Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 368187
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:20 am 

tahu157 wrote:
So, for those of us that are not able to ping a user for more information, is it acceptable to mark useless reports as resolved? E.g reports where the reporter says they're a representative of the band and nothing else? I remember seeing a post on this thread about pinging the reporter for more information, closing the report, and moving on but I'm not sure if I should do that as well since I can't attract the reporter's attention back to the report.

Can you provide the report? Anyway, before I was a knight I would ask for whatever I needed, and wait for a mod or knight to request the users attention, but I would not mark it as resolved.

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:16 am 

Storm of the Light's Bane wrote:
Can you provide the report? Anyway, before I was a knight I would ask for whatever I needed, and wait for a mod or knight to request the users attention, but I would not mark it as resolved.

It's no one report in particular and I don't have any good examples on hand, but basically I'm talking about any of the reports that propose some drastic change, usually to the lineup, and only say that they're in the band and that we should take their word for it as proof, which we obviously won't do. So far I've just been ignoring them since I can't do anything productive with them. But in recent weeks it seems like I'm ignoring more reports than I'm completing and I want to change that. If resolving useless reports is the way to go then I will do that, but I want some sort of approval before I start resolving tons of reports without making changes.

My expectation is to get a no on this one, but I thought I'd ask.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:21 am 

If a visitor report doesn't provide the required info and it isn't a change that can be quickly checked manually, close it. No point in leaving reports to stagnate like this. If the users don't adhere to the site policy that's on them, not you.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:52 pm 

^ Noted

Pag
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:26 am 

Greetings, I would like to have Your opinions concerning two of the reports I took assignment for :

About Pissgrave ; a visitor presenting himself as the vocalist/guitarist asked to delete two (ex-)bands Pissgrave's drummer is affiliated with.
I've actually contacted Tim Mellon (vox/guitars in Pissgrave) through his official fb account and he contest being the said visitor (and confirmed his brother was actually in the two bands asked for removal).
His answers sounds far more relevant than the report to me. Would you consider legit to close it ? (report here)

This (minor) other one is about adding (what seems to be the user's) label to the band's later releases. Though a label link appears on band's official and available information sources, none of the said releases do mention it. As the report is from a "banned user", I'm curious about how that goes here (it requests line-up edition too).

Advices from members having encountered this kind of reports would be appreciated.
Cheers

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:36 pm 

For the first one if you contacted the band directly and they said that the visitor's report is wrong then it's probably a case of vandalism. Can you ask Tim Mellon if there was any drama in the band that would cause someone to want to get certain members removed from the lineup?

Emptiness Cycle
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:02 am 

Just cleared 150 reports from the queue. Go go team strikeforce!

Midnight Rider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:16 am 

S9NE did reports for artists needing to be removed, as they were only listed to blacklisted bands.
I closed all, hoping that I was able to get rid of them, but I can't as they are only linked to drafts.
I gave him all the well-earned points. May a staff member remove them? sorry about this.

K. Campbell / A. Richins / J. Wheatley / A. Richins / H. Davies / A. McKinnon / Trey / D. Alonzo / J. Frazier

~Guest 368187
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:28 am 

^ Yea, us knights can't remove artists that are linked to draft bands, MR.

Midnight Rider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:30 am 

You learn something new everyday. ;) Thanks SotLB!

Emptiness Cycle
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:33 pm 

already done it.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 2:56 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/report/view/id/593847

Would the separate track lists prohibit these from being child entries of one another?

EDIT
http://www.metal-archives.com/report/view/id/599569 as well. I guess the new question is what is the site policy on different format releases of the same live concert? Would it still be acceptable to house them all as child entries? Does a different tracklist or content affect if they are child entries or independent of each other?

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 3:34 am 

With apologies to Dia, who is gonna wake up with a ton of report notifications, I've vetted pretty much all of the duplicate entry/should be removed reports in the queue, and either closed them out, in the case of artists, or tagged Dia to have entries deleted to close out reports. A good 30 or so should be closed when he's done.

BastardHead wrote:

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:05 pm 

I just had a look in the queue of assigned reports, and noticed there are quite a few that appear inactive since years, most assigned to one particular mod, who can possibly explain it here. What is the best thing to do with such reports? Close them? Set them back to unassigned? Leave them? Ask the user who took assignment for updates on the report?

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:51 am 

Most are forgotten about. Just send a notification to whomever they are assigned to.

I would say just close them outright, but we might as well err on the side of caution in case somebody managed to dig something up. In many instances, more reports were flagged later on and situations were solved, rendering some assigned reports obsolete.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:02 pm 

Well, you have about 20 of them or even more in your reports, so I'll let you know here in case you want to take a look before you log on with a huge number of notifications. Or I can just close all your reports, if that's what you want? As for the rest, I might go through them some time, and try to clean inactive reports up a bit.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:29 am 

Don't send notifications. Just take a cursory look then close them.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:50 am 

I ran across this report here asking us to remove lyrics on their albums or else they are going to get cut from their label, for some reason. I can't tell if the lyrics where ever published publicly. They don't appear to have a bandcamp page or a website at all really. All of their links are to filesharing sites. I'm leaning towards not making any changes but I wasn't sure.

EDIT: The guy who added the album is also the guy who made the report. There are no lyrics edits on the album change log so he added the lyrics himself when he added the album. Still don't know if they are officially published elsewhere.

https://www.metal-archives.com/report/v ... 0/show/all

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:37 pm 

I have a few hours to spare tonight. I'll be in some sort of a waiting room for a few hours with no one else around, so... not much to do. What's the priority? Old reports? New reports? Certain categories?

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:19 pm 

Are there any general guidelines for the knights and moderators on the usage of ''attention requesting'', or is it entirely the user's choice? I haven't really seen anything posted on this subject. Personally, I actually prefer not to overuse this power - the user logs on with a ''notice from administration'', and I think this notification can initially be quite frightening. Not to point any fingers, but in this report, the last request didn't even come with any particular input request, as well as the fact that multiple were sent in quite a short space of time. The reporting user seemed dedicated enough to his report. I am certain I have also seen a few instances of knights using this feature for unnecessary mini-modding, although I don't have any examples right now.

In short: do we have any general guidelines? Are we encouraged to use only when requesting input or if attention is absolutely necessary, or is usage free for us to decide?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:59 am 

No concrete guidelines, no. Use at your own discretion. It's fine for both critical stuff that needs input and simply making people aware of something.

Not sure what else needs saying other than the obvious things like don't spam or don't send multiple messages for the same thing when the previous ones aren't yet marked read? :P Seems hard to abuse and Knights are vetted to some degree and expected not to behave stupidly anyway.

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:34 pm 

Having thought about it, that makes sense. I saw many using when I wouldn't have, and wanted to ask about potential unwritten guidelines (eg. avoiding use unless user's attention is absolutely necessary)... but given how long ago we implemented ''input request'', such guidelines would probably have been said a long time ago if they existed. For that reason, other rules probably are indeed limited to obvious as said. I have noticed you also tend not to press that button much.

Also, is there any hope of knights being able to re-open closed reports or delete their own input requests to other users? Sadly, even our highest ranked users make errors from time to time, and this would allow much easier revertion. I know knights are not staff, but they're trusted not to misbehave, so I feel allowing them to re-open closed reports is reasonable... especially if it's their own.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:48 am 

I will talk to HellBlazer about that.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:57 pm 

Can I also make a few report-queue-related requests to be brought up with the webmasters as well?

I posted this back in May 2017 in the Site Suggestions thread, but got no answer. I really think these would be helpful to Knights working the queue.

MetalCuresHeadaches wrote:
Can we please grant Metal Knights the ability to delete albums, or at the very least child entries? It feels kind of silly that we can move and merge child and parent entries, but we can't delete errant versions like this or this that are either unfortunate duplicates, or the common entries created when low-ranking users try to "edit" a release by creating a new child version. With everything else the mod team does, there's no need for us to have to tag them each time a report like this is cleared up and an entry needs to be deleted.

In lieu of that (or perhaps in conjunction with it), can we change how many of the report categories automatically mark themselves red for moderator attention? I understand categories like Wrong Genre, which can only be resolved by a staffer, would benefit from automatically marking themselves for moderator attention, but other categories, specifically ones that can now be worked by Knights like Duplicate Entry, Should be Removed, Bootleg/Invalid Album and Re-release/Other Version, do not. The problem it creates in these categories is that reports that genuinely do need a moderator to stop by are already marked red, leaving Knights no other way to get a mod to look at/deal with a report with out picking one and tagging them in the report with a notification.

BastardHead wrote:

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:56 am 

Deleting albums would be unrecoverable if any knight decides to abuse it... otherwise, I don't see why not allow them.

As for reports being marked requiring moderator attention, it's known, and I've discussed it.

Azmodes wrote:
No harm in leaving them as they are.

https://www.metal-archives.com/board/vi ... =#p2148871

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:20 pm 

But that was over 5 years ago. And I point again to the issue that "reports that genuinely do need a moderator to stop by are already marked red, leaving Knights no other way to get a mod to look at/deal with a report with out picking one and tagging them in the report with a notification." That is especially true now that Dia is no longer a mod, so he's not there browsing the queue and responding to our need for a higher power to fix an issue.

BastardHead wrote:

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:18 pm 

I was just quoting the discussion... though actually, I think I agree more with you. There should also be an option to unmark reports like that... a few times I've seen it pressed by mistake. I've been wondering also why Dia is no longer a moderator.

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:42 pm 

MetalCuresHeadaches wrote:
Dia is no longer a mod

Huh, didn't know that happened. Don't blame him though. People treated him like shit from what I saw.

Also, the queue is down to just above 1000 reports.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:44 am 

tahu157 wrote:
People treated him like shit from what I saw.

You make it sound like he's sulking in a corner, brooding like a wuss. The guy didn't take shit from anyone. Stepping down can be a choice, you see.

EpicDismemberment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:27 am 

Antioch wrote:
The guy didn't take shit from anyone.

That's true from what I saw.

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:40 pm 

Antioch wrote:
tahu157 wrote:
People treated him like shit from what I saw.

You make it sound like he's sulking in a corner, brooding like a wuss. The guy didn't take shit from anyone. Stepping down can be a choice, you see.

I can see how my statement would come across like that, yeah. I have nothing but the utmost respect for Dia, his decision, and whatever his reason was. I still think Dia gets more than his fair share of shit from the average user, at least from what I've seen. I know he doesn't "take" it from anyone but people still try.

Tlacaxipehualiztli
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:59 am 

But wait, he quit for good? Mind you, the war with unresolved reports seems to have no end...

EpicDismemberment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:31 am 

How long does it take to closing the resolved reports? Currently, there are 791 reports waiting to be closed and I think cleaning the resolved reports in the queue is necessary too.

~Guest 368187
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:34 am 

^ I'll go through some of the resolved reports tonight.

EpicDismemberment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:55 am 

That's great to hear. The first one in the resolved queue is almost 1 year old.

Tlacaxipehualiztli
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:14 pm 

EpicDismemberment wrote:
How long does it take to closing the resolved reports? Currently, there are 791 reports waiting to be closed and I think cleaning the resolved reports in the queue is necessary too.

I clean it up every single day. And that's true there are old entries as well which probably should be closed (no response, no sources). However I double check EACH resolved report. So you shouldn't be surprised with number 791...

~Guest 368187
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:39 pm 

EpicDismemberment wrote:
That's great to hear. The first one in the resolved queue is almost 1 year old.

Well, it turns out I don't have as much time tonight as I thought I would. However, I have closed the reports you had resolved and made any extra edits/fixes if needed.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:25 pm 

Tlacaxipehualiztli wrote:
But wait, he quit for good? Mind you, the war with unresolved reports seems to have no end...

No, circumstantial issues. Plus I havent had internet for over a month. I can only post from my phone til the ~8th. I have to switch isps and get enough together to do that. Dont panic.

Last.fm

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:56 pm 

Thanks for the reassurance, hope to see you back soon.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:01 am 

Tlacaxipehualiztli wrote:
However I double check EACH resolved report.

I wouldn't treat reports resolved by say Paganius, cepit, tahu, etc. in the same way as other reports. If it's a line-up-change, suggestion-of-new-image, typo, or that-sort-of-thing report, I know for sure they'll get it right. If the report seems a little problematic or open for interpretation, I'll double check what they've done.

I know my quota of handled reports has dropped by 80-90% as of late, but that's what I used to do. I know what a perfectionist you can be, buddy, but if I were you, I'd monitor (and even supervise/give advice - @HouseSpiders: that's not really mini-modding) instead of double checking every report with the same measure of doubt.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next