Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:23 am 

The name was added by a trusted user at a later stage, and the musician is credited as S.K. on later releases. If he'd searched for the name back then, he would've merged the two instantly. I have no doubt that it's the same person. Will merge them later today.

Edit: Merged.

cranial crusher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:44 pm 

What's the reason for commenting a dot on a report?

:???:

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:49 pm 

For some reason, it's impossible to take assignment for a report without writing anything... and I couldn't think of anything else to write. I'll try to get all those reports done soon.

cranial crusher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:06 pm 

Cool, no problem! Thank you.

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:35 pm 

MAyBE IT WOULD BE QUITE USEFUL TO ADD TO THE GENERAL GUIDELINES FOR THE Band Appeals forum, that the users should not use this forum to ask about non-metal side project of metal musicians, since the inclusion of such projecrts is enteirely up to the discretion of the site staff. There were at least three such requests recently and it would spare a lot of time for all involved. Latest example:
viewtopic.php?f=27&p=2880192&sid=b48b3e473d91174673e12f2400a335f1#p2880192

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:46 am 

This is gonna seem pretty silly, but I don't want to do a bunch of work for nothing. "Game On", a 2007 digital single from Disciple, had a gimmick when it was released to iTunes back in the day. The original lyrics,

Disciple wrote:
But when you come against my country
When you come against my family

were altered to reference all 32 NFL football teams, replacing the lyrics "my country" with "the team name". Thirty-two separate versions of this song were released, each one as its own digital single. My question is, should we be adding "other versions" for these different versions? The only differences are the altered lyric, and the single title, each one formatted as "Game On (team name Version) - Single". I doubt individual singles would be appropriate, but I don't want to make a bunch of child entries either if they're gonna end up deleted.

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:40 am 

That would probably be overkill. The current status quo (with the note) seems fine here.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

cranial crusher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:35 am 

In what cases a photo showing two different eras of a band (such as this one) is allowed?

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:35 am 

Usually in cases where there's a well-known classic line-up and the current line-up.

Really do wish we had a better way of handling band photos; like a selection of photos through the ages that you could swipe through.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

cranial crusher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:42 am 

Yeah, a better photo section would be great.

Anyhow, this two-pic format is only allowed for "classic" bands then, or I may add it at my discretion?

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:10 am 

We have a small selection of band entries here with notes outlining by which release(s) they were accepted to the site. See Seedna or Aryan Wood for examples. These notes are applied pretty inconsistently on the site, seemingly dependent on which mod approves your borderline band. My question is, would it be acceptable to try and add some more info on this topic to other bands, if it could be found through things like the forums? Or should it be used in only the most borderline cases, a la one-off metal entries like LTP or Hank Williams III?

A few examples where this could be added include ambiguous entries such as Adrenalin Kick or The Black Zombie Procession, whose genre tags indicate their varied sound, but whose entries make no clear indication of what album(s) qualifies them to be here.

BastardHead wrote:

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:35 am 

Please do not add notes like that, even if forum posts seemingly confirm them; they are restricted to staff only. We usually reserve their use for notorious/freak cases that are overwhelmingly better known for non-metal or at least borderline material. I don't doubt that there are more entries on the site that would merit such a note, but that's for us to go through and decide. While I appreciate your willingness to help, we prefer to keep these exceptional and up to staff discretion and since they are hardly vital there is no pressing need for a wider taskforce or anything.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:59 pm 

Alright. Full disclosure, I added notes to both T.O.M.B. and Jucifer before posting here. I went ahead and deleted those again.

BastardHead wrote:

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:03 pm 

https://www.metal-archives.com/labels/D ... ords/47396

The display of the logo looks wrong. Looks like the CSS rules do not work properly as the logo is rather large.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:27 am 

Is there any sort of rule or precedent on putting founding/closing dates for companies with artist pages? The fact that they would show as "birth" and "death" dates is odd enough, but I don't want to add a date of closing/breakup since it would make it show in the RIP section of the site.

BastardHead wrote:

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:31 pm 

I got another "annoying twist" to ask about: the bandcamp page for https://quayde.bandcamp.com/album/love-out-of-darkness features credits for "back cover" and "insert" photography... do I
(1) add them on the parent = digital relase (even though there's obvs no back cover or insert)
(2) add them on the CD and/or vinyl versions or
(3) make the CD the parent version and add them there?

:)

Dickpenis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:33 pm 

Is it possible to link songs of an album to another version?

Situation: An album has 5 shittons of versions.
The original version has no bonus tracks.
Two different following versions have the same bonus tracks, but have both been entered as a child of the original release instead of one using the other as its parent release.
They both inherit lyrics and durations of the main tracks from the master release, but info for the bonus tracks has to be entered for both separately, meaning lyrics are saved twice in the database, and if errors are corrected, corrections only appear in the specific version, not the other one.

So, is it possible (for mods) to link certain tracks to the corresponding one on other releases?

I know following versions can be entered using any previous version as their parent, but what if the data set already exists, and what if there are some bonus tracks which occur on different versions in different combinations, with no "master release" having all of them?

Duisterling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:48 am 

Is there any policy or instruction page on how to deal with Bandcamp releases that have been changed by the band (or possibly label) over the years? Couldn't find what I was looking for through the search.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:50 am 

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=125696

I'm not sure if anything about that is in there right now, but seems worth posting there either way.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:52 am 

Altered tracklist, alternate artwork, bonus tracks, and such you mean? Add a new version. If you know the date, do provide it... The year at least would be great. If you don't, set it to "unknown". :)

Duisterling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:44 am 

Thanks guys!

cranial crusher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:17 pm 

Are additional notes such as "From left to right: artist A, artist B and artist C" allowed or should it be removed?

Vadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:52 am 

What's the qualifications for a song by a band already on the archives to be added?

Because I dunno if this is notable enough to appear on Signs of The Swarm's page:

It's technically a song from them, but it's non-metal video game song that they just did vocals over.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:48 am 

cranialcrusherabc wrote:
Are additional notes such as "From left to right: artist A, artist B and artist C" allowed or should it be removed?

Those are fine.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:23 am 

Vadara wrote:
What's the qualifications for a song by a band already on the archives to be added?

Because I dunno if this is notable enough to appear on Signs of The Swarm's page:

It's technically a song from them, but it's non-metal video game song that they just did vocals over.

That can be mentioned in the band's additional notes. Or, if it's just the vocalist that contributed, his artist page.

If the band ever releases it in any form (download, not stream, or physical) under their name, it's fine to add to the disco.

Duisterling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:59 am 

The Version Description for this digital album reads "Bandcamp, Spotify, Itunes, Google Play, Amazon, Deezer, etc. Remastered".

Am I correct in assuming that can all be cleared except for the Remastered part?

EDIT: Preferably with the addition of "Available on <a href="URL">Bandcamp</a>." in the Additional Notes.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:13 am 

Yeah, that's a bit much. I'm personally not a fan of digital distributors going into the VD field at all, but at the very least if a release is as broad as this, it seems rather redundant to cram it all in there.

Only keep the remastered part. The notes are kind of a free-for-all in that regard, so if you want you can add something about the sites it was distributed on, yes.

Duisterling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:49 am 

Azmodes wrote:
I'm personally not a fan of digital distributors going into the VD field at all

Same here. Hence the Additional Notes comment; Antioch suggested adding that formulation when removing Bandcamp from the VD or as an alternative to adding Bandcamp to the VD in the first place. I liked this solution and have been using it since. (I stumbled across that post of Antioch's when trying to figure out via the search whether there already was any consensus on the whole 'digital distributor in the VD field' issue; from what I found at the time, it's still officially undecided and not much of a priority.)

cranial crusher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:24 pm 

I am bringin this discussion because this report was closed with no response from the mods.

As per the cover arts, all the releases of this band are under the name "Intelectual Moment" (one single L), instead of "Intellectual Moment" (double L). Also, all of them dates back from 1999-2004, when the band was indeed called "Intelectual Moment" instead of "Intellectual Moment".

The years active says: 1997-2006 (as Intelectual Moment), 2012-present but there's no page nor release for "Intelectual Moment".

In fact it is a minor change, but the question is, shouldn't band's name be updated to "Intelectual Moment" with all its releases accordingly?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:25 am 

No. As this is an extremely minor name change, the entry name itself can be updated without any of the releases actually having to reflect it. So the current state of the page looks fine as it is.

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:51 am 

Could it be please added to the written rules for the Bands Appeal forum., hat a band, which was previously blacklisted for not being metal, can't be whitelisted just based on a digital or physical single? One should think, that it wold be ccommon sense, but some recent requests show, that it is most likely needed. One example below, even if I know, that the situation is already partially covered by the _ no upcoming albums, no album teasers" rule:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=124043&p=2897572#p2897572

The_Black_Priest
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:20 am 

Can old redudant links be removed from a Band's webpage?

This band I added : https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Ra ... 3540304466 ; has this link : https://www.ubetoo.com/news/nasty-c-inv ... -ceremony/ in the Official Links Section. Since, it has no relation with the band, can such links be removed?

Also, what about the links that are no longer working.
Eg : http://myspace.com/ramayanaswe ------ This particular link doesn't work. Should we remove it or keep it as it is for Archival Purpose?

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:25 am 

I was told personally by Azmodes, about the change of rules for the Band Appeals forum in a thrad, namely that a band can be bumped first after a week, while the second condition is, that the original thread slides back to the third page of the forum. It seemshowever, that about 90 percent of the users did not register this change, so it would be perhaps useful to announce it on the main siteK? TThis post , along with recently bumped posts aboabout August Burns Red and Dead (Aus) and other similar postings demonstrate just that:
viewtopic.php?f=27&p=2899309#p2899309

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:48 pm 

The_Black_Priest wrote:
Can old redudant links be removed from a Band's webpage?

This band I added : https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Ra ... 3540304466 ; has this link : https://www.ubetoo.com/news/nasty-c-inv ... -ceremony/ in the Official Links Section. Since, it has no relation with the band, can such links be removed?

Also, what about the links that are no longer working.
Eg : http://myspace.com/ramayanaswe ------ This particular link doesn't work. Should we remove it or keep it as it is for Archival Purpose?

That's a random news article and definitely should not have been added. You can type old websites into https://archive.org/web/ to retrieve lost/deleted information. If nothing can be found there, feel free to nuke the link.

Witcher wrote:
I was told personally by Azmodes, about the change of rules for the Band Appeals forum in a thrad, namely that a band can be bumped first after a week, while the second condition is, that the original thread slides back to the third page of the forum. It seemshowever, that about 90 percent of the users did not register this change, so it would be perhaps useful to announce it on the main siteK? TThis post , along with recently bumped posts aboabout August Burns Red and Dead (Aus) and other similar postings demonstrate just that:
viewtopic.php?f=27&p=2899309#p2899309

I don't think we need a main site update asking users to allow time before bumping their threads. There is a stickied announcement at the top of the subforum with guidelines to follow which users are supposed to read before posting, and if they don't, it's easy to refer them to it. If "band stealing" becomes a common issue, I'm sure the admins will post an announcement when they feel the time is right.

~Guest 318854
Rare Earth Metal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:43 pm 

Hey, does the word "on" should be capitalized or lowercase after a first word for Metallum? Because I seen many songs with the word "on" capitalized after a first word in many song titles and even album titles. If in that sense the word "on" should be lowercase and not capitalized to the song titles and album titles, so can I ask for permission to change it in every song or album title where I see this present? Best regards!

I will let some examples, here:
https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/6 ... que/337378
https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/A ... ows/151662
https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/A ... ias/759634
https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/A ... kes/158842
https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/A ... tyr/406588
https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/A ... %21/324141

Last edited by ~Guest 318854 on Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:45 pm 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiped ... al_letters

It depends on whether it's being used as a preposition or a particle of a phrasal verb.

"Fog on the Mountain" - preposition, should be lowercase.
"Turn On the Light" - phrasal verb, should be uppercase.

~Guest 318854
Rare Earth Metal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:54 pm 

Midnightwards666 wrote:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Manual_of_Style/Titles#Capital_letters

It depends on whether it's being used as a preposition or a phrasal verb.

"Fog on the Mountain" - preposition, should be lowercase.
"Turn On the Light" - phrasal verb, should be uppercase.

This means that I must identify when it is in preposition or phrasal verb.

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:56 pm 

If you wish to determine its correctness, yes.

~Guest 318854
Rare Earth Metal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:58 pm 

Thanks Midnightwards666 for the wiki article! Really I didn't want to do anything based on speculations. Many thanks!

Last edited by ~Guest 318854 on Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:00 pm 

Absolutely, we shouldn't speculate. If you're not 100% sure, just leave it.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 39  Next