Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:47 pm 

I got a "You must enter a source/proof for the information provided. It always helps to have an official source (even if you have first-hand knowledge), but otherwise provide the most credible source you can find, or explain how you know this information."

well meaning, for sure, but I don't think it will deter the trolls, while it might put off people who do not wish to spell out "I know this because I checked my dictionary, google and the packaging of the ice cream I just ate and "Cream" is not spelled "Craem"..."

again, just my 2 cents. obviously I'll stop reporting too, now.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:52 pm 

Yup this is now live.

I know what you mean, but what you call 'trolls' are more often than not well meaning users who just fail to read the guidelines or understand how the report system functions. Part of allowing anyone (even unregistered users) to flag reports is the abundance of unlearned individuals, so hopefully this short prompt will sort of steer people toward providing proof on a more regular basis. If anything it will: 1. help prevent the huge backlog of unsourced, unworkable reports that currently make up over half of the queue and 2. Subtly force people to go through some fucking effort when they flag these.

I think it is a great idea.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:36 pm 

The whole bit about "I'll stop reporting" rubs me the wrong way, honestly. We're not asking much for reports; we simply want to know what the issue is and where you got your information. For some reports, like typos, that's a given and we're working on a solution for that (so you wont have to provide a source for those types of "common sense" issues). But for other reports that are not so straight-forward, we shouldn't have to bounce around the Internet hoping to find the source for the report's info when the reporter ought to have made it available to us in the first place. When a person fails to provide a source for reports like that, I can guarantee it that, that report will remain in the queue untouched for days, weeks, sometimes even months. Either we end up waiting for the reporter to reply again and give us a source or a mod may have to spend a fair bit of their time searching to confirm that the information that is in the report is true. It will languish in the queue because the legwork is unnecessary there and nobody wants to do it. This could all be solved if the person providing the report gave us their source to begin with; more often than not people making reports just don't know or bother because they either don't have to or don't understand that we rely on verification. I totally expect that we will continue getting the "my buddy told me this" reports and the "lol, isn't it obvious?" reports, but my hope is that by requiring the source field it may lead some folks to think twice and reconsider including a source. It would sure make everything run smoothly. So, please, don't "stop reporting" simply because we are requesting folks to back up what they report.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:50 pm 

^ All this is true, but I just modified it a bit so that it doesn't actually require the source for report categories that should be obvious based on what is on the site, such as typos, broken images, and the like. Even though aloof has the rank to fix that stuff and doesn't need to send reports about ice "craem".

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:17 am 

I think she was joking about stopping reporting.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:51 am 

wait wasnt this always the case?

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:01 am 

kind masters, yes, I was joking, and "craem" was an exaggerated example... since not all categories require a source now, things should be easier. I'll definitely not stop reporting, or fixing things I know how to :)

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:06 am 

tomcat_ha wrote:
wait wasnt this always the case?

Well it always prompted, but now it forces the user to provide a source/proof for certain report criteria.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Reply to topic