Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:33 pm 

Streaming-only releases on SoundCloud and Bandzone aren't acceptable. Are streaming-only Bandcamp releases acceptable?
To be specific: https://lasttrauma19.bandcamp.com/
The band was rejected back in 2016.

KingSpooky
The Man, The Machine, The Legend

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:43 pm 

Hi Antioch,
They have the same requirements as SoundCloud and Bandzone. Thanks for asking about it.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:56 pm 

Thanks, Spook.

KingSpooky

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:05 pm 

Anytime.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:30 am 

And once again a submission (Vile Execution) with no logo, no photo, faulty line-up on the main page and no line-up on the album gets accepted for being five minutes earlier than the one with logo, photo, correct line-up (regarding the members already being on the site rather than new ones), and five entries in the album line-up. There really should be more encouraging of completeness rather than time, since we're not talking about more than about the actual time it takes for most to do those things. It's not like 15 minutes later or anything.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:13 pm 

Sorry, that seems to have been the mod's mistake while blazing through the queue. We're barely managing to keep it from filling up lately; for some reason it seems even more relentless than usual (you've surely noticed yours and other people's submission pools maxing out at 15 numerous times because we can't keep up a lot of the time). Looking at the timestamps and the apparent levels of completeness, it's clear that yours should have been chosen instead. You'll receive the points, FWIW.

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool
Edgy Metal Noob Catchphrase Dispenser

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:48 pm 

If a "band" is really just some guy posting metal music online every now and then, (While fulfilling the criteria for valid digital release, mind you.) then should the year of the band forming be set to "N/A"?

recyclage wrote:
Anyone who writes "The Deftones" isn't trustworthy.

KingSpooky

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:37 am 

If I'm understanding the question correctly, one-person projects should be treated the same as bands with multiple members, where the formed in date matches the first year of activity, and a year should be entered into these fields only if provided at an official source - left blank if unknown. Despite having no gigs or multiple-person practices, if the name exists and songs are being written or ideas gathered, etc. and a year when this began is given by the artist, that should be what's listed on the site (outside of cases where it's verified that the artist's own historical information about the project is inaccurate).

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:30 am 

I guess I'm just looking for some admin confirmation before I make a change. Grym is one of our bands with an unknown country of origin. I've been working through these bands to research and find countries of origin for them, and while doing so for Grym, I've found some circumstantial evidence pointing to the artist being from Australia.

The band pretty consistently sticks to their lore that Lord Grym is a "multi-dimensional skeleton from the Nether Realm". However, a few of Grym's old advertisements, such as his artist page with Solar Guitars and the band's Spotify bio mention Lord Grym's weekly Twitch streams, and list the times in Australian Western Standard Time; for what it's worth, his accent in these streams is also pretty clearly Australian. I'm fairly confident that Australia is where the band is from, but I don't know if this is enough evidence to justify changing the country of origin, or if I should simply list the suspicions in the additional notes like we do with other Unknown bands with unconfirmed locations.

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:38 pm 

MetalCuresHeadaches wrote:
I guess I'm just looking for some admin confirmation before I make a change. Grym is one of our bands with an unknown country of origin. I've been working through these bands to research and find countries of origin for them, and while doing so for Grym, I've found some circumstantial evidence pointing to the artist being from Australia.

The band pretty consistently sticks to their lore that Lord Grym is a "multi-dimensional skeleton from the Nether Realm". However, a few of Grym's old advertisements, such as his artist page with Solar Guitars and the band's Spotify bio mention Lord Grym's weekly Twitch streams, and list the times in Australian Western Standard Time; for what it's worth, his accent in these streams is also pretty clearly Australian. I'm fairly confident that Australia is where the band is from, but I don't know if this is enough evidence to justify changing the country of origin, or if I should simply list the suspicions in the additional notes like we do with other Unknown bands with unconfirmed locations.

Any of the mods have an opinion on this?

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

GraveWish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:24 pm 

Hello,
Why I am seeing some of the bands highlighted in the bands queue?

KingSpooky

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:07 pm 

Those are to alert moderators that are working on the band queue to cases of possible blacklist evasion, recently set up to save time that could potentially be wasted listening to something that has already been assessed and decided isn't fit for the site.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:00 am 

Seems like it's generated automatically, though, based on, for example, the same band name, regardless of the country of origin.

Would it detect minor spelling changes, which I've sporadically seen in the past?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:38 am 

Let's just say it works. :)

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:20 am 

Haha, fair enough. :)

GraveWish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:51 am 

Hello,
Not saying that this is a top priority or anything but it will be cool if we can edit bands in the queue, just like we can do for accepted bands. I understand that this can go in all directions and become messy, so maybe let people update/modify their own submissions?
Another suggestion that can go in all directions. I totally understand that bands might stay in the queue for several days for several reasons. Is there any chance to remove the 15 bands limit especially that the queue has a 300 bands limit anyway? This will save the time of making a draft for a band then having to delete the draft since the band got submitted meanwhile.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:09 am 

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing both the 15 and 300 limits go (and I would actually argue that we should not remove the per-user limit without also getting rid of the total limit), but I'm unsure about what repercussions it might have. There's a certain psychological dynamic to the band queue; the larger it grows, the less motivation mods can muster to work on it at all. Not a good combination. A gargantuan backlog could make it appear almost insurmountable and I'm pretty sure the original reason for the 300 limit was to give mods some breathing room. Then again, the report queue is limitless and it hasn't been doing too badly (I think...). We could always reinstate some limits if the experiment goes awry.

About editing pending bands, the report function is adequate for this.

Tony2
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:24 am 

I tried finding the answer to this question, but I was not able to sort to all the search matches for any sensible information.

So, why isn't it possible to edit song lyrics? If there has been an answer to this question before please direct me.

The reason I'm asking is that I was glancing at the lyrics from the first DHG album (https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/D ... konge/6296), and not only are they written by a person without knowledge of Norwegian and with no time to correct the countless errors, but s/he couldn't even be bothered to use the correct "ø" but used "o" instead throughout. But when I tried to edit...

Strange that lyrics are treated different than any other information regarding an album, but I guess there is a reason.

TheDonsz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:04 am 

Hello,

I ran into a problem and I figured this would be the best place to ask this. If not, could anyone redirect me to the direct subforum or the way I should handle this in the future?

The problem I ran into is that I have an album added in my collection that I added there by accident while looking if it was for trade. Is there a way I can delete this album from my collection? I'd hate to have someone ask me if I would sell it or something and then I don't have it.

Thanks in advance
Greetings

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:33 am 

I've never seen neither Producer nor Manager as a role for someone in the tab for band members. Here's one with both and no other role. In fact, I don't think I've seen Manager at all, even in the Misc roles for releases.
https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Th ... 3540493344

Should such a "band member" be removed from that category? His only regular credit is for songwriting on the first single, which should then be moved to Guest/session for that release.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:22 am 

^ I've worked on Roswell Six's page once: https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Ro ... 3540278888
They had to be included as such in this case (see additional note).

RadiantToblerone
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:03 pm 

I fucked up on accident. I added the date of formation for Dehumanizing Itatrain Worship as 2016. I should have realized that that must be wrong, considering they released a single in 2015. After some more research I saw that 2014 was the date they formed, which seems much more correct. However I couldn’t remove the 2016 to present stat. I don’t know what to do, since it looks weird and obviously wrong.

KingSpooky

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:54 am 

Taken care of - thanks.

GraveWish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:41 am 

Time to add band queue moderators? Talking from my personal experience, seeing the queue always full is discouraging to search for new bands.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:49 pm 

Any reason why the "line up" for The Shredderz was removed? Yep its a virtual band and even though their true identities are hidden, their "line up" is part of their lexicon. Can they be added back?

Like your reviews?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:31 am 

It's still in the notes, as an entirely fictional lineup should be (see also: Spinal Tap, Dethklok). The lineup tab is reserved for the actual musicians behind a project.

herra_af_lik
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:07 am 

I noticed a band was added then changed names but the old release did not stay with the old name, it is listed under the changed name.

Is this normal?

The band Astaroth was accepted on 2015 based on their 2015 EP CD release "Astaroth". They changed names in 2016 and the EP "Astaroth" is listed under the new name but still being released in 2015.

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/As ... 3540396733

I have the band Astaroth (Pre-name change) ready to submit if okay.

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 6:00 pm 

I needed a really clear picture of the album art for Distinction of the Mass by Erase for a personal project. Unfortunately, the only pictures out there are photos of the cassette and the case. I have a copy, but it's old and the jcard is really dirty. I ended up getting a really good scan of it, I cut out the shapes and text, made them solid white, and then filled the background with that purple color. Basically, none of the original scan remains and everything has been completely re-created. That's great for my project, but is it acceptable to use something like this as album art on MA?

Current album art on MA:
Spoiler: show

My re-creation:
Spoiler: show

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 6:50 pm 

Seems fine to use.

KingSpooky

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:59 pm 

Herra, the reason for that is that it's a minor name change, so both band names are contained on one page. If the name change is very much different, it could have its own page. This particular one is fine as it is, is searchable by the original name still, and the releases (should) have a note that the band's name at the time was something different. If uncertain about something is a significant or minor name change, it could be asked to one of the moderators.

herra_af_lik
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:17 pm 

KingSpooky wrote:
Herra, the reason for that is that it's a minor name change, so both band names are contained on one page. If the name change is very much different, it could have its own page. This particular one is fine as it is, is searchable by the original name still, and the releases (should) have a note that the band's name at the time was something different. If uncertain about something is a significant or minor name change, it could be asked to one of the moderators.

Okay, Thank you! I will keep that in mind for next time.

billm99uk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:26 pm 

Mind me asking what happened with Dragon's Eye (https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Dr ... 3540529551)? I submitted it earlier this year (with the full album) - thought it was pretty borderline, but possibly might make the cut as its basically Ebony Eyes with Yasuhide Minami doing the vocals. It got rejected on 14/5/23, so I deleted the draft shortly afterwards. I usually only keep them if I potentially haven't submitted enough samples and more may turn up later, but you already had the full album here. Then baldadeath added it on 20/8/23.

Not a complaint really (I don't need the points or anything) - just didn't understand what had gone on and wondered if I should have done something different somewhere.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 4:07 am 

Your submission was indeed rejected and blacklisted (by KingSpooky based on a majority of mod votes), but since you spelled the entry name with a
Code:
the blacklisting didn't catch balda's sub spelled with a
Code:
'
and it was approved by a single mod uninvolved in and unaware of the previous assessment. The new entry should probably be deleted. I'll talk to the mod, sorry about the confusion.

billm99uk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:12 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
Your submission was indeed rejected and blacklisted (by KingSpooky based on a majority of mod votes), but since you spelled the entry name with a
Code:
the blacklisting didn't catch balda's sub spelled with a
Code:
'

OK thanks. Think I must have typed the name with the one of the Japanese character sets still switched on or copy/pasted it from a Japanese source then. Will watch out for that in the future.

KingSpooky

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:59 pm 

GraveWish wrote:
Time to add band queue moderators? Talking from my personal experience, seeing the queue always full is discouraging to search for new bands.

Probably would be a good idea to add more users that could deal with the increasing workload. I feel bad for Azmodes, taking on so much of the responsibility in the band queue since I stepped down (always over 200, often nearing and sometimes sitting at 300) while others don't step up much in there (other than MacMoney and Sullen Demigod). As it is, Az is doing time-consuming work in the research thread (creating the spreadsheet and keeping it updated). 0th, Krister Jensen, and OpsiusCato / Tlacaxipehualiztli (on the reports front) are consistently productive, and MetalCuresHeadaches is pretty solid going between reports, the cleansing thread (which could use a look at the moment), and the band queue. Kennermahn, S9NE, and new moderator airzez seem to both do a fair amount of editing. ORTAB and Zodijackyl do a great job with various things on Discord, and with other issues on the forum. I know that some people are really busy, or aren't technically "active" moderators but remain on the list, though it would be awesome to see a few more people give effort to the band queue and reports (which there are currently about 2,685 of, up 1,000 from 4 months ago - so growing at a rate of 250 reports per month).
FivePointedStar would be good as a Metal Knight in my opinion, while Miro Alhonniemi and GodOfMalice are the next 2 that should be asked if they want to be moderators - they both have good communication, pay attention to and respond to forum posts, and have good work ethic/careful attention to detail and an increasing awareness of what would and wouldn't be considered metal in the site's definition of the term, and how a valid release is defined.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:28 am 

Why was Kill! Kill! Kill! seemingly accepted and then deleted, since it's neither accepted, pending or rejected? I'm quite sure the demo released under that moniker had CD as chosen format by whoever added it. But now that release has been deleted and replaced by notes talking about tracks on Bandzone...

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Ki ... 3540533765
https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/La ... 3540399455

Sullen Demigod
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:34 am 

Because I added it before I made 100% about the demo having a valid release. By our standards it does not, so the band was deleted. Simple as.

Miro Alhonniemi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:44 pm 

Hello,
Does it count as VR if two singles' cover arts are exactly the same except the other features band's logo and the other doesn't? Probably doesn't count as a unique cover art, but just wanted to make sure.

Here's one example:
https://undergrove.bandcamp.com

GraveWish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:50 am 

For reference: https://www.metal-archives.com/report/view/id/848266

Problem: Suspicious band photo
Scenario 1: Keep the picture until someone proofs it's fake.
Scenario 2: Delete the picture until someone proofs it's not fake.

As an encyclopedia, scenario 2 is obviously the correct choice. Now my question is can we delete such pictures in similar situations or should we return to a moderator to make those decisions?

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:03 am 

Are we to clean/trim links when the URL has unnecessary extra text, or leave them as they are? Perhaps keeping the extra stuff can make the link invalid in the future while the cleaner version still works?

Il thinking from this:
https://open.spotify.com/artist/5MVNs3I ... =copy-link

To this:
https://open.spotify.com/artist/5MVNs3IpB3CL2kt3p0ZsyW

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next