Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
0th
Suicidal Angel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:49 pm 

Is "Re-release" a redundant word in "Version description"?
http://www.metal-archives.com/search/ad ... re=#albums

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:04 am 

I don't think we (yet?) make a distinction between repress, reissue and whatever like Discogs does, so I suppose it's redundant.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:19 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
I don't think we (yet?) make a distinction between repress, reissue and whatever like Discogs does, so I suppose it's redundant.

For what it's worth, the only instance where I use Reissue (not Rerelease) is when an album is reissued several years later on the same label with the same cat no (and, at times, even the same barcode). Atlantic, Metal Blade, Geffen, etc all press such reissues, and the former label doesn't even bother changing the date on the back cover so as to reflect that. Repress is for a version that's issued the same year as its parent, has the same format but differs in some other way. Is that OK? Or should I not be doing this?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:53 pm 

I guess that's alright, but I'm not exactly up-to-date with how versions are currently handled. I still think there is a lot to improve and change.

Krister Jensen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:29 am 

Can you please add a reminder onto Tuomas Norjanen Project page not to add Tuomas' solo stuff like this upcoming album. I contacted him on FB, he comfirmed that this (and I'm sure there will be many more) doesn't belong to the project, it's non-metal anyway.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:16 am 

If it's considered a different project/band, why don't you add it as an unlisted band, KJ? Regular users will then know what's going on; noobs won't even know what the warning's about and will add it anyway. ;)

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:20 am 

Unless people are constantly adding it, I don't think a warning is necessary.

You could however add something like "Not to be confused with his eponymous solo-project." or similar to the notes. Also, what Antioch said.

Krister Jensen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:48 am 

Got it, thanks guys!

theunrelentingattack
Not yet ready for a custom title

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:14 am 

Krister Jensen wrote:
Got it, thanks guys!

Since you're contacting him - could you just convince him to give his projects an actual band name? That might solve this too. :)

MasterOfSin
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:18 pm 

In this two last days i added two albums in two band that they change a little bit the name, i don't know is there necessary a entry as new band or moderator can change the name are these two:

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Astral/3540357445
Astral -> Astral Experience

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Aft ... 3540370324
Afterlife -> Afterlife Symphony

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:36 am 

Just a relatively minor question: Considering that if a new version of an album contains re-recorded stuff it get a new entry on the band page, shouldn't the 2004 remaster of Megadeth's "Rust in Peace" receive a new entry, as well?
I like keeping my sword wet, like a young girl in her prime.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:07 am 

Remasters are generally not considering sonically different enough to warrant a new entry.

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:12 am 

Yes but...

Additional notes wrote:
When remastering the album for this release, the original lead vocal tracks for "Take No Prisoners", "Rust in Peace... Polaris", "Five Magics" and "Lucretia" were all missing. Dave Mustaine recorded new vocal tracks for "Take No Prisoners" and "Rust in Peace... Polaris", while unused alternate takes from the original sessions were utilised for "Lucretia" and "Five Magics".

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:14 am 

Obviously not important enough to need a new entry... This is not Meshuggah's Nothing or something.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:17 am 

^ OK.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:32 am 

I see. That'd be a partial re-recording as well, then. Still, just a version of the original release should be fine. Entirely separate entries should be the exception rather than the rule.

EpicDismemberment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:57 pm 

Hi, guys. which is more proper between "Shaped picture disc" or "Shape, Picture disc"?

theunrelentingattack
Not yet ready for a custom title

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:33 pm 

EpicDismemberment wrote:
Hi, guys. which is more proper between "Shaped picture disc" or "Shape, Picture disc"?

Shaped picture disc for sure. The latter is ugly.

EpicDismemberment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:30 pm 

Ok, thanks for the reply, TUA.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:48 pm 

Seconding TUA's recommendation.

lunaterra
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:37 am 

Azmodes wrote:
TvvrAskesis wrote:
Just to make sure: an album of re-recorded older songs (by a bands new/current/re-united lineup) is considered a full-length, not a compilation, right?

Yes. The (change in) lineup isn't really a factor, just the fact that it was newly recorded from scratch.

This is a pretty old post, so I'd just like to ask if this is still policy? I'm hesitant to change this from "Compilation" to "Full-length" when it's only got two original songs and is being explicitly marketed as a "greatest hits" album. But the old songs are re-recorded, and I listened to them earlier and they're audibly pretty different from the originals (can't find samples on YT besides this short trailer, sorry). So...I guess it's a full-length? Even though it's a greatest hits album?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:22 am 

Yeah, technically a full-length, but I concede that it's counter-intuitive. :| Then again, it's not much different from this one (even has original material too) and for some reason I'm much less reluctant to call it a full-length. Maybe it's just because of the title.

It wouldn't be wrong to change the category. Regardless, I think this merits some mod discussion.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:57 am 

Antioch wrote:
If a band had a digital release of 17:30 mins, good 5 minutes of which were instrumental intros, interludes, etc., leaving 12:00 mins of solid quality metal, would this be considered a valid release? Or is it that when a digital release is this short, it's no longer about being predominantly metal yet fully metal?

theunrelentingattack wrote:
Antioch - every case is unique but your example would almost certainly get rejected for no valid release. If you're in the 20-30 minute mark, then this has a chance of passing through but with something that's less than our recommended standards already - it would really need to be a damn quality recording and fully metal.

I decided against submitting back then; however, seeing that the queue is in better shape now, is it OK to submit to have more opinions?

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:06 pm 

The standard is around 20 minutes of metal music for digital-only bands, preferably.

We're flexible around that given quantity, however, 12 minutes of metal is not going to cut it. The best thing to do is wait for the band to release more material.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:10 pm 

That's the thing, though. I think it is/was more of a project than a band. It's on hold and, I think, will remain so for the foreseeable future.*
I don't have a counter argument to what you (or TUA previously) said. My main argument, which I would've included in the submission notes, would've had to do with the fact that many of the musicians involved - past and present - are already listed here, and the addition could serve an encyclopaedic purpose.
I wouldn't want the rules bent to have a band added, but when I feel an exception could be made, I tend to think why not, coming from the case-by-case basis TUA referred to.
Let's leave it for now. *No need to jump into conclusions.

~Guest 368187
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:57 pm 

For the choir artist entries, is it OK to give each of the artists in the choir individual credit instead of credit as one group, or should they just be given credit as one group?

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:04 pm 

Seems pretty silly to do it the way he did. If the individuals involved aren't known, it's fine to add a "choir" group and mark it as a genderless entity, but saying "See additional notes" and then listing the artists there anyway just seems lazy.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

~Guest 368187
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:21 pm 

OK, thanks Diamhea.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:04 am 

I dunno about silly/lazy. Krister Jensen asked me about this a month ago and this is what I told him:
Quote:
Yeah, if they're credited as a single entity, it's fine to add them as such. One of the reason we have the "Unknown/other" category for gender, actually. [..] [I]f both the ensemble as a whole and its members are credited [..] add only the orchestra to the lineup and mention the members in the bio section of the orchestra's artist page.

That's no firm rule, mind you, and indeed debatable. Just what I considered reasonable to document these entities at the time. It's certainly something for the staff to discuss and codify.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:15 am 

In this instance, we are only talking about a dozen or so individuals. I would understand if the number was much higher.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:48 am 

My own instinct is to go by what is actually credited on the release. So if it's credited as a single entity, you treat it as such. If the individuals within that entity are credited, then in that case it would be best to credit each individually. It would be nice if there was a more elegant way of crediting individuals within an entity on the entity's page, though.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

Krister Jensen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:07 am 

Can you please add "2017" year item to the release date field? There's an upcoming album for 2017.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:04 pm 

You're a little too early. The system automatically adds the next year on October 1st. You'll have to wait a couple days before you can add that album.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

Krister Jensen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:10 pm 

Got it, didn't know about this.

~Guest 366798
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:31 pm 

Not sure if some of this goes here, excuse me if it doesn't;

First, which was the second band added to the archives? Because I can't find it, Amorphis was the first and Blind Guardian was the third, but the second was removed, right?

Also, why was Animals as Leaders before the V2 on the archives?

Oh, and are releases qualified by their length or by the quantity of tracks?, I mean, I have a 4-song album, the total length of the album is something of 30 minutes, is this an EP or a full-length?

That's all, thanks for any answers and excuse me for my bad english as always.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:41 pm 

Ask the first two questions here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=114257

Concerning the third, we go by what the band considers it.

Last.fm

~Guest 368187
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:30 pm 

MetalMuxxer wrote:
Not sure if some of this goes here, excuse me if it doesn't;

First, which was the second band added to the archives? Because I can't find it, Amorphis was the first and Blind Guardian was the third, but the second was removed, right?

Second band was Testband1 and fifth was Testband2, viewtopic.php?f=2&t=95035

Krister Jensen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:29 am 

I feel this has to be clarified a little:

Year of formation/activity years ranges
I've been coming across lots of entries with these two being confused, most recent, where the stated year of formation actually belonged to the previous incarnation of the band, not the one that was actually formed under the current name. I presume it's correct to say that the only case the formation year can be shared by both names is when there was a minor name change and both are metal and actually have releases on MA (or when it's known there is an unlisted metal release), like Rhapsody/Rhapsody of Fire or Himinbjørg/Himinbjorg. What do you think? It's stated in the Help page, but not very clear.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:09 am 

Pretty much. The "Formed in" field should always reflect when the subject of the entry first became active under the name(s) subsumed under that entry. It should not refer to another entry's formation year, even if that entry is a previous incarnation of the band.

There is a lot of inconsistency regarding this and a lot of entries in need of editing.

Krister Jensen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:04 am 

I wonder if it's possible to make it searchable, the bands that were active under other names. so that we can deal with them all properly?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 39  Next