Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:51 am 

I used to work on that queue all the time. I double-check almost all of them, yes, but some need more attention than others.

Quote:
and even supervise/give advice - @HouseSpiders: that's not really mini-modding

And where exactly did I say it was? We verify that the report has been handled correctly, close and generally get the final say... I do it sometimes too. What I meant by mini-modding is sending notifications to users in place of moderator warnings... I think I saw something like that once but I don't remember it well. I can't really think of any other ways to mini-mod the queue.

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:05 pm 

Antioch wrote:
If the report seems a little problematic or open for interpretation, I'll double check what they've done.

Is there any type of situation that I consistently handle wrong? What should I change about my approach?

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:12 pm 

HouseSpiders wrote:
And where exactly did I say it was? We verify that the report has been handled correctly, close and generally get the final say... I do it sometimes too. What I meant by mini-modding is sending notifications to users in place of moderator warnings...

That's my point. I tag the user who handled the report telling him how it should've been handled, or refer him to a forum thread where he can find some answers. Explaining things can be time-consuming but definitely useful, as opposed to having to deal with the same mistakes over and over again.

@tahu: That's not what I meant. I said I'd double check, but wouldn't necessarily handle things differently.

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:20 pm 

Antioch wrote:
@tahu: That's not what I meant. I said I'd double check, but wouldn't necessarily handle things differently.

I wasn't getting defensive there, sorry if it appeared that way. I'm just genuinely curious if there's anything in particular I haven't handled very well.

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:13 pm 

Antioch wrote:
That's my point. I tag the user who handled the report telling him how it should've been handled, or refer him to a forum thread where he can find some answers. Explaining things can be time-consuming but definitely useful, as opposed to having to deal with the same mistakes over and over again.

Well as it's up to us to close the report and verify that the resolver has done their job properly, I wouldn't say it's mini-modding either (although who are we to define it)... I think you even sent one of those tags to me once.

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 6:27 pm 

Storm of the Light's Bane appears to be making the report queue very easy for everyone else... only 6 in the queue right now! I think it's the lowest I've ever seen it. It's always nice to have some recognition occasionally, so keep up the great work! It would look even better if there weren't so many unclosed resolved reports... but that's if anyone feels like closing them.

~Guest 368187
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:06 pm 

And the resolved queue has been cleared! Absolutely excellent work, PaganiusI!

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:12 pm 

It was dating back 'till mid-2017. I just couldn't resist ;) Also there isn't much left to do since you got the regular reports fully under your control :-D
Thanks to you for clearing out the reports I wasn't quite sure about.

J__Ason
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:53 pm 

Damn good work, you two. There's nothing more motivating for a humble mid-tier user like myself to work on reports than having them close quickly. Or maybe that's just me autistically checking for followup to everything.

I've been working on the Assigned queue sporadically over the last few months, clearing or helping clear like 40 old forgotten reports and mostly avoiding stepping on toes while doing so. So that's my minor involvement in the clean-up effort. Yay. Go me. I'd continue but I guess two goofs is too many? Because my ability to reassign mods' and knights' reports seems to have been revoked. Or maybe this is a change affecting everyone below knights?

EpicDismemberment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:16 pm 

Wow... just wow. I'm a bit surprised when woke up this morning (local time) and saw nothing left in the resolved queue. Absolutely good work. Cheers!

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:26 pm 

J__Ason wrote:
I've been working on the Assigned queue sporadically over the last few months, clearing or helping clear like 40 old forgotten reports and mostly avoiding stepping on toes while doing so. So that's my minor involvement in the clean-up effort. Yay. Go me. I'd continue but I guess two goofs is too many? Because my ability to reassign mods' and knights' reports seems to have been revoked. Or maybe this is a change affecting everyone below knights?

It's not just you, it's a change affecting everyone. I am a knight, and I can reassign other knights' reports, but not mods'. It's the same on my second account with zero points. I know you had good intentions, but you shouldn't have changed the report assigned to Derigin - yes, mods do often assign reports then later forget them, but in that report there was clearly a lot of research and work needed. He only assigned himself to the report a month before you changed the status, and one month is far too short for assuming he's forgotten the report. Perhaps he was in communication with the artists and waiting for information... we don't know.

As for reports that actually have been forgotten, the mods probably prefer to receive polite reminders than have their reports unassigned or closed... I can only guess by this change. Previously, many reports had been forgotten and we weren't checking that queue as much as we should've been, which is why many lasted years. You can still help though - just let me know if you see a likely forgotten report, then I will look and notify the mod if I agree.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:22 am 

J__Ason wrote:
I've been working on the Assigned queue sporadically over the last few months, clearing or helping clear like 40 old forgotten reports and mostly avoiding stepping on toes while doing so. So that's my minor involvement in the clean-up effort. Yay. Go me.

Good to see you here, J__Ason. I thought Dia had banned you from the forum. Don't seem to be sure or remember why, though. If you feel like doing some work, feel free to go through my assigned reports. Set those which are stagnating to resolved and I'll close them later, or ask the band members for input via Facebook. I'm quite regressive when it comes to social media. I trust you with them. Don't feel obliged, though.

J__Ason
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:52 pm 

Antioch wrote:
Good to see you here, J__Ason. I thought Dia had banned you from the forum. Don't seem to be sure or remember why, though. If you feel like doing some work, feel free to go through my assigned reports. Set those which are stagnating to resolved and I'll close them later, or ask the band members for input via Facebook. I'm quite regressive when it comes to social media. I trust you with them. Don't feel obliged, though.

Cheers! Yeah, I said a thing that was meant to be taken as banter but came across too harsh to be taken as such, and I guess that was one time too many of me being an immature shit so I got permabanned. I was allowed to make an alternate account (the original is just J_Ason, one underscore) so I can post here for sitework-related things. Not sure if I'm allowed in the other forums though...

I'll take a look at those reports.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:05 am 

I see. :nono: :-P

Most appreciated, J__Ason. :)

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:35 pm 

With the report queue consistently in the single digits, what are we supposed to do with reports lacking sufficient sources? Surely a lot more than 4 sourceless reports are submitted on a daily basis. I don't think I saw many in the assigned queue either. Do we just outright close them now? There used to be hundreds of reports floating idly in the queue with nothing but a reporter and a higher ranked user asking for a source... what happened to them?

~Guest 368187
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:19 pm 

I often close those reports and leave a comment telling the reporter to flag a new report with a valid source.

EpicDismemberment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:35 am 

Hi guys, just want to add this. For me, I do the same what Storm does, mark those reports as resolved and tell them to flag a new report with a valid source. Unless there is some clue worth to make a further investigation.

~Guest 368187
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:13 pm 

If nobody minds, can someone take care of the report queue for me this week? I'd highly appreciate it, as I'm not going to have access to a computer for the rest of the week. Thanks.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:23 pm 

Don't worry about it young man.

Esteroth666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 12:12 pm 

I have no clue as to what to do in this situation. Someone was credited as "M" for doing lyrics on track #3 and there are thousands of artists listed as "M" and to avoid duplicated entries I asked the person who made the report to provide me any info about this person such as bands he plays in or played for, real name or anything that could possibly lead me to him if he's already listed on here but he said even if he is it's probably under a different name so I thought of just adding the info on the additional notes instead of making a new profile and add him to the line up. so anybody has any idea as to what I should do?

https://www.metal-archives.com/report/view/id/674646

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 8:51 am 

Just add a new artist. There's nothing wrong with that. We can always merge duplicates once there's official proof that two artist profiles are in fact the same person.

Esteroth666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:29 pm 

should the word "than" be capitalized in a title? I've seen countless of album/song titles with "than" either capitalized and lowercase. I've seen websites that says it should be capitalized and others says it does not.

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:01 pm 

Esteroth666 wrote:
should the word "than" be capitalized in a title? I've seen countless of album/song titles with "than" either capitalized and lowercase. I've seen websites that says it should be capitalized and others says it does not.

viewtopic.php?p=2539471#p2539471

Duisterling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:37 pm 

Just a question about how the report system exactly works when it comes to communication. I know I don't receive a notification when a report I submitted has been dealt with and it seems I only get notified that someone has replied to it when this is through the 'Mod has requested input from User' function. Am I correct in assuming that users who submitted a report or any user/mod who is assigned to a report do not receive any notifications when someone adds a new comment, unless it's a mod requesting input?

EDIT: Sorry, I realise I should probably have posted this in the site-related questions thread. My bad.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:51 pm 

That's correct. The input request feature is entirely optional and only available to staff and Metal knights.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:40 am 

The report queue is currently sitting at 896, a backlog I haven't seen since before Diamhea made the queue his domain. Anyone with some free time, feel free to join me in wading through the muck.

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:07 am 

Anyone who speaks Swedish that might be able to verify the proof on this report?

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

KingSpooky
The Man, The Machine, The Legend

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:29 pm 

As the band queue has recently been getting more caught up, I've been able to spend more time on reports (which had been sitting at over 1,000 for many weeks). If anyone feels like helping out with them, it would be appreciated and can then allow them to be dealt with in a more timely manner. There are 118 currently in the category of 'Re-releases, other versions' where additional pressings/versions of releases can be added. These kind of reports are usually very straightforward. Thanks in advance for any time and effort you're able to put into getting the report queue back to a lower quantity.

KingSpooky

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:50 pm 

Now down to 759 reports - thanks for the extra help. It would be awesome if reports could be taken care of within 2-3 days of coming in, tops, to keep information as current as possible on the site and not have important updates take weeks or months to confirm and enter in (and so that the issues can be looked into thoroughly, instead of trying to make headway and wanting to just get them out of the way and back down to a reasonable number). Hopefully the number will keep decreasing until we don't have a huge backlog that prevents them from being dealt with in a more ideal manner. If you feel like helping out at all, even just one or two here and there ends up making a difference and adding up.

GraveWish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:01 pm 

I will just throw these suggestions here. If you give more access to contributors, then the reports queue will be dealt with much faster and the moderators will concentrate on the reports that really needs moderation attention instead of spending their time deleting orphan artists and wrong pictures - things that anyone can do without harming the site. Furthermore, the input request feature should be available to more ranks for better and faster communication.

KingSpooky

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:00 pm 

Yes - particularly the input request feature would be helpful for Metal Demons to be able to use, in my opinion. I liked the idea that Zodijackyl brought up recently also, of creating a 4th tab, 'awaiting response' within the reports categories - so that those aren't mixed in with 'unassigned' - would help organization a lot, and there wouldn't be as much time spent repeatedly opening the same report that you can't go anywhere with until a response comes in.

Planetary_Misfortune
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:21 am 

Couldn't easily find an answer to this - what's the difference between "Resolved" and "Closed"? Asking because I'm trying my hand at working the queue with whatever I am able with my rank and in some cases I've been able to complete the report (Adding new versions, limitations, etc) but I can only mark as "resolved".

As I don't know what this means, I am adding a note on each report to say what i've done and if it is completed. Is this the best way at my rank to deal with it? Does it take it out of the queue or what?

KingSpooky

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:42 am 

Cmg, thanks for the help. Marking a report as resolved will take it out of the queue, and closing is just something that moderators do after taking a second look (which often won't happen soon afterward, so the resolved reports will stack up in the meantime).

Planetary_Misfortune
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:36 am 

KingSpooky wrote:
Cmg, thanks for the help. Marking a report as resolved will take it out of the queue, and closing is just something that moderators do after taking a second look (which often won't happen soon afterward, so the resolved reports will stack up in the meantime).

You're welcome, and thank you too for the explanation, it makes sense. I guess it's a 'check' to make sure the reports are fully resolved correctly before they're truncated. I've been working the queue a bit more today - I don't know if it's because I have ADHD and Autism, or because I'm a fan of things being followed to completion but I really enjoy doing this which is a bit odd lol.
Looking forward to one day becoming a "Veteran" so I can work more reports rather than look at them with a wistful " I know how to handle this, but I can't yet".

KingSpooky

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:35 pm 

Reports have been steadily somewhere between 450-580 lately (once dropping below 400 within the last couple of weeks). Currently they're at 562. Keeping up with the pace that they come in at hasn't been a problem. With the number above 400, though, updates (some important) can get lost in the pile and end up taking months to be dealt with.

Considering that we've been keeping up with the ones that come in for the last several weeks, if 5 people who normally don't do reports solved 3 per day + 5 people who are in the report queue regularly did 3 more than usual per day, in 3 weeks we could be down to basically dealing with them as they come in, and the backlog would be low or nonexistent.

If you're interested in working on reports but have questions about how to properly solve some of them, it's really easy to sign up for Discord and then go to #site-work, or post within the forum.

imnobody213
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:08 pm 

:)

KingSpooky

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:23 pm 

Reports in queue are under 100 now - awesome job, and thanks for the help. There are 45 that came in during 2020 or earlier that are assigned to people at the moment. Some might still just be waiting on a response or research that you intend to do, but if they're on the backburner and pretty much forgotten about, feel free to unassign them so that they can be dealt with.

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:44 pm 

I have done exactly , as you have told, spooky and I was oly unassigning really old reports or reports, which were assigned by a mistake for example by a musician, who wanted to correct the info about his band, when I suddenly got this warning form Obsius Cato:
Stop unnasigning reports IMMEDIATELY.

You are not one to choose whether someone keeps their reports assigned or not. People solve their assignments how/when they're able to, and unassigning people's reports without even asking is rude and wrong.

STOP IMMEDIATELY.

I gues, that's what you get for trying to help.

KingSpooky

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:06 pm 

Originally I wrote the post referring to people that have reports assigned to them, if they'd like to they can put them back into the queue, since we've been getting caught up and finally got below 100. I noticed you'd started unassigning some, and actually thought that would be helpful and did so with several as well (specifically reports that were put in 6 months ago that weren't assigned to moderators) - actually, I just got done solving a bunch of them and thought of it as being helpful rather than rude - different for how anybody would look at it though, I guess. Just glad to see the new and old reports down so much over the last week. Sorry for the miscommunication.

imnobody213
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:11 pm 

Maybe unassign more when the report queue is down to 50 (in my opinion).

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next