years active:
1994-2002, 2018
Add. notes:
Reunited for a one-off show in 2018.
Reunited for (insert name of show) on (insert exact date).

Don't forget to update the members' section. Musicians that have never been involved with the band should be listed as "live musicians".

This is my take on things. Don't consider it a definite answer. I'm just thinking aloud.

cranial crusher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:57 pm 

Alright. I'm waiting for another mod to confirm it then.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:55 am 

Yeah, this has come up a number of times in the mod chat and IIRC we agreed to reflect dayfly reunion shows in the active years. So Antioch is correct.

Krister Jensen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:37 am 

What is the correct format of the "guitar solo" role? Because I remember some of my role additions as "Guitar solo (track X)" were replaced with Guitars (lead) (track X)", which is not actually correct. It's mostly about guest/session musicians playing a solo in some part of a song.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:18 am 

Yeah, if the contribution is really only one or more contained guitar solos as opposed to general lead work, then "Guitar solo[s] (track X)" should be used. Who replaced it?

Krister Jensen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:36 am 

I don't really remember, it was months ago. I just kept this question in mind but always forgot to ask here. Thanks for clarifying that!

cranial crusher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:34 am 

Azmodes wrote:
Yeah, this has come up a number of times in the mod chat and IIRC we agreed to reflect dayfly reunion shows in the active years. So Antioch is correct.

Thank you.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:12 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
Yeah, if the contribution is really only one or more contained guitar solos as opposed to general lead work, then "Guitar solo[s] (track X)" should be used. Who replaced it?

I may have replaced those for one or two album line-ups, courtesy of KJ, before realizing that wasn't what the credit meant. I didn't go back to re-edit those. I've since gone with Guitars (solo) (tracks 1, 3), which I see isn't ideal, either. Apologies.

EpicDismemberment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:50 am 

Hi,

If the type of the release listed as Boxed set does it necessary to put the word "Boxset" in the version desc. field?
https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/T ... ons/699988

Also, how to type "Boxset" correctly?

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:54 pm 

I wouldn't choose "boxed set" for a full-length housed in a fancy box featuring additional items. It is no doubt a boxed set, but I don't think it should be listed as such.

"Box set" and "Boxed set" are both fine, but I use the latter, i.e. "Boxed set" as it's the standard term on here. Boxset is also often used on here. Also, words like "glorious" describing the artwork should be deleted. ;)

You could use a different photo for the boxed set if a decent one exists.

I've updated your entry.

EpicDismemberment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:16 pm 

Ok, thank you.

cranial crusher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:31 am 

The official website of a band shows only its current lineup, which seems that has never changed since the band was born (comparing official website lineup x band's biography on the official website x the lineup featured on the "line up" tab here).

I understand that current line up is not necessarily the lineup which recorded an specific album but in this scenario, considering that the lineup has never changed, is it considered guesswork to add the band members as the line up for an album?

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:30 am 

Yes, because you don't know the specific lineup roles on the album. Don't ever make it a habit of just assuming things like this and adding current lineup members verbatim without a source. I've seen such laziness as album lineups with roles like "Guitars (Bass early)," which makes absolutely no sense in context. Even more importantly, lineup roles are oftentimes different/more specific than the primary instrument credits on the band page lineup, so I don't endorse this.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

cranial crusher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:36 am 

Yeah, I'm not making it a habit, I'm just asking to avoid messing it all up.

Thanks for clarifying it :)

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:04 am 

Can someone with a better set of eyes (and/or experience with pseudonyms) read the vocalist's name?
http://www.discogs.com/release/10857625 ... sen/images (name on band photo)

Last edited by Antioch on Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Krister Jensen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:27 am 

Looks like "Kadonis" to me...
Here it also says they started in 1996 and released one more demo - http://www.reocities.com/SunsetStrip/fe ... 7/tbml.pdf

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:38 am 

That was my first thought, KJ, but then I tried "Kadotus" - turns out it's Finnish for Damnation. I suppose that's the one, but need a mod confirmation to add him.

You could probably add a note about the demo. How on earth did you dig that up? ;)

Of_This_Night36
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:38 pm 

I want to add something.

There's the standard version of the album. And then there's a special limited edition with a 2nd CD with totally separate music on it. Never released anywhere else, exclusive to this "special edition".

Should this be added as a 2CD set / "other version" of the parent entry for this album? Or should the "2nd CD" be added separately as its own thing in the band's discography?
Annihilated Pentagram Productions - Kvlt unblack for dark hearts and the left-hand path, not the saved (Luke 5:32). Several releases are free download.
Christ is Lord, there is no other. 2 Peter 3:9, John 14:1-3, Revelation 20:10, Revelation 22:20

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:25 pm 

Sounds like a child version to me. Unless it is presented as a separate release entirely, then it might warrant checking the "separate listing" box to make it show up in the discography.

Last.fm

Of_This_Night36
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:16 pm 

EpicDismemberment wrote:
Hi,

Is it appropriated to add the country's name in the version desc. if that version produced exclusively for that country? This user seems to keep deleting the country's name on the version desc. Go to page 8 of his modification history. And this is some of them. https://imgur.com/a/HCuJp

I was curious about this too, actually, but forgot to say something. When the "version desc." was first implemented, the announcement directly said to specify countries - in noun form, not adjectival form (ie "USA", not "American"). Yet along the way, people started removing these specifications. Did the rule on this change at some point?
Annihilated Pentagram Productions - Kvlt unblack for dark hearts and the left-hand path, not the saved (Luke 5:32). Several releases are free download.
Christ is Lord, there is no other. 2 Peter 3:9, John 14:1-3, Revelation 20:10, Revelation 22:20

~Guest 368187
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:35 pm 

Of_This_Night36 wrote:
EpicDismemberment wrote:
Hi,

I was curious about this too, actually, but forgot to say something. When the "version desc." was first implemented, the announcement directly said to specify countries - in noun form, not adjectival form (ie "USA", not "American"). Yet along the way, people started removing these specifications. Did the rule on this change at some point?

Yes, besides Japanese pressings, don't list the country in the version description unless they are 100% the same besides the country. See here.

Of_This_Night36
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:07 pm 

^ Alright, I'll keep that in mind.

... And a few short minutes later, I'm back! The underground NEVER stops being confusing.

So there's this. You don't have to read the 400 paragraphs of text on that page, the short version is, this is a Katumus album. But the 2nd CD / bonus disc contains music from the band members' other projects (like Elgibbor, Armath Sargon etc)

How should I format this release? I'm thinking I should list it as a split album? Because even if it's not technically intended to be a split, that's... basically what it is regardless? (As one example, this compilation album is also listed as a split because it features a song from another band)

Of_This_Night36
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 3:44 pm 

^ I decided to just go ahead with adding that. The problem, though, is the 2nd CD has 7 bands featured on it, more than is allowed for split albums.

The other 2 components are valid for the site, but this compilation CD apparently isn't. Not sure what to do. Just mention the compilation in the additional notes? List it as something other than a split?

EpicDismemberment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 12:30 pm 

Hi,

it some kind of language barrier, I think. When bands use the term "hiatus" it implies to on hold or split-up? I often baffle with this issue, so please someone enlighten me. Thanks.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 12:32 pm 

On hold.

EpicDismemberment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 12:42 pm 

One more question. So if one band was formed in 2009 and went on hiatus since 2013 before being active again in 2016. The year rank should be 2009-2013, 2016-present OR just delete 2013 and make it 2009-present?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 1:10 pm 

The first one.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 39  Next